NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

You know we want to see the hidden radiator..... :cool:

Love the colour scheme... Very nice!

Glad you asked! Here is the cooling unit, still little unfinished. I'm waiting for another Alphacool HF QCD, I made mistake of ordering only 1. Those red tubes are going inside the unit, only white tubes should be visible.

VBn0qRV.jpg

TUQ8VHX.jpg

Sorry about the quality, used potato.

Air is pulled from the back and pushed out from the sides. Still working how to get the filter to that hole in the back, have to think another route for the tubes. You can see the Aquaero sitting in the bottom there, extension cords for the Aquaero USB and molex power should arrive next week. Then I can get rid of that molex-PSU.

Last edited:
Glad you asked! Here is the cooling unit, still little unfinished. I'm waiting for another Alphacool HF QCD, I made mistake of ordering only 1. Those red tubes are going inside the unit, only white tubes should be visible.

VBn0qRV.jpg

TUQ8VHX.jpg

Sorry about the quality, used potato.

Air is pulled from the back and pushed out from the sides. Still working how to get the filter to that hole in the back, have to think another route for the tubes. You can see the Aquaero sitting in the bottom there, extension cords for the Aquaero USB and molex power should arrive next week. Then I can get rid of that molex-PSU.
Nice work - relocating the radiators to an external unit is something unique to the builds here. If you can find some stiff mesh, you might be able to get some kind of grommet or circular cutout for the tubes.

I have full set of Demcifilters for this case, sadly only the bottom one was needed to be installed. Any other opening, sides/top/back would just block the air from escaping.

http://www.demcifilter.com/c220/ncase-m1.aspx

I have one of their 180x180 filter for the hole in the cooling unit, can't use it because of those tubes. They have to come out somewhere and those rads are blocking backside of the case.

Once I have the other QDC I can start planning next version of that cooling unit. Maybe use laser to cut aluminium and make different mounts for different radiator sizes.

Here is my build finished, changed Strix 1070 to G1 Gaming to fit it to this case.

ed3wyW6.jpg

Cooling consist of birch plywood case which houses 2 X EK CE280 radiators, EK D5 pump and Aquaero 5. It is located under the desk, keeps the noise all down there. After 15 mins of Realbech I get 63C on CPU and GPU never hits over 40C.

Those wires are a mess, but I´m not going to fix them. I orderd a custom set from MODDIY and I should have ordered 10cm longer ATX cable.

Love the build and the colors, looks great. Curious which CPU, OC and voltage you are running? Truthfully I am just surprised with 2 radiators that you are still hitting 63C on the CPU.

Love the build and the colors, looks great. Curious which CPU, OC and voltage you are running? Truthfully I am just surprised with 2 radiators that you are still hitting 63C on the CPU.

CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz 1.42V

These are the old settings from previous system, I have to fiddle them more when I get those cables for the Aquaero. Those voltages are too high for this system.
And most of all, there are only 2 fans spinning ATM. Aquaero connects to the motherboard with 5-pin internal USB cable and Asus Z270I doesn´t have one,
only 3.0 and 3.1 connectors. So I can´t setup it right now, Aquaero settings are from previous build. Luckily I found one port that pushed full 12V so I could get my system
bleeded from air.

I´ll be back with the WC performance once i have that USB cable.

edit: CPU has been delidded and liquid metal applied to the HS.

Last edited:
Guys with problems with thr sf600, how do you measure the noise of the psu, did you just listen?
Because if you did this, then what you heard could very likely be a GPU or another component, they spin op and down like you describe.
It's pretty obvious which fan is spinning up and a close look can identify how fast. If you take the side panel off, you can physically see the fan (and mine is directly behind my monitor, so I'm basically facing it at all times.
Power supply noise is also obvious when you have fan monitoring software, and can see that the fan curve on the others is unchanged but system noise is ramping up significantly.

I do have a SPL meter, but it's a cheap one and I don't exactly have a very low noise floor.

//I don't have a SF600, but it's still a universal observation.

