NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Today i got some new parts for my build , I wanted to replace the Noctua NH-U9S with the aio from fractal Design the Celsius s24 and the psu

First the easy thing my SilverStone sx600g wasn’t bad psu at all the fan had never spin up ..... or so i thought the thing is during installation I must had bend the fan grid (wasn’t noticeable) and it blocked the fan ..... for a year or so , after bending back the grid it seems to work fine but to be save I exenched it for a Corsair sf 600 .... and I think it’s better , bigger fan , really really quit when it starts to spin and it turns off when not needed

For the cpu cooler the Noctua is really great but I wanted to try a aio the Celsius s24 BUT I couldn’t get it to fit ( ncase m1 v3) not without putting a lot of stress on it , someone a few pages earlier had it installed but for me it was to tight so i did put the NH-U9S back on and it will stay on , with this I have a lot more space within my case

Mannymal , the NH-U9S is really really good , my setup runs it with 2 fans push/pull from the right to the left , in the bottom of the case I got 2 x 120 mm fans and an the side parallel to the psu is also a 120 fan ( all air in )

Used auto tune within the bios for the fans and it got me really good temps

Cpu fans idle 400rpm , 33 degrees Celsius
Cpu fans load games around 1000rpm 50-60 degrees Celsius

Only at cpu benchmarks like cinebench where all cores (I7 8700k) run at 4700mhz and 100% load on all cores it goes up to 75-80 degree the cpu fans spins with 1800-2000rpms and that is really loud ,

Stress Test the cpu with Aida64 the cpu ramps up to 4300mhz on all cores ( that should be the normal clock for all cores) the cpu fans run at around 1500rpm and the temps are around 70-75 degree Celsius

Hi everyone!

I have an NCASE M1 version 1 (first edition). I bought it long ago anticipating an upgrade, but it's been sitting in my apartment for over four years because it turns out the 2600K was a legendary CPU. All good things must come to an end, however, and the time has come to upgrade.

My question is: how has the M1 v1 aged? I see the changelog for v2 through v5, but I don't know how serious any of those differences are. I'm thinking about selling it on eBay and getting a "more updated case" if it turns out to be basically inferior/obsolete.

I guess a related question is: are these collectible? Is there a market for first edition NCASE M1 that makes them more valuable than one would naively assume? eBay data is basically non-existant, but if I can sell this case for a profit and have an extra few bucks to spend on components, I'd like to do so.

Here's my super quiet NCase
i5-8400
960 Pro
Palit 1050 Ti Kalmx
Oh, that looks really nice. I didn't realise you could get a 100% passive 1050ti! How are your GPU temperatures and clocks with that setup, and do you find the CPU getting hot with the GPU heat being blown into the case? (Appreciate that it's only a 75W GPU)

I really might have to get one of these bad boys - I'd prefer something a bit faster but refuse to pay silly money for a 1060 or better, and I could cope fine with a 1050ti, but above all I want silence!

Again, that's a really nice build.

Wahaha, any chance we will ever get the option to purchase the front I/O bracket? I will more than likely have to fabricate one soon, as I want to delete all the USB and Audio jacks and just have the power switch. I accidentally scratched my stock one when I did the power switch mod.

We don’t have any atm.

Have you considered 3D printing a black ABS I/O?

I was planning to upload the Front I/O CAD to SmallFormFactor.net anyways.

We don’t have any atm.

Have you considered 3D printing a black ABS I/O?

I was planning to upload the Front I/O CAD to SmallFormFactor.net anyways.

I'm sure there are many people, myself included, that would be extremely greatful if you uploaded the i/o cad to sff.net!

I didn't consider going with abs. Home Depot sheet metal is only 8 bucks for a 8x12 sheet.

Hi everyone!

I have an NCASE M1 version 1 (first edition). I bought it long ago anticipating an upgrade, but it's been sitting in my apartment for over four years because it turns out the 2600K was a legendary CPU. All good things must come to an end, however, and the time has come to upgrade.

My question is: how has the M1 v1 aged? I see the changelog for v2 through v5, but I don't know how serious any of those differences are. I'm thinking about selling it on eBay and getting a "more updated case" if it turns out to be basically inferior/obsolete.

