NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I have always wanted to try to do a custom water cooled build in the M1, but so far I haven't been able to bring myself to do it since I've heard so many times that the performance is the same as top end air coolers.

A little late replying to this, but don't give up on watercooling the M1. With the correct hardware, you can make a very silent and powerful gaming NCase M1 system and still maintain good temps. With the config below, my gaming temps for 1440p have never got above 60c and the system stays silent. The slim fans with the slim radiator are perfect for this case. I did, however, have to make taller feet to allow more air intake.

It drives me crazy to hear fans during a game. Above all, my first priority is a dead-silent system. During gaming I don't hear them at all. The second was not to modify the case (my only mod was to drill two holes in the front to mount the pump which seemed acceptable.) The radiator was positioned in the system in a way that did not require cutting the USB or audio cables on the front panel. I had to move the radiator toward the back of the case about a half-inch or so. The compromise here was to only mount the bottom fans to the case with only two screws. Initially I was concerned there would be audible vibration as a result, but this has not been the case. They're pretty well sandwiched in there.

This config is my best one yet. My old config had the TX240 with Noctua 25mm thick fans, but the air was choked between the radiator and GPU. Even with the stronger fans, it was louder and temps were higher. The config below is much better allowing more airflow ( 1/2" between radiator and GPU).

i5-6500 (no overclock)
GTX1070, (no overclock)
XSPC TX240
(2) Nocuta NF-A12x15 PWM (intake fresh air from the bottom)
(1) NF-A9 PWM (exhaust)
EK D5 pump

upload_2019-3-17_12-11-41.png

Pump:
upload_2019-3-17_12-21-51.png

Radiator Fans:
upload_2019-3-17_12-23-6.png

Case Fan:
upload_2019-3-17_12-23-34.png

Last edited:
Can anyone of the RTX 20X0 owners please answer this. I have to decide between the Asus Strix 2080, EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming or XC Ultra.
What are your experiences with it. I would prefer the Asus, but have concerns about the minimal airflow on the windowside, because of the little air gap between the tall card and the window glas.
On the EVGA side, would be a XC with 120x25mm better than a XC Ultra with 120x15mm? I use a C14s with an Ryzen 2700X, so it gets hot in there.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I know the great charts of M1AF for air cooling. But found nothing to the airflow "problem".

Last edited:
A little late replying to this, but don't give up on watercooling the M1. With the correct hardware, you can make a very silent and powerful gaming NCase M1 system and still maintain good temps. With the config below, my gaming temps for 1440p have never got above 60c and the system stays silent.

i5-6500 (no overclock)
GTX1070, (no overclock)
XSPC TX240
(1) NF-A9 PWM (exhaust)
EK D5 pump

Yes a single 240mm radiator is fine for this kind of hardware, I had in my first Ncase M1 watercooled build a very similar setup:

Intel i7-3770 @ 4.15 Ghz (delidded)
EVGA GTX 1070 @ 2 Ghz GPU / 4.5 Ghz memory
240mm radiator (27mm thick) with 2 good fans

Gaming load at 24°C ambient and 850 rpm fanspeed:

CPU peak at 51°C
GPU peak at 41°C

Prime95 load was something under 60°C

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

Yes a single 240mm radiator is fine for this kind of hardware, I had in my first Ncase M1 watercooled build a very similar setup:

Intel i7-3770 @ 4.15 Ghz (delidded)
EVGA GTX 1070 @ 2 Ghz GPU / 4.5 Ghz memory
240mm radiator (27mm thick) with 2 good fans

Gaming load at 24°C ambient and 850 rpm fanspeed:

CPU peak at 51°C
GPU peak at 41°C

Prime95 load was something under 60°C

View attachment 148915View attachment 148916
View attachment 148917 View attachment 148918

Which way were your fans running...?

Which way were your fans running...?

