NCASE M1 picture and build general log

• Thread starter Deleted member 222586
  • Start date
yeah cause gravity will pull the fluid down and into the pump and loop. once there's fluid in the pump power it up and keep filling. no damage unless it runs dry. the two pics you posted show different fill methods. the black/gold would have to sit on its front panel so fluid will flow to the pump. not sure if they used the t or the top of the pump... the clear one would sit upright and fill through that silver tube with the biohazard sign.

Thanks for your help. :)

Thanks for your help. :)
I'd also be wary of those "fancy" build pictures. The cooling capacity on the single Rad will be somewhat weaker unless you're running the fans at a relatively high speed. Additionally, that loop doesn't look like it holds much coolant, so overall heat capacity is relatively low unless you run the fans higher as well. So may be noisy.

The cabling in that image looks really sparse / trimmed down. Also in reality, building in the M1 is quite an exercise in space management.

Note you'll have to plug in your Storage, 1x or 2x, maybe 3x?
Power for all of that. Your VidCard Power + The bundle of cables for Mobo Power. All of that surprised me and gave me quite a bit of pain during my build (but with creative folding and routing, was able to get everything to fit.

I'd also be wary of those "fancy" build pictures. The cooling capacity on the single Rad will be somewhat weaker unless you're running the fans at a relatively high speed. Additionally, that loop doesn't look like it holds much coolant, so overall heat capacity is relatively low unless you run the fans higher as well. So may be noisy.

The cabling in that image looks really sparse / trimmed down. Also in reality, building in the M1 is quite an exercise in space management.

Note you'll have to plug in your Storage, 1x or 2x, maybe 3x?
Power for all of that. Your VidCard Power + The bundle of cables for Mobo Power. All of that surprised me and gave me quite a bit of pain during my build (but with creative folding and routing, was able to get everything to fit.

Yeah I knew from the get-go that this would be a long term project rather than just throw everything in. I plan on using an M.2 drive for my storage, so the only power I'd need would be mobo/cpu, graphics, and the pump. I was already planning on getting modded cables (for aesthetics and length). I've read about other builds using just the 240 rad with slim fans and temps seem to be fine (no mention of rpm of fans, but I wouldn't mind the extra noise).

All and all, it's an ambitious project that will require a lot of patience and planning.

I've got a really "n00bie" question: Where can I buy short cables for this case? I'm talking like 6-inch cables for SATA data/power, 8-pin, 6-pin and 4-pin power. I don't want to spend $60-$80 on those brand-name cable kits. Any website that sells them cheaper? I also want to customize them or buy them all in a red color, but affordability comes first. I've found some on Amazon but not exactly the length and color I'm looking for. Newegg is out of the question because of their crazy stupid shipping rates (I live in Hawaii).

Two noob questions (OK, w/ lots of sub-questions):
  1. I haven't seen any builds [here or elsewhere] with a GTX 1080 (I'm specifically looking at EVGA 1080 FTW), so I just want to confirm that there is room for the card.
    I am pretty sure there is, but I don't know if there are any gotchas.
    For example, the EVGA 1080 Classified specs says it is 5.9 inches high, and the M1 site says "For cards up to 11.5" (292mm) in the first or second slot: 5.5" (140mm)", so I am led to believe that the EVGA 1080 Classified won't fit...or will it?
    What cards DON'T actually fit?
    Wouldn't it be a fairly short list, more specific and less fuzzy to just keep track of those instead of giving overly cautious specs about what will fit?
  2. Is liquid cooling really required for fairly intense systems?
    I want to run an i5-6600K, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 1 SSD, 1 7200RPM HD on a Silverstone SX500-LG.
    Until I can confirm its temperature handling, I plan to just run it non-overclocked at first and then notch up the overclocking over time.
    Can this setup, even overclocked, be air fan cooled, or is liquid the only way to keep this reasonably cool?
    Is liquid cooling even quieter?
    I've read some places that some liquid cooling setups are louder than fan cooling setups, which, if true, then other than to be decadently cool, I wonder why any one would even bother with the added expense and complexity to end up with a louder system.
Thanks!

Update:

I found the answer to my #1.
I'm a noob here, so the best link I can provide right now is:
Thread #1717132 "NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)"
Post #20264
Basically, an EVGA 1080 FTW will fit, but you need to make/buy/use right angle cables for the card's top PCI-E connections.

Swooby

Last edited:
look in the main thread,several have done it... you need low-pro adapters, see here: NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

JVUJBoY.jpg

Debated on posting this to the main thread, and figured this might be better. It's not a V5 (it's a V3), and it's not amaze-balls powerful, but it's mine and I like it, and it does what I need it to and then some. Here's my Craigslist find (just the case) all dressed up, but first some specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4590
Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620
Motherboard: Asrock h97m-itx/ac
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC
Storage: Sandisk 120gb and WD 1tb Blue 2.5
PSU: Silverstone 450w Modular w/PP05 flex kit
Fans: 2x Corsair SP120 Quiet fans and 2x SP120 Purple LED fans (only other static pressure fans I had sitting around for testing, will probably replace at some point)

And now the gallery (nothing fancy, just a couple pics from my phone):

Ncase M1

Last edited:
look in the main thread,several have done it... you need low-pro adapters, see here: NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

JVUJBoY.jpg

FWIW, the official name of these PCI-E connectors are:
If I may be so bold, I feel that I have exhaustively searched the internet (if that is even possible) for these things, and I cannot find any officially manufactured right-angle version.
The versions sold on ebay, typically by http ://stores.ebay.com/newusedcomputerparts/, look like they are just snipped down standard connectors.
I suspect one can produce the same things for free with some hobby/precision dikes. Simply snip down the center dividers and one edge of the connector a few millimeters to get the wires to lay down better. For even lower profile you can pull the wires out w/ a pin and then sand down the head a tiny bit more (and re-snip as needed).

First time building using one of these and havent done many PC builds before, sorry if this question sounds dumb
Would it be safe to switch the HDD and Power LED connectors so I can get a Red power LED? I just want to color match the LED with my peripherals.

Is liquid cooling really required for fairly intense systems?
I want to run an i5-6600K, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 1 SSD, 1 7200RPM HD on a Silverstone SX500-LG.
Until I can confirm its temperature handling, I plan to just run it non-overclocked at first and then notch up the overclocking over time.
Can this setup, even overclocked, be air fan cooled, or is liquid the only way to keep this reasonably cool?
Is liquid cooling even quieter?
I've read some places that some liquid cooling setups are louder than fan cooling setups, which, if true, then other than to be decadently cool, I wonder why any one would even bother with the added expense and complexity to end up with a louder system.

it's not required, these GPUs automatically throttle themselves at something like 85°C (fan speeding up and become noisy in heavy load)
Off course if you want maximum performance and oc, watercooling really help, and it's much more quiet.
Before wc i was 85°C and noisy, now it's more like 45°C and quiet (in full load)

Back