I guess a related question is: are these collectible? Is there a market for first edition NCASE M1 that makes them more valuable than one would naively assume? eBay data is basically non-existant, but if I can sell this case for a profit and have an extra few bucks to spend on components, I'd like to do so.
No. Sure there are people that collect hardware, and among those are people who collect cases, but even among those people the criteria for each collection is going to vary wildly and sometimes in ways that can't be easily quantified. You'd have to find not only someone willing to buy the M1 V1 for the sake of having a first-gen, that doesn't already have one, that's willing to pay more than what the upgraded version is worth, that actually has that money to spend, within the time limit of an ebay listing. It's just not happening.

While waiting for my case I've been working on planning/purchasing by build. Looking to put together a small clean system. Not a gamer anymore but who knows? Plan to retire in a couple of years and I might try my hand at it again. Anyway, I've been kind of an AMD guy for awhile now and when I saw the ridiculous prices that video cards are at right now I thought the the Ryzen 5 2400G looked like a good place to start. Although I haven't seen any builds with the 2400G with the M1 that I can find. The Corsair SFX PSUs seem like a no brainer so I picked up the SF450. Picked up both the processor and the psu from Newegg. Plan to stick with air cooling because that's what I know. Not really interested in liquid cooling at this point. I'm not super hung up on fan noise - with no video card to start with I don't imagine the noise would be bad anyway.

Here's my plan so far:

NCASE M1
Ryzen 5 2400G
Corsair SF450 with custom cables (no I won't be doing this myself - I'll go with Cable Mod or somebody like that)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB from current system
Western Digital Red NAS 6TB from current sytem (selling off the other 10 TB worth of drives from that system)

Researching the rest. Looking at motherboards now. Sure not much out there for Ryzen ITX boards. The ASRock boards don't look too bad feature set wise but I hate the black and red scheme. MSI is a possibility but can't find any of their ITX boards in stock anywhere. The ASUS ROG is not what I'm looking for either although it isn't easy to find anyway. I have had really good luck with Gigabyte boards but again care for the red and black scheme I see there either. I guess I can wait for the new X470/B450 boards but who knows when they are coming out and when the ITX iterations will be availible. I really need to nail the motherboard down before looking at ram, coolers, etc. Would really like to keep the color scheme in the black/silver/gray range. Not opposed to blue. I know I shouldn't be all that hung up on colors but as I said I want I really clean system that looks nice because thats what I want......

Any thoughts/suggestions? Also, how long before I see the M1 at my door? I got a notice Friday that the "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment." Not in a huge hurry but I would kind of like having an idea how long it typically takes once I get this notice. I live in Iowa if that factors into the delivery time.

While waiting for my case I've been working on planning/purchasing by build. Looking to put together a small clean system. Not a gamer anymore but who knows? Plan to retire in a couple of years and I might try my hand at it again. Anyway, I've been kind of an AMD guy for awhile now and when I saw the ridiculous prices that video cards are at right now I thought the the Ryzen 5 2400G looked like a good place to start. Although I haven't seen any builds with the 2400G with the M1 that I can find. The Corsair SFX PSUs seem like a no brainer so I picked up the SF450. Picked up both the processor and the psu from Newegg. Plan to stick with air cooling because that's what I know. Not really interested in liquid cooling at this point. I'm not super hung up on fan noise - with no video card to start with I don't imagine the noise would be bad anyway.

Here's my plan so far:

NCASE M1
Ryzen 5 2400G
Corsair SF450 with custom cables (no I won't be doing this myself - I'll go with Cable Mod or somebody like that)
Western Digital Red NAS 6TB from current sytem (selling off the other 10 TB worth of drives from that system)

Researching the rest. Looking at motherboards now. Sure not much out there for Ryzen ITX boards. The ASRock boards don't look too bad feature set wise but I hate the black and red scheme. MSI is a possibility but can't find any of their ITX boards in stock anywhere. The ASUS ROG is not what I'm looking for either although it isn't easy to find anyway. I have had really good luck with Gigabyte boards but again care for the red and black scheme I see there either. I guess I can wait for the new X470/B450 boards but who knows when they are coming out and when the ITX iterations will be availible. I really need to nail the motherboard down before looking at ram, coolers, etc. Would really like to keep the color scheme in the black/silver/gray range. Not opposed to blue. I know I shouldn't be all that hung up on colors but as I said I want I really clean system that looks nice because thats what I want......

Any thoughts/suggestions? Also, how long before I see the M1 at my door? I got a notice Friday that the "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment." Not in a huge hurry but I would kind of like having an idea how long it typically takes once I get this notice. I live in Iowa if that factors into the delivery time.

