NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

From their FAQ I saw this:

"Please note that the tracking number format and website will vary based on the carrier used to ship your order - SFFLAB works with a number of carriers in order to optimize for cost and speed. Furthermore, some carriers are delayed in sending SFFLAB tracking numbers for packages; SFFLAB always automatically sends tracking information to customers the moment we receive that data from carriers, however!"

It's possible it has shipped already but the update to SFFLAB hasn't happened yet. I just got a little worried since everything else I've ever ordered from them got updated on the day in which the website had noted and this is the only exception. I'm hoping it's just the carrier being slow to update SFFLAB.

Last piece of the puzzle for me, as my graphics card just got delivered minutes ago and this case looks like a week away. Hoping it's shipped as well.

Thanks! Temps are great, IMO. CPU intake, bottom exhaust. I actually came back to the M1. I was in the Evolv Shift non-x for awhile, and temps are better here than in the Shift with air cooling, but slightly worse than the Shift with 2x 120mm AIOs.

Gaming temps:
CPU 50-55
GPU 65-70

Prime95 + Heaven temps (not thoroughly tested, just a 10 minute run)
CPU 70-75
GPU 60-65

Those are definitely livable temps, I was afraid of super hot components with the window side panel.

EVGA showed off a new tiny 1000W PSU at Computex. It's ATX, but only 125mm in length, thanks to a new transformer. This means you can install it in the M1 and still use a full-length graphics card. If it stays passive up to 350W or so, you could have a powerful build with a mostly fanless PSU. Although I have no idea what the actual fan curve will be, it's small and the fan is only 120mm, so maybe it'll be aggressive.

2018-06-05%2009.09.52_678x452.jpg

Source: AnandTech

Funny how a lot of brands are now re-shaping blades/fans to be very similar to the old Gentle Typhoon series.. I still have a few of these fans. Best I've ever owned though I believe the bearings on mine need some oil or something. XD.

You can cut those anti vibration mounts to not have those nubs sticking out, both from the top and the bottom.

Funny how a lot of brands are now re-shaping blades/fans to be very similar to the old Gentle Typhoon series.. I still have a few of these fans. Best I've ever owned though I believe the bearings on mine need some oil or something. XD.

Nothing beats the old Gentle Typhoon, best fans ever made.

These new Noctuas actually feel like the GT's - RPM, sound quality, etc., all of it. And I mean that in the best way possible.

With over 4 year development and a nearly true copy of the Gentle Typhoon it better be the same as that :)

There was an interesting write up about the differences in blade profile compared to the old GT's. Actually the performance is incredibly close too... Whoever engineered the GT did a great job!

I'm still rocking GTs, the only thing I don't like about them is the non-sleeved loose wires, and they can't go below 900 RPM, but otherwise they are fantastic. When Noctua unveiled the new 120mm fan a couple of years ago, my immediate thought was they copied the GT, and I was glad they did. They're also working on a 140mm version and a 140mm slim version. I hope they update their 92mm fans too.

Regarding PSUs, I don't understand why they're not all digital now. The ones EVGA showed off, again, lack a USB connection. We've had the technology for over a decade now, why isn't every PSU over $80 digital or at the very least have the option to control the fan...

Would be nice with a 92mm fan like the old Gentle Typhoon 92mm :) i did a comparison of the old Gentle Typhoon 922m vs the Noctua A9 and the GT shines in both performance and noise...

wBnMZVu.jpg

small test but you can see the difference.

Attachments

• 2018-03-02 13.15.49.jpg
    2018-03-02 13.15.49.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 0
From their FAQ I saw this:

"Please note that the tracking number format and website will vary based on the carrier used to ship your order - SFFLAB works with a number of carriers in order to optimize for cost and speed. Furthermore, some carriers are delayed in sending SFFLAB tracking numbers for packages; SFFLAB always automatically sends tracking information to customers the moment we receive that data from carriers, however!"

It's possible it has shipped already but the update to SFFLAB hasn't happened yet. I just got a little worried since everything else I've ever ordered from them got updated on the day in which the website had noted and this is the only exception. I'm hoping it's just the carrier being slow to update SFFLAB.

Any update on your end?

Would be nice with a 92mm fan like the old Gentle Typhoon 92mm :) i did a comparison of the old Gentle Typhoon 922m vs the Noctua A9 and the GT shines in both performance and noise...

small test but you can see the difference.

A unrestricted airflow test doesn't implicit automatically a greater cooling performance for a heatsink, static air pressure and other things have an influence depending on fan speed and heatsink FPI too. How much rpm does your Gentle Typhoon fan run and how much does the Noctua A9 rpm in this test setup?

Any update on your end?

I just got an email saying my case is in LA. So pretty much like what they said in their FAQ, shipping carriers might not report very promptly and that seems to be the case here. I'm showing the case itself was sent out on the 7th. LA to TX should take around four business days, so the 6-8 business days I paid for is right in line for 6. Pretty impressive!

