NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Decided to keep track of my Ncase M1 build on here, if interested feel free to check it out!

Ncase M1 V4 Black
Intel Core i7 6700K
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming
Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR4 2133 Mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Corsair SF450
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P
CPU Fan: Thermalright TY-147

https://hardforum.com/threads/project-omni-ncase-m1-build-log.1923265/

Looking good, I thought the Gigabyte GPU would fit in there, didn't think it would be that difficult glad to see you got it installed. Really curious how cool the card runs with it's fan design.

First post here, been lurking for a while and almost have my build complete.

NCASE M1
Intel Core i5 6600K
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB M.2
Corsair SF600
Noctua NH-C12

I'm still trying to decide on the GPU. It sounds like a blower is the preferred style but I've had a hard time finding many builds with an open style to compare differences in thermals.

Last edited:
Looking good, I thought the Gigabyte GPU would fit in there, didn't think it would be that difficult glad to see you got it installed. Really curious how cool the card runs with it's fan design.

Yeah I'm glad I took the risk to check if the card would fit! Will update this thread once the system is running :)

Guys.. I remember Linus saying to stick with reference(or close to) designs as much as possible? Open air cards might overheat the system..

I went with the msi Seahawk.. I will report back to headquarters once I got the Ncase :)

Guys.. I remember Linus saying to stick with reference(or close to) designs as much as possible? Open air cards might overheat the system..

I went with the msi Seahawk.. I will report back to headquarters once I got the Ncase :)
I have a MSI aero 1070 with an EVGA hybrid kit (same as the seahawk) and it runs very cool when used as an intake. When gaming I don't recall seeing a temp over 45C while running stock clocks/voltages. Only problem with this is it dumps all the GPU heat into the case which with my setup makes for a hotter then normal running CPU and mobo. I would like to try reversing the fans and making it an outtake and see what that does to GPU temps.
As far as open vs blower style I can only speak to my experience with the MSI aero and a R9 290 Tri-X which was a hot running card and not a direct comparison but the open cooler card dumped heat into my case which caused warm temps like the hybrid kit does but with more fan noise. The MSI aero ran hot and throttled but I couldn't tell you if that was because it was a shitty blower cooler or what.

I was going to buy a NF-A9 PWM for the case intake (going to run a NH-D9L) and noticed the NF-A9 FLX variant which is even quieter, but has reduced air flow. Does anyone have any experience with the FLX model? Would it be strong enough to pull air into the case? My only other fans are the EVGA Hybrid fans.

I have a MSI aero 1070 with an EVGA hybrid kit (same as the seahawk) and it runs very cool when used as an intake. When gaming I don't recall seeing a temp over 45C while running stock clocks/voltages. Only problem with this is it dumps all the GPU heat into the case which with my setup makes for a hotter then normal running CPU and mobo. I would like to try reversing the fans and making it an outtake and see what that does to GPU temps.
As far as open vs blower style I can only speak to my experience with the MSI aero and a R9 290 Tri-X which was a hot running card and not a direct comparison but the open cooler card dumped heat into my case which caused warm temps like the hybrid kit does but with more fan noise. The MSI aero ran hot and throttled but I couldn't tell you if that was because it was a shitty blower cooler or what.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Im not sure why you think your Evga hybrid kit dumps hot hair into the case. The blower fan style pulls fresh hair in and exaust it from the back of the card. Your rad does the same. What's your CPU cooler?

I'm planning to install the Corsair H75. With both CPU and GPU AIOs the system should be running pretty cool. I think i'm gonna try first to set the fans as intake and buy a 92mm case fan to exaust hot hair from the case.

