NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Regarding 'waste of space' & ATX, I am referring to the extra slots (that I personally would not have a need for, which is why I gravitate towards ITX systems) & the empty space above those unused slots...
That space doesn't have to be wasted though, which is the idea I've incorporated into the M5 design (see the pics in these posts). Most people aren't going to use those last few slots of an ATX motherboard, so why not design it to support a radiator (or other things) in that space instead?

That space doesn't have to be wasted though, which is the idea I've incorporated into the M5 design (see the pics in these posts). Most people aren't going to use those last few slots of an ATX motherboard, so why not design it to support a radiator (or other things) in that space instead?

Dude, you know I have been in the M5 thread(s), here and over at SFFN...

You may be reclaiming the airspace above the unused slots on an ATX motherboard, but there is what, about 15mm or so of 'wasted space' in the surface area that is the empty slot portion of the motherboard & the space behind same...?

For me, ATX is too many slots, I will stick with ITX...

Dude, you know I have been in the M5 thread(s), here and over at SFFN...
I thought you had, but I lose track of who's commented on what. It looks like it's been a few months, at any rate.

You may be reclaiming the airspace above the unused slots on an ATX motherboard, but there is what, about 15mm or so of 'wasted space' in the surface area that is the empty slot portion of the motherboard & the space behind same...?
You could look at it that way, but in reality the width of the M5 is driven by the desired CPU cooler and/or GPU height, so that's space that would be there regardless of the motherboard support as long as the GPU plugs in the standard way (directly into the motherboard).

You can get some significant space savings by using a riser, obviously, but there are reasons why that's not necessarily the best idea. Reliability and cost being at the top of the list, but also from what I understand the electrical requirement of the upcoming PCIe standards may preclude using a riser at all.

In any case, I'm not out to convince you of anything; just explaining why I don't think back-to-back layouts make much sense once you approach 20L.

Reactions: Boil
like this
In any case, I'm not out to convince you of anything; just explaining why I don't think back-to-back layouts make much sense once you approach 20L.

For ITX motherboards & 'reference size' GPUs, the back-to-back layout makes sense...

The MB & PSU fill one side (chamber) of the layout, and the GPU the other; AIO chambers above & below...

A standard layout (GPU attached directly to MB), there is that space where the GPU extends past the MB...

Look at the Fractal Design Define Nano S, if you are not water cooling in that chassis, there are dead zones above & below the GPU, between the MB / PSU 'stack' & the front fans / radiator...

I state 20 liters to define the upper limit of SFF, but I think the back-to-back layout, with dual AIO 'zones', should be able to be done somewhere between 15 liters & 20 liters...

I am just excited about the EK MLC lineup & hope to see some SFF cases designed around these components in the future, and right now the chassis closest to this looks to be the Sliger G...

Could a smaller chassis be designed around some of the MLC components...? I believe so, using dual 140 radiators, one up front & one up top... The SFX PSU would be above the front AIO, intaking from the front panel & exhausting out the top... This would definitely need shorter tubing runs, and would also require ITX length GPUs...

But dual 240 units should cool much better than dual 140 units...

Has anyone found a solution when using the power SATA cable that comes with the Corsair SF600 power supply and trying to connect it to a SATA SSD mounted on the front panel? They are not straight so the cables hit the chassis.

Has anyone found a solution when using the power SATA cable that comes with the Corsair SF600 power supply and trying to connect it to a SATA SSD mounted on the front panel? They are not straight so the cables hit the chassis.

You can mount the SSD with mounting tape instead of the brackets. You can move it down so that power connector has room from the cut out below. Otherwise, you can mount the SSD upside down and use the small cut out towards the top of the panel.
(87)%2BNCASE%2BM1-Minimax3-DSC04532-%2BSSD%2B840%2BEVO%2B1TB.JPG

Finally you can mount your ssd on the inside of the front panel like this:
j17p1i.jpg

Optical drive slot or not... hmmm. I will probably install OS from a USB key, I have a few DVDs I don't watch and 2 or 3 Blu-Ray I believe and we don't burn CD/DVD/BR these days so I'm not sure I need it and I would have to find the one which perfectly fit in there.

Was it a hard decision for some of you?

Optical drive slot or not... hmmm. I will probably install OS from a USB key, I have a few DVDs I don't watch and 2 or 3 Blu-Ray I believe and we don't burn CD/DVD/BR these days so I'm not sure I need it and I would have to find the one which perfectly fit in there.

It's prohibitively expensive to stream movies in rural Canada so we still buy DVDs and Blu-rays. I also rip them for watching on my tablet. Those were my reasons for buying a slot load drive and the M1 case with the slotted top panel.

