Ncase m1 Noctua D9L High temps

dk_1

n00b
Hello,

I did just buy the Noctua D9L and put it in my ncase m1, But i think my temps are higher than it should be running a Intel i5 5675c at stock speed 65w tdp and my Gpu is Asus Gtx 670 DC II also running at stock. I think my problem maybe that the gpu i dumping to much heat into the chassi. I have no extra fans for now only the one on the d9L. i get better idle temps with the new cooler but at load it is the same as intels stock cooler. Also my idle is high 40c and my room is 22c.

thankful for tips and help.

That sounds like a bad thermal paste application/cooler installation (fan orientation etc.) I recommend you check those first. I have D9L on i5 3470 (77w) and max temps are 54-55 in stress load (in a corsair air 240 tho) but either way i think a 92/80mm fan on the back of the case would help a lot (y)

I did just buy the Noctua D9L and put it in my ncase m1,

I have the same cpu cooler in my nCase (though on a 6700k)...my idle temps are around 30°C, full load temps are just over 60°C (video encoding), and gaming stays steady in the 40-50°C range. I have added some other case fans which help drop a few degrees...they more help by allowing me to lower the fan speeds on the 92mm fans to keep noise down.

Do you have the fan oriented so it blows toward the back of the case or the top? Do you have any other case fans (on side or bottom)?

I'd put a nice quiet Noctua case fan in there somewhere. Either to push cool air in or pull hot air out. depending on how you have everything circulating.

I have the same cpu cooler in my nCase (though on a 6700k)...my idle temps are around 30°C, full load temps are just over 60°C (video encoding), and gaming stays steady in the 40-50°C range. I have added some other case fans which help drop a few degrees...they more help by allowing me to lower the fan speeds on the 92mm fans to keep noise down.

Do you have the fan oriented so it blows toward the back of the case or the top? Do you have any other case fans (on side or bottom)?
I have one more case fan at front on the bracket as intake. I have now about 74 at full load and about 40c idle its better but i only have a 65w cpu so i really want some lower temps. Maybe a second 92mm as exaust Will help.

That sounds like a bad thermal paste application/cooler installation (fan orientation etc.) I recommend you check those first. I have D9L on i5 3470 (77w) and max temps are 54-55 in stress load (in a corsair air 240 tho) but either way i think a 92/80mm fan on the back of the case would help a lot (y)
Yes maybe i Will check that as soon as i have time.

Is the creditcard method viable to put on thermalpaste? Put a thin layer on the whole surface of the cpu

Is the creditcard method viable to put on thermalpaste? Put a thin layer on the whole surface of the cpu

Credit card method is fine...you just want to make sure there is a nice thin layer with even distribution. 40°C idle is definitely high and sounds like there is something going on...

Few other things you can check if the thermal paste isn't the issue...

- A 120mm fan on the side bracket blowing cool air to the CPU area should help. I personally have not noticed a huge difference with the second 92mm fan on the D9L...if you do want it, I found it works better mounted to the rear of the case as an exhaust.
- Not sure if your motherboard will allow for adjusting your fan speeds, but if so go into the bios and see the settings. You may have a weird fan profile for your CPU. Similarly, if you use a program to control your fan speeds, make sure the profile is aggressive enough.
- Try taking out your GPU and seeing if CPU temperatures stay the same. It may be a factor if it is dumping a lot of hot air into the CPU area.
- Similarly, check your PSU orientation and see if it is dumping hot air into your CPU area.
- Verify the temperatures you are getting with different programs. I've had a couple of programs in the past give incorrect information (not for CPU temp though).

Hope this helps!

Definitely too high!

I'm a big fan of manually spreading thermal paste. See der8auer's youtube video for why:

Honestly - it just makes so much more sense than random blobs.

My own d9L ran about 26 degrees idle with an i5 6600k. I had fans on the bottom of the case pulling air up into the case, and dual CPU fans oriented towards the rear. This cooler also works in a vertical orientation too which I think is better under higher loads.

Back