Ncore V1 No Frame Water Block Prototype Sneak Peek

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Ncore V1 No Frame Water Block Prototype Sneak Peek

Ncore is a prototype water block that has made its way to us for testing, and it is interesting enough for use to give it some test bench time. This V1 model of the Ncore uses the LGA 1151 socket to mount it to your delidded Intel processor. This block is tiny compared to almost any other air or water cooler on the market. Let's see what it is about.

Waterblocks are usually so utilitarian except for some random RGB lighting. This is an absolutely beautiful piece of hardware, and the socket-based mounting is brilliant. I'm very curious to see how a watercooler will work without the increased surface area for heat transfer provided by the intel heat spreader and larger block combo.

The only "problem" I see is that if you have this waterblock, how can you NOT go all steam-punk with your build?!

I will definitely support this Kickstarter! Interested to see how temps are with the direct die cooling and mounting pressure from the mounting via socket. Cool stuff, can't wait to see your testing.

Very interesting and outside the box thinking. I hope this does well in your testing.
Can't wait to see the results.

so he actually got it workin eh. pretty neat. looking forward to seeing the results.

Wow that is impressive! Finally someone who heard the calling for naked die cooling. Looking forward to results!

The surface does not look too polish, engineering sample, so improvements are still in the works and fantastic this company gives it to [H]ardOCP to review and get some solid sound inputs! I am more impressed with that then the design, well waiting on initial results to see how that pans out.

Clearance between the chip and block is critical, not sure what variations there are between different CPU (same model), motherboard sockets etc. which could change that clearance from one sample to the next. The potential for great cooling is huge!!! Proper fit up or tests by the user maybe needed to get maximum heat transfer characteristics. Having shims, not on the die but for the interface with the raised surface maybe a solution if needed - I don't know but I would want almost 0 clearance but not putting undo stress on the CPU bare die to prevent damage.

Will the company also sell or provide the delidding kit as well?

I think it is an interesting idea, but I have overall concerns with the mount.

Copper is not the hardest material, so putting that kind of pressure on those tabs seems questionable. Because once you throw tubing on there, there is the potential for more side/angle pressure then a chip ihs would ever see. Along with kind of finessing the block and the cpu bracket, I can see a lot of people having problems.

Cute. I think the audience for this type of block is pretty small though.
Looks well made excepting the plastic flow plate......

1) the mounting looks a little tricky. Not for the fat of fingers.
2) will it blend?
3) is the wire for disco lights?

Last edited:
It looks like stolen from the Nautilus boat of Captain Nemo :) Nice !

This will be an interesting review.

Fantastic, I'm up for one.
And thanks for doing not only an intel block but a delidded one!

They should be able to increase the size of the tabs a bit--I'm pretty sure the tabs on the ihs are bigger, and this effectively replaces it.

The rough milling could be a good thing or a bad thing with such a small contact area. Will probably be a few revisions testing this and other aspects.

Innovative design and mounting system. Simplicity at its finest. I'll be closely watching this one to see how it performs.

Cool product. Almost makes me want to make my next build Intel so I can delid and WC with this thing!

On an additional note, I want to praise Kyle for the quality of this video. I am watching it at work, and do not have a headset, so I have my volume muted. Even though I can't hear the audio, I could tell very clearly what was going on, how the block was installed, and see the way it was put together. Keep up the good work!

The only "problem" I see is that if you have this waterblock, how can you NOT go all steam-punk with your build?!

That sounds like a challenge!

Cool product. Almost makes me want to make my next build Intel so I can delid and WC with this thing!

On an additional note, I want to praise Kyle for the quality of this video. I am watching it at work, and do not have a headset, so I have my volume muted. Even though I can't hear the audio, I could tell very clearly what was going on, how the block was installed, and see the way it was put together. Keep up the good work!

That sounds like a challenge!
Thanks. New camera is working out well. I always try for that "over the shoulder" look like you were sitting there with me, drinking beer, shooting the shit about hardware. I will leave all the entertainment to the professionals.

Copper is not the hardest material, so putting that kind of pressure on those tabs seems questionable. Because once you throw tubing on there, there is the potential for more side/angle pressure then a chip ihs would ever see. Along with kind of finessing the block and the cpu bracket, I can see a lot of people having problems.

That was my first thought - any lateral movement of stiff tubing would presumably crank down on some unfortunate corner of the die. Maybe in practice its less of an issue.

But for me the killer feature isn't that its mountless, but the direct-die cooling and elimination of the annoying IHS. Makes me wish there were already more direct-die options, because de-lidding would be so much more painless just popping off the IHS, cleaning off the TIM and throwing it on the MB.