It takes about 5-10 minutes in a game from a cold start before the fan in my SX700-LPT starts spinning up, and it usually stops pretty much immediately after exiting and going back to idle.

CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz 1.42V

These are the old settings from previous system, I have to fiddle them more when I get those cables for the Aquaero. Those voltages are too high for this system.
And most of all, there are only 2 fans spinning ATM. Aquaero connects to the motherboard with 5-pin internal USB cable and Asus Z270I doesn´t have one,
only 3.0 and 3.1 connectors. So I can´t setup it right now, Aquaero settings are from previous build. Luckily I found one port that pushed full 12V so I could get my system
bleeded from air.

I,ll be back with the WC performance once i have that USB cable.

edit: CPU has been delidded and liquid metal applied to the HS.

Ok that makes more sense, hope you get it all sorted. When I saw your cooling setup I was expecting CPU temps in the 50s.

Guys with problems with thr sf600, how do you measure the noise of the psu, did you just listen?
Because if you did this, then what you heard could very likely be a GPU or another component, they spin op and down like you describe.

I have an sf600 and when i turn of every other fan in the system i hear nothing at idle.
It sounds like a banshee/290x when I'm running it and full load, then stop the stress tests and stop the fans.

Does your SF600 spin the fan up and down at idle?

No, it never has, I'm using a gtx 1060 and an i5 6600k.
Could you do me an enormous favor and read off the Lot code number for your SF600 please?

The original SF600 and the Replacement I just received from Corsair both have bad fan curves.

I know it's on the white label on the brown inner box that the SF-600 comes in. I don't know if it's on the SF-600 itself, I'll need to look when I get home.
I still have the box, but its a bit of a hassle to get to it. I'll look into it tomorrow.

After seeing that the ASUS Strix Ti was confirmed to fit, I bit the bullet on one and got it installed about an hour ago. Few notes that I can remember off hand...

-The card is long enough that it rests on the front panel connections (on the plastic bits -- you'll see this in the pics)
-Slim fans underneath seem possible, though it may be annoying to install while trying to fit the card in
-If the card is not seated properly, the fan seems to hit against the front panel connector plastics (found this out as my PCIe cables were pushing the card in when the panel was closed)

And here's the album I did for it. I believe it's going to be better to route my cables above the backplate of the card as to not upset the GPU placement and cause anymore fan interference. However, the satisfaction of getting this card in here and it working properly is pretty awesome.

http://imgur.com/a/PuHht

Thanks guys/gals :). I would like to make one last note: in picture 4 of 8, that left hand corner of the GPU shroud *must* sit on the higher part of the front panel or else you run the risk of the GPU sinking down and the fan hitting the I/O.

Other than that I'm loving the card. It could probably use a slim fan in the bottom for better temps, but ATM here's a small breakdown of temps after about 2 hours of BF1:

CPU peaked at 62C
GPU peaked at 75C (75% fan, +100Mhz GPU OC with it plateauing at 2000Mhz)

75% sounds like a lot but it's bearable. If I had to give a rough estimate of it compared to a FE cooler, 60% on the FE is about how 75% sounds on the STRIX OC.

After seeing that the ASUS Strix Ti was confirmed to fit, I bit the bullet on one and got it installed about an hour ago. Few notes that I can remember off hand...

-The card is long enough that it rests on the front panel connections (on the plastic bits -- you'll see this in the pics)
-Slim fans underneath seem possible, though it may be annoying to install while trying to fit the card in
-If the card is not seated properly, the fan seems to hit against the front panel connector plastics (found this out as my PCIe cables were pushing the card in when the panel was closed)

And here's the album I did for it. I believe it's going to be better to route my cables above the backplate of the card as to not upset the GPU placement and cause anymore fan interference. However, the satisfaction of getting this card in here and it working properly is pretty awesome.

http://imgur.com/a/PuHht

Nice set up, What are your PSU cable lengths?