I would wait, Gigabyte went away from the Red/Black on their Z370 itx board so there is a chance they will do the same with the 400 series. Unless Asus changes their design they are not compatible with the Raven Ridge APUs, they have no video outputs.

Has anyone noticed any wear on the power button? It looks like some of the edges on mine is wearing off so the led light shows through the wear.

My NCase still awaiting customs clearance since March 26th :(

Driving me nuts. I have a room full of new toys to fit inside!

My NCase still awaiting customs clearance since March 26th :(

Driving me nuts. I have a room full of new toys to fit inside!
How long ago did you order? I ordered on 3/22 and got a tracking number last Friday. Just wondering how long orders are typically taking.

How long ago did you order? I ordered on 3/22 and got a tracking number last Friday. Just wondering how long orders are typically taking.

It all depends on where you live, when I ordered mine it took very long since it did state when the item was available for shipping.

Two questions:

1.) What's the best cooling solution to add some sort of airflow to the motherboard VRM's? I'm running my current build with a Corsair H110i but my Gigabyte's VRM's were overheating, prompting me to start a new build. This time I might ditch the 110i if air cooling combined with case fans will offer better airflow. I'd still like enough CPU cooling to try an overclock an 8700k to 5Ghz.

2.) Custom cables: has anyone done a build with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I and the Corsair SFF PSU's? I'm looking at custom cable lengths because I hate how messy it is inside my case right now with my Gigabyte board, and since I'm re-doing my build might as well organize the cable management in there with shorter cables.

I will probably stay away from liquid cooling, I had a custom hard tubing water cooling in my N case before, and two high quality fans in the case, mainly for case cooling and radiator, but the chipset and VRM heats up too much above 58c, so unless you add more fans inside, the case will be packed and there will be no air circulation. I have spent a lot of $$$ on the water cooling, but have now revert back to the stock fan, and will try to find a better cpu fan. so far the stock cpu fan is working ok. here is my system setup.

N Case
Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
Amd Ryzen 1600
Samsung 950 pro 512GB M.2 SSD
16GB Gskill trident Z RGB AMD Version
Silverstone SFX 700PLT power supply
2 X EK 0 DB Fan
2 X 4TB enterprise capacity HDD internal
16TB My Book Raid 1 external enclosure.

Depends on where you are in the world, I got mine to US west coast 10 days after it was shipped.

Has anyone noticed any wear on the power button? It looks like some of the edges on mine is wearing off so the led light shows through the wear.

No, not on the button, but the case does scratches very easily, especially the main case frame.

Last edited:
No. Sure there are people that collect hardware, and among those are people who collect cases, but even among those people the criteria for each collection is going to vary wildly and sometimes in ways that can't be easily quantified. You'd have to find not only someone willing to buy the M1 V1 for the sake of having a first-gen, that doesn't already have one, that's willing to pay more than what the upgraded version is worth, that actually has that money to spend, within the time limit of an ebay listing. It's just not happening.
The newest one is the V5, it adds more user friendly customizable internal, include USB, so if you are not putting much into the N case, you can stick to you current case.

I am guessing you must shut down your computer fairly often. Mine is running 24/7 and the only time I shut down is for hardware changes and my power button has no wear.

I wonder which of the following 4 CPU cooling setups would perform best with the window panel:

1) Noctua U9S with intake from the rear and bottom
2) Noctua U9S with intake from the bottom and exhaust from the rear
3) Noctua C14S with fan mounted under heatsink, with intake from the rear and bottom.
4) Noctua C14S with fan mounted under heatsink, with intake from the bottom and exhaust from the rear.

The C14S is clearly much larger, but the U9S will have much more efficient airflow. Also, with the U9S you can show off your motherboard and retain access to most of it, whereas with the C14S all you'll see is a giant heatsink which kind of defeats the purpose of a window panel (although some might think it's a cool look).

Note that with the C14S you will have to use the ATX bracket to mount your SFX (or ATX) power supply for the 140mm fan to fit under the heatsink. But it's not like you can use that space with a window panel anyway.

I also thought the Asetek 545LC could be an option, but I strongly suspect it would perform worse than the U9S and it also doesn't look great, so I don't think anyone should get it for the M1.

I'd love to see these scenarios tested to determine the best way to cool your CPU in a windowed M1 short of a custom loop, though I realize that may be asking a lot.

Personally, I'm set on the U9S. I'm tired of my 120mm AIO anyway, and also it'll be liberating not to have to deal with the side bracket anytime I want to access my components. And in this scenario a window panel would almost be better because it would help channel air from the bottom to the the top. I even got a solid black aluminum third slot PCIe cover to help with that.

