NCASE M1 picture and build general log

• Thread starter Deleted member 222586
  • Start date
With i5-3570K at stock clock, I get 60C with prime95 large FFT at around 25C ambient, fan is at 850rpm.
At 4.2ghz, it's 70C at 950rpm.

How's the noise? Thinking of getting this for my i4790k. :)

EDIT: And did you exchange the fan with a Noctua? I think the stock fan color is black.

Hello

I just ordered a M1 V2 and essentially this is my all time first PC build. So hopefully, it would not bother you too much to take a look at my component selection for having a consistent setup that fits in the M1 case.

The system will be used for office work, no gaming, so reliability and noise were my main points. Also, I did google a lot to get an understanding of how such things work together, not sure if I got it all right, any comments are more than welcome :)

450 Watt be quiet! Straight Power E9
2x be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1 Low-Speed 120mm 800rpm

Asus H97I-PLUS Intel H97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 Mini-ITX
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 4x 3.40GHz So.1150 BOX
Noctua NH-L12 Topblow
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit

1024MB Sapphire Radeon R7 250 Ultimate Passiv PCIe 3.0 x16
256GB Crucial MX100 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC
LiteOn DS-8ATSH-01-T DVD-RW SATA

Thanks, cheers!

Wow an SFF Ncase M1 for your first PC build ! That's going to be a good test of your PC building character !

Your build looks good, nothing to say about it, except for the PSU and fans. I don't know much about the Be Quiet PSU's and fans, I suggest looking at Seasonic's offering for quality PSU's and Noctua for fans if you are also uncertain.

How's the noise? Thinking of getting this for my i4790k. :)

EDIT: And did you exchange the fan with a Noctua? I think the stock fan color is black.

It's really quiet. Yes, I replaced the fan because I already own the Noctua fan. The Noctua fan has wider blades which gives me the impression that it has more static pressure. The stock fan is probably as quiet.

Wow an SFF Ncase M1 for your first PC build ! That's going to be a good test of your PC building character !

Your build looks good, nothing to say about it, except for the PSU and fans. I don't know much about the Be Quiet PSU's and fans, I suggest looking at Seasonic's offering for quality PSU's and Noctua for fans if you are also uncertain.

Thanks, I'll consider your comments. The PSU selection was a bit based on what was available in my shop here, but I will take a second look.

I try to share some photos while building.

Hi Troublemaker, I've just built a system with no GPU in M1v1 and used the Silverstone ST30SF. It is a very quiet PSU. At idle the fan is off, and it only came on when I ran prime95 for ages. Even then I could hardly hear it over the cpu fan.

I very much recommend it over the BeQuiet (oem: FSP) and the Seasonic SFX PSUs which were designed in 2009 and 2006 respectively.

Just to clarify, I meant the ATX Seasonic PSU's (considering the Be Quiet one is too), like the S12II and G-series, which are top notch in their price brackets as far as I know.
But the ST30SF SFX PSU is indeed also a valid choice when using a low-end GPU, I didn't know these were still for sale !

Aha, on phone, was too lazy to google which psu it was, presumed sfx for better fitment and lower weight.

I want to use a full size psu for lower noise as they come with larger fans. I am not sure if the one you mentioned will work for the cable orientation, but I'll check again. Given some gpu tests I found, I would need around 400W minimum to have some headroom left, so I picked a450W. I would just guess, the sfx ones are much louder given the 80mm fans?

I'd be surprised if those components draw more than 120W at full load. How did you figure 400?

Anyway, doesn't matter, you choose what you are comfortable with :)

It's really quiet. Yes, I replaced the fan because I already own the Noctua fan. The Noctua fan has wider blades which gives me the impression that it has more static pressure. The stock fan is probably as quiet.

Okay, thanks, I just ordered it. :) I'll stick with the stock fan for now and see how it goes.

Sorry, me again, regarding psu, how about this one, it has the fan off with load under 40%, which sounds great for me :)

450 Watt Corsair RM Series Modular 80+ Gold

However, the power in is in a completely different orientation, would that work with the M1 V2 ?

I am in Switzerland, so my selection on shops is somehow a little bit limited ... which is why I still look around...

Hi, WiSK, just through the reviews and found a dealer stocking it here, so i'll go for the Silverstone ST30SF, even though it has lower max power, should be still ok, though.