Well if you happen to switch the fans from intake to exaust please report back in this thread.. I'm curious to know the results:)

I was just about to purchase the Asrock Z270 m-itx when I remembered that one user had found that his D9L interfered with his memory. Unfortunately I can't find that post any longer so I cannot confirm the height of his memory. I'm going to be using Corsair LPX which only needs 31mm of clearance. Based on my pixel counting, it looks like the D9L has 34mm of clearance. The new Z270 board also has about 1mm of additional space between the memory and the CPU, but I don't know if that is enough. I would just get the ASUS Z270I ROG M-ITX, but they have not released it yet. If someone could point me in the direction of that post (I believe there was a picture of the memory pressing against the cooler fins), that would be great. Otherwise any other thoughts are of course welcome.

I was just about to purchase the Asrock Z270 m-itx when I remembered that one user had found that his D9L interfered with his memory. Unfortunately I can't find that post any longer so I cannot confirm the height of his memory. I'm going to be using Corsair LPX which only needs 31mm of clearance. Based on my pixel counting, it looks like the D9L has 34mm of clearance. The new Z270 board also has about 1mm of additional space between the memory and the CPU, but I don't know if that is enough. I would just get the ASUS Z270I ROG M-ITX, but they have not released it yet. If someone could point me in the direction of that post (I believe there was a picture of the memory pressing against the cooler fins), that would be great. Otherwise any other thoughts are of course welcome.

This technical drawing at the Noctua website should help: http://noctua.at/en/nh-d9l/faq

This technical drawing at the Noctua website should help: http://noctua.at/en/nh-d9l/faq

Thanks - I looked at this already, unfortunately they do not have the height to the fins.

Based on my pixel counting though, it looks like there should be at least 38mm of clearance... I'm really not sure how the other forum member was hitting his memory, especially because the cooler is 95x95mm.

*Edit: I pulled the trigger on the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 - I'll report back on the prognosis.

Last edited:
Thanks - I looked at this already, unfortunately they do not have the height to the fins.

Based on my pixel counting though, it looks like there should be at least 38mm of clearance... I'm really not sure how the other forum member was hitting his memory, especially because the cooler is 95x95mm.

I was just looking again at that drawing of the D9L and decided to compare it to the U9S. Both are 95 mm x 95 mm, but with the U9S this includes a fan attached to the fins right beside the memory slots. On my son's Asus Z170I Pro Gaming that fan is right beside the closest RAM slot. With the D9L, these dimensions do not include a fan so the fan will be above the memory. So, the clearance might only be 25 mm under the fan, as per the Noctua drawing, unless it is shifted higher.

I was just looking again at that drawing of the D9L and decided to compare it to the U9S. Both are 95 mm x 95 mm, but with the U9S this includes a fan attached to the fins right beside the memory slots. On my son's Asus Z170I Pro Gaming that fan is right beside the closest RAM slot. With the D9L, these dimensions do not include a fan so the fan will be above the memory. So, the clearance might only be 25 mm under the fan, as per the Noctua drawing, unless it is shifted higher.

The D9L has the fan in the center though - the second fan I was going to put on the rear of the fan (so other side from the memory). I would think the D9L would work then, right? Certainly I don't see how the cooler fins would be pressed against the memory.

The D9L has the fan in the center though - the second fan I was going to put on the rear of the fan (so other side from the memory). I would think the D9L would work then, right? Certainly I don't see how the cooler fins would be pressed against the memory.

Yes that should fit, unless there is something that interferes with the rear fan. A final option would be to turn the heatsink 90 degrees so that there is vertical airflow through the fins.

Good luck and please post some photos. There aren't many builds with the D9L.

This thread has been a great source of information for my still-in-progress build, but at least I can use the computer now. I don't know why everyone complains about cable management, just let everything hang out
NZxZfDa.jpg

This thread has been a great source of information for my still-in-progress build, but at least I can use the computer now. I don't know why everyone complains about cable management, just let everything hang out
NZxZfDa.jpg

I have such heavy CPU block envy right now. I had considered replacing mine with this one but.......

It's such a shame that the display is obscured...(Mine would be similar)
Will you plan any funky tubing runs around that?

