NCASE M1 Softshell Carry Bag for community

the custom red Diversitex poly-cotton twill interior I hand picked is especially nice.
Did this cost anything extra compared to the standard material? I never though of changing the interior favric color, but if that is a possibility at no extra cost, I will certainly do so!

Did this cost anything extra compared to the standard material? I never though of changing the interior favric color, but if that is a possibility at no extra cost, I will certainly do so!

I think I paid an extra $10 and eliminated the logo and buckles. I'm not sure of the break down. Liz is especially cooperative so if you are interested in modifications I would talk with her. I wouldn't expect her to provide custom colors for no charge though. She has already built in several options at no cost. There will be extra effort and time needed to locate new materials, and different materials have different costs. Then she has to do a special order with some extra. I'm sure she gave me a deal since I was one of the first, and I did as much research on the materials and colors as I could to help out. The modification is great though and I am very glad that she was willing to do it. Send her a message. She can tell you better what it will cost and how much more time it may take.

did the poly-cotton attract the dust like the other interior? like sumludus' bag

I haven't had a dust/lint problem so far. After carefully inspecting it, I can see a few (less than 10) white fibers on the surface which I removed easily with my fingers. I don't know if they were there to begin with or not. I don't see it collecting dust or lint though. Looks the same to me now as it did when I got it. This poly-cotton twill cloth is soft but not fuzzy. It basically looks and feels like common clothing material for pants, jackets, etc. I don't usually have a lint problem with my pants or jackets. I anticipate it will behave similarly, and will provide a little more durability than straight cotton. That is one reason I selected it. There are a lot of choices out there though if you are concerned about dust/lint, static electricity, durability, etc.

Does anyone know what's the status of Orders placed back in mid May? I recently received an email asking me to review the bag I ordered from Etsy yet no bag has been delivered.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's the status of Orders placed back in mid May? I recently received an email asking me to review the bag I ordered from Etsy yet no bag has been delivered.

Yes, I just spoke with Liz, and the 2nd shipment of 6 custom bags just went out, and she is now beginning to work on the 3rd batch this week. Mine is in the 3rd batch, and I placed my order at the very end of April.

It's hard to say if your mid-May order will be in the current 3rd batch, or even the 4th or 5th, depending on the amount of orders she received during that time. I'm sure if you contact her, she could give you a better idea.

I also received the Etsy review email.. but nothing to review yet :)

Yes, I just spoke with Liz, and the 2nd shipment of 6 custom bags just went out, and she is now beginning to work on the 3rd batch this week. Mine is in the 3rd batch, and I placed my order at the very end of April.

It's hard to say if your mid-May order will be in the current 3rd batch, or even the 4th or 5th, depending on the amount of orders she received during that time. I'm sure if you contact her, she could give you a better idea.

I also received the Etsy review email.. but nothing to review yet :)

Ok that makes more sense. If it's really going to take months before I can expect to receive it I might have to provide a new shipping address as I'm scheduled to move out of the country in September.

I'm not sure what batch mine is in... the original shipping estimate I received was end of May. I haven't received mine yet, but I also told Liz she could prioritize others higher than mine. Glad to hear a second batch went out. Sorry to hear that production is slower than expected, but hopefully the quality will make it worth the wait.

I'm not sure what batch mine is in... the original shipping estimate I received was end of May.

Yours is supposed to be in with mine in the current 3rd batch, since we both have the same grey interior fabric :)

EDIT: Actually, our interior fabric is being cut at the same time.. not 100% sure if yours is being assembled and shipped with that same batch.

Last edited:
Anyone else get their bag yet? I'm wondering what they look. Mine is holding up really well so far. I have used it nearly everyday since I got it and it still looks the same. It does a great job protecting the machine.

Anyone else get their bag yet? I'm wondering what they look.

Nope, haven't heard or received anything since she said she was starting on mine 3 weeks ago.. it's been almost 3 months since I placed my order.

Nope, haven't heard or received anything since she said she was starting on mine 3 weeks ago.. it's been almost 3 months since I placed my order.