Thanks for heads up on this!

I might be wrong on this one since I always use a powerful discrete gpu in my builds, but isn't the gpu in yours superflous since the motherboard has an integrated gpu and multiple outputs?

Oh and good luck on your first build. Hopefully you will have a lot of fun and minimal frustration :)

I might be wrong on this one since I always use a powerful discrete gpu in my builds, but isn't the gpu in yours superflous since the motherboard has an integrated gpu and multiple outputs?

Oh and good luck on your first build. Hopefully you will have a lot of fun and minimal frustration :)

Thing is Xeons have got no IGP thus you need a discrete GPU.

Hi

E3-1231v3 (no GPU) + Radeon R7 250 Ultimate Passiv vs. E3-1245v3 (Intel HD4600 GPU) was about + $50 which I think is worth the extra power - well ;)

Thing is Xeons have got no IGP thus you need a discrete GPU.

There it is. I figured I might be wrong. I was not sure if you needed the CPU for basic stuff like office programs and websurfing. Thought there might be some built in capability in the motherboard.

I took this as reference

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...sapphire-radeon-r7-250-ultimate-.html?start=5

further I want to run the psu at 50% to have maximum efficiency (green thumbs up :))

That link shows 192W for the whole system, measured at the wall. So like 170w DC, presuming 90% efficiency. I still don't think you'd see that under normal use, I stand by my guess 120W peak load :)

Regarding the "forum wisdom" that PSUs are more efficient at 50% usage. I have two comments. You aren't running your pc at load all the time, mostly your pc is idle. Look at any efficiency curve of ano modern psu: difference between efficiency at 20% and at 50% and at 100% is only a few percent. Conclusion: you might save a few cents each month :)

But I see you ordered some things now, so I wish you good luck with your build!

That link shows 192W for the whole system, measured at the wall. So like 170w DC, presuming 90% efficiency. I still don't think you'd see that under normal use, I stand by my guess 120W peak load :)

Regarding the "forum wisdom" that PSUs are more efficient at 50% usage. I have two comments. You aren't running your pc at load all the time, mostly your pc is idle. Look at any efficiency curve of ano modern psu: difference between efficiency at 20% and at 50% and at 100% is only a few percent. Conclusion: you might save a few cents each month :)

But I see you ordered some things now, so I wish you good luck with your build!

Absolutely, I finally did follow your advise and went for the ST30SF - ultimately, I did like having more open space in the M1 and all the reviews for the ST30SF did also justify this ;)

Yeah I agree the ST30SF seems a better fit for you and it is easier to work with in the Ncase.
And as WiSK already said too, your computer will probably not be that much higher than 120W internally, since CPU's are so efficient these days.

Looks like a good alternative for the C14 and even more so for the C12/L12. Same mass as the larger C14, but without obstructing the side 3.5" HDD rack in the M1, and no side gap (and cheaper too).

Guys, I'll be going with an i7 4790k. WIll probably do a mild overclock initially and then push it more as it ages if i need to keep up with newer games. I'm not obsessive about noise, but appreciate quiet where possible.

No idea about CPU cooling however, so I could really use some input. When you guys talk about 'replacing the fan' do you mean replacing the intel heatsink (and fans) that come with the processor? I am guessing at a lot of this so wouldn't be surprised if i have a lot mixed up here.

Trying to figure out the difference between Noctua NH-C14, Noctua NH-L12 and the Scythe Kabuto II? I see AFD's quote above about the Scythe Kabuto (thanks).

Is this summary correct?
- Noctua NH-C14: Has 2x 140mm fans but we can only fit one when installing in the M1 case??? Larger fans than the L12 so presumably better cooling and quieter than the L12. A tight fit and (as per AFD's comment will block the 3.5" HDD rack (so what do people do? only use 2.5" drives?). What is the side-gap problem referred to in AFD's quote? Looks like $85 on newegg.

- Noctua NH-L12: Has a 120mm and a 92mm fan. Is it still too tall with both fans on? Looks like $70 on newegg. What are the pro's/con's for this one?

- Scythe Kabuto: Sounds like it fits more comfortably than the other two but I really need to read more about it.

Might read some more and try to clarify my thinking/questions but any input appreciated.