Ncase M1 COnfig 1 Air + AIO Top
Ncase M1 Config 1 Air + AIO Internal

This is from my initial setup. Hope this help you...
The ram pictured is Corsair vengeance LED. Quite a tall unit.

NZxZfDa.jpg
That looks so cool!!! Your CPU waterblock looks awesome. I love the white radiator...very unique

NZxZfDa.jpg
Just curious what size tubing that is?

I know I shouldn't be posting this here, but I upgraded from a SilverStone SG13 to an NCase M1 a while ago; and now I am moving and cannot take my old SG13 with me. I've decided to donate it to an SFF enthusiast willing to drive to my area. Please see here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/free-...n-like-new-must-pick-up-from-dc-area.1923550/

Again, I realize it's not appropriate to post this in the NCase M1 thread, but I hope the mods will let it slide as I really want to get exposure to my SG13 donation thread. It's relevant to the NCase M1, as my SG13 provided a comfy home for my PC until I saved for/received my NCase M1, and it can do that for you too! I'd hate to see a perfectly good space-efficient ITX case like the SG13 go to waste. If this post must be removed, however, I understand.

Thanks. I have to redo the tubing so I may run it differently to give a better view of the Vision module. Still so much to do to get it finished... Probably take me another month to find the time, and then another month waiting for some part will need that I inevitably overlooked.

s0skey - tubing is standard acrylic 10/12 for two runs and soft tubing for the other two.

Great photos! I am amazed how people fit the hoses of one liquid cooling loop into the M1, let alone two of them.

So the radiators fans are exhausting through the radiators and therefore no intake fans, right?

Yep! For the buttom, becouse of the AIO in the GPU i dont need extra fans. Like this the air is comming from the top of the case, and leave on the side. I made even a smoke test if everything is allright. First i was planning to use the Cooler Master Masterliquid pro 120 aio, but the radiator size was problem (too tall) so i had to change for Corsair H75.
Originally i was planned to build the watercooling with dual 240 radiators, but i dont had time now to make it ready. Later :)
Sry for my english, but its not my mother leanguage....

Great photos! I am amazed how people fit the hoses of one liquid cooling loop into the M1, let alone two of them.

The radiators fans are exhausting through the radiators and there are no intake fans. Have you run any stress tests yet?

CPU: i7 [email protected] 1.35 running Aida64 72 celsius max
GPU: OC@2100Mhz Max temp 48 celsius

Nicely done Haxteen.

I am having problems with my build. One 240 radiator is simply not enough, after 30 min. of gaming, my water temperature is up to 50 C! I was thinking I would probably need to add the back 92 mm radiator at some point, but I don't think that will be enough. I will probably have to move the pump outside - attach it to the back, and have another 240 on the side. Kind of disappointed about that. I guess I was expecting too much from water cooling, being my first time using it.

Nicely done Haxteen.

I am having problems with my build. One 240 radiator is simply not enough, after 30 min. of gaming, my water temperature is up to 50 C! I was thinking I would probably need to add the back 92 mm radiator at some point, but I don't think that will be enough. I will probably have to move the pump outside - attach it to the back, and have another 240 on the side. Kind of disappointed about that. I guess I was expecting too much from water cooling, being my first time using it.

I am not an expert in water cooling, but I have read that some radiators are better than others in the M1. What radiator and fans are you using?

Finally got around to adding specs in my signature. But running the one people recommended from Hardware Labs - Nemesis GTS240, with the low profile Prolimatech fans.

Nicely done Haxteen.

That was the reason i was waiting with my setup..... One 240 slim rad, for config like you have is not enough. My problem was the same when i was planning the costum watercooling. I dont want cpu block+pump combo, , i need the 2x240 rad, so i have to mount the pump outside of the case, wich i dont want and i dont like it at all......
my fans are Noctua NF-F12 ippc fans, they have the best spec's but not that quiet like Noiseblocker fans...

Hi guys,

I'm currently planning my first build into the ncase m1 v5 this weekend.

