NCASE M1 version changelog and suggestions thread

Is there any thread where we can start contributing info for manual so info can start to be compiled up

And, frighteningly enough, Dell towers and CRT's, if Google Image results are any indication :eek:

del.jpg

The irony of this all being that bringing a NCase computer and monitor to Starbucks, comparatively, would be awesome. :cool:

...Right?

Lan Party!!! :cool:

I wouldnt mind seeing the case being remodeled to use a HDPlex instead and to fit those new 20Cm> cards.

In this case the case will be shorter :)

It would also need a huge external brick, a much more expensive PSU that is useless for the 99.9% other cases and the power limit would be about 300W. Oh yes and the case would need to be redesigned, 240mm radiators and high-end GPU's wouldn't be possible anymore as would many configuration options.

It would also need a huge external brick, a much more expensive PSU that is useless for the 99.9% other cases and the power limit would be about 300W. Oh yes and the case would need to be redesigned, 240mm radiators and high-end GPU's wouldn't be possible anymore as would many configuration options.

How about
PICO-BOX X7-ATX-500 500W High Power, 24PIN ATX Power Supply with Dual 19.5VDC Power Adapter Inputs and Dual Separate 12VDC Output Channels
Updated version X7, with two separate channels of 12V output. One 12V channel is for CPU, and the other is for graphic card only.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-X7-ATX-400-400W-High-Power-24PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/211500_747813627.html
HTB1xAa3GpXXXXbkXpXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

and 2 High Power 19.5V*11.8A=230W AC Power Adapter which is just a common HP HSTNN-LA12 power supply for docking station 230 Watt
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Power-19-5V-11-8A-230W-AC-Power-Adapter-with-7-4x5mm-PIN-size-for/211500_1871509097.html
High-Power-19-5V-11-8A-230W-AC-Power-Adapter-with-7-4x5mm-PIN-size-for.jpg

$ 190 for a large PCB and two huge external bricks is not a good solution.

How about
PICO-BOX X7-ATX-500 500W High Power, 24PIN ATX Power Supply with Dual 19.5VDC Power Adapter Inputs and Dual Separate 12VDC Output Channels
Updated version X7, with two separate channels of 12V output. One 12V channel is for CPU, and the other is for graphic card only.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-X7-ATX-400-400W-High-Power-24PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/211500_747813627.html
http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1xAa3GpXXXXbkXpXXq6xXFXXX4/201181454/HTB1xAa3GpXXXXbkXpXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

and 2 High Power 19.5V*11.8A=230W AC Power Adapter which is just a common HP HSTNN-LA12 power supply for docking station 230 Watt
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Power-19-5V-11-8A-230W-AC-Power-Adapter-with-7-4x5mm-PIN-size-for/211500_1871509097.htmlhttp://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/...C-Power-Adapter-with-7-4x5mm-PIN-size-for.jpg

I have been thinking about a setup like this too. I think it could be really cool. Totally silent PSU and lots of room for cable management. I have no problems hiding a couple power bricks under my desk.

I have been thinking about a setup like this too. I think it could be really cool. Totally silent PSU and lots of room for cable management. I have no problems hiding a couple power bricks under my desk.

Same here. I have some wire management boxes under my desk that I could put a couple of bricks in.

There is potential in the tiny PSU + 2 bricks idea. This could result in a much smaller case while being overall 'larger' and heavier with the 2 bricks - however, those bricks can be much easier to transport than one larger box (comparatively large).

Tonight I took a HTPC I bought in a ML03 case and that was huge by itself. I transported the GPU separately in a padded antistatic bag in another padded envelope. This could be carried in a separate bag and the case could be handheld as an example.

Actually having hardware in your hands can change your perspective. Having said that, I wouldn't want to use this system. Extra cabling will add bulk and compicate things.

Under 90% efficiency and " *At max load, forced air ventilation is required." and the fact that pico-box doesn't list the product on their website, puts the idea in another context.

