NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Thanks, less is more sometimes. My goal was to have a simple setup, for easy maintenance and quick platform change if required.

I have now everything clean and fully hidden built into my external radiator setup (pump, reservoir, fan control, tempature sensors, power and so on). All with QDCs, power and USB connectors in seconds disassembled.

View attachment 109437 View attachment 109435 View attachment 109434 View attachment 109436

This setup is almost complete inaudible, even my ambient temparture is over 35°C my water loop keeps 40°C under full load and fans spinning around 420 rpm, I personally would never go back to air cooling, even it's easier, cheaper and a of course much more transportable, but I don't need to move my PC setup quite often.

Very nice setup, my biggest complaint when I had my M1 watercooled was having to pull everything apart anytime I wanted to change components. With your setup that won't be a problem.

I couldn't help it and tried the XSPC TX240 radiator with regular fans. I chose the Enermax RGB fans for visual reasons. Looks awesome. Unfortunately doesn't keep the GPU cool. I installed them pushing air through the radiator outside the case at the bottom. I cut the bottom of the case to reduce restrictions and installed taller case feet. If I hold my hand beneath the case, I can't feel any airflow. I don't know yet, if this is because they only have millimeters of breathing room, or because the fins of the radiator are too dense, or both. Will investigate further, but I doubt that this setup will ever reach a level of cooling and noise I am comfortable with.

IMG_1880.JPG

I couldn't help it and tried the XSPC TX240 radiator with regular fans. I chose the Enermax RGB fans for visual reasons. Looks awesome. Unfortunately doesn't keep the GPU cool. I installed them pushing air through the radiator outside the case at the bottom. I cut the bottom of the case to reduce restrictions and installed taller case feet. If I hold my hand beneath the case, I can't feel any airflow. I don't know yet, if this is because they only have millimeters of breathing room, or because the fins of the radiator are too dense, or both. Will investigate further, but I doubt that this setup will ever reach a level of cooling and noise I am comfortable with.

View attachment 110101
its because the fans have no room to suck air. try them under the rad pulling in.

Thanks for jumping in.
The windowed side panel has relatively large bezels. Moving the fans to the very bottom would mean they can't be seen from the outside, because the bezel of the side panel is as high as the fans. But I will try flipping the fans to pull in air from the bottom. Although the hot air will then be pushed directly on to the GPU block.

View attachment 110101
qdc model please?

Thanks! I have seen it in one place before and I was inspired by it and the Vertical GPU build I found here. Slow going, but it is coming along nicely!

What fans will you use underneath the 280 mm radiator? Dual round 140 mm fans with 120 mm fans mounting holes just barely fit, though you may need to open up the bottom of the case to improve the air flow.

What fans will you use underneath the 280 mm radiator? Dual round 140 mm fans with 120 mm fans mounting holes just barely fit, though you may need to open up the bottom of the case to improve the air flow.

From the looks of things the bottom of the case is already completely cut out!

Reactions: Jspr
like this
I managed to get the tentative go-ahead from my wife on purchasing a 2080 XC Ultra so I can strip it down and test the heat sink to see if it will work as an Accelero. Depending on in-store stock, I might be able to have pictures and results up in less than a week. Does anyone have any specific testing requests? Right now I'm thinking basic tests. Stock operation with no bottom fans and then remove the shroud and stock gpu fans in exchange for two NF-F12's as exhaust @ 50% speed (1k rpm). Thoughts?

Does anyone have any specific testing requests?
You’re a gentleman and a scholar. I’m personally most interested in noise relative to performance. Ideally you’d be able to find the lowest rpm that still achieves reasonable (under 80C) temps on both the stock cooler and noctuas as exhaust. But I get that’s not everyone’s focus and the 15ish minutes to hit temperature steady state adds up. If you’re able to note pwm % and rpm for both versions on any tests I’d sure appreciate it. My ultimate goal is to figure out how much quieter an M1 could get vs a Dan-wich style case. Subjective noise assessments would be neat, too.

I think bottom intake in the accelero-style has been sufficiently shown unworthy. What is your normal CPU cooler/side fan situation? Window or vented panel? If you’re able to note what speeds those fans run at that would also be awesome!

You’re a gentleman and a scholar. I’m personally most interested in noise relative to performance. Ideally you’d be able to find the lowest rpm that still achieves reasonable (under 80C) temps on both the stock cooler and noctuas as exhaust. But I get that’s not everyone’s focus and the 15ish minutes to hit temperature steady state adds up. If you’re able to note pwm % and rpm for both versions on any tests I’d sure appreciate it. My ultimate goal is to figure out how much quieter an M1 could get vs a Dan-wich style case. Subjective noise assessments would be neat, too.