Hey guys, would this case be able to handle a R9 Fury (Stock Clock) and a Ryzen 1700x overclocked to 3.9Ghz (1.27vcore) with a Noctua C-14/s cooler?
If I record a game with obs the cpu usage is going to be consistently high.

Has anyone used a thermalright or any of those blow down CPU cooler without a fan attached? Since I have a 120mm fan on the side bracket (I use nidec servo 1850rpm) blowing on the motherboard and CPU cooler, I feel like I dont need another fan on the heatsink itself. Thoughts?

I'm using intel cooler right now...I will test it myself once I have the thermalright AXP-100. Just want some feedback first.

Has anyone used a thermalright or any of those blow down CPU cooler without a fan attached? Since I have a 120mm fan on the side bracket (I use nidec servo 1850rpm) blowing on the motherboard and CPU cooler, I feel like I dont need another fan on the heatsink itself. Thoughts?

I'm using intel cooler right now...I will test it myself once I have the thermalright AXP-100. Just want some feedback first.

Yes, this is being done with tall CPU coolers like the Noctua NH-C14 and NH-C14s as well as the be quiet! Dark Rock TF. All of these coolers have their heatsink fins close to the M1 side bracket. I don't know how well this would work when the fins are farther a away from the bracket, that is, with a gap between the fins and the fan.

Also, mounting the fan to the bracket reduces some of the weight load on the motherboard.

I only have two AP15 fans in my case on the side bracket. My CPU temps max at 67c gaming with a c14, with ambient temps around 28 Celsius in Hawaii where its hot and humid. On really hot days my CPU reaches 72c

News on the Spreadsheet

Reddit user T3mpust have done a great job updating the spreadsheet - "DOES GPU / GPU COOLER FIT", please have a look at it, and keep it up to date :)

Reddit thread:
NCASE M1 SPREADSHEET:

*sigh*
After being coil-whine free for a while (after problems with a couple of ASUS motherboards that had it bad), my build started it up.
Prime 95 does not cause it, but it's pretty much immediately in gaming.

This would have to happen shortly after removing the shroud (and thus voiding the warranty) on the graphics card, wouldn't it?

And since it's in gaming but not Prime95, I suspect that it's the graphics card.
I've got another of the same card (on which I never removed the shroud) so I'll try putting that in later.
Though subjectively, it's less noisy with the replacement fans even with the coil whine than it is at stock. This is much better than the screechy coil whine of the ASUS boards.

Though this also coincided with a graphics card driver update (I updated yesterday and hadn't heard the coil whine before then), so it may be the new drivers.

Last edited:
*sigh*
After being coil-whine free for a while (after problems with a couple of ASUS motherboards that had it bad), my build started it up.
Prime 95 does not cause it, but it's pretty much immediately in gaming.

This would have to happen shortly after removing the shroud (and thus voiding the warranty) on the graphics card, wouldn't it?

And since it's in gaming but not Prime95, I suspect that it's the graphics card.
I've got another of the same card (on which I never removed the shroud) so I'll try putting that in later.
Though subjectively, it's less noisy with the replacement fans even with the coil whine than it is at stock. This is much better than the screechy coil whine of the ASUS boards.

Though this also coincided with a graphics card driver update (I updated yesterday and hadn't heard the coil whine before then), so it may be the new drivers.
try putting a fps limit to 60fps and if the whine goes away it your gpu. my 280x screams when fps is over 200 but if I limit it its quiet.

Some GPUs are screamers. My MSI 1070 is, Gigabyte 1070 G1 dead silent. On a good note today settled on a daily OC for my M1. On the 270i my delidded 7700K sits at 4.8Ghz 1.25v lvl 5 LLC max 70C in Realbench. 5.0 requires 1.35, max 79C.. figure 200Mhz isn't worth the extra volts/temps. Under NH-L12.