Because this are Noiseblocker fans on the radiator, always at push, because with pull they get much louder, this special fans need enough clearance if used in pull (like a shroud between fan and radiator with 2cm or more space), due the special form. With Noctua fans you don't have this "problem", they perform the same in pull and push from the noise level. But I had choosen this Noiseblocker fans instead of Noctua fans, because their tone on higher rpm (above 600 rpm) was a way more pleasant for my ears and for subjective more silence I gained 2-3K better temps in total, because I could ran this fan setup slighty faster.

The fresh air is taken from Ncase M1 top input and the hot air gets out of the side panel. This was on my testing the best result for my setup.

I recently made a change to my PC which I'm really happy about.

I had the "standard" 2 bottom intake fans and open air cooler GPU configuration, which in my opinion although the easiest, its not the best by far. 2 fans mismatched in size and position working that close seems counterproductive.

GPU temps would hit about 67 degrees even in light gaming and in heaven benchmark up to 80ºC at 50% fan speed, at which it was very audible (ambient temperature around 30ºC, I have to use a very thick filter in the bottom intake, GPU fan profile set to default, NF-B12 fans at fixed 900 RPM)

I was thinking about replacing the GPU cooler with on of those aftermarket coolers, but I think the stock heatsink is actually well sized for the thermal load, and the shroud looks good.

So I just removed the GPU fans and made a EVA cover for the bottom fans with openings matching the shroud openings where the stock fans were, so all the bottom fans' output goes through the heatsink. Also connected the bottom fans to the GPU fan header and made a custom fan profile, always on, ranging 600-1200 RPM.

It actually works better than I expected! Light gaming does not go over 55ºC (somehow DMC5 on ultra is in this category?), even at a lower RPM than my previous solution. Heaven now tops at 75ºC. In both cases it takes much longer to reach the equilibrium temperature. I can never hear it.

GPU is an EVGA GTX 1070 SC, bottom fans NF-B12 Redux 1700.

Some pics (at some point I plan to work on cable management and better fitting the cover to the fans...)
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:
So I just removed the GPU fans and made a EVA cover for the bottom fans with openings matching the shroud openings where the stock fans were, so all the bottom fans' output goes through the heatsink. Also connected the bottom fans to the GPU fan header and made a custom fan profile, always on, ranging 600-1200 RPM.

It actually works better than I expected! Light gaming does not go over 55ºC (somehow DMC5 on ultra is in this category?), even at a lower RPM than my previous solution. Heaven now tops at 75ºC. In both cases it takes much longer to reach the equilibrium temperature. I can never hear it.

Looks great! How did you make the EVA cover, I'm interested in trying the same thing?

Looks great! How did you make the EVA cover, I'm interested in trying the same thing?
I took the measures from the card, cut the circular holes in the same size and spacing in an EVA sheet, than cut around the holes a piece bigger than what the final piece should be (exacly the size of 2 120mm fans). I left a margin of around 2-3 cm in each side. Then, started a process of inserting it in the gap between the card and the fans, aligning the holes by eye, removing it, cutting some of the excess from the extremities, repeat. As you can see in the pictures, I've stopped short of doing a good job of removing the excess...

Originally, after the cover was finished I had planned to cut another identical piece and place it over it for a more tight fit. But I was tired and skipped this step...

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to try this, is that it will increase the total amount of airflow passing through the GPU heatsink, but it will decrease the overall airflow to the case. So, bottom intake will output less air and at a higher temperature than the standard solution.

It might be a good idea to have another intake to feed fresh air to the CPU (I don't have it, but I'm using an undervolted i5-4670 and my current cooler is oversized for it's load, maximum it ever reaches is 65 ºC).

A little late replying to this, but don't give up on watercooling the M1. With the correct hardware, you can make a very silent and powerful gaming NCase M1 system and still maintain good temps. With the config below, my gaming temps for 1440p have never got above 60c and the system stays silent. The slim fans with the slim radiator are perfect for this case. I did, however, have to make taller feet to allow more air intake.

It drives me crazy to hear fans during a game. Above all, my first priority is a dead-silent system. During gaming I don't hear them at all. The second was not to modify the case (my only mod was to drill two holes in the front to mount the pump which seemed acceptable.) The radiator was positioned in the system in a way that did not require cutting the USB or audio cables on the front panel. I had to move the radiator toward the back of the case about a half-inch or so. The compromise here was to only mount the bottom fans to the case with only two screws. Initially I was concerned there would be audible vibration as a result, but this has not been the case. They're pretty well sandwiched in there.

