NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

It's around 1:2 I believe. It's a little surprising it's still that high, but it's possible some people just like having the option. Slim slot-loading optical drives have become somewhat rare now, with only a single Silverstone model readily available (at a somewhat inflated price).

Got the ODD and never used it. Still waiting for 4K slim player :D

Just to be sure, it's only the top panel that is different, right?

Yes only the slot in the top panel is different and you can order an additional panel without the slot. Even the cases with no slot still have the mount for the slim drive at the front of the case.

Have you tried undervolting your 7700k at stock speeds?

My 4.2ghz 4690k runs quite hot. 75-80 degrees under (full cpu) load with a 1.17v vcore. 60-65 under gaming with an Asus Strix 1070 exhausting inside the case.. I have my fans around 1000-1200 RPM though on a D9L. So your temps sound relatively normal. Though the delided unit should be far cooler... if you've left the voltage at auto maybe try setting it manually/checking that as well.

Did undervolt to 1.250v yesterday (lowest that I could do stable at stock speeds). Even turned off Intel Turbo Boost. Initially temps looked better, but after 20 min of playing, the temperaturez were back to their usual highs of 80c.

Pretty frustrating experiences I'm getting with my, now second, NCASE build. The fact that some guys here can get 65C under load with a goddamn L12 with a 7700K at 4.6 GHz, whereas my U9S with two fans can't even keep the temps under 80C at stock speeds is pretty depressing. Forget about the fact that delidding this unit has essentially resulted in zero improvements (I basically am one of the unlucky few in this regard). I still find it strange how I can't get voltages any lower than 1.250v, or how the temperatures are as they are.

I'm gonna try and add a 120mm intake fan on the right side of the case to help the cooler get in more air. But other than that, I'm really out of ideas of what to do here. When reading the results people get with their coolers and CPUs, and even how they have fans at low RPM, whereas I'm sitting here at 80C with fans up at 1600 RPM and whatnot, is annoying. Something is clearly wrong. Hopefully the added intake fan will fix my issues, as I suspect it's in the intake of air I'm having problems. In the meantime I'll be looking for a used C14 online, as I'm convinced that having a side-fan that directly blows air outside of the case or into the case is much better. I'll also probably downgrade to a 6700K next week, if the issues with the 7700K aren't fixed. I'll also look into better options in terms of fans,as I'm not at all happy with some of my Noctua fans when it comes to general noise. Especially the NF-F12 fan, that make a slight, but noticable, vibration noise at 700 RPM and upwards. Would appreciate suggestions for alternatives here (BeQuiet, Noiseblocker, etc).

So far this has been a terrible ride for me. Buzzing SF600. Temps and noise that go way beyond my 65-70C and 1000 RPM goals (under load) goals for the CPU. Even the EVGA GTX 1070 reaches 78-80C at load, which is 10 degrees higher than what others in here get. Either I'm delusional in my expectations, or the people who post their amazing results in here are exaggarating.

/endrant.

whereas my U9S with two fans can't even keep the temps under 80C at stock speeds is pretty depressing.
Hi. I plan to do something similar to you so I read your adventure. Like I said in a previous post my idea will be to try duct if I see temps are bad but not sure 80C is that bad actually. I know it's hot but I would worry more if it was 90+. See Intel docs. What I will try if I'm not satisfied is duct CPU heatsink output to rear and I also plan to put tape on the HS sides so that way all air going in HS will be directed outside with no possible return of warmed air circulating in the box.

Other than that I cannot help as I cannot experiment with it yet.

Last edited:
I've got a 6700K under a Noctua U9S (with two fans), vertically orientated. I also have a Noctua NF-S12A as an intake on the side panel.

It's basically silent at idle, which is nice, but...

