NCASE M1 picture and build general log

• Thread starter Deleted member 222586
  • Start date
Dephcon, any chance you can measure space between CPU cooler fixing and PCI Express slot? Measuring from centre of screw fixing AIO cooler to motherboard PCI Express slot edge.

Thanks.

Almost done! [ Worklog ]

AISBW7L.jpg

Just got done installing my Noctua C12P on my Impact motherboard... fit like a glove!

If you could, you should update the shared document in the Ncase topic to let people know that cooler works on that motherboard, if it wasn't already mentioned. Nice to hear you found a "glove-fitting" cooler :)

Finally got my order in. So far I don't have any major issues the the Z87I GAMING besides some nitpicking about the board layout. I had bought the RAM so I wanted a matching mobo after realizing that the Impact isn't as great as it should have been.

I'll be running it like this until someone gets the flat cables back in stock:
1n0zaYT.jpg
Dephcon,

I ended up buying my flat cables off of Ebay. Paid almost twice as much as Amazon wanted for them ($44) but they are in stock and shipped fast. Should arrive Monday and I ordered on Thursday.

I was considering it but the shipping to Canada is brutal, I have plenty of overclock stability testing to do anyway so I can wait for newegg the restock. I wont be surprised if I end up reseating my waterblock at least once either.

Copy that. Sick build and congratulations on getting a v2.0 PSU. Hopefully I'll get to post pics of mine next Saturday.

I'm really not impressed with my 4700k roll, I'm about 3.5 hours stable at 4.5GHz/1.3V and I'll be lucky if it'll finish an 8 hour pass. Was really hoping to get a faster clock with less voltage. I really don't want to push it any farther as it will require a higher pump/fan RPM and I would like to keep it as quiet as possible.

I'm really not impressed with my 4700k roll, I'm about 3.5 hours stable at 4.5GHz/1.3V and I'll be lucky if it'll finish an 8 hour pass. Was really hoping to get a faster clock with less voltage. I really don't want to push it any farther as it will require a higher pump/fan RPM and I would like to keep it as quiet as possible.

What software are you using for stability testing? are you running the cache in sync with the core?

What software are you using for stability testing? are you running the cache in sync with the core?

I'm using the intel extreme tuning utility. I've actually gone down to 4.4GHz @ 1.25V because I wasn't able to get 1:1 with the cache without venturing into crazy voltage at 4.5GHz. Just finishing up an 8 hour run with the ring clock at default then I'll try to match it.

try this one, test1 to test core stability and see how much hot it will get ( it wont get hotter than this ), and test2 for L3 cache testing.

be very careful with the core voltage if you are running adaptive core voltage, because the cpu will draw 0.1v more than what you set.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mtfcor

Hopefully all my parts will be here by the weekend and I can do the build.

I caved and got the flat cables on ebay :(

I feel ya, I was super impatient too, so I just bit the bullet on cost. I'm glad I did though! I don't see how anyone could get all the cables to fit that originally come with the PSU! :rolleyes:

I'm slightly concerned that the EPS cable will be too short for the MSI GAMING, I might have to flip the PSU so that the fan faces the side panel or build an extension.

I'm slightly concerned that the EPS cable will be too short for the MSI GAMING, I might have to flip the PSU so that the fan faces the side panel or build an extension.

That's what I would suggest, I'm sure you've noticed; if you put the PSU fan towards the panel the EPS connector would be closest to the MOBO.

I have not seen the MSI board. Is the EPS connector on top of the MOBO? The cable in the PP05 kit is an ok length. You might not be able to hide it very well though...

EDIT: NVM, I see your pics. Damn, they put that thing way over there! :(

Last edited:
Yeah it was a real dumb decision on MSI's part. If the Impact was cheaper I would have gone with that.

However, if it is too short I can build a custom mobo side extension with 4 two conductor flat cables that should look super tidy can wrap right behind the mobo without any clearance issues. I might do that anyway as bending the 8 conductor cable 90* might look weird.

Lemme know if you'd like me to measure that EPS cable from the PP05 set. I've got to get back into my build tonight and re attach some stuff after troublehsooting some boot issues last night.

Shouldn't be a big deal to pop it off for a minute.

My #862 parts:

Silver Ncase M1 w/ no ODD Top and Silver feet
SilverStone ST45SF-G v2.0 w/ PP05-E cable set
Asrock Z87E-itx
Intel i7-4770k
Noctua C12P-SE14 (fan is temporary)
Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 8GB x2
Mushkin Enhanced Atlas mSATA 120GB larger SSD to come later
Sapphire R9 290
Win 8.1 Pro
Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 12mm Fan - 1200 RPM bottom fan, don't know if its helping or not but its quiet

I don't mind noise though the R9 does get a little loud. Right now I have a Cooljag Everflow 120mm x 32mm PWM Fan on order to replace the stock C12 fan. In addition to the fan I have a 120mm to 140mm adapter I'll try to use to span the gap to the heatsink for more direct flow. If I can fit it I may use the 140mm Noctua as a side exhaust near the front though I worry about pulling the warmer air right back in with the Cooljag. I also have filter material and foam stripping for the vented areas that I'll be installing soon.