Last edited:
Very interesting mount method. Eliminating the IHS from the heat path could give this block an edge.

Kyle, would you say that since you have received the Ncore V1, you have a tiny unit in hand?

Worth noting is that the V2 block will have full mounting system and also have a built in delid tool.

IMG_5604.JPG

For clarification, the black cable is the power for the led lighting? Is it monochrome or is it controllable? I.e., can you change colors or turn it off?
Yes, that is the FHDL power/controller lead. I removed it for testing. I have not played around with it, and probably will not. I have real work to do. ;)

IMG_5590.JPG

I think it is an interesting idea, but I have overall concerns with the mount.

It depends on the alloy used, it's rare that anything "copper" is 100% pure, except in wiring, soft copper tube (for plumbing without elbows), and maybe some circuit boards that need copper for whatever reason.

Chances are, that alloy is plenty stiff enough to handle any load applied. It'll be the die that's the weak point.

That said, they should machine a pocket in the retention tabs to maintain positive block location wrt the die.

Cute. I think the audience for this type of block is pretty small though.
Looks well made excepting the plastic flow plate......

That's an unstressed part, and it's not going to see any kind of pressure that'll affect it negatively. Likely it's molded nylon, which'll be plenty tough enough for whatever anyone might throw at it.

What's really interesting is the cooling fin arrangement: I'd like a closer look, and see how it's made.

A last thought, one driven by my absence from the PC and watercooling world for the last 8+ years: how will that unit work out with modern radiators? I'm not sure if they are aluminum, or an aluminum/copper hybrid, or even brass (brass and copper play well together).

That copper block, however, WILL be very happy with gallium as the TIM.

wait wait wait. If he's confident then let [H] review it and let that bolster the kickstarter. .... Seems fishy to me.

Great idea fits right...no real need though..rad couple chips over here...5.2ghz is pretty capable without the delid...that should be plenty....and that was all done with aluminum everything....lapped, idk a little nicer copper block/rad probably again would see some more improvement...

Last edited:
A last thought, one driven by my absence from the PC and watercooling world for the last 8+ years: how will that unit work out with modern radiators? I'm not sure if they are aluminum, or an aluminum/copper hybrid, or even brass (brass and copper play well together).

That copper block, however, WILL be very happy with gallium as the TIM.
Except for ek's new economy line and maybe some cheap radiators on the bay, most are copper/brass with copper or aluminum fins.

I said this before and I'll say it again: No self respected overclocker/ [H]ard member would run (ugh) aluminum in their setups be it rad or block. Yes i know there's the cheapo EK and to tell you the truth I wouldn't want it for free.

Gimmi copper/brass/bronze or gimmi death!

I wouldn't mind running one of those Ncore V1's on a naked 2600k or another chip for fun.

Except for ek's new economy line and maybe some cheap radiators on the bay, most are copper/brass with copper or aluminum fins.

I do not know start going past G1/4" more bigger blocks, more water in the block etc.

I said this before and I'll say it again: No self respected overclocker/ [H]ard member would run (ugh) aluminum in their setups be it rad or block. Yes i know there's the cheapo EK and to tell you the truth I wouldn't want it for free.

Gimmi copper/brass/bronze or gimmi death!

I wouldn't mind running one of those Ncore V1's in a naked 2600k or another chip for fun.

ok man when shit sitting over here doing 5.2ghz and shit...I mean that's not bad....you think it's worth the difference copper/brass....people that have done stuff on even shittier block dude...

ok man when shit sitting over here doing 5.2ghz and shit...I mean that's not bad....you think it's worth the difference copper/brass....people that have done stuff on even shittier block dude...

I had shit corrode when I used a cheapo aluminum block and a heater core. I won't do that shit again :ROFLMAO:

lol so EKs premade all alu kit is just as bad as your cobbled together mixed metal loop?!

I said this before and I'll say it again: No self respected overclocker/ [H]ard member would run (ugh) aluminum in their setups be it rad or block.
Heres an odd one.

A looong time ago when I first started watercooling I used an aluminium car heatercore with a copper block because rads were expensive and not that good then, it was a decent stopgap.
I was aware it could be a problem so kept my eye on the block but it remained as if new.
The same radiator has been running 24/7 with either a drop of soap or no additives for at least 13 years.
This same setup has seen another 2 blocks since with no issue.
The only other change has been replacement tubing and water top ups.
Its still running the same pump.

The current block has been in for about 8 years and shows no electromigration.
I've been waiting for something to develop holes or pits.
So while I agree with you, my kit has a different opinion!

Back