However, an external USB optical drive with a tray-loading mechanism is a much cheaper alternative and makes more sense for most people these days.

However, an external USB optical drive with a tray-loading mechanism is a much cheaper alternative and makes more sense for most people these days.
Canada here also. Yeah I think that if I really want one I'll go that route.

My NCase has the cut-out for the optical drive, but I don't have one installed. I'm also vanishingly unlikely to ever install an optical drive, as I have a perfectly adequate external USB drive, need the space at the front of the case for a couple of SSDs, and also slot-loading drives are quite expensive. That said, my NCase is black so I don't even notice the cut-out - I think it would be far more noticeable on a silver case, on the other hand.

I think I've used an optical drive about twice in the last four years!

I didn't even consider the optical slot, I haven't had a case that had an optical drive for over 5 years.

I have a set of custom length Corsair SF450/600 cables and a Noctua NF-P14 140mm fan that I didn’t use in my build, fairly priced. If anyone is interested PM me, otherwise they are going on eBay. I’m in Texas.

These are AliExpress cables
300mm for 24 pin,
400mm for 8 pin,
200mm for PCIE and SATA

Attachments

• FE013F4D-224E-49AF-88C4-7F8E5AC05642.jpeg
    FE013F4D-224E-49AF-88C4-7F8E5AC05642.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 66
  • 752C27F1-825A-4E42-9B71-EC82A0EB867C.jpeg
    752C27F1-825A-4E42-9B71-EC82A0EB867C.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 62
I didn't even consider the optical slot, I haven't had a case that had an optical drive for over 5 years.

I know right.... I can definitely see a use if you already have a big collection, but really I haven't needed to touch a cd/dvd for a looong time.

I do remember the golden days when a single CD could be had with 7 million PC games on it though. :whistle:(y)

My NCase has the cut-out for the optical drive, but I don't have one installed. I'm also vanishingly unlikely to ever install an optical drive, as I have a perfectly adequate external USB drive, need the space at the front of the case for a couple of SSDs, and also slot-loading drives are quite expensive. That said, my NCase is black so I don't even notice the cut-out - I think it would be far more noticeable on a silver case, on the other hand.

I think I've used an optical drive about twice in the last four years!
This is basically the only reason I ordered mine with a cut out for the slot drive. I have one from my FT03, which went to my FT03mini, and is now waiting to move to a NCASE M1.

Speaking of which, the M1 is not my ideal case, but the airflow of the FT03mini is noticeably worse than the FT03 layout. The FT03mini is more akin to a vertically mounted SG05 than a shrunken FT03 (which I get it, the FT03 was not a space efficient case, but that was in the details and implementation, not the overall architecture!). My previous "builds" in the FT03mini could be passively (or semi-passively) cooled in my FT03 fullsize, but my most recent upgrade to the FT03mini build is to basically supplement my FT03 fullsize build, with the goal of largely replacing it in usage.

As such, the limitations of the FT03 became noticeable, and while I like the SG05/06/13 cases, and they have served my purposes well, I'm diving into the NCASE M1 to see if the waters are better over here.

This is basically the only reason I ordered mine with a cut out for the slot drive. I have one from my FT03, which went to my FT03mini, and is now waiting to move to a NCASE M1.

Speaking of which, the M1 is not my ideal case, but the airflow of the FT03mini is noticeably worse than the FT03 layout. The FT03mini is more akin to a vertically mounted SG05 than a shrunken FT03 (which I get it, the FT03 was not a space efficient case, but that was in the details and implementation, not the overall architecture!). My previous "builds" in the FT03mini could be passively (or semi-passively) cooled in my FT03 fullsize, but my most recent upgrade to the FT03mini build is to basically supplement my FT03 fullsize build, with the goal of largely replacing it in usage.

As such, the limitations of the FT03 became noticeable, and while I like the SG05/06/13 cases, and they have served my purposes well, I'm diving into the NCASE M1 to see if the waters are better over here.
The SG06 is a very tight case, feel like I would have been much happier with the M1. Though, with a micro-psu and a custom drive cage the sg would probably be much better than it is as it comes stock.

Yeah, it is very limiting in CPU heatsink choices, especially since I like to try and achieve near silence from my PCs. I think I have been through 5 SG05/06 cases already.

Has anyone else bought a DEMCiflex bottom filter? I just got one and found that it's slightly too long, I had to remove the feet & then cut away some of the filters border just to see the screw holes, then even more of the border to actually remount the feet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered too. You deserve some sort of kick back...