To be honest, I'm not especially impressed with the noise under load - the U9S fans get pretty loud beyond about 60% but don't seem to push as much air as I would have hoped. Temperatures climb fairly quickly under load and peak just over 80 degrees C, which isn't terrible in itself, but the noise is an issue. When playing something like GTAV I find that the fan noise drowns out the game. Granted, the case is sitting on the desk only a couple of feet away, but it's a lot louder than I expected or wanted.

I'm not convinced the side intake is doing a great deal, to be honest, and I don't think adding a 92mm fan at the back will help much either, especially given the volume of the NF-A9s. At least the 120mm fan is nice and quiet.

I'm wondering whether switching to a different cooler might be in order, perhaps an AIO? Then again, I've heard that the pump noise can be a bit of a pest. I know that one of the pitfalls of a case like this is that there's no sound insulation and the mesh sides and top mean that it's going to be fairly noisy, but I'm a bit worried that unless I can get the noise levels under control it's just going to be unbearable for me personally. A shame, as the M1 is the nicest case I've ever had.

I've got a 6700K under a Noctua U9S (with two fans), vertically orientated. I also have a Noctua NF-S12A as an intake on the side panel.

To be honest, I'm not especially impressed with the noise under load - the U9S fans get pretty loud beyond about 60% but don't seem to push as much air as I would have hoped. Temperatures climb fairly quickly under load and peak just over 80 degrees C, which isn't terrible in itself, but the noise is an issue. When playing something like GTAV I find that the fan noise drowns out the game. Granted, the case is sitting on the desk only a couple of feet away, but it's a lot louder than I expected or wanted.

I'm not convinced the side intake is doing a great deal, to be honest, and I don't think adding a 92mm fan at the back will help much either, especially given the volume of the NF-A9s. At least the 120mm fan is nice and quiet.

I'm wondering whether switching to a different cooler might be in order, perhaps an AIO? Then again, I've heard that the pump noise can be a bit of a pest. I know that one of the pitfalls of a case like this is that there's no sound insulation and the mesh sides and top mean that it's going to be fairly noisy, but I'm a bit worried that unless I can get the noise levels under control it's just going to be unbearable for me personally. A shame, as the M1 is the nicest case I've ever had.

As a silence nut, an AIO doesn't work for me. The slight pump noise during idle annoys me more than fan noise during load.

What's the reason for vertical orientation? I personally feel the horizontal works better. Intake on the side front, pulls air into the case, then the fans push through the U9S and out the back.

What is your 6700k at? OC'd? Stock? What's the voltage like?

Also consider using LNA adapters, as you will find you lose maybe only 1-2 degrees but gain a lot back for loudness.

I was going to use the same cooler and I agree with the above. 1 120mm fan in the front most side bracket as an intake, horizontl cooler and a rear exhaust would make quite a good flow of air in m thinking.

As for the GFX card I was going to buy a GTX 1070/1080 strix (still decidingif the extra is worth it for when I get my U3417w- any help appreciated on this) and put 2 fans below it and connect them directly to the card itself as that card has 2 fan connecters which allows the fan to control those 2 fans.

Good to know I'm not alone. Yeah, I'm definately going to go for a C14 if I find one. I'm hoping a combination of a 6700K, C14, another side-fan and a bit overclocking will give me the much-needed temps and noise levels (under load) I'm looking for. AIO is my second option, but I know it means idle noise, as well as horrible cable management (at least for 240mm rad, which I in my last builde had to forcibly push upwards so that it didn't put pressure on the GPU). As a last resort I'll probably ask someone to delid my 6700K.

As a silence nut, an AIO doesn't work for me. The slight pump noise during idle annoys me more than fan noise during load.

What's the reason for vertical orientation? I personally feel the horizontal works better. Intake on the side front, pulls air into the case, then the fans push through the U9S and out the back.

What is your 6700k at? OC'd? Stock? What's the voltage like?

Also consider using LNA adapters, as you will find you lose maybe only 1-2 degrees but gain a lot back for loudness.