Because in reality that package is at best a 400W ( 2x230Wx0,9) PSU of unknown quality, in need of unknown cooling at $190.

Maybe if you go for the 330w alienware brick, usually around $100/pcs you could power a high end system, but that's almost $300 if you get a cheap fan to put on it.

That's a expensive gamble for a unknown and untested product.

Can anyone tell me what is the point of having 3 expansion slots when most cards these days only need 2?

I keep waiting to buy this when a 2 slot version comes out.

Some cards are triple-slot, there are also mini-DTX (often called mATX incorrectly) boards that offer two PCIe slots, the space was needed anyway for aftermarket cooling and putting storage or fans on the bottom with a GPU installed, etc etc.

It's not that the three slots are meant to be used, it's that it was of very little consequence to have a third slot and allow more flexibility. You can add more USB ports for instance, or a port your board doesn't have on the rear I/O, etc etc.

If Necere would make a 2-slot version and shrink the case accordingly, a lot of builds would not be possible. If the 3rd slot is an issue aestethically, I suggest to focus more on the other sides of the case that are much nicer to look at :D

I really like the magnetic filters on V4, would it be possible to make the bottom filters with magnetic ones as well? or make it accessory that available for purchase with the case.

Alternatively, you may also do something like demci filters - add / stick magnetic material at the panels (side / top / bottom) and apply magnetic filters directly to the panel. In this case it should provide better dust filtering compare to filters at the case frame

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is there a way to use two AIO Water coolers in this case? I would like to use one for my CPU and one for my GPU using the Kraken G10. If so I might just bite the bullet.

Is there a way to use two AIO Water coolers in this case? I would like to use one for my CPU and one for my GPU using the Kraken G10. If so I might just bite the bullet.

Browse the imgur gallery - there's a few pictures in there. Be warned, it's gonna get real messy with the hoses and wires. ;)

yep its very doable. single fan on each rad recommended or it gets very messy with fan splitters. works best with shorter cards if you have one too.

I know this is a very very long shot.... but I guess it's the right place. I'm really tired and I'll not crunch dimensions to see if it would actually fit... but the fact is I love the size of this case, but in the other hand I consider 360mm of rad area to be the sweet spot for low noise/temps in an enthusiast build with CPU+GPU at around 450W. I would like to see this magnificent case in a version aimed more towards custom watercooled builds. I know people managed to put rads at the bottom but it's not the best placement for it. I would like to see that third slot scraped, the side rad bracket lowered a bit, and the whole backplate lowered to make room for a 120mm top rad... even if it overlaps with the side rad I imagine performance wise it would make sense... since the front portion must hold the PSU.... I would give up the bottom storage mounting options (3.5" HDD for instance) in exchange for the possibility of mounting an extra 120mm slim top rad in a heartbeat.

I know this is a very very long shot.... but I guess it's the right place. I'm really tired and I'll not crunch dimensions to see if it would actually fit... but the fact is I love the size of this case, but in the other hand I consider 360mm of rad area to be the sweet spot for low noise/temps in an enthusiast build with CPU+GPU at around 450W. I would like to see this magnificent case in a version aimed more towards custom watercooled builds. I know people managed to put rads at the bottom but it's not the best placement for it. I would like to see that third slot scraped, the side rad bracket lowered a bit, and the whole backplate lowered to make room for a 120mm top rad... even if it overlaps with the side rad I imagine performance wise it would make sense... since the front portion must hold the PSU.... I would give up the bottom storage mounting options (3.5" HDD for instance) in exchange for the possibility of mounting an extra 120mm slim top rad in a heartbeat.

When you first said 360mm of rad; I immediately thought of an actual 360mm length radiator.

Then I started thinking about a lengthened M1, a M1+ if you will…

Long enough chassis to fit the EK 360 Predator AIO. Keep third slot space, use for 120mm fans pushing air up thru the chassis. Move PSU forward; this will allow for SFX-L 130mm length PSUs without hitting a standard length GPU. The gap between the motherboard & the PSU is used for a HDD/SDD cage. For those who did not want to go with the EK AIO, the gap could be used for mounting a pump/res combo rather than a drive cage, allowing for a completely internal custom water cooling loop.