This config is my best one yet. My old config had the TX240 with Noctua 25mm thick fans, but the air was choked between the radiator and GPU. Even with the stronger fans, it was louder and temps were higher. The config below is much better allowing more airflow ( 1/2" between radiator and GPU).

i5-6500 (no overclock)
GTX1070, (no overclock)
XSPC TX240
(1) NF-A9 PWM (exhaust)
EK D5 pump

View attachment 148681

Pump:
View attachment 148684

Radiator Fans:
View attachment 148685

Case Fan:
View attachment 148686

you have a build log?

I took the measures from the card, cut the circular holes in the same size and spacing in an EVA sheet, than cut around the holes a piece bigger than what the final piece should be (exacly the size of 2 120mm fans). I left a margin of around 2-3 cm in each side. Then, started a process of inserting it in the gap between the card and the fans, aligning the holes by eye, removing it, cutting some of the excess from the extremities, repeat. As you can see in the pictures, I've stopped short of doing a good job of removing the excess...

Originally, after the cover was finished I had planned to cut another identical piece and place it over it for a more tight fit. But I was tired and skipped this step...

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to try this, is that it will increase the total amount of airflow passing through the GPU heatsink, but it will decrease the overall airflow to the case. So, bottom intake will output less air and at a higher temperature than the standard solution.

It might be a good idea to have another intake to feed fresh air to the CPU (I don't have it, but I'm using an undervolted i5-4670 and my current cooler is oversized for it's load, maximum it ever reaches is 65 ºC).

Awesome thanks. I have an 240mm AIO so not worried about the CPU but the GPU can hit 82 during gaming, so want to improve that. Have just placed intake ans underneath which is helping a lot, just in terms of how the case feels but want to know what to consider next.

Final questions - did you go after any particular EVA foam, thickness etc. and what program are you using to control the fans and are you having to use the fan grills?

Cheers!

I noticed after changing the GPU stock fans to the Noctuas, the Fan tachometer monitoring shows random spikes at some points in the graph. Like, its sitting at around 700 RPM, but suddenly there is a single data point at 1600-1650 RPM (close to the max speed of the fan), than back to 700 RPM. It seems to happen at around 2 times per minute, at random intervals, and the "% fan speed" graph does not show a corresponding spike. Oh, also, 50% fan speed in msi afterburner actually corresponds to the max speed of my fans.

Any idea why that might be?

Final questions - did you go after any particular EVA foam, thickness etc. and what program are you using to control the fans and are you having to use the fan grills?
I just bought a random sheet of black EVA, around 2 mm thick i guess. I've picked it because it's easy to work with, does not deteriorate and looks fine. But honestly any material that you can cut and is thick enough to fill the gap between the GPU and fans will do, even some cardboard perhaps. I do not use the fan grills. I'm using MSI Afterburner to control fan speeds. What GPU model are you using?

Last edited:
I noticed after changing the GPU stock fans to the Noctuas, the Fan tachometer monitoring shows random spikes at some points in the graph. Like, its sitting at around 700 RPM, but suddenly there is a single data point at 1600-1650 RPM (close to the max speed of the fan), than back to 700 RPM. It seems to happen at around 2 times per minute, at random intervals, and the "% fan speed" graph does not show a corresponding spike. Oh, also, 50% fan speed in msi afterburner actually corresponds to the max speed of my fans.

I just bought a random sheet of black EVA, around 2 mm thick i guess. I've picked it because it's easy to work with, does not deteriorate and looks fine. But honestly any material that you can cut and is thick enough to fill the gap between the GPU and fans will do, even some cardboard perhaps. I do not use the fan grills. I'm using MSI Afterburner to control fan speeds. What GPU model are you using?

I've got an EVGA 1070 FTW so should be close to identical as yours physically.