I feel for you. If she had a friend helping, maybe they could crank them out faster. Its a good bag. The problem we have with these accessories, including the reservoir, is that we don't have enough volume to get a big production run by a company. So we have to wait for the boutique. Custom is good too I guess.

I was hoping by now to see some other bag photos to see the differences.

Yeah, I'm in no big hurry to get my bag, and don't really have any need to transport my M1 for any reason right now.. just wanted to support the project. As long as I get it eventually, it's all good.. just worried that Liz's swamped with all our orders.

I just got mine a few days ago. It was well worth the wait :)

Just got mine, looks great. I'll post some pics either this evening or tomorrow.

Did you guys get a tracking number or anything once it shipped out?

Really don't wanna take anymore of her time up with more questions, but don't want my bag sitting out in the bushes for several weeks either :)

Did you guys get a tracking number or anything once it shipped out?

Really don't wanna take anymore of her time up with more questions, but don't want my bag sitting out in the bushes for several weeks either :)

Yes, I got an email with a tracking # once it shipped.

Here's some pics

M1_carry-bag_1.jpg

M1_carry-bag_2.jpg

M1_carry-bag_3.jpg

Looks good. You got the improved zipper length around the back, and your handle wrap fits better, but... I see lint :).

Yeah, I didn't bother trying to get all the lint off. I used HDR to show all the details but the downside is even the smallest speck of dust shows up easily :p

Anyone who ordered there bag at the end of April/beginning of May get their bag yet? I still haven't received mine yet. :(

I ordered on April 25 and I got my bag early this week.
I don't have a chance to use it yet.
But right now my impression was: it's heavier than I thought - it weighs 2kg. It also doubles the effective volume of the Ncase despite fitting snugly.
The amount of protection is pretty crazy. It's also more rigid than I thought. Maybe it's able to allow the ncase to survive short falls, but I'm not so eager to test the hypothesis.

The case might survive, but your hardware might suffer (GPU --> PCIe slot, cooler --> motherboard), so I would certainly not test it :D

Yeah, its not advisable to test it. Any jarring stop could well make something come loose or fall off inside the case. Even just normally setting it down you are going to want to be careful with it.

I'm still waiting on my bag as well. I've been super busy this summer, so haven't been on the boards, and haven't been in contact with Liz.
Just curious, AFD, if you had received yours yet? Since, we suspected we may be in the same batch.

Glad to hear those of you that have received the bags are pleased with them. Especially with the heavy use by Adamantium. I like the photos folks posted! Thanks!

Spoke with Charww's tailor and experimenting with a new design.

The design is very rough right now:

5Fh1QmBl.jpg

ZKl3LMll.png

Key features:
- hide-way backpack strap (more comfortable for longer travel)
- Grid-It like straps to hold accessories down
- removable cushion for M1 (allows the bag to work as a regular bag)

Curious what you guys think about it.

Spoke with Charww's tailor and experimenting with a new design.

The design is very rough right now:

Interesting design. Not really sure if I understand how it works, though (the actual ergonomics behind inserting and removing the M1 from the bag).

So you unzip the bag in half, and then maybe place that side of the bag off the edge of a table so it's not in the way, then you slide the M1 out sideways?

(Btw, I never received an invoice from you for the spare clips.. wasn't sure if you were waiting for the short PSU cable, or whatnot :))

So you unzip the bag in half, and then maybe place that side of the bag off the edge of a table so it's not in the way, then you slide the M1 out sideways?

That's correct.

(Btw, I never received an invoice from you for the spare clips.. wasn't sure if you were waiting for the short PSU cable, or whatnot :))

Waiting for the cable to arrive in mid Sep to send invoice - I should have confirmed your email.

I'm slightly wary of the zip: assuming rigid foam, it's load-bearing for any side movement of the bag (soft foam would exacerbate this and introduce loading when static), and it turns corners creating points of stress. I have an otherwise nice laptop backback with a similar layout where the zip's internal stitching (attaching the spine of the plastic loop to the sip tape) has failed at the corners.

A couple of compression straps running over the top to take the load off of the zip would solve the problem, though a bit inelegantly.