Last edited:
First page of this topic:

WIqcjC0.jpg

NH-L12

Thanks Phuncz. I remembered seeing that pic and that you had to fit it upside down. I don't know whether both fans are on it though (and my inexperienced eye can't tell from the pic).

I am probably leaning towards the C14 or the Kabuto than the L12 because it sounds like they are a better fit that than the L12. Don't really know how to decide though. Maybe it doesn't matter much??

No, the 92mm fan is not on there, it would have been visible, mounted between the heatsink and baseplate. The Kabuto2 and C14 seem to be better for high loads.

Hey guys

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the GPU cooler?

I'm running:
3770K w/H100i - Fans @ pull (exhausting air out) < I should really do this in push right?
Radeon 7950 Blower style
SFX 450W Bronze - intaking cool air

Should I have a fan on the bottom to intake cool air?
How can you raise the feet? The feet right now is not raising the case that much, only by a couple MM

Thanks

Thanks, interesting reading. Does this mean you don't need exhaust fans in most cases? How do you know if you have positive air pressure or negative?

Positive air pressure/flow means you have more air coming in than going out.

Negative is the exact opposite, where you have more air going out than coming in

Usually you want to have a positive air flow as dust cannot get into the small cracks of the case but just make sure you have dust filters on your intake

Thanks, interesting reading. Does this mean you don't need exhaust fans in most cases?
A case will work with all-intake or all-exhaust fans, it's just in the latter case you'll have problems with dust, due to the case interior being negative pressure and dust getting pulled in through every crack in the case, as sashi said. But that doesn't stop companies from designing cases this way. The EVGA Hadron, for example, has two 120mm fans as exhaust and no intake fans. If you want dust control, you want more intake than exhaust, and you want those intakes filtered.

Everytime I think I've made up my mind on what my future build is going to be like, somebody releases something new and amazing.

I already have a black M1 v1. So here's my third attempt at a theory build to fill it's empty soul.

I want to go for an all black system, as much as possible. With only white/silverish accent and white lighting. It will be used for gaming and photo/video editing.

CPU: Intel 4790K
I could wait for broadwell, but from what I am reading the performance increase won't be that much, and I can get the 4790K cheaper if I wait until desktop broadwell is released. If broadwell has much better thermals, power use and a feature or two that this doesn't, I may change my mind.

Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS
I don't need all the features the ROG Impact has and from what JJ @ Asus has been saying, this may be the only non-ROG overclockable ITX they will make for haswell refresh and broadwell. skylake is too far away for me to wait. I plan on fully utilizing all features so I will be getting my money's worth. All 4 SATA ports and the m.2 will be used. I love the 5 way optimization features as well. The onboard audio isn't the best but I plan on using external processing anyway. Most of the motherboard is black with the very slightest bronze accents on the heatsinks. They will be blocked out by the CPU heatsink and fans anyway so I don't mind.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600Mhz CL9
This is rather expensive at the moment. Probably going to get more so as I don't think Corsair is going to be manufacturing it for much longer. But I don't mind paying it so that I can have the improved cable routing and heatsink compatibility it will give me. It's black, with some green PCB which will be hidden once it is fully inserted into the slot.

M.2 SSD: Plextor M6e Series 512GB PCIe
This will max out what is possible on the motherboard I have chosen, and most manufacturers will be focusing on x4 PCIe m.2s from now on, so this may be the only real choice I have for a decent x2 PCIe m.2. Ugly green but thankfully Asus put their m.2 slot on the underside of the board. Probably never going to remove it because I doubt anything is going to come out that can beat it within the limit the motherboard allows. This will be the only drive in the entire system initially, I will be adding more as more money becomes available. So for now it will be used for OS, games, programs. I have external drives for media storage.

Power Supply: Silverstone Tek 600W SFX with included cables
Not really much to say since so much has been said already. I will be using the flat cable set it comes with. Thank god all the cables are black the entire way through. I will be installing the M1 ATX bracket first, then attaching the SFX bracket to it, and then the power supply to that. I have to remove the side fan bracket for everything to fit nicely. May have to use small zipties to support the ATX bracket holding onto everything. I will orient the power supply so that the fan faces the motherboard. I plan on using the gap between the power supply and the case front for cable management. There's even still space to mount two SSDs there. With this orientation the bronze sticker with all the product info will be visible. I will be peeling it off. Not sure if this voids the warranty or not. Using both brackets actually gives me greater compatibility with the large heatsink fan setup I plan on using. It also creates gaps and an extra rail to wrap and store cables.