I think bottom intake in the accelero-style has been sufficiently shown unworthy. What is your normal CPU cooler/side fan situation? Window or vented panel? If you’re able to note what speeds those fans run at that would also be awesome!

I normally run a C14s with one 140mm Noctua fan under the sink blowing towards the glass, one 92mm rear intake and a side panel window, 1080ti and accelero with fans exhausting. I set my exhaust fan speed to 35% and normally I run 65/65C when everything is overclocked. I'll be able to tell pretty quick if something changes.

How about two NF-A12x25 PWM fans instead...?

I'll see if I can grab a pair in time.

It should fit in theory. Taken from sfflab

Rear exhaust cards are recommended, especially for cards with a TDP greater than 150W.

Maximum card length:

• 317mm in slots 1 & 2
  • 279mm in slot 3
Maximum card height:

• For cards up to 317mm, or for cards in the third slot: 111mm
  • For cards up to 292mm in length in the first or second slot: 140mm
  • For all cards: 120mm at the PCIe power connectors
Graphics cards with PCBs which extend to the full height at the corners will not fit in the M1, due to interference with the chassis. See this post for more information.

For more detailed GPU size limitations, refer to this diagram.

I set my exhaust fan speed to 35% and normally I run 65/65C when everything is overclocked

I am impressed by your temperatures. I am roughly in the same boat with a 1080 Ti, Accelero III and two fans exhausting air, 92mm rear fan intake, only difference is: I have a Be Quiet CPU cooler. Well and most probably other fans. With GPU power target set to 120%, it stabilizes at 75°C running Unigine. Real game temps are a bit lower, but not much, if the game is demanding enough to use most of the GPU power to maintain 60 FPS.

Looking forward to your stripped 2080 (non Ti) test, because I also want to replace my GPU sooner or later and had the same cooling solution in mind.

IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1887.JPG

From the looks of things the bottom of the case is already completely cut out!

Oh, gee, so it is! That's what happens when you get old and browse on a phone! Wow, that's completely cut out.

Yeah, I chopped out most of the bottom... waiting on some new files to smooth the edges and then it is done.

I have 2 Noctua NF-A14 PPC IP67 PWM fans, for the bottom of the case. They are glorious. Blow tons of air at 2krpms, are completely silent below 1k. I plan on running them nice and quietly almost all the time and then letting the speed ramp up. This is exactly why i went through the trouble of cutting the bottom out, it just seemed like so much wasted potential and so much blocked flow.

I have no idea why the floor wouldnt be one of the things they worked on through 5 revisions.

enimWO5.jpg

I have no idea why the floor wouldnt be one of the things they worked on through 5 revisions.

Because the chassis was designed for a side mounted radiator or AIO...

Because of the need for a certain amount of structural rigidity...

Because of the multi attachment points for things like fans & drives that are incorporated into the floor design...

An unusual question: (and rambling)

(lets assume everything I suggest would fit properly)

If I mount a GPU AIO on the right bottom of the case, can I expect under 80C thermals if I exhaust out the bottom of the case instead of using it as an intake. (The card tops at 50C under load)

The graphics card would be a Radeon Pro Duo and would be generating 300+ watts of heat that I'd rather not exhaust into my case and raise the passive temperatures of my components.

The Pro Duo would be vertically mounted most likely. The only intakes would be a top slim 120mm fan with a top 80-92mm fan.

My thought being I can control the case temperatures if I am able to keep the GPU AIO exhaust from entering the case.

I've been using this build for over a year now. Running an 1800X Oc @ 4ghz with a 1080ti. Its been fantastic and very solid. Pretty much used it every day for heavy 3D work. Reading and catching up on these posts has been fun and I feel compelled to build another one with newer components.
Interesting to see the C14s doing well with a 140 mm fan underneath. I'll likely go with this. Currently running with a C14 and 120 mm intake.
89997_ncase_complete.jpg

Soo. What do you guys think of the new ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I gaming.. Or simply put.. Asus z390 itx board :p.. Does the intergrated I/O VRM cooler kill it for top performance air coolers like the C14 and Dark Rock TF ? I would rather have the Asus board, but I could be forced to go with the ASRock Z390 gaming ITX board instead because of this. I see a potential compability problem. Am I the only one?..