Crazy…

I would like to see that third slot scraped, the side rad bracket lowered a bit, and the whole backplate lowered to make room for a 120mm top rad... even if it overlaps with the side rad I imagine performance wise it would make sense... since the front portion must hold the PSU.... I would give up the bottom storage mounting options (3.5" HDD for instance) in exchange for the possibility of mounting an extra 120mm slim top rad in a heartbeat.
The problem with that is it doesn't actually free up enough space on top for a rad. There's around 28mm below a dual-slot GPU, which is just enough for fans or 3.5" HDDs (~25mm), so relocating that space to the top isn't going to magically create the extra 30mm needed for a rad. The only reason people are able to put a rad on the bottom is because they're using the space that would normally be occupied by a dual slot GPU by reducing it to single slot using a waterblock.

To illustrate, here's what happens if the motherboard is moved down by one slot (20.32mm):

Basically the case would need to be 25-30mm taller to accommodate a rad on top. Even with a slim fan you'd still need an extra 15-20mm.

Also note how longer GPUs will run into the front I/O in the lower position.

When you first said 360mm of rad; I immediately thought of an actual 360mm length radiator.

Then I started thinking about a lengthened M1, a M1+ if you will…

Long enough chassis to fit the EK 360 Predator AIO. Keep third slot space, use for 120mm fans pushing air up thru the chassis. Move PSU forward; this will allow for SFX-L 130mm length PSUs without hitting a standard length GPU. The gap between the motherboard & the PSU is used for a HDD/SDD cage. For those who did not want to go with the EK AIO, the gap could be used for mounting a pump/res combo rather than a drive cage, allowing for a completely internal custom water cooling loop.

Crazy…
That would result in a very long, low case though, which is really not the direction you want to go with an SFF case, as it makes desk/shelf placement that much more difficult. It would end up being around 440mm long - about 100mm longer than it currently is.

i know the 5th rev just came out and all, but wondering if it was possible to make the vent holes on the side panels a tad wider? When i move the fans using the bracket to the upper screw holes, the fans get positioned higher and out of position of the vent holes..

Just a OCD issue of mine when things don't match up - as you can see my noctua fans are positioned higher than the vent holes
mMFNzEN.jpg

Lower the fan bracket to the lower screw holes.
EDIT: sorry, I've read over the fact that you purposely used the upper screw holes.

Last edited:
i know the 5th rev just came out and all, but wondering if it was possible to make the vent holes on the side panels a tad wider? When i move the fans using the bracket to the upper screw holes, the fans get positioned higher and out of position of the vent holes..
The vents would have to be expanded to either side to maintain visual balance, and the top vents would also need to match. This increases the holes-to-solid-panel ratio, which negatively affects panel rigidity and increases the potential for warping. Basically, it's not worth it.

Lower the fan bracket to the lower screw holes.
EDIT: sorry, I've read over the fact that you purposely used the upper screw holes.

haha all is well. I have a right angle fitting on the top that doesn't allow me to position the bracket down.

The vents would have to be expanded to either side to maintain visual balance, and the top vents would also need to match. This increases the holes-to-solid-panel ratio, which negatively affects panel rigidity and increases the potential for warping. Basically, it's not worth it.

Fair enough. thanks for the reply

Hey everyone!

I just found out about this case recently and I'm really interested.
I also had a few ideas for improvements:

1. The top panel would really benefit from a dust filter.
  2. Would it be possible to add mounting holes for a 140mm fan over the motherboard? Maybe only usable if no rear fan is installed.
  3. Can you add additional ventilation holes in both side panels to handle the exhaust air of top blow graphics cards?
    Like this:
    M1_draft.png

Hey everyone!

