Ncase M1 or Zotac EN908 SE or MSI Vorte

MeroVanq

n00b
Been looking around for what to get for the next computer, I have some previous experience in PC building but not for a long time so not wanting anything too challenging.

I've looked at the M1 Case and have a selection of parts below. Alternatively I'm trying to decide if the performance improvement is worth it relative to a Zotac Magus EN980 Special Addition (MAGNUS EN980 SPECIAL EDITION | ZOTAC) which I'd add 16GB DDR3L-1600 and an Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive. MSI Vortex with either SLI 1070 or single 1080 is also an option but seems very expensive for what it is.

1. What will you be doing with this PC?

Gaming (WoW, Football Manager etc but want options to be able to play any games which take my fancy), then watching movies / videos

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)
No overclocking - potentially happy to watercool for noise.

3. What's your budget?
£2,000ish - cost isn't the driving factor within reason

4. Where do you live?
UK

Part list below

8. What resolution output do you need?
Need - 1440p playback on 2x AOC 2770G4 or 1 x 34" widescreen monitor with Gsync
Want - 4k playback & VR capble

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive?
Yes - small form factor with attractive design (hence Ncase, Zotac EN980 or MSI Vortex)
No optical drive

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring?
Have done some builds before, but not for a long time, so not wanting something too difficult!

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem?
Very important - critical issue for me to get the most amount of performance possible into a small FF attractive case but with limited noise - would sacrifice some performance for noise

12. How mobile does this system need to be?
Doesn't need to be mobile

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Win8 64bit

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC
Immediately -> in a couple weeks - once decided!

NCase M1 Silver:

CPU - Intel Core i7-6700T 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (Selected the T version due to noise/power - any thoughts?)
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (wanted Thunderbolt 3)
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Graphics - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Power - Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Thermal compound - artic silver

Anything I'm missing or suggestions on alternates?

I've also looked at the S4 Mini (S4 Mini) as that looks very nice but not sure if this would be quiet & powerful enough with their suggested components

Streacom DB4 (DB4 Fanless Chassis | Streacom) I think is gorgeous, but not sure it can have any graphics cards of note in them? Anyone done/seen any builds using this as I can't see any online. Would be very interested if I could get a good enough spec into it.

Last edited:
I've been reading about mobile versions of the chips having a different architecture but being similarly powered in the 10x series. Is this an option to reduce the heat/noise?

No idea the pro/cons of the t version cpu picked out but your op list looks good:). Should be a sweet build!

T cpus have very low TDPs, and can't be overclocked

I'm actually looking at getting a 6700T to replace my 3570K, the 35W TDP is VERY enticing.

T cpus have very low TDPs, and can't be overclocked

I'm actually looking at getting a 6700T to replace my 3570K, the 35W TDP is VERY enticing.
well i suspect in many cases one can just lower the vcore and achieve the same thing.....at least regarding xeons this was often the case. But who knows!

Back