I would be interested in knowing about his vertical orientation as well. When I tried this, I could only orient it one way, but it was the wrong way in terms of where the heat pipes were. Trying to turn it around the other way would make the second 92mm stick out of the case.

As for LNA; doesn't LNA just restrict the fan to a given RPM? At least that's why I dropped it. I was also unsure whether I would be able to have a fan profile with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still have a fan profile, the % still works. Technically it restricts the fan by voltage, not RPM, but they equate to a set range anyway.

This is how I have mine setup with a D9L.

I have LNA's on all fans. I hit 60-65 gaming, 75 ish full load Prime, 4.2ghz oc. It's reasonably quiet. My 1070 Strix is far and away the loudest thing in my rig, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20161211_115930.jpg
    IMG_20161211_115930.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20161211_120258.jpg
    IMG_20161211_120258.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 114
How load would you say it is, subjectively of course? I ask as it may swing me to stick with the 1070 over a 1080.
The system or the GPU?

The Strix is louder than my previous (dead/RMA'd) EVGA 1070 SC. I assume this is due to the smaller fans, despite having 3. For me personally, it's louder than I'd like under full load. As a result I actually run a lower power limit to help limit the temp/noise, as currently most games I play don't require it to be at full bore. (I limit Overwatch to 70 frames, I'm only on 60hz so frame times are within usable range). I limit BF1 to 59.95 using the in-game limiter, perfect consistent 60fps (feels like G sync without actually having it XD). Etc.

I don't know if adding bottom fans helps, as I haven't tried with the Strix yet. But with my 1070 EVGA, it helped ensure idle temps were cool, and under light games the EVGA fans never sped up because the intakes were enough to keep it cool.

Some others here report much better temps for their Strix with fans, so not sure.. (No air con room, I live in Australia so generally warmer).

Those with custom loops in the M1: what are your temps like? I'm wondering if temps are good enough to just run one 240mm radiator with slim fans at the bottom or if adding a 92mm rad in the back would have a noticeable improvement. Thanks!

Do a quick search for my posts. If you're running a bottom rad, a second 92mm or 120 is a must. No question about it.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give the LNAs a try first, but if that's not satisfactory then I'll try rotating the U9S to horizontal. I'm a little bit concerned about there being enough clearance on the motherboard for the second fan in this orientation.

My 6700K is not overclocked and the voltage seems normal too.

Those with custom loops in the M1: what are your temps like? I'm wondering if temps are good enough to just run one 240mm radiator with slim fans at the bottom or if adding a 92mm rad in the back would have a noticeable improvement. Thanks!

I would prefer one at the side panel, not at the bottom if possible (better airflow). One 240mm is just fine in this case, but of course it also depends on your used hardware.

Example of my M1 custom loop

GPU block with internal pump: Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro
CPU block: Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light V2
Radiator: 240mm MagiCool G2 Slim
Reservior: Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 10 LT
Fans: 4x Noctua NF-P12 (bottom 650-700 rpm / side 850-950 rpm)

Used hardware:

Intel i7-3770 @ 4.1 Ghz
EVGA GTX 1070 @ 2 Ghz GPU / 4.5 Ghz memory

After one hour playing DOOM at higest settings I hit these temperatures (room temperature 23.6°C):

CPU peak at 51°C
GPU peak at 41°C

Running a testing benchmark like Prime95 (v26.6) CPU peak at 55°C

003xeoa9.jpg

0021orju.jpg

004gqrcp.jpg

Last edited:
I would prefer one at the side panel, not at the bottom if possible (better airflow). One 240mm is just fine in this case, but of course it also depends on your used hardware.

Used hardware:

Intel i7-3770 @ 4.1 Ghz

After one hour playing DOOM at higest settings I hit these temperatures (room temperature 23.6°C):

CPU peak at 51°C
GPU peak at 41°C

Never seen anyone fit the the res between the CPU and the rad before. Nicely done, what pump are you using?