No idea about the fans, sorry. I've mostly left this kind of thing at stock until now.

Not sure about the spikes but I do think it can be related to the fan specs in the BIOS of the card not matching your new fans. You're probably never hitting the correct min. rpm for the fans?
Here's a quick post/tip on what I did: post-1043722769

Not sure about the spikes but I do think it can be related to the fan specs in the BIOS of the card not matching your new fans. You're probably never hitting the correct min. rpm for the fans?
Here's a quick post/tip on what I did: post-1043722769
I see. I though 100% speed would be 12 V, but so its instead 3000 RPM (max stock fans RPM). Thank you. I'm not sure about minimum speed (450 RPM) as I did not try to go that low. I'll check that.

I currently have a C14 + an intake fan on the side bracket and an Accelero III with fans set as exhaust and a 92 mm as exhaust. Now I am switching to a 2080 ti XC Ultra which can fit some slim fans underneath Assuming I have these fans as intakes on the bottom should I switch any of my other fans to exhaust? If I don't i'll only have a 92mm + the normal thermal heat rise for exhaust

darrpara bottom and rear intake. Side exhaust

Bawjaws yes it will fit

doostin probably not

About this setup Nanook, How will you setup your fans if using a Tempered Glass?

About this setup Nanook, How will you setup your fans if using a Tempered Glass?
With the windowed panel, I’ve tried bottom intake, and only rear exhaust. Make sure the C14S fan is blowing away from the motherboard. I’ve never had good temperatures with this setup... even with a 3000rpm 140mm fan screaming, my cpu still get very toasty. The tiny 92mm exhaust just can’t keep up with expelling all the warm air. Looks cool though. Only fix is to swap to bottom exhaust.

Last edited:
For anyone running a high core count (6+ cores) Ryzen CPU & a Radeon VII GPU in the NCASE M1, what are you doing to cool it all & what temps are you seeing...?

I am hoping Alphacool comes out with a version of their hybrid water block for the Radeon VII, thoughts on cooling with a single 240mm radiator (30mm or 45mm thick)...?!?

Thanks...!

Wow. Did not know that an 240mm was better than C14(S). Why arent all going that route then? Price? or is there some clearence issues or noise or ?

Because of the stupid radiator noise, both idle and otherwise as well. People go air coolers instead of water coolers mainly because of noise. Then performance.

Because of the stupid radiator noise, both idle and otherwise as well. People go air coolers instead of water coolers mainly because of noise. Then performance.

This. I had a tower cooler, swapped to a 240mm rad ages ago, dropped temps 10-15 degrees, even with my gentle typhoon fans on it, the pump was just annoying. And the gurgling of the water annoyed me too. I'd rather sacrifice temps over silence personally!

Now i run only the GPU to fend for itself, PSU facing outward, one 92mm heatsink fan and one 92mm exhaust. 92mm set as low RPM until they need to ramp up a little, but even then not much noise wise. GPU becomes the loudest thing over gaming.

I currently have a C14 + an intake fan on the side bracket and an Accelero III with fans set as exhaust and a 92 mm as exhaust. Now I am switching to a 2080 ti XC Ultra which can fit some slim fans underneath Assuming I have these fans as intakes on the bottom should I switch any of my other fans to exhaust? If I don't i'll only have a 92mm + the normal thermal heat rise for exhaust

Don't think that 92mm exhaust does you any good. Probably just more noise for no real decrease in temperatures.

Also, have you tried putting the side bracket as exhaust as well to see how the temps are compared to intake (I assume your C14 has both fans as exhaust as well)?

I recently made a change to my PC which I'm really happy about.

I had the "standard" 2 bottom intake fans and open air cooler GPU configuration, which in my opinion although the easiest, its not the best by far. 2 fans mismatched in size and position working that close seems counterproductive.

GPU temps would hit about 67 degrees even in light gaming and in heaven benchmark up to 80ºC at 50% fan speed, at which it was very audible (ambient temperature around 30ºC, I have to use a very thick filter in the bottom intake, GPU fan profile set to default, NF-B12 fans at fixed 900 RPM)

I was thinking about replacing the GPU cooler with on of those aftermarket coolers, but I think the stock heatsink is actually well sized for the thermal load, and the shroud looks good.