Here's a few photos of the Noctua C12P-SE14 and finally build:
05-C12preinstall_zpsb6c9596e.jpg

07-C12installed_zps31ade5ed.jpg

10-FullUp_zps680b5c0e.jpg

11-Closed_zps8201411d.jpg

A few Corsair H100i shots for those looking (no kinking with it installed this way, block logo is upside down and block barbs are angled downward):
03-H100iInstalled_zps92448ce3.jpg

04-H100iInterior_zps8e6604c3.jpg

Any idea on idle/load temps?

Btw, sweet build!

Thanks.

According to Real Temp the cores are currently idling between 27-30C but its 18-19C in here.
I haven't really had time to bench it yet. In the past I've used Prime95 for my AMD builds but I don't know if there is something better out now.

So I ran 8 threads of small FFT in prime95 for 10mins(yes, I know thats not nearly enough time). Hottest core peaked at 80C, coolest at 72C. Seems rather hot at stock speeds no? I wonder if its the gap between the fan and the heatsink or if I put too much paste on. As soon as I clicked stop all the cores jumped down to the upper 40s.

Thanks.

According to Real Temp the cores are currently idling between 27-30C but its 18-19C in here.
I haven't really had time to bench it yet. In the past I've used Prime95 for my AMD builds but I don't know if there is something better out now.

Same motherboard, cpu and cooler here (with a gtx 770) and I'm getting the same idle temps with the stock fan with the uln adapter. I ordered a noctua nf-f12 that I plan to use in the bracket since its pwm and static pressure is pretty high. I haven't tested it under prime yet, most I see under gaming is ~50c. Only difference is I have the heat pipes facing the back so there is more of the heatsink the fan blows over, there is no clearance to remove my ram this way though.

@Sithsolo1

I think i'll probably revert my fans to the "inside"(as seen in your pic), rather than the outside. I'm not convinced it's good for the cables to be as kinked as they are in my build, even if the temperatures are stable.

Here's a few teaser pictures(before I actually do some proper cable management and make it pretty) with some custom cables installed :)
[not direct linking because they're fucking huge and i can't be arsed to crop/resize them]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/yu1wOr2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/ARMrmsj.jpg[/url]

edit: and if anyone was wondering where I got the cables from, it was [url=http://www.reddit.com/u/Lavins]this guy[/url] over on Reddit. He did a fantastic & quick job. They look and feel amazing and... well... I have nothing but praise for his [url=http://lavins.imgur.com/]work[/url].

Last edited:
So I ran 8 threads of small FFT in prime95 for 10mins(yes, I know thats not nearly enough time). Hottest core peaked at 80C, coolest at 72C. Seems rather hot at stock speeds no? I wonder if its the gap between the fan and the heatsink or if I put too much paste on. As soon as I clicked stop all the cores jumped down to the upper 40s.

Thanks, really appreciate that!

Wanted to know since I'll also be using the C12 on 4770k (w/F12 instead), and Andorski, over in the main thread, was initially hitting 85C with the larger C14 (120mm side fans) on Prime95.

Personally, I think I'll be happy if I can get around 40C idle and 80C load at stock speeds with that setup (would prefer 30/70C). Not even sure if it's worth bothering with an overclock on Haswell w/these coolers just to get a couple hundred MHz increase and dealing with the added heat.

Lol.. typed that last sentence, and just remembered my 1st Wintel machine was a 100MHz Pentium :)

Thanks, really appreciate that!

Wanted to know since I'll also be using the C12 on 4770k (w/F12 instead), and Andorski, over in the main thread, was initially hitting 85C with the larger C14 (120mm side fans) on Prime95.

Personally, I think I'll be happy if I can get around 40C idle and 80C load at stock speeds with that setup (would prefer 30/70C). Not even sure if it's worth bothering with an overclock on Haswell w/these coolers just to get a couple hundred MHz increase and dealing with the added heat.

Lol.. typed that last sentence, and just remembered my 1st Wintel machine was a 100MHz Pentium :)

I'm also running the C12 on the 4770K (gentle typhoon on the side bracket) and I'm getting low-mid 30's on idle temp and mid 70's on load temps. This is with the Asrock board.

The solution would be to lose the IHS on the Haswell CPU's but considering the coolers involved (concerning pressure and weight), this isn't a good idea (unless using a proper shim). The IHS alone increases the CPU temps about 10-20°C.
Considering my i5-4670K at stock it barely touches 60°C with the Noctua NH-L12 with the CPU IHS untouched, it might point towards improper placement like unevenly screwed down, too much thermal paste perhaps ?