Here are the parts:
* i7 6700k
* asus z170i pro
* 16gb of RAM
* M2 500go SSD
* Reference GTX980
* Cooling: noctua U9S with 2 fans + 1*S12A PWM (right side of the panel, facing the PSU)
* Corsair SF600 with fan turned inside the case to benefit from side fan

I'm used to mini itx, i've built several computers in the Node 304. However, is there anything specific I should know regarding the building experience?
More specifically:
1. Can I install everything on the motherboard (heatsink included,GPU excluded), before screwing it into the case?
2. Do I put in the PSU before or after the motherboard?
3. Is it possible to stack the PSU cables behind the front panel before routing them in the components? I don't think I've seen anyone do this

Thanks

Hi,

My build went well. Had some trouble with the motherboard, the latest BIOS (3016) does not seem to be very polished.
My only issue so far is the power LED. It's blinking blue instead of being solid blue. I did not plug the power LED.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Nicely done Haxteen.

Watercooling isn't really that great in the NCASE due to space limitations; it's mostly for looks. Cheaper/easier to just go with air or AIO.

Hi,

My build went well. Had some trouble with the motherboard, the latest BIOS (3016) does not seem to be very polished.
My only issue so far is the power LED. It's blinking blue instead of being solid blue. I did not plug the power LED.
Any ideas?

Thanks

All I can think of, and I am sure you checked this, is that the Power LED connector is plugged into the HD LED pins.

All I can think of, and I am sure you checked this, is that the Power LED connector is plugged into the HD LED pins.

Yeah I did, not sure what's going on, it was solid blue before. It's blinking regurlarly, as you would expect in a standby state.

Watercooling isn't really that great in the NCASE due to space limitations; it's mostly for looks. Cheaper/easier to just go with air or AIO.

Ok I have 1 240mm Black Ice 240 GTS radiator cooling a OCed 6600k and a GTX 1070. Max temps on the CPU is 50C, max on the 1070 is 42C. How is that not great? I haven't seen an air cooled setup come close to those kind of temps.

Ok I have 1 240mm Black Ice 240 GTS radiator cooling a OCed 6600k and a GTX 1070. Max temps on the CPU is 50C, max on the 1070 is 42C. How is that not great? I haven't seen an air cooled setup come close to those kind of temps.

I've yet to see results for a 6600k and a 1070 under an accelero heatsink temps either. I always see 6700ks and 1080s.

So here are the main downsides to doing this: more noise (you're limited to small pumps which have to run at higher speeds compared to say a D5), expensive, and the temps just aren't seriously amazing enough to justify all the added expense either. You just aren't coming anywhere close to alarming levels on air in this case if you use a big heatsink like the C14 and an Accelero Xtreme for the GPU, even with overclocking.

Yeah I did, not sure what's going on, it was solid blue before. It's blinking regurlarly, as you would expect in a standby state.

Check the latest update "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3211320)". was blinking blue LED - now Ok!

So my options for increased cooling capacity are:

1. Move pump/res outside case, and attach to back. Buy another 240 rad for the side mounted location inside case.

2. Buy a 92 mm (40 mm thick) rad for inside, back of case, and hope that is enough extra cooling.

3. Attach a 240 rad outside the case somewhere... maybe on top?

Any other options/advice?

My goal is silent and reasonably cool, i.e Delta T ~ 10-15 °C for coolant.

So my options for increased cooling capacity are:

1. Move pump/res outside case, and attach to back. Buy another 240 rad for the side mounted location inside case.

2. Buy a 92 mm (40 mm thick) rad for inside, back of case, and hope that is enough extra cooling.

3. Attach a 240 rad outside the case somewhere... maybe on top?

Any other options/advice?

My goal is silent and reasonably cool, i.e Delta T ~ 10-15 °C for coolant.

Move your 240mm rad from the bottom to the side, move res outside of case. Your biggest problem is the low profile fans, they cannot move enough air to properly cool the radiator.

Back