Last edited:
Ordered 16 March.
Confirmed 17 March by SFFLAB
Shipped 22 March and tracking number provided.
Arrived UK and now awaiting Customs clearance since 26 March.

It's travelled from the opposite side of the planet in under 4 days and could now be held up for many days more because of bureaucracy less than 100 miles from me. Not the fault of the supplier, obviously, but it's still driving me nuts!

I wonder which of the following 4 CPU cooling setups would perform best with the window panel:

1) Noctua U9S with intake from the rear and bottom
2) Noctua U9S with intake from the bottom and exhaust from the rear
3) Noctua C14S with fan mounted under heatsink, with intake from the rear and bottom.
4) Noctua C14S with fan mounted under heatsink, with intake from the bottom and exhaust from the rear.

The C14S is clearly much larger, but the U9S will have much more efficient airflow. Also, with the U9S you can show off your motherboard and retain access to most of it, whereas with the C14S all you'll see is a giant heatsink which kind of defeats the purpose of a window panel (although some might think it's a cool look).

Note that with the C14S you will have to use the ATX bracket to mount your SFX (or ATX) power supply for the 140mm fan to fit under the heatsink. But it's not like you can use that space with a window panel anyway.

I also thought the Asetek 545LC could be an option, but I strongly suspect it would perform worse than the U9S and it also doesn't look great, so I don't think anyone should get it for the M1.

I'd love to see these scenarios tested to determine the best way to cool your CPU in a windowed M1 short of a custom loop, though I realize that may be asking a lot.

Personally, I'm set on the U9S. I'm tired of my 120mm AIO anyway, and also it'll be liberating not to have to deal with the side bracket anytime I want to access my components. And in this scenario a window panel would almost be better because it would help channel air from the bottom to the the top. I even got a solid black aluminum third slot PCIe cover to help with that.

Some here may think that I'm losing my mind, but I've also have been wondering about this since ordering a window panel. Clearly (get it?) it means replacing my NH-C14 (not the S version) with something else. One cooler that I think will look great in a window build is the Alpenföhn Atlas. There's even an AM4 bracket kit available for it, in case I decide to go the AMD route from my Intel 4790K.

When will the window panels start shipping?

I am guessing you must shut down your computer fairly often. Mine is running 24/7 and the only time I shut down is for hardware changes and my power button has no wear.
I pretty much turn on/off 2-3 times a day and i've had this case for 1-3 years. This is actually the first wear item i've noticed on the case. Not bad at all lol

I pretty much turn on/off 2-3 times a day and i've had this case for 1-3 years. This is actually the first wear item i've noticed on the case. Not bad at all lol

That's amazing, I press my power button maybe once every 6 months, either for a hardware change or thorough cleaning. In fact I'd love to see power buttons start to disappear from ultra SFF cases and more motherboard manufacturers implement rear I/O power buttons. Why don't you just put your system to sleep? Your PC consumes less then 5W in sleep mode and then you wake it up with the mouse or keyboard and you're instantly back where you left off, no need to boot up.

I switch my computer off at night or whenever I'm going to be away from it for more than a couple of hours. It takes 10 seconds to boot so it's not like you're waiting forever to power up.

My M1 has been switched on using the power button many hundreds of times and there's zero sign of wear so far.

Here's my plan so far:

NCASE M1
Ryzen 5 2400G

ASROCK-X470-Fatal1ty-Gaming-ITXac-2-768x576.jpg

The Asrock X470 Fatal1ty has leaked so shouldn't be long before release, and no red. :D

H310M-HDV(L1).png

Well this is interesting for anyone that always wanted a Micro ATX board in their Ncase, new Asrock H310 is only 7.5 X 7.4. Only problem I see with it and the M1 is the right angle SATA ports that will be next to the PSU, but I think they will actually be below the PSU itself.

So to all the people that always wanted an extra PCI slot, here you go.

I went ahead and ordered the x299e and 32gb of so dimm Kingston Impact 2400, as well as the Silverstone 800w titanium psu.

My thought is, and hopefully I'm not way off base here, I'll be able to mount the PSU with the ATX bracket, remove the right daughterboard that houses the usb3, usb2 and sata connectors, and then I'll be able to mount my C-14 with two 140mm fans on it.

The logic being, 7900x gets hot. VRM's get hot. With a delid, if I push/pull 2x 140mm fans then maybe I can get an overclock.