I totally agree. :D I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they had plans to delid. This just worked out really well time wise for me, I was checking their site last week and they had an announcement on the top of the site that they were having a Cyber Monday Sale. I was like perfect, I can wait for that.

Has anyone else bought a DEMCiflex bottom filter? I just got one and found that it's slightly too long, I had to remove the feet & then cut away some of the filters border just to see the screw holes, then even more of the border to actually remount the feet.
I think that's the same one I have. I use it inside the bottom of the case rather than outside. I figure it would be less restrictive to the already small height of the feet and fits perfectly.

Didn't even know that existed. Unfortunately I've got the V1 now and it's not worth spending another $30 USD to get a replacement shipped to NZ.

I think that's the same one I have. I use it inside the bottom of the case rather than outside. I figure it would be less restrictive to the already small height of the feet and fits perfectly.

I considered that, but decided against it as I don't want to remove my bottom fans every time I want to clean the filter.

I don't know why it's only today I find out the PSU exhaust is actually inside the case, maybe because I'm into a intense planning session to select all the parts. By whatever, how does that work for you? I was planning to get the Corsair SF600 and I see the top panel have a grill but not perfectly aligned and even if it was, when air hit a surface, even if many small holes, there would be lot of slightly heated air stuck inside. A flexible duct would fix this by forcing all air to the top panel grill but I'm curious with so many builds if it's an issue for anyone? I guess not as I never read about that.

What's the usual delay to ship to Canada? I remember I saw a spreadsheet once with details but can't find it.

Anyone from Québec/Montréal area to share their experience? Delay, total amount, customs fee? Thanks!

I don't know why it's only today I find out the PSU exhaust is actually inside the case, maybe because I'm into a intense planning session to select all the parts. By whatever, how does that work for you? I was planning to get the Corsair SF600 and I see the top panel have a grill but not perfectly aligned and even if it was, when air hit a surface, even if many small holes, there would be lot of slightly heated air stuck inside. A flexible duct would fix this by forcing all air to the top panel grill but I'm curious with so many builds if it's an issue for anyone? I guess not as I never read about that.

I think most people have side fans as instakes and that helps to force air out of the case through the top panel.

What's the usual delay to ship to Canada? I remember I saw a spreadsheet once with details but can't find it.

Anyone from Québec/Montréal area to share their experience? Delay, total amount, customs fee? Thanks!

I live outside of Ottawa (towards Kingston) so I had my first case shipped to a UPS store just across the St. Lawrence river in upper New York state. This was when shipments were originating in the US. I drove down (1.25 hours), picked it up, declared it to Canada Customs and paid the sales tax. This was easy for me. My second case was shipped directly from Taiwan to my home in about 2 weeks with no complications.

However, recently I read a horror story from another buyer that had a terrible experience with the shipment from Taiwan to Canada. Canada Customs incorrectly calculated a huge import fee (> $100) and would not change it. For shipments from outside of Canada, I would rather have a case delivered to a nearby US location or let FedEx handle the shipment to Canada with their own customs staff.

However, recently I read a horror story from another buyer that had a terrible experience with the shipment from Taiwan to Canada. Canada Customs incorrectly calculated a huge import fee (> $100) and would not change it. For shipments from outside of Canada, I would rather have a case delivered to a nearby US location or let FedEx handle the shipment to Canada with their own customs staff.
Yes I remember reading that story also and I would also be frustrated if that was to happen. I found the spreadsheet and out of maybe 25 orders in Canada 2 had to pay duties.

I see when we order there is two shipping option, Air1 and Air2. I wonder if one is more prone to being checked for duties. Did everyone paid for the highest shipping option?

I have a Corsair SF600 and the fan actually comes on so seldom that this isn't even a concern.

Is there any disadvantage to using a Dual PCI-E cable versus using two individual PCI-E cables for the video card? Im running a Corsair SF600 into a EVGA 1080 ti SC2.

Is there any disadvantage to using a Dual PCI-E cable versus using two individual PCI-E cables for the video card? Im running a Corsair SF600 into a EVGA 1080 ti SC2.

I think JayzTwoCents tested this and found a very small performance advantage when using two PCI-E cables. However, I would rather deal with just one cable in a small case like the M1.

The website has officially moved to SFFLAB.

Looks good.

Anyone in your group looking to make a truly no compromises mATX board?

I went through a ton of research trying to find one that I found acceptable and ended up with a Cooler Master Silencio 352. It met all my requirements except I had to settle for 240mm radiator support instead of 280mm.

Back