Used hardware:

Intel i7-3770 @ 4.1 Ghz

CPU peak at 51°C
GPU peak at 41°C

View attachment 21312
View attachment 21314
View attachment 21313

I think the Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro is a clever idea and works well in the M1 since the GPU block includes the pump and allows an expanded loop to include the CPU.

Yeah, it´s a lasercut acryl panel. It was made by "martmamod", a guy from Germany.

Any change that I could order one from him? Or is it possible to do in any place that cuts acrylic with laser, just being careful with measurements?

I'm about to do window to the same panel. Thought I use mill to cut out the hole and then try to cut acryl that fits exactly to the hole. Is this what you have done? Can you post picture from inside of the panel?

If you wish to pay 1200$ NVIDIA is supposedly supporting MacOS with their recently announced TitianXp. Not that I would ever reccomend buying it.
Yeah, I saw that. Excellent news, I guess. But I'll be sticking with my RX 480 for the time being. ;)

This in my M1, btw:
d1yMRzG.jpg

Have decided to remove the fans and the shroud from the GPU, put some 120mm fans in there and 3D-print a duct.

And how it was before duct? Just sucking air from case? Do you know temps before and after duct?
No, but considering the GPU runs at 94C....

It would have just sucked in the exhaust heat from the CPU.

Mind you I'm running positive pressure for dust reasons, I could run negative pressure and it's FAR easier to do and cooler internally.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give the LNAs a try first, but if that's not satisfactory then I'll try rotating the U9S to horizontal. I'm a little bit concerned about there being enough clearance on the motherboard for the second fan in this orientation.

My 6700K is not overclocked and the voltage seems normal too.
Something's wrong. I ran a U9S with one fan, and it was great with my [email protected]@1.36V, it only started losing it at [email protected].

Maybe it's because you're doing the airflow poorly? Try using some printer paper and tape or just painters tape and ducting (cold) air in from the rear 92mm fan port. Rotate the U9S to face the rear of the case. Shut off/remove the second fan.

Last edited:
No, but considering the GPU runs at 94C....

It would have just sucked in the exhaust heat from the CPU.

Mind you I'm running positive pressure for dust reasons, I could run negative pressure and it's FAR easier to do and cooler internally.

Something's wrong. I ran a U9S with one fan, and it was great with my [email protected]@1.36V, it only started losing it at [email protected].

Maybe it's because you're doing the airflow poorly? Try using some printer paper and tape or just painters tape and ducting (cold) air in from the rear 92mm fan port. Rotate the U9S to face the rear of the case. Shut off/remove the second fan.

I think this is the first time I've heard of mounting the NH-U9S so that the airflow is from the rear of the case to the front (and mounting the heatsink accordingly - heatpipes to the rear). Do you have any photos of this setup? What other fans are in the build and how are they oriented?

I tried positive pressure once on another setup for same reason, I wanted to keep it clean, and it's hard to get good results.

Does anyone have an M1 V5 that doesn't have a two-color LED for the HDD/power light? I tried switching the power and HDD cables to the header but now I have a flashing blue power button. I might just unplug them if theres no red! It's not like I need to see the light on when I can hear the fans are on...

90ae5cc610.jpg

38dec174f7.jpg

Got bored and pulled my case apart. Drained and cleaned the loop, redid the GPU tubing and installed new PSU cables. I like the solid black much better.

I have been running this comp 24/7 for nearly a year with the fans as intake, positive pressure. Have to say it works very well, I had very little dust in the case.

Used hardware:

Intel i7-3770 @ 4.1 Ghz

CPU peak at 51°C
GPU peak at 41°C

View attachment 21312
View attachment 21314
View attachment 21313
What mount did you use for that reservoir? And would that GPU block work for a 1080ti?