Some pics (at some point I plan to work on cable management and better fitting the cover to the fans...)
View attachment 148960 View attachment 148961 View attachment 148962 View attachment 148963

You have the bottom fans as exhaust or intake? Exhaust is usually the best, but it's always different based on different set-ups. Also, it's pretty annoying that all GPU manufacturer still provide the shittiest fan profiles ever, with GPU fans going from 0% to 40%, and there being nothing in-between. CPU fan control in Mobo BIOSes are bad as well (forcing 100% speed at 80C) in similar ways. SpeedFan is always the best way to go here.

But yeah, taking off the fan shroud and just attaching fans at the bottom work really well on the GPUs that allow this. Much cheaper and simpler than a dedicated GPU heatsink. I remember in my previous NCASE build that after removing the shroud on my 1080 Strix and using 2 bottom P12 Noctua fans at around 1000 RPM max, the temps stayed the same (around 78-80C on load, which is completely fine) as GPU stock. But the noise was far, far better (I frankly find all modern GPUs to sound detestably loud as they are). So good that the coil whine noise started appearing and became the most annoying factor -- though easily solvable by an insignificant downclock and reduced voltage. Another tips to help improve temps is raising the bottom case feets by attaching new ones. They're expensive as hell, and really not worth it price/perf, but if you got money to throw away, these ones are nice. Hopefully, SFFLAB does something similiar in a future revision of the NCASE.

I was stupid enough to not keep the C14 when selling my previous build, so now I'm searching all over the internet for a used one. Thinking of doing my next build similar to my last one, but this time with the upcoming 3600X + B550 boards and A12X25 fans instead. Hoping for improved thermals all around. If anyone considers selling their C14, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone testet to use a blower style graphics card without the cooler cover? Such that, 2 Noctua 120x25mm Fans directly blow on the cooler as in-take fans.

Last edited:
Has anyone testet to use a blower style graphics card without the cooler cover? Such that, 2 Noctua 120x25mm Fans directly blow on the cooler as in-take fans.
My guess is that would be pretty bad. The shroud works as a duct for the radial fan, if you remove it will blow air in every direction instead of through the heatsink, so it will be pretty much useless. Also, the heatsink is pretty small, tunned for high pressure and an specific airflow orientation, so even if you duct the axial fans directly to the heatsink, cooling will not be good. If you do not duct it, most of the airflow will also go everywhere instead of through the heatsink.
But who knows... maybe its worth testing it.

My guess is that would be pretty bad. The shroud works as a duct for the radial fan, if you remove it will blow air in every direction instead of through the heatsink, so it will be pretty much useless. Also, the heatsink is pretty small, tunned for high pressure and an specific airflow orientation, so even if you duct the axial fans directly to the heatsink, cooling will not be good. If you do not duct it, most of the airflow will also go everywhere instead of through the heatsink.
But who knows... maybe its worth testing it.
Thats the interesting point. I thought about the EVGA RTX 2080 Blower, where you can clearly see the cooler part. The interesting would be the direct hot air transport out of the case without the noisy radial fan. But seems like nobody tried it before.

I came up with the question, because I finished my first Ncase M1 build. It's great, but the bottom fans get a bit loud when they reach >800 RPM. Think, there is some room for optimizations.
System Spec:
  • AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • Asus ROG Strix X470-I
  • 32GB TridentZ RGB
  • Samsung 960 Pro - 512GB
  • EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming
  • Corsair SF600 v1
  • Noctua C14S with 140mm fan
  • 2x Noctua NF-A12
ncasem1lyku9.jpg

Last edited:
Necere, I hope you can answer this question. I picked up a used laptop blu ray drive to put in my NCASE M1 V4. It didn't come with any mounting screws. Do you know what size screws (see photo with screw hole circled) I should use to mount this in the NCASE M1? And maybe where I can get these?

Thanks!