2. Would it be possible to add mounting holes for a 140mm fan over the motherboard? Maybe only usable if no rear fan is installed.
  3. Can you add additional ventilation holes in both side panels to handle the exhaust air of top blow graphics cards?
    Like this:
    View attachment 1253
These have all been considered and rejected for one reason or another. There either isn't room or it's not otherwise viable to add these things to the current design. If you want a filter for the top vent, there's always Demcifilters.

Hi and welcome!

Great ideas! I just love you newly registered users coming in, skipping dozens of pages of iteration, and dishing out your well-thought-out development proposals because you are unique snowflakes and your use cases supersede the aesthetics and functionality of the enclosure.
You sound like an asshole.

Eh, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't slightly annoying to be asked for changes that I've already gone over with people several times in the past, but I'm not going to bust someone's chops for not reading through 20,000 posts to find it. Besides, it's still useful in that it gives me an idea about what people consider important, so even if it's not something that will work in the M1, it might make it into the next product.

Hey everyone!

Like this:
    View attachment 1253

There's always case modding. The Ncase is brilliant in that the side panels can be bought off the website so that you can replace the ones you have modded (or if you make a mistake). There are quite a few websites and posts (on Hardforum, Overclock.net and LinusTechTips forums) to guide you.
For your use-case, I would suggest a Dremel tool and just cut a slot out. Good luck if you go this route!

Doesn't the top panel already have dust filters? My v2 does, at least.
The M1 has never come with filters for the top panel. V1-V3 came with just the plastic filters that screw into 120mm fans, while V4 and later added a steel fan bracket with one piece magnetic filter for the side.

Did you get yours second hand? The only way you're likely to have a filter for the top is if its the Demciflex filter.

You sound like an asshole.
I honestly thought pointfiveo's post was one of mine when I read it. When you've been here the better part of the Ncase development (going on 3 years now ?) and basically have read every single post there has been made on this forum about it, you get annoyed by people repeating the same suggestions over and over again. You shouldn't take stuff on a forum so personally, you'll end up being trolled to death.

Maybe the issues already discussed should be condensed in a FAQ on the first post, so it's easier for the new people.

I honestly thought pointfiveo's post was one of mine when I read it. When you've been here the better part of the Ncase development (going on 3 years now ?) and basically have read every single post there has been made on this forum about it, you get annoyed by people repeating the same suggestions over and over again. You shouldn't take stuff on a forum so personally, you'll end up being trolled to death.

Maybe the issues already discussed should be condensed in a FAQ on the first post, so it's easier for the new people.
I didn't take it personally at all. I just thought he sounded like an asshole. My post is akin to seeing someone cut another car off in traffic and going "wow what an asshole" and continuing on my day.

A better way for him to respond might have been to just link the dude or just reply that it has been talked about before rather than being so snarky.

Going offtopic here but oh well.
My post is akin to seeing someone cut another car off in traffic and going "wow what an asshole" and continuing on my day.
Not really the correct analogy since you hide behind anonimity and reply the person on a public forum, while calling random people on the street assholes when everyone can hear it is a sure-fire way of getting punched in the face sooner or later. Insulting someone publicly for passive-agressive behavior isn't going to help anyone.

Maybe it's because we feel Necere put so much time and effort in achieving a excellent balance of volume, performance and support while keeping the price reasonable, it's hard for some of us to see suggestions (most being discussed before the case ever hit the ground) not as points of critique, it's a fault I admit I have.

Going offtopic here but oh well.

Not really the correct analogy since you hide behind anonimity and reply the person on a public forum, while calling random people on the street assholes when everyone can hear it is a sure-fire way of getting punched in the face sooner or later. Insulting someone publicly for passive-agressive behavior isn't going to help anyone.

Maybe it's because we feel Necere put so much time and effort in achieving a excellent balance of volume, performance and support while keeping the price reasonable, it's hard for some of us to see suggestions (most being discussed before the case ever hit the ground) not as points of critique, it's a fault I admit I have.

Yeah that's a fair enough counterpoint. I expect you'll see more newbie posts when the next NCase shipment goes out so prepare yourselves.:p

Back