CPU Cooler: Black Phanteks C Type Cooler
It's black and it looks great. I have also seen it fit in another build. The silver pipes will look good with the graphics card I have planned. Will have perfect compatibility because of the memory and power supply mounting choices I have made. I don't plan on using the stock 140mm fans as they have a white frame. Instead I will be using two Cryorig XF 140mm fans with their fan sticker removed. They're all black after that. I also have to buy a small black fan splitter cable. Silverstone has a nice one. The only thing I'm worried about is the top fan will be almost touching the side panel when closed. Thoughts?

Case Fans: 1 Noiseblocker 80mm slim fan, 2 Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12
The Noiseblocker will be used as exhaust in the rear and the Prolimatechs will be used for intakes in the bottom. All three are slim so I see no compatibility issues. All fans are PWM and will be connected to the motherboard and put on a decent fan curve. If the CPU temp goes up the Noiseblocker will spin up more, if the GPU temp goes up the Prolimatechs will spin up more. Another fan splitter will be used for the bottom fans and the noiseblocker gets its own motherboard fan header. So I'm getting full usage of the motherboard's 3 headers. demciflex dust filters will be installed on the external bottom of the case and the side panel.

Graphics Card: XFX Black Edition Double D R9 290X
This is by far, the best looking black graphics card I have ever seen. it has nice silver accents too. The logo lights up white and it faces downward so its not too invasive. The connectors are fine as they are in a recessed position and the card is only 11 inches long. It's an exact dual slot card so it won't interfere with the slim fans below it. Just one problem. It's 0.1 inches above the 5.5 inch width limit. Not sure if the manufacturer and Necere factor in the little piece of the back bracket that adds width into their specs or not either. So need some advice about this as well.

Sata SSD: 4 Angelbird WRK 512GB
These look like there were made for the M1. Black brushed aluminum all the way around. These will be added on gradually until I have 4 of them. When I do have all 4, The m.2 will be used for the OS and various Windows and Google software. It will also house all diagnostics and hardware management programs. SSD 1 will house a full Adobe video editing suite. SSD 2 will house all games. SSD 3 will be used strictly for import and temporary storage of raw files off of an SD card or other media. SSD 4 will be used strictly for export from Adobe and temporary storage of finished work. Will be using Silverstone's new black slim sata connectors. Two will be mounted on the case front, the other two will be mounted behind the power supply.

So what do you guys think? Will I have to do any slight modding to the side panel area for the GPU and CPU fans? or can I get away with a little squeezing? :D

Everytime I think I've made up my mind on what my future build is going to be like, somebody releases something new and amazing.

I already have a black M1 v1. So here's my third attempt at a theory build to fill it's empty soul.

I want to go for an all black system, as much as possible. With only white/silverish accent and white lighting. It will be used for gaming and photo/video editing.

CPU: Intel 4790K
I could wait for broadwell, but from what I am reading the performance increase won't be that much, and I can get the 4790K cheaper if I wait until desktop broadwell is released. If broadwell has much better thermals, power use and a feature or two that this doesn't, I may change my mind.

Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS
I don't need all the features the ROG Impact has and from what JJ @ Asus has been saying, this may be the only non-ROG overclockable ITX they will make for haswell refresh and broadwell. skylake is too far away for me to wait. I plan on fully utilizing all features so I will be getting my money's worth. All 4 SATA ports and the m.2 will be used. I love the 5 way optimization features as well. The onboard audio isn't the best but I plan on using external processing anyway. Most of the motherboard is black with the very slightest bronze accents on the heatsinks. They will be blocked out by the CPU heatsink and fans anyway so I don't mind.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600Mhz CL9
This is rather expensive at the moment. Probably going to get more so as I don't think Corsair is going to be manufacturing it for much longer. But I don't mind paying it so that I can have the improved cable routing and heatsink compatibility it will give me. It's black, with some green PCB which will be hidden once it is fully inserted into the slot.

M.2 SSD: Plextor M6e Series 512GB PCIe
This will max out what is possible on the motherboard I have chosen, and most manufacturers will be focusing on x4 PCIe m.2s from now on, so this may be the only real choice I have for a decent x2 PCIe m.2. Ugly green but thankfully Asus put their m.2 slot on the underside of the board. Probably never going to remove it because I doubt anything is going to come out that can beat it within the limit the motherboard allows. This will be the only drive in the entire system initially, I will be adding more as more money becomes available. So for now it will be used for OS, games, programs. I have external drives for media storage.