Last edited:
Some GPUs are screamers. My MSI 1070 is, Gigabyte 1070 G1 dead silent. On a good note today settled on a daily OC for my M1. On the 270i my delidded 7700K sits at 4.8Ghz 1.25v lvl 5 LLC max 70C in Realbench. 5.0 requires 1.35, max 79C.. figure 200Mhz isn't worth the extra volts/temps.
Yeah. It's just kind of weird that I'm suddenly getting this after a couple of months of quiet operation (excluding the motherboard issue)

are your running a high fps monitor now or pushing more fps than before?
I've been using a high FPS monitor the whole time (since 2014).
I recently switched from one to another, but that was a few weeks ago. Both were 144hz.

Though FPS in the game that I was playing may be higher, thanks to the driver update. I'll check on it tonight (plus try turning Vsync on, and lastly, reducing the refresh rate to 60)

are your running a high fps monitor now or pushing more fps than before?
Ok, the answer is:
YES! It's running at a much higher FPS than before.
I loaded up Fraps, and with the driver update, it's running at well over 200FPS.
Geez. That's like double what it was before. Where's a graphics setting to turn up? 2560, fantastic. Nope. Nada.

But anyway, turning V-Sync on makes the coil whine quiet enough that I only hear it in-game before the fans kick up, and it's gone if I run it at 1/2 vsync.

Edit:
Ok. I guess it was just that area that ran that fast.
A lot of it is in the 70-110 range and has coil whine that wasn't there before.

Last edited:
Nice set up, What are your PSU cable lengths?

Thanks! Sorry for the delay, but here's my order from Aliexpress (search WinfMod):

SATA - 300mm (has 3 power connections on one)
2xPCIe - 300mm
24-pin - 300mm
4+4 EPS - 500mm

In hindsight, you can see that I could have definitely went shorter on the EPS...and even the 24-pin. I find the PCIe cables to be just right as well as the SATA cable.

Thanks! Sorry for the delay, but here's my order from Aliexpress (search WinfMod):

SATA - 300mm (has 3 power connections on one)
2xPCIe - 300mm
24-pin - 300mm
4+4 EPS - 500mm

In hindsight, you can see that I could have definitely went shorter on the EPS...and even the 24-pin. I find the PCIe cables to be just right as well as the SATA cable.

I went with Aliexpress for my cables also, very pleased with the way they look. You sure can't beat the price.

I went with PCIe 300mm
24 pin 300mm
4+4 EPS 400mm.
The 400mm is plenty on the 4+4 and like you said you could go shorter with the 24 pin.

Last edited:
I went with Aliexpress for my cables also, very pleased with the way they look. You sure can't beat the price.

I went with PCIe 300mm
24 pin 300mm
4+4 EPS 400mm.
The 400mm is plenty on the 4+4 and like you said you could go shorter with the 24 pin.

Yep! I did the same. I spent ~$40 on all of my cables and I think they turned out excellent. I was actually recommended them on OCN :p.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Hey guys,

I want to run the best possible AIO CPU watercooler 240 at my new build. I was thinking of the Kraken x52 - BUT I also want to use the Asus Strix Z270i, which do not have an internal USB2.0

SO my question is, have someone found a converter from internal header USB3 to USB2?

Or should I find another AIO cooler - If so, which one?

The lack of USB2.0 header on the Strix is a bit of a pain, really. You could always use a 3.0 to 2.0 header converter, or less satisfactorily from an aesthetics point of view, a USB2.0 Type A to USB2.0 header cable threaded from the rear I/O back into the case (via one of the w/c grommets, perhaps). But that latter solution will look horrible!

Hey guys,

I want to run the best possible AIO CPU watercooler 240 at my new build. I was thinking of the Kraken x52 - BUT I also want to use the Asus Strix Z270i, which do not have an internal USB2.0

SO my question is, have someone found a converter from internal header USB3 to USB2?

Or should I find another AIO cooler - If so, which one?

Read this review http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...srock-fatal1ty-z270-gaming-itx-ac-review.html and get the Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac instead. Asrock has really gone high end with the components used and it still has a usb 2.0 header. If you read through this thread you will find many people having issues with the Strix.

Back