Have you mounted the C12 cooler with the heatpipes on the top of the case (pointing downward) ? Because Noctua warns that it shouldn't be installed like that.

Not that I think you are not capable or anything, but something seems to be wrong here and I'd like to help find out why.

Finally finished tinkering!

I moved most of my parts from my previous build (a Node 304), and I had a lot of fun building in the M1. I knew exactly what I was going to do when I got it, but I was surprised by the versatility and potential I saw for future/other uses. I'd definitely buy/support an M2 ;). Anyway, here's what's in my build:

Hardware
MB: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: i5-3570K OC to 4.4GHz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 2x8GB
GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti Superclocked
Storage: 2 x Samsung EVO 256GB
PSU: Silverstone ST45F-G (fan mod to NB 80x12mm)
Case: NCASE M1 (#0097)

Watercooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II
EK GTX770 VGA Block
Alphacool NexXxos Slim 240
Adamantium/FrozenQ Reservoir
2x Corsair SP120 High Performance on radiator
Corsair AP120 on bottom
Lian Li PCI 3 Fan Speed Controller
PrimoChill Pure Intensified Coolant
PrimoChill Clear Tubing 3/8"-1/2"
EK Fittings

Notes
  • The case is barely audible at idle when I have the fan controller set low. Temps are around 32C idle in that situation, but testing will confirm.
  • The pump runs at 20% @ 20C to 50% @ 70C. At those levels, it is about as equally audible as the fans, when fans are set to min and max respectively.
  • I'm not going to stress both the CPU and GPU simultaneously right now because I'm not comfortable putting the ST45F-G through that, as good as it is. When/If Silverstone puts out a 600W I'll buy it. I tried to keep my temps low, to give some headroom when I can load both.
  • When I was buying parts and putting it together, I considered adding a slim 240mm rad I had lying around on the bottom to the bottom of the case, and mount the fans outside the case, and taller feet. After putting it together without doing this, I can say it would be really difficult, but not impossible. The biggest problem is, if you want to front IO, you'd need to mount the rad with the ports by the PCI slots. This means you'd need 90 degree fittings, which wouldn't really fit under the video card. So I think you'd have to take the front IO off with a rad on the bottom (apologies if this has been covered previously by someone, I just haven't seen it).

Pictures

The whole album is here: http://imgur.com/a/v0QB3, but here are a couple for those skimming:

#0097:

Side panel off. Feel like I need to straighten the magnetic strips:

The insides:

adamantium/FrozenQ reservoir:

"cable management"

Last edited:
The solution would be to lose the IHS on the Haswell CPU's but considering the coolers involved (concerning pressure and weight), this isn't a good idea (unless using a proper shim). The IHS alone increases the CPU temps about 10-20°C.
Considering my i5-4670K at stock it barely touches 60°C with the Noctua NH-L12 with the CPU IHS untouched, it might point towards improper placement like unevenly screwed down, too much thermal paste perhaps ?

Have you mounted the C12 cooler with the heatpipes on the top of the case (pointing downward) ? Because Noctua warns that it shouldn't be installed like that.

Not that I think you are not capable or anything, but something seems to be wrong here and I'd like to help find out why.

Mabye I'm missing something, but why would you have to lose the IHS completely? I plan on de-lidding mine after I get my build completely together, but I am going to put the IHS back on.

I don't see any issue with using the Noctua cooler I bought at that point due to the backplate putting the majority of the stress on the MOBO.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying... :(

Just plastidipped my panels glossy white. I'm going to let it cure until Friday and then I'll wipe off the overspray on the other side of the panels. Can't wait to put my M1 back together.

jXW4QTV.jpg

7NN7xNp.jpg

Just plastidipped my panels glossy white. I'm going to let it cure until Friday and then I'll wipe off the overspray on the other side of the panels. Can't wait to put my M1 back together.

That looks absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to see it back together either.

That looks absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to see it back together either.

+1, the plastidip actually turned out pretty nice! Post a pic with the panels on, when you get a chance

Finally finished tinkering!

Dude I love that custom water loop.

This was my first time doing a customized loop (well, as customized as you get with a H220), and looking back I learned a lot. There's a couple of things I'd do different....I'd probably get either a separate reservoir just to ease some of the tension on the tubing, and I'd definitely get a couple of 90 degree shoulders.

Having said all that, I decided to do it like this anyways to see what happened, everything was extremely tight on the endpoints and it passed a 24 hour leak test.

In the end I'm getting 62 C max on Furmark and about 48 max on Prime 95, that's with a 290X and 2500k. I'm very, very happy with my temps.

pyjj.jpg

14pr.jpg

vwnh.jpg

c8ks.jpg

jp88.jpg

fcjl.jpg

I'm loving seeing these full loop builds :cool:

In the end I'm getting 62 C max on Furmark and about 48 max on Prime 95, that's with a 290X and 2500k.
Right in the face of all those people who say a 240 rad "isn't enough" for such a powerful rig.

Back