I just got an email saying my case is in LA. So pretty much like what they said in their FAQ, shipping carriers might not report very promptly and that seems to be the case here. I'm showing the case itself was sent out on the 7th. LA to TX should take around four business days, so the 6-8 business days I paid for is right in line for 6. Pretty impressive!

Same for me, just got an email that it’s in NYC. I live in the area so here’s to hoping for delivery in the next 2 days :D

Reactions: M1AF
like this
My case arrived. Yay. My computer is still dead. Boo. I'm thinking it's a PSU issue so I have an SF600 on the way. Too bad it's not the platinum version reeee!

My case arrived. Yay. My computer is still dead. Boo. I'm thinking it's a PSU issue so I have an SF600 on the way. Too bad it's not the platinum version reeee!

Lucky :(, my USPS tracking has been stuck on ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), Processed Through Facility since 1:50 AM on June 10th. Wonder if customs is holding it or something.

Lucky :(, my USPS tracking has been stuck on ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), Processed Through Facility since 1:50 AM on June 10th. Wonder if customs is holding it or something.

Bummer! I'm crossing my fingers that you get it tomorrow!

I've just picked up completing my build again with all of my (now) outdated components, but I have a few questions.

1. What do people use to power two SSD's that are mounted on the front of the case (2 ssd's on top of each other).

The second question is regarding controlling all the fans in my case. I've got an Asus Z107i Pro Gaming motherboard with 3 (PWM) fan headers, Noctua NHC12P with a Thermalright TY 141, a single Noiseblocker 92mm as exhaust for the CPU, a single 120mm Noiseblocker as exhaust for the GPU/CPU on the sidepanel (next to the CPU) and two Bequiet Silent Wings 3 120 mm on the bottom as intake for the GPU.

2. How would you guys divide all fans over three fan headers? I was thinking using a single header for the CPU Cooler fan, 92 mm and 120 mm exhaust fans on a single header and the two 120 mm intakes on a single header.

DrunkenMercenary
1. Not sure what you mean here: I have two SSDs inside the front panel (in the spot where the optical drive would live) and I had no trouble getting two SATA power connectors plugged in. I'm using a Silverstone PSU, so it may be different with a Corsair if that's what you're using.

2. I have the same board as you. I'd probably run the exhaust and the CPU fan from the CPU header, the side panel fan from the second header and the bottom fans from the final header, but that's just personal preference. To me it makes sense to group then that way both for cabling and for fan control software purposes.

Got the case a few hours ago, finally put it together! Finally done :D

Reactions: M1AF
like this
DrunkenMercenary
1. Not sure what you mean here: I have two SSDs inside the front panel (in the spot where the optical drive would live) and I had no trouble getting two SATA power connectors plugged in. I'm using a Silverstone PSU, so it may be different with a Corsair if that's what you're using.

2. I have the same board as you. I'd probably run the exhaust and the CPU fan from the CPU header, the side panel fan from the second header and the bottom fans from the final header, but that's just personal preference. To me it makes sense to group then that way both for cabling and for fan control software purposes.

Apologies, I wasn't clear at all. I've got a corsair SF450 PSU that has a really long power cable for sata stuff, I think I can attach 4 drives or something. However, the way that each power connector is connected to each other makes it impossible/hard to connect both SSD's, because the cables enter and leave the connector from the sides, not the bottom.

The cable that I have: https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/340348/4/corsair-sf600.jpg
What I was thinking about purchasing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Power-Cable-S-ATA/dp/B00E7OPRPS/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1528925256&sr=1-8&keywords=be+quiet!+S-ATA

That particular cable is for Be Quiet PSU's which apparently has a flat 5 pin connector? It's perfectly fine to replace the PSU connector of that cable with the ones that I've got from corsair right?

Those group make sense. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Who here has put a 8700k CPU or plans to into their M1? I want to start following their posts. I have an extra case sitting here and it needs a project.

Who here has put a 8700k CPU or plans to into their M1? I want to start following their posts. I have an extra case sitting here and it needs a project.
See my signature... many add it to their signature as well.

Apologies, I wasn't clear at all. I've got a corsair SF450 PSU that has a really long power cable for sata stuff, I think I can attach 4 drives or something. However, the way that each power connector is connected to each other makes it impossible/hard to connect both SSD's, because the cables enter and leave the connector from the sides, not the bottom.

The cable that I have: https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/340348/4/corsair-sf600.jpg
What I was thinking about purchasing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Power-Cable-S-ATA/dp/B00E7OPRPS/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1528925256&sr=1-8&keywords=be+quiet!+S-ATA

That particular cable is for Be Quiet PSU's which apparently has a flat 5 pin connector? It's perfectly fine to replace the PSU connector of that cable with the ones that I've got from corsair right?

Those group make sense. Thanks for your reply!

I used this NZXT cable to connect my 2 SSDs, works quite well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back