Power Supply: Silverstone Tek 600W SFX with included cables
Not really much to say since so much has been said already. I will be using the flat cable set it comes with. Thank god all the cables are black the entire way through. I will be installing the M1 ATX bracket first, then attaching the SFX bracket to it, and then the power supply to that. I have to remove the side fan bracket for everything to fit nicely. May have to use small zipties to support the ATX bracket holding onto everything. I will orient the power supply so that the fan faces the motherboard. I plan on using the gap between the power supply and the case front for cable management. There's even still space to mount two SSDs there. With this orientation the bronze sticker with all the product info will be visible. I will be peeling it off. Not sure if this voids the warranty or not. Using both brackets actually gives me greater compatibility with the large heatsink fan setup I plan on using. It also creates gaps and an extra rail to wrap and store cables.

CPU Cooler: Black Phanteks C Type Cooler
It's black and it looks great. I have also seen it fit in another build. The silver pipes will look good with the graphics card I have planned. Will have perfect compatibility because of the memory and power supply mounting choices I have made. I don't plan on using the stock 140mm fans as they have a white frame. Instead I will be using two Cryorig XF 140mm fans with their fan sticker removed. They're all black after that. I also have to buy a small black fan splitter cable. Silverstone has a nice one. The only thing I'm worried about is the top fan will be almost touching the side panel when closed. Thoughts?

Case Fans: 1 Noiseblocker 80mm slim fan, 2 Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12
The Noiseblocker will be used as exhaust in the rear and the Prolimatechs will be used for intakes in the bottom. All three are slim so I see no compatibility issues. All fans are PWM and will be connected to the motherboard and put on a decent fan curve. If the CPU temp goes up the Noiseblocker will spin up more, if the GPU temp goes up the Prolimatechs will spin up more. Another fan splitter will be used for the bottom fans and the noiseblocker gets its own motherboard fan header. So I'm getting full usage of the motherboard's 3 headers. demciflex dust filters will be installed on the external bottom of the case and the side panel.

Graphics Card: XFX Black Edition Double D R9 290X
This is by far, the best looking black graphics card I have ever seen. it has nice silver accents too. The logo lights up white and it faces downward so its not too invasive. The connectors are fine as they are in a recessed position and the card is only 11 inches long. It's an exact dual slot card so it won't interfere with the slim fans below it. Just one problem. It's 0.1 inches above the 5.5 inch width limit. Not sure if the manufacturer and Necere factor in the little piece of the back bracket that adds width into their specs or not either. So need some advice about this as well.

Sata SSD: 4 Angelbird WRK 512GB
These look like there were made for the M1. Black brushed aluminum all the way around. These will be added on gradually until I have 4 of them. When I do have all 4, The m.2 will be used for the OS and various Windows and Google software. It will also house all diagnostics and hardware management programs. SSD 1 will house a full Adobe video editing suite. SSD 2 will house all games. SSD 3 will be used strictly for import and temporary storage of raw files off of an SD card or other media. SSD 4 will be used strictly for export from Adobe and temporary storage of finished work. Will be using Silverstone's new black slim sata connectors. Two will be mounted on the case front, the other two will be mounted behind the power supply.

So what do you guys think? Will I have to do any slight modding to the side panel area for the GPU and CPU fans? or can I get away with a little squeezing? :D

hey mate

i have an XFX R9 290 DD and i can confirm the cooler fits no issues at all. have about 1.5cm spare room over the top of the cooler.

dont stress on this one ;)

That's good to know. Thanks. How are your temps with the panel closed?

I run 2x NB eLoop B12-2 under the 290 in the bottom which seems to run about 5deg cooler with then spinning at 800 than with just the290 with no fans. I rarely see see the GPU core go into the 70s, only after 2+ hours of metro redux have I reached that, with the vrms in the low 80s. The cooler however is quieter than the water 3.0 performer I have with 2x NB eLoop B12-P fans on it. It's a fantastic card at stock, and OCs very well from what ive heard. My CPU temps with a 4670k at 4.3ghz barely reach 60c after the same metro redux play times.

Back