TwZnc9U0uV4BkcTf_setting_000_1_90_end_1000.jpg

Soo. What do you guys think of the new ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I gaming.. Or simply put.. Asus z390 itx board :p.. Does the intergrated I/O VRM cooler kill it for top performance air coolers like the C14 and Dark Rock TF ? I would rather have the Asus board, but I could be forced to go with the ASRock Z390 gaming ITX board instead because of this. I see a potential compability problem. Am I the only one?..

View attachment 111268

I think there are going to be problems with any top down cooler with the Asus board, be fine with AIO or tower coolers. If you really want to use the Dark Rock TF get the Gigabyte board, the z370 was the only one fully compatible with that cooler. The C14 should be fine with Asrock, MSI or Gigabyte.

Reactions: Qrash
like this

View attachment 111268

I am starting to wonder about these large VRM heatsink and I/O covers. How is the VRM heatsink supposed to get good airflow when it's covered up, in some instances, almost completely? I'd rather have good airflow in this area than an RGB logo. Some people even prefer to not use an I/O plate to allow air to exhaust out of the case from this area.

I will be examining my new Threadripper motherboard to see if the cover on the VRM heatsinks can be easily removed (no Dremel action yet).

Quick update - ordered two NF-A12x25's that should be here Monday. There are five 2080 XC Ultra's in stock near me so hopefully those stay available until this evening/tomorrow morning so I can grab one for testing. I'm still hoping to have all of the testing done and posted by next Saturday.

Soo. What do you guys think of the new ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I gaming..

I think it looks dope af. I don't think top downs will have a problem with the shield. My mentality is, if I can clear the daughterboards on the x299 board with a top down then the shield shouldn't be in the way.

Reactions: Boil
like this
Quick update - ordered two NF-A12x25's that should be here Monday. There are five 2080 XC Ultra's in stock near me so hopefully those stay available until this evening/tomorrow morning so I can grab one for testing. I'm still hoping to have all of the testing done and posted by next Saturday.

I think it looks dope af. I don't think top downs will have a problem with the shield. My mentality is, if I can clear the daughterboards on the x299 board with a top down then the shield shouldn't be in the way.

The problem here is not the height.. The problem is the pipes coming from the core and maybe cannot fit because of the VRM shield there..

MDUHFSq.png

But I checked Noctuas webpage and they already list it as compatible.. But lets see when they get out into the wild.. https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/Asus_ROG_STRIX_Z390-I_GAMING

Well rip my dreams. Apparently putting up a fence and removing the hot tub is more important to my wife than me buying an XC Ultra to test in the M1. Sorry guys. I really wanted to test it. At least I got some NF-A12x25's coming?

Well rip my dreams. Apparently putting up a fence and removing the hot tub is more important to my wife than me buying an XC Ultra to test in the M1. Sorry guys. I really wanted to test it. At least I got some NF-A12x25's coming?
Noooooo

That's my bad. I shouldn't have said anything until I had the GPU in hand. Really sorry guys.
No problem, I have a feeling it will only work with 15mm fans based on a shroud removal of the dual asus 2080 ti I saw somewhere.'

Some good info here too:

Last edited:
Reactions: Epos7
like this
No problem, I have a feeling it will only work with 15mm fans based on a shroud removal of the dual asus 2080 ti I saw somewhere.'

Some good info here too:

Yeah I saw that. I really feel like with the fans and shroud removed it can fit with full 25's, hence why I wanted to test in the first place. Friggen ree. I'm so disappointed.

Edit: removed unrelated misquote.
Yeah I saw that. I really feel like with the fans and shroud removed it can fit with full 25's, hence why I wanted to test in the first place. Friggen ree. I'm so disappointed.
If that's 15mm, then 25 should easily fit.

Last edited:
I have an EVGA RTX 2080 XC on the way. I'm currently set up with one 120mm fan on the bottom of my case and temps are good, but I only have a GTX 960. Do you think two 120mm fans on the bottom is going to be necessary with the 2080?

I have an EVGA RTX 2080 XC on the way. I'm currently set up with one 120mm fan on the bottom of my case and temps are good, but I only have a GTX 960. Do you think two 120mm fans on the bottom is going to be necessary with the 2080?

Probably not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt it either if you set them to intake. It'll probably be the same as all the other two slot pascal cards.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
...putting up a fence and removing the hot tub is more important to my wife than me buying an XC Ultra...

Just tell her you are going to pick up the fencing; and instead of fencing, come back with the GPU & a few bottles of nice wine...?

Back