[NCASE M1] Smaller, faster, stronger

mower

n00b
Hello,

I am planning to build my next desktop with this awesome case.

Config:
Case: NCASE M1 v3 Black (With ODD)
Power Supply: Silverstone SX500-LG
PSU Cables: Silverstone PP05-E
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105
CPU Cooler mounting: Asetek Narrow ILM LGA2011 kit
Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PWM x 2
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16G (2*8G) DDR4 2400Mhz
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 (GTX670-DC2T-2GD5)
Hard Disk: Samsung 840 Pro
Optical Drive: Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Funtoo (like Gentoo Linux)
Miscellaneous: PCI 3.0 x16 Shielded riser ribbon (5cm)

Goal:
Main desktop plugged on the main flat screen.
Compact.
Powerful.
Workstation.
Gaming/Compiling.
Reasonably Quiet.
No overclocking.

It will replace my old rig:

Notes:
For the cooling part, I am planning to use the riser to put the graphic card lower to help it to get cool air from outside, it will also help with the PSU cables...
And I will replace the corsair fan of the water-cooling with noctua one and put them in exhaust push.
I know this is not the best way to go as I will make CPU hotter but it will help with the pipe kinking issue as the radiator will be as far as possible from the cpu and I fear that the case will be too hot inside without an active exhaust system.
I will buy a NVMe M.2 superfast ssd to replace the Samsung one (not released yet), maybe upgrade the GPU/CPU in the next years, if needed replace the PSU with new 80+ platinum SFX-L from silverstone (so sad it is not out yet...)

Any comments are welcome :)

Last edited:
Does your compiling take advantage of more cores, or higher clocks? The reason I ask is that even though shoving socket 2011 into one of these is 100% awesome, you may (or may not) be better off with a 4790K CPU on socket 1150.

Also, what games and resolution? GTX 980 Ti is out, and is a beast!

Does your compiling take advantage of more cores, or higher clocks? The reason I ask is that even though shoving socket 2011 into one of these is 100% awesome, you may (or may not) be better off with a 4790K CPU on socket 1150.

Also, what games and resolution? GTX 980 Ti is out, and is a beast!

Yes, it take advantage of all cores and not that much of the clock.

I thought about the 980 Ti but :
  1. too damn expensive
  2. too loud
  3. not sure that it will fit inside my case

And I will replace the corsair fan of the water-cooling with noctua one and put them in exhaust push.
I know this is not the best way to go as I will make CPU hotter but it will help with the pipe kinking issue as the radiator will be as far as possible from the cpu and I fear that the case will be too hot inside without an active exhaust system.

Fans do not extract just the hot part of the air and leave the cold behind. Air coming in equals air going out. In such a small case as this, even a single fan can produce enough airflow to replace the case air several times per second. Passive components, cooled by incidental convection, won't be measurably affected whether they get ambient air or radiator air. The important components to cool are the CPU and GPU and possibly any M.2 SSD, other components are usually irrelevant nowadays.

On the one hand the CPU benefits from fresh air through the radiator.

On the other hand, your proposed graphics card is open-shroud with axial fans. So a reason for setting your fans to exhaust might be to create a negative pressure area above the GPU. Then the radiator will suck out GPU exhaust air before it gets a chance to hang around the motherboard space.

If you are using the GPU a lot, then set rad fans to exhaust. If you are indeed mostly programming and compiling then set rad fans to intake.

Yes, it take advantage of all cores and not that much of the clock.

I thought about the 980 Ti but :
  1. too damn expensive
  2. too loud
  3. not sure that it will fit inside my case

I have a Titan X in mine (M1 Ver2) if that helps eliminate some concern. At idle the whole system is rather quiet. (Silverstone 600W SFX PSU, Corsair H100i)

In truth my only issue thus far is temps on GPU... while they aren't out of control high the idle temps aren't as good as I would like. I am going to be adding two 120mm fans to the bottom to help with that.

Fans do not extract just the hot part of the air and leave the cold behind. Air coming in equals air going out. In such a small case as this, even a single fan can produce enough airflow to replace the case air several times per second. Passive components, cooled by incidental convection, won't be measurably affected whether they get ambient air or radiator air. The important components to cool are the CPU and GPU and possibly any M.2 SSD, other components are usually irrelevant nowadays.

On the one hand the CPU benefits from fresh air through the radiator.

On the other hand, your proposed graphics card is open-shroud with axial fans. So a reason for setting your fans to exhaust might be to create a negative pressure area above the GPU. Then the radiator will suck out GPU exhaust air before it gets a chance to hang around the motherboard space.

If you are using the GPU a lot, then set rad fans to exhaust. If you are indeed mostly programming and compiling then set rad fans to intake.

Thank you for your answer, I will also see what I can do with the tubes of the H105, it seems very hard to fit them.

I have a Titan X in mine (M1 Ver2) if that helps eliminate some concern. At idle the whole system is rather quiet. (Silverstone 600W SFX PSU, Corsair H100i)

In truth my only issue thus far is temps on GPU... while they aren't out of control high the idle temps aren't as good as I would like. I am going to be adding two 120mm fans to the bottom to help with that.

Maybe in the future, I have any use of it, I will upgrade it to a new "Titan X" equivalent, for now, it is too expensive for my usage.

So I finally received the whole package, and my "old" Asus GTX 670 fit so I won't upgrade it now, maybe next year.

@WiSK, I took your advice and put my noctua set to intake, it was quite challenging to put them in push with the H105 in a so tiny case, but it works great, I am around 33C for the CPU and 38C for the motherboard at idle, it does not seems to get so much higher with some load, I need to install my OS to get more test.

Will post some picts later.

omg titan x in m1!!!! sexy!

Back