NCASE M1 version changelog and suggestions thread

Warm air only rises ever so gently in a case, the slightest airflow will disrupt it.

942-okay-meme.jpg

Yes, this can be done, you can push the modular PCB further back into the housing. At least, I have done this with the ST45SF-G. There is a plastic divider behind the PCB, so there's no chance to short-circuit something. I can't tell you exactly how many millimeters you will win. At least 2mm, maybe as much as 5mm. You will need washers and longer countersunk M3 screws.

However, opening the PSU voids the warranty.

While we're on the topic of voiding warranties... how much of that 10mm connector is really necessary to house the pins, isolate the wires effectively, and provide grip and structural integrity, versus how much you could get away with by de-pinning, shaving the housing, and re-wiring?

Edit: I feel like I've seen someone do this somewhere else, but I couldn't find it.

While we're on the topic of voiding warranties... how much of that 10mm connector is really necessary to house the pins, isolate the wires effectively, and provide grip and structural integrity, versus how much you could get away with by de-pinning, shaving the housing, and re-wiring?

Edit: I feel like I've seen someone do this somewhere else, but I couldn't find it.

MiniFitJr pins run almost the whole depth of the housing. You could maybe shave 1mm off. I have some spare male and female connectors if you need me to try it?

MiniFitJr pins run almost the whole depth of the housing. You could maybe shave 1mm off. I have some spare male and female connectors if you need me to try it?

It occurred to me after my last edit that it would also be difficult to shave much off without compromising the integrity of the clip. I've found most of these connectors to be pretty snug, clip or no, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be going clipless.

And HA! That is a generous offer, but no thank you (unless your own curiosity is piqued). I'm purely in the "wild what-if" phase; no point in ruining a perfectly good spare following my wild hair.

hey guys.

i have a question.

is it possible to mount two140mm radiators in the case when you mounted the mainboard that you only have two slots for graphicscard?

See the pic here

is it possible to mount two140mm radiators in the case when you mounted the mainboard that you only have two slots for graphics card? [Emphasis added]

I believe you're referring to an idea someone proposed where optional mounts for the motherboard would be provided, so that you could mount it one PCI slot lower vertically inside the case. The thinking behind this was to give the option to reduce the space below the board, and increase the space above, allowing for short modular ATX PSU's, and for top-mounted fans.

However, that was never adopted since the tradeoffs were not determined worthwhile. So you can't really use that arrangement in the case to determine if the radiators fit... unless you plan to modify the M1 yourself to support it.

i dont have a drawing or a 3d model of the case. i only take the scale of the pic and try the 178mm. so i think it could fit in but it would be better to have an answer from somebody who has a model.

I want to buy such a nice case when it will release and its no a problem for me to manufacture a new back plate. but that only makes sense if i have an answer ;)

I would be very grateful if someone could sacrifice the time and test these two radiatorsinside the 3d model ;)

Here is a drawing of the radiator:
http://www.alphacool.com/download/140-140-30.pdf

If it is not allowed to post this link pls delete it

hey guys.

i have a question.

is it possible to mount two140mm radiators in the case when you mounted the mainboard that you only have two slots for graphicscard?

See the pic here
In theory, yes. The rads are a bit wider than the side opening, but they'll fit once inside. The latches that hold the side/top panels extend about 10mm into the case, so they could be a problem. The side bracket obviously doesn't work with 140mm fans - you'd need to figure something out for that.

The new one won't have a handle, I guess, right?

I was just curious if that was a popular suggestion or not. I think a detachable one would be pretty cool.

The new one won't have a handle, I guess, right?

I was just curious if that was a popular suggestion or not. I think a detachable one would be pretty cool.

A couple of people have mentioned it, but I don't believe it's a popular idea. Since the top cover pops off, a handle is not going to be so easy to implement. Better get the carry bag if you want to move your M1 around.

I remember Necere pointing out that it required some serious redesigning to support a handle AND the hardware inside. This case is also not meant to be robust enough to carry around and something like some case straps are cheap and will solve this problem just as easily, without forcing everyone with a design meant to be carried.

Also: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800249

Ordered a silver one coming from a black original. I don't even know what I'm going to use it for! LOL

Just giving you guys support! I may donate mine.

Fantastic website, really well done !!
Thanks. It's a bit barebones, but it gets the job done. W360 wanted to open preorders a week ago, but I insisted we get something presentable up. Spent the last week doing the one-man band thing - banging out code, renders, writing copy. Fun stuff.

Thanks. It's a bit barebones, but it gets the job done. W360 wanted to open preorders a week ago, but I insisted we get something presentable up. Spent the last week doing the one-man band thing - banging out code, renders, writing copy. Fun stuff.

Certainly quite the effort! But I think you made the right call. Particularly for people who only just now find out about the M1, and see the opportunity to order... Having a well-put-together website as a first impression will probably encourage orders far better than a static page with a Paypal button and not much else.

It's a very clean and professional looking website. Pretty cool that you got Malik to do a build and photos, don't think I'd seen that before.

It's a very clean and professional looking website. Pretty cool that you got Malik to do a build and photos, don't think I'd seen that before.