IMG_2187.jpg blu ray screw holes.png

Necere, I hope you can answer this question. I picked up a used laptop blu ray drive to put in my NCASE M1 V4. It didn't come with any mounting screws. Do you know what size screws (see photo with screw hole circled) I should use to mount this in the NCASE M1? And maybe where I can get these?

Thanks!

View attachment 154874 View attachment 154876
I'm sure you could get them from digikey, or a local hardware store (not big box, unless you want to cut the screws to length). Size, im not sure. Maybe M2, not too long.

I came up with the question, because I finished my first Ncase M1 build. It's great, but the bottom fans get a bit loud when they reach >800 RPM. Think, there is some room for optimizations.
System Spec:
  • AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • Asus ROG Strix X470-I
  • 32GB TridentZ RGB
  • Samsung 960 Pro - 512GB
  • EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming
  • Corsair SF600 v1
  • Noctua C14S with 140mm fan
  • 2x Noctua NF-A12
View attachment 154278

Remove the shroud. GPU fan + bottom fans is just a redundant addition of more fans, when you can get about same cooling temperatures without the GPU fans (by far the loudest part) present. Also, try the bottom Noctua fans as both outtake and intake to see which yields best result. For me, outtake was the best.

Thanks!

View attachment 154874 View attachment 154876
M2 screws, and you should've gotten a few with the case in the bag with the rest of the screws.

I hate to tell you this though - that drive isn't compatible with the bracket. Slim optical drives come in two sizes (generally): 9.5mm and 12.7mm thick, and the bracket only supports the 12.7mm variety, as stated on the M1 product page on SFFLab. It's no consolation, but I've completely redesigned the bracket for V6 to support both sizes going forward.

I'm sure you could get them from digikey, or a local hardware store (not big box, unless you want to cut the screws to length). Size, im not sure. Maybe M2, not too long.

M2 screws, and you should've gotten a few with the case in the bag with the rest of the screws.

I hate to tell you this though - that drive isn't compatible with the bracket. Slim optical drives come in two sizes (generally): 9.5mm and 12.7mm thick, and the bracket only supports the 12.7mm variety, as stated on the M1 product page on SFFLab. It's no consolation, but I've completely redesigned the bracket for V6 to support both sizes going forward.

Thanks for the replies. That's too bad about the 9.5mm size not working (although the holes seem to line up with the bracket). I tested it out with a couple of thin paper clips bent to stick into the holes and it seemed to be OK. However, the drive would only rip at 2.1x speed (verses my external ASUS drive that does so at 6.5x). I'd probably be better off putting a 4 Tb 2.5" (15mm thick) drive in the front (if it fits) to boost my storage to 10 Tb anyway.

Thanks for the replies. That's too bad about the 9.5mm size not working (although the holes seem to line up with the bracket). I tested it out with a couple of thin paper clips bent to stick into the holes and it seemed to be OK. However, the drive would only rip at 2.1x speed (verses my external ASUS drive that does so at 6.5x). I'd probably be better off putting a 4 Tb 2.5" (15mm thick) drive in the front (if it fits) to boost my storage to 10 Tb anyway.

It will fit, I had a 7mm SSD plus a 9.5mm HDD mounted in the front of mine.

hello, come back to M1 after a long time

- Aorus z390i (https://www.aorus.com/Z390-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10=)
- 9700k @ 5.00GhZ/1.35V+ Noctua NH-L12S (https://noctua.at/fr/nh-l12s)
- 2080 ti inno3d ichill black (Rad 240mm) @1.00V/2130MHz (http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=386)
- PSU Corsair SF750 (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...pply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020186-NA)

Very quiet, incredible when you see power dissipated
GPU <60°C nearly silent
CPU @ 5GHz <85°C (bench)
CPU Stock <70°C (bench)
CPU Stock <60°C (in heavy demanding games)