Any major flaws with my thought process that yall can think of?

You w
I went ahead and ordered the x299e and 32gb of so dimm Kingston Impact 2400, as well as the Silverstone 800w titanium psu.

My thought is, and hopefully I'm not way off base here, I'll be able to mount the PSU with the ATX bracket, remove the right daughterboard that houses the usb3, usb2 and sata connectors, and then I'll be able to mount my C-14 with two 140mm fans on it.

The logic being, 7900x gets hot. VRM's get hot. With a delid, if I push/pull 2x 140mm fans then maybe I can get an overclock.

Any major flaws with my thought process that yall can think of?

You will need to order a Socket 2066 adapter from Noctua. The website for the NM I2011 Mounting Kit includes a link to the form you need to complete. This kit also supports the 2066 socket.

Depends on where you are in the world, I got mine to US west coast 10 days after it was shipped.
I'm in Iowa so hopefully not too different from your experience.

Ordered 16 March.
Confirmed 17 March by SFFLAB
Shipped 22 March and tracking number provided.
Arrived UK and now awaiting Customs clearance since 26 March.

It's travelled from the opposite side of the planet in under 4 days and could now be held up for many days more because of bureaucracy less than 100 miles from me. Not the fault of the supplier, obviously, but it's still driving me nuts!
That sucks......it would drive nuts too!

View attachment 64338

The Asrock X470 Fatal1ty has leaked so shouldn't be long before release, and no red. :D
I was excited to see the news too. I just wonder what is actually different. Obviously there is the bigger vrm heataink and the color change. It is still sad to see no way to get a heatsink on the 2 SOC vrms on the top.

Otherwise I can't really see a layout change from their b350 boards. Something I hope could be improved greatly is better bios options. Their b350 board lacked options such as LLC, bclk adjustment, and in general a fair bit of voltage droop that makes stable OCs more of a pain.

Also, I hope they might include a 5 gigabit nic, true 3.1 gen 2 usb C, a clear cmos button, and the as mentioned HDMI 2.0.

Tracking just updated with this message:

"2018-04-04 00:43 ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS), Processed Through Facility, Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) at 12:43 am on April 4, 2018."

In the USA!! Am I right in assuming there will be an updated tracking number once the USPS gets it?

"2018-04-04 00:43 ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS), Processed Through Facility, Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) at 12:43 am on April 4, 2018."

In the USA!! Am I right in assuming there will be an updated tracking number once the USPS gets it?

I never got updated tracking info after it hit customs, but I got the case in only a few days.

Anyone else used to put computer in sleep found out the wake time is much faster with Win7 than Win10? With iIn7 I press the power button and enter my account password right away. With Win10 It takes like 5-6 seconds before I see the prompt to open session.

Does anyone happen to know if the Skylake-X Direct Die plate will work with the x299e motherboard and C14 cooler?

I already ordered the plate - just trying to figure out if I need to pick up an x52 while I'm at microcenter before the plate arrives.

Last edited:

Good for you. Mine is now through Customs and I have paid necessary taxes and fees - should be with me on Monday. Gives me the weekend to play with my delid...

Just got my a Ncase in the post a few days ago. Transferring my parts over from my old Ft03 mini, just tired of how loud that build was. I’m selling my gtx-970 for now but will eventually get the 1170 or w.e it’s called and an Artic Acellero xIII. I’m keeping my Silverstone sfx 450 for a bit but hopefully replacing that with their upcoming passive model or else just getting the Corsair.

Still a bit indecisive on cpu cooler. I should just get the u9s, but a quiet build is a priority so I’m p tempted by the Dark Rock TF. Problem is, I’m still using my asrock z77 board with my 3570k and not looking to upgrade for a couple more years. Bequiet rates the compatibility with that board a yellow check mark. Worth trying? Any one return anything to Amazon recently? I can’t quite remember the process but if I have to pay return shipping and a restocking fee I’d probably consider it too expensive of an experiment. Any advice?

Just looked at my motherboard and I hope I’m wrong but I’m really not seeing how it would work with the dark rock. Space between the ram and a heat sink is a bit tight but the real problem seems to be how low the cpu is mounted on the board. It’s right above the pci express slot. <50mm from the centre of the cpu socket to the pci express slot. Even the u9s seems like it would just barely fit. I’m having trouble visualising things based on BeQuiet’s measurements but I’m not seeing how the Dark Rock won’t interfere with the GPU. If anyone can correct me I’d appreciate it, but I may have just answered my own question.

Back