I'm slightly wary of the zip: assuming rigid foam, it's load-bearing for any side movement of the bag (soft foam would exacerbate this and introduce loading when static), and it turns corners creating points of stress. I have an otherwise nice laptop backback with a similar layout where the zip's internal stitching (attaching the spine of the plastic loop to the sip tape) has failed at the corners.

A couple of compression straps running over the top to take the load off of the zip would solve the problem, though a bit inelegantly.

Fair point.

I have used the following bag with cushion (made of t-shirts) and carried the M1 from US to Europe last month. I'm going to Asia next month. I been using the straps to keep the M1 from swaying left and right. I'm going to do some testing, have to get back to you about the results.

This bag by Swiss Army - being a very useful carry on, was the basis of this new design direction.

yXJIsOvm.jpg
4RbAkE2m.jpg
PHcoOmNm.jpg
BheEqhTm.jpg
SIb6mZwm.jpg

Tom Bihn is known for quality, we will most likely use the same zippers on their best selling Carry-Ons to add strength.

SsfCVlqm.jpg
y96SOe6m.jpg
XzQQintm.jpg

Internal straps (velcro would probably work as well as compression straps & buckles) would solve the issue, as that would prevent loading of the zips. The initial design may need the 'main' zip to be shifted off-centre to allow for a centred load-bearing 'loop' for the handle to attach to, or split the handle in two to straddle the zip (like those Tom Bihn bags).

Curious what you guys think about it.

Honestly I think if you want a suitcase or travel case for your M1, you would be better off with a Pelican Case. I would never trust a zipper-based side-open bag to secure a $1500+ piece of equipment, even with internal straps. There is no reason for such a design given that top load designs are better and have been in use for years. The current nylon top-load bag design is great, and the Pelican iM2620 case is waterproof and airtight, airline carry-on approved, comes with telescoping handles, built-in wheels, ultra durable lockable latches and molded hasps, pressure valve, crush proof and heat resistant resin exterior, hinged top, and dense pluckable cube foam, all for $154.95. What is it about your proposed design that is more compelling than the two options already available?

Honestly I think if you want a suitcase or travel case for your M1, you would be better off with a Pelican Case. I would never trust a zipper-based side-open bag to secure a $1500+ piece of equipment, even with internal straps. There is no reason for such a design given that top load designs are better and have been in use for years. The current nylon top-load bag design is great, and the Pelican iM2620 case is waterproof and airtight, airline carry-on approved, comes with telescoping handles, built-in wheels, ultra durable lockable latches and molded hasps, pressure valve, crush proof and heat resistant resin exterior, hinged top, and dense pluckable cube foam, all for $154.95. What is it about your proposed design that is more compelling than the two options already available?

Pelican is a rolling suitcase, not exactly a direct comparison.

More versatile compared to top loading design
- I want a bag to carry SFF cases other than the M1 by utilizing different foam cutouts. I also want a bag that can be use for general purposes. It just gives the owner more utility.

Lighter weight, less hassle at airports than Pelican or other "rugged" cases
- If you want to get your overweight carry-on bag (a PC + other gear) on the plane, you have to blend in at airports and not draw attention to yourself or your bag. If the gate agent has no reason to believe your bag is heavy, they are not likely to ask you to weigh it. Some photographers and VFX pros actively avoid Pelican or "rugged" cases for this reason.

I know you can check-in your bag with a Pelican case, but it doesn't mean it won't be damaged.

I do not support anyone breaking airline rules, but any photographer and VFX will attest, sometimes you just have a lot of equipment.

Last edited:
More versatile compared to top loading design
- I want a bag to carry SFF cases other than the M1 by utilizing different foam cutouts. I also want a bag that can be use for general purposes. It just gives the owner more utility.

Now that is a really intriguing idea. I like it.

That said, regardless of style or type, I recommend extra reinforcement/padding at corners. You probably already know this, but the corners are always the weakest part of a case, or the part that tends to take the most damage. That is true for pelican cases as well. At least, from the few drop test studies I've seen.

Back