+1. Site looks incredibly good.. great job guys! Hope you leave all the M1 info up for a reference, even after the pre-order is finished.

And yes, Malik's build looks very nice. Anyone know what Phanteks cooler and which mobo he used?

Certainly quite the effort! But I think you made the right call. Particularly for people who only just now find out about the M1, and see the opportunity to order... Having a well-put-together website as a first impression will probably encourage orders far better than a static page with a Paypal button and not much else.

In my defense, the previous version, set to launch 1 week earlier, was not a static page with a PayPal button :p

Last edited:
In my defense, the previous version, set to launch 1 week earlier, was not a static page with a PayPal button :p

Hehe, fair enough ;) Didn't at all mean to challenge, so much as to commend, for the great website and solid work! I'm quite excited to see how many cases you guys ship for Rev 2 :)

Phanteks only has one top down cooler, so it has to be the the PH-TC14CS. The 120mm fan is necessary - the default 140's it ships with won't fit due to how they mount on with the clips.

@AFD
I think that he used Asus Z87 Impact and Phanteks PH-TC14CS.

Phanteks only has one top down cooler, so it has to be the the PH-TC14CS. The 120mm fan is necessary - the default 140's it ships with won't fit due to how they mount on with the clips.

Thanks guys! That cooler w/Impact looks like the perfect fit for the M1.. shame it got such bad reviews, though.

Unfortunately I am moving house so I don't have that much access to the internet, I was planning on showing some plans for an internal res. But at least I have a paypal account so I can pre-order! :D well done guys! I can't wait for delivery

EDIT: just been to the site it's very good and even has support for my iPhone. :D not sure to wait until orders for more panels or just buy 2 cases :/ it's also a lot less than the money I put by for getting it (almost half) so I am really terrible at guessing and this is why I'm thinking of getting two

Email was in spam :( silly gmail that was the best email of the month

Last edited:
The (tentative) final change list for M1 v2:

• Enlarged CPU cutout upward on motherboard tray
  • Additional cutouts at bottom of motherboard tray
  • Move rear 92mm fan and tubing holes down 2mm
  • Additional 3.5" HDD mounting location at forward bottom of chassis
  • Cable tie holes on chassis bottom reduced from 10 to 5
  • SSD stacking brackets modified to allow stacked 7mm thick SDDs closer
  • ATX PSU bracket moved back to allow more clearance behind chassis front
  • 3.5" HDD cage fixed to work in upper fan bracket position
  • ODD bracket screw holes reduced for better M2 screw fit
  • No top panel screw
  • More SSD mounting screws
  • Extra side panel clips
  • Dome head M5 screws changed to flat head M5
  • Shortened internal AC cable
  • Threaded inserts at side bracket mounting points

Question for you Necere: Did you thought about or would it even be possible about doing an upgrade kit for the owners of V1? Like the extra screws, the shortened cable, etc? Just a tought.

Question for you Necere: Did you thought about or would it even be possible about doing an upgrade kit for the owners of V1? Like the extra screws, the shortened cable, etc? Just a tought.
We've talked about the possibility of offering parts for sale through the site, including screws and cables. We might be able to get a left-angle version of the power cable for those people who were unable to use the included cable with certain ATX PSUs. W360 also has a bunch of extra 2.5" HDD mounting screws he ordered a while back; you could email him if you want to order some.

Hmmm.. how strong is this might? :p
It depends how many total orders we receive. We'd only want to order maybe 100 extra cables, but that's well under the MOQ if that's all we were ordering. But if we piggyback it to our main order for the right-angle cables, the supplier may be game for it.

How much would each cable be? If it was under $10 each, I'd probably consider ordering one of each left and right handed shortened versions just for the flexibility and futureproofing.

How much would each cable be? If it was under $10 each, I'd probably consider ordering one of each left and right handed shortened versions just for the flexibility and futureproofing.
Don't know yet how much they'll be. Again, depends how many we order.

Did the new silver version include black feets?
That's the plan.

In case anyone is wondering about the added 3.5" HDD mount at the bottom front, this image shows where the drives go:

So as you can see, in the forward position you can't mount anything else on the bottom, whereas in the rear position you still have the option of mounting a 92mm toward the front. The forward 3.5" mount is also of the fixed type, rather than slide-in, which was necessitated by the all the other mounting holes.

I added it because there was a request or two for it, because with a blower GPU and a drive a lot of heat was building up at the back.

The outer panels are either Anodized black or Anodized silver. The insides are painted black on either.

Thats right, but perhaps they where anodized before mounting the pins on the panels. But when the pins are not soldered or welded on the panels a new anodizing should be possible.

Best would be if somebody knows that the pins are only pressed-in. So anodizing is 100% possible

Thats right, but perhaps they where anodized before mounting the pins on the panels. But when the pins are not soldered or welded on the panels a new anodizing should be possible.

Best would be if somebody knows that the pins are only pressed-in. So anodizing is 100% possible

No. The panels themselves are anodized. The pins are welded. But I think the Anodizing happens after that. By inside I mean the frame. The frame is painted black, and any internal accessory is painted black, but the 2 sides, the top, and front removable panels are all anodized either silver or black.

Back