I think this is the first time I've heard of mounting the NH-U9S so that the airflow is from the rear of the case to the front (and mounting the heatsink accordingly - heatpipes to the rear). Do you have any photos of this setup? What other fans are in the build and how are they oriented?
I swapped it out to a C14S, so no pictures.

There were no other fans in the build, due to the duct (the U9S itself forces air out of the case due to positive pressure, while always drawing in cool air).

What mount did you use for that reservoir? And would that GPU block work for a 1080ti?

I used the default holder (one of them) which are in the package included. At the rear trough the 92mm fan grill you can simply mount with the screws that.

1129176_3__8746024-3.jpg

In general if the 1080 TI PCB used FE layout I don't see any problem here, you can check on the Alphacool site, they have already added 1080 Ti cards www.hwconfig.com

Not sure if this has been posted here before (I didnt find anything specific for it while searching)
but the Asus 1080 ti Strix fits in the case. I figured it might be interesting to know since atleast according to asus homepage the cooler is slightly thicker than the 1080 strix
IMG_20170408_223709.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted here before (I didnt find anything specific for it while searching)
but the Asus 1080 ti Strix fits in the case. I figured it might be interesting to know since atleast according to asus homepage the cooler is slightly thicker than the 1080 strix
View attachment 21396

Thanks for the picture, good to know the Strix 1080ti fits. I'm guessing it's too thick to fit standard size fans underneath?

Thanks for the picture, good to know the Strix 1080ti fits. I'm guessing it's too thick to fit standard size fans underneath?
yes you would have to try to fit the fans in after mounting the graphics card. also the cables from the cases front connectors means you probably wont fit even a slim fan in the front area.

yes you would have to try to fit the fans in after mounting the graphics card. also the cables from the cases front connectors means you probably wont fit even a slim fan in the front area.

Great pic! Nice to see that card fits appropriately. Is there room at the bottom for 15mm slim fans?

Great pic! Nice to see that card fits appropriately. Is there room at the bottom for 15mm slim fans?
at the back definitely at the front you might have an issue just like i stated in the earlier post due to the clearance with the cables from the front connectors of the case

View attachment 21396
Nice, I'm aiming for the Strix too.
Can I get some temp results please?

at the back definitely at the front you might have an issue just like i stated in the earlier post due to the clearance with the cables from the front connectors of the case

I don't understand this. If regular 25 mm thick dual 120 mm fans fit under other circumstances, why wouldn't dual slim 120 mm fans fit under this graphics card? I have fit dual 140 mm fans at the bottom of my case underneath a thick and long third-party GPU cooler.

I don't understand this. If regular 25 mm thick dual 120 mm fans fit under other circumstances, why wouldn't dual slim 120 mm fans fit under this graphics card? I have fit dual 140 mm fans at the bottom of my case underneath a thick and long third-party GPU cooler.

3ba1a2caa5.jpg

1080 on left Ti on right, doesn't look like is thick enough to interfere with fans.

View attachment 21396

Very nice! I would also like to know your gpu + ambient temps with the case closed.

So, I took off the shroud on my Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 1070, and put in two SilentWings 3 120mm fans at the bottom as exhaust. After running an hour+ on Hawken in the menus (and for some reason, Snake Pass in the background, since I forgot to close it out, which ended up being 30-35% CPU load and 90-99% GPU load, and the fans set to run at 40% until reaching 80 degrees at which point it would rapidly increase, the GPU temperature stayed mostly below 80, and I see peaks of only 50% when the GPU fans started going up with high temperatures.
40% with the SilentWings is a lot better than 40% with the stock fans due to their bearing noise, so I'm pretty happy with the results. It's also vastly easier to get the card in and out of the case without the shroud. I ended up using the fan header that was by the power plugs, since the others didn't seem to make the fans spin up. Gigabyte does not make it easy to tell which are for fans and which are for their silly LED lighting.

The only real noise concern now is the power supply, but that only spins up to loud levels under very high load. Most of the time, I don't even hear it, even in gaming.

Back