Direct exhaust of GPU hot air, everything stay cool inside
CPU hoit air push by slim 120 trough rad then sucked by GPU rad

bad pictures sorry :(

such a great case :)

k2HzDs3.jpg

2uLebTt.jpg

b88aUQ6.jpg

products_id_386_1.png

I'd probably be better off putting a 4 Tb 2.5" (15mm thick) drive in the front (if it fits) to boost my storage to 10 Tb anyway.
It should fit. I have two 2.5" SSDs stacked on the front of my M1, at a combined depth of 14mm, and they fit with a tiny bit of room to spare (but only about 1mm). Necere is the best person to ask for a definitive answer, though.

hello, come back to M1 after a long time

- Aorus z390i (https://www.aorus.com/Z390-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10=)
- 9700k @ 5.00GhZ/1.35V+ Noctua NH-L12S (https://noctua.at/fr/nh-l12s)
- 2080 ti inno3d ichill black (Rad 240mm) @1.00V/2130MHz (http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=386)
- PSU Corsair SF750 (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...pply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020186-NA)

Very quiet, incredible when you see power dissipated
GPU <60°C nearly silent
CPU @ 5GHz <85°C (bench)
CPU Stock <70°C (bench)
CPU Stock <60°C (in heavy demanding games)

Direct exhaust of GPU hot air, everything stay cool inside
CPU hoit air push by slim 120 trough rad then sucked by GPU rad

bad pictures sorry :(

such a great case :)
Do those fans on the case floor actually do anything, given that your GPU has a block and radiator? Are the case floor fans intakes or exhausts?

Do those fans on the case floor actually do anything, given that your GPU has a block and radiator? Are the case floor fans intakes or exhausts?
They are intakes.
Yes they help air circulation in the case, as they are wider than the GPU, I've got better temps when activated, you can feel the air flow even if they are close to the GPU. I do not make them spining very fast (max 1200), else they get noisy because of restriction.
But No they do not "directly" cool the GPU, they only help circulation from the bottom to the rad. This card has a kind of waterblock all over the PCB so direct air on it do nothing for sure.

They are intakes.
Yes they help air circulation in the case, as they are wider than the GPU, I've got better temps when activated, you can feel the air flow even if they are close to the GPU. I do not make them spining very fast (max 1200), else they get noisy because of restriction.
But No they do not "directly" cool the GPU, they only help circulation from the bottom to the rad. This card has a kind of waterblock all over the PCB so direct air on it do nothing for sure.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense - and it did occur to me just after I posted! It's definitely good to have some airflow into the case.

Quick question for you all, if I may. I've been reading this thread for years and have seen most configurations under the sun at some point, but at the same time I'm not quite sure what to do regarding a potential upgrade I have in mind, so any advice would be gratefully received :)

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and I have my eye on an EVGA 2070 XC which is a 2-fan card that's the standard 2-slot width and under 11 inches long. I'm currently running a 6700K with a U9S, with a second 92mm Noctua fan on the rear of the case (as an exhaust) and a 120mm Noctua on the side panel (as an intake). I'm contemplating adding one or maybe two 120mm fans to the case floor to aid with GPU cooling, but can't decide whether it's better to go for standard 25mm thick fans here or to go for slim 15mm fans instead. My reasoning for the slim fans is so that there's a bit of a gap for air circulation rather than the fans being super tight to the GPU. My current GPU is a 660Ti which is also two slots thick, but a blower, and I didn't find adding a 25mm thick fan to the case floor did much of anything for temperatures, but that might just be because it's a blower rather than an open cooler.

Any thoughts as to whether slim fans are a better option than standard thickness ones? Low noise is a big priority for me so I'm concerned about turbulence with either option. I'm also undecided as to whether the fans should be intakes or exhausts, or whether I should reverse the existing fans so that air is drawn in the back of the case and then exhausted out of the side. That's easy enough to play around with, but I'd rather not have to buy two sets of fans for the case floor if I make the wrong choice initially!

Cheers!

For sure, fans on the floor must be intake, never opposite to GPU fans of the 2070XC.
I would go for standard 25mm, no problem they are near the GPU, it will push air through the GPU and help GPU fans.
Slim fans only if your GPU is > 2 slots
Bigger fan = higher static pressure = more flow for lower speeds = lower noise, pretty sure

Back