NCASE M1 and RGB Lightning

Rhialto

Gawd
While I never was a huge fan of LED lightning everywhere (fans, sticks, stripes) I can see a potential with Aura Sync because you have total control and everything can be in sync so you can go all disco or prefer a gentle relaxing lightning from all your compatible devices.

Knowing how imaginative people are I was wondering if there is a modification that could be done that would allow Aura lightning to be seen. Sure there is the ususal windowed side panel but what else?

Lightning is on opposite side of back panel, meaning toward front of the case.

GEDZMWa.png

One quick that come to mind would be a thin line of frosty glass on front panel to catch the lightning but from what I see behind the cover, not sure there is a clear path to reach the front panel and with the distance it would not look as good as this.

iGt21LD.png

But some talented people may come with impressive suggestions so that's why I started this thread.

Who knows if one suggestion please everyone enough that could make it in a V6?

Yeah, I don't think the lighting would get past all the cables, PSU, distance and such to make it look that pretty. I love the idea though!

Window mod seems to be the easiest solution unless you want to try using something like fiber optic cables to transfer the light over somewhere which seems silly.

Funny this morning I see the new Corsair ONE computer is revealed and use the same idea I had! On both sides though... and not sure yet if it's Aura or one color.

IMG0052889.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that if you just run some led strips around the perforation on the side panel, this would be enough to give the entire section a nice hue.
The same could be done with led strips mounted behind the front panel - the slight overhang above the front I/O would definitely give you enough room for the effect to show.

Some quick phone pics for you..

20170209_090100.jpg 20170209_090106.jpg

The image on left is being lit from an led strip mounted on the inside of the top panel. This is just a single strip so you have plenty of room to boost the brightness if needed.
The image on the right is just the motherboard audio which has a small led section. Normally I turn this off in BIOS but you can see even a small amount is reflected by the edges of the perforation.

The Strix GPUs have their own little built in RGB party shaped to your parts if you're into that sort of thing. Though, the best part is you can turn it off when it inevitably becomes annoying :)

20170213_020030.jpg

20170213_020656.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jspr
like this
I must admit this looks better than a few years ago. Much better implementation!

Here I come with a better idea. I think having a small line like this, maybe 2mm wide and filled by sand blasted transparent plastic (aka frosty) would add a nice touch, one could stick a LED strips behind it for a nice effect. This mod would be easy to do by Lian Li and people would only have to choose if they want the panel with or without that line just like they do for optical drive. Another option would be to offer both insert, a black one and transparent frosty users would quickly snap in. I even think it can be done without additional cost just like for the drive slot. This would add a nice touch and would easy to achieve in a short period without having to wait 8 months.

upload_2017-2-23_9-31-29.png

Last edited:
Here I come with a better idea. I think having a small line like this, maybe 2mm wide and filled by sand blasted transparent plastic (aka frosty) would add a nice touch, one could stick a LED strips behind it for a nice effect. This mod would be easy to do by Lian Li and people would only have to choose if they want the panel with or without that line just like they do for optical drive. Another option would be to offer both insert, a black one and transparent frosty. I even think it can be done without additional cost just like for the drive slot. This would add a nice touch and would easy to achieve in a short period without having to wait 8 months.

View attachment 17658

I think that looks really classy (for RGB), but I am worried that a long cut in the center of the front panel would make it weaker and susceptible to bending when the panel is removed. Am I being unrealistic?

I think that looks really classy (for RGB), but I am worried that a long cut in the center of the front panel would make it weaker and susceptible to bending when the panel is removed. Am I being unrealistic?
Yes you are ;) this aluminium is sturdy and would require much force to bend. Nacere could tell more... and maybe the line could also be shortened a bit.

I always thought that having a rgb light right above the power switch and IO on the front would be nice. Something that illuminates the IO on the front, but allows you to set it cpu temp would be nice.

You wouldnt see the lights, or have any changes to the case, but rather the LED shines down out of that front part so all you get is a soft glow spilling onto the front IO

LED shines down out of that front part so all you get is a soft glow spilling onto the front IO
Interesting! Was not able to find a picture from that angle showing how it is made above front ports, is it open? Can you take a picture?

Original layout:

The from won't go on with the strip here... I didn;t take a pic of it when I corrected it :/

XwlWSSI.jpg
CAeDSCu.jpg

Nice but how did you make it to have this blue light comes on the carpet? Since I don't have the case I don't know what space there is.

Nice but how did you make it to have this blue light comes on the carpet? Since I don't have the case I don't know what space there is.

There is a 1.5 mm gap between the front panel and the I/O module (USB 3.0 and audio connectors) at the bottom of the case.

Yes, that is the idea I was thinking would be cool. ncase could make a simple led bar (frosted plexi with 2 rgb leds on each end) that simply screws in above the IO.

Then it would be up to the user to figure out a hookup for it if they want color based on temp, or if they just wanted a static color.

Here I come with a better idea. I think having a small line like this, maybe 2mm wide and filled by sand blasted transparent plastic (aka frosty) would add a nice touch, one could stick a LED strips behind it for a nice effect. This mod would be easy to do by Lian Li and people would only have to choose if they want the panel with or without that line just like they do for optical drive. Another option would be to offer both insert, a black one and transparent frosty users would quickly snap in. I even think it can be done without additional cost just like for the drive slot. This would add a nice touch and would easy to achieve in a short period without having to wait 8 months.

View attachment 17658

If you can make the smooth cut .. no plastic is needed .

Simply tape over the slot with some 3m delicates tape and mix some epoxy ..if allowed to pool in the slot from behind - it will dry clear in the slot on the tape ..then remove tape .

Even if an additive like silica is added to the epoxy to frost it slightly the LEDs should shine through very nicely .

Also YMMV I have done this with fiberglass , but not aluminum yet .. but will try when I have access to some scrap of something similiar . With fiberglass you can wet sand with very little noticeable scratches up front if the epoxy is not perfect which I would hesitate to do on the $200 case imported from overseas.

Kenny

Back