NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

NH-U9S You see quite a few of these used with this case, not as good of cooling as the NH C14 but the compatibility is much higher. Get a second fan for push/pull and you still get very good results.

Thanks for your reply :) Looking into some reviews right now, but the only things thats bothering me (as with all noctua products) is the color of their fans. Thinking about getting the NH-U9S and replacing the noctua fans with be quiet silent wings 2's. Gonna look now if their 92mm fans perform as well as their 120mm variant.

Edit 1: whats the consensus btw in the NH-U9S vs NH-D9L? I'm looking for the best noise/perf ratio.
Edit 2: will the Noctua NH C12P SE14 fit and leave room in the side panel to fit the radiator of my hybrid gpu? The NH C12P SE14 performs better than the NH-U9S

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply :) Looking into some reviews right now, but the only things thats bothering me (as with all noctua products) is the color of their fans. Thinking about getting the NH-U9S and replacing the noctua fans with be quiet silent wings 2's. Gonna look now if their 92mm fans perform as well as their 120mm variant.

Edit 1: whats the consensus btw in the NH-U9S vs NH-D9L? I'm looking for the best noise/perf ratio.
Edit 2: will the Noctua NH C12P SE14 fit and leave room in the side panel to fit the radiator of my hybrid gpu? The NH C12P SE14 performs better than the NH-U9S

Take a look here. My NCASE M1 mini-ITX PC build Guy has the Noctua NH-D9L with a 980Ti Hybrid.

The NH-C12 leaves room for the drive cage on the side bracket. I don't know if that means the GPU radiator will fit.

Having a heck of a time (no good so far) trying to get the connected cables from the MB between the MB and the Corsair PS... components listed in Sig below...

Take a look here. My NCASE M1 mini-ITX PC build Guy has the Noctua NH-D9L with a 980Ti Hybrid.

I've checked at your build log several times already :) Looks really good! Would you prefer your cooler over the NH-U9b?

The NH-C12 leaves room for the drive cage on the side bracket. I don't know if that means the GPU radiator will fit.

I also have no idea, I think it depends on how the CPU cooler is positioned. Think I'm going to do some further investigation. If someone has experience with the NH-C12, please let me know!

Does anyone know if there's enough space between the back of the motherboard and side panel to put heatsinks on my m.2 ssd? temps are averaging 60C right now and heatsinks would probably help a lot

PA151513.JPG
I put on the SSD 950 Pro two radiators height 6mm from ModDIY

Just so people know, I am using an overclocked 6600k and overclocked EVGA 1070 FTW and during burn in, I'm only pulling ~250watts from the wall so anyone questioning whether the SF450 is enough, it obviously is. I love the sf450, it makes no noise at all and the fans are basically never running. Top notch and pretty incredible.

Just so people know, I am using an overclocked 6600k and overclocked EVGA 1070 FTW and during burn in, I'm only pulling ~250watts from the wall so anyone questioning whether the SF450 is enough, it obviously is. I love the sf450, it makes no noise at all and the fans are basically never running. Top notch and pretty incredible.

Yeah I have to agree, I have the same CPU and a 1070 FE and I was really thinking I needed to get the SF600. The 450 has been a great PSU, really love how quiet it is.

Then I'd guess 450 is also more than enough for an evga hybrid and 6700k?

According to the spreadsheet the Noctua NH-L12 should fit on the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming with the heat pipes pointing upwards. Does it matter btw if it's mounted with the heat pipes point upwards, according to Noctua this is not the correct positioning of the CPU Cooler?

Also there is only 1 build log I could find with this motherboard and cpu cooler combo, but I can't tell from the build log if a GPU with backplate would fit... Looks like a really close call. Does anyone know if it'll fit? Maybe someone knows who wrote the comment in the spreadsheet?

Build log with this mobo + cpu cooler combo: here.

Making progress w/ the build... Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/Corsair SF600....
* Got the 24 pin atx power connector cable from MB to the Corsair PS ( Sheesh...that was difficult)
* Problem...now trying to connect the 8 pin atx 12v power cable to the cpu plug on the Corsair PS... It will NOT plug into the connector on the PSU...the little plastic clamp thing seems to be in the way of it going all the way into the PSU..... What the heck.... help...

Making progress w/ the build... Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/Corsair SF600....
* Got the 24 pin atx power connector cable from MB to the Corsair PS ( Sheesh...that was difficult)
* Problem...now trying to connect the 8 pin atx 12v power cable to the cpu plug on the Corsair PS... It will NOT plug into the connector on the PSU...the little plastic clamp thing seems to be in the way of it going all the way into the PSU..... What the heck.... help...

Think you have the cable reversed?.. Try same cable but swap ends.The clamp end goes onto the motherboard...

Think you have the cable reversed?.. Try same cable but swap ends.The clamp end goes onto the motherboard...

I had the same problem with a Silverstone power supply (the SX600-G). I had the cable reversed. One end had a wider latching clip than the other which made no difference at the motherboard socket, but prevented insertion (thank goodness) into the PS socket.

One of the last items to place on the case is the side panel with my 2 Vardar 120mm fans. I cannot get one of the fans' power cable connected to the fan header...the one that is right near the video card, as the 1080-FE is in the way. When I try to remove the video card to do that I can't get it out of it's PCI slot on the MB.... it's stuck in there. On the nVidia card there's a little tab that you can supposedly push to help remove the 1080, but it does no good regardless of which way I push it before trying to remove the card ....... just shoot me now...

One of the last items to place on the case is the side panel with my 2 Vardar 120mm fans. I cannot get one of the fans' power cable connected to the fan header...the one that is right near the video card, as the 1080-FE is in the way. When I try to remove the video card to do that I can't get it out of it's PCI slot on the MB.... it's stuck in there. On the nVidia card there's a little tab that you can supposedly push to help remove the 1080, but it does no good regardless of which way I push it before trying to remove the card ....... just shoot me now...

The end of the PCI-E slot has a clip that locks onto the end of the graphics card. You must push or pull on the clip to unlock the card so that it may be pulled from the slot.

Not entirely sure whether this is the issue..... but does this help?
Help.jpg

Well, could not get the 1080-FE out of the PCI slot, SO, I removed the Noctua C14 HSF from MB, & cleaned original Gelid paste off the cpu. With the HSF out of the way, now I could connect the side panel Vardar fan power cable to the lower-left fan header on the MB right next to the 1080. I then re-installed the Noctua C14 to the CPU. I am concerned with the Gelid paste re-application, as it seemed too thick to spread well....

I used a zip-tie to get the power cables from the MB to the PSU away from the Vardar fans (also put on the fan guards as well). I attached the side panel fan bracket w/ the Vardar's to the case. I then just put on the aluminum panels.

When I turn it on, should I have my new Win 10 containing flash drive in one of the USB3 ports, or do that after when I go into bios at boot-up to select initial boot drive?

Last edited:
Well, could not get the 1080-FE out of the PCI slot, SO, I removed the Noctua C14 HSF from MB, & cleaned original Gelid paste off the cpu. With the HSF out of the way, now I could connect the side panel Vardar fan power cable to the lower-left fan header on the MB right next to the 1080. I then re-installed the Noctua C14 to the CPU. I am concerned with the Gelid paste re-application, as it seemed too thick to spread well....

I used a zip-tie to get the power cables from the MB to the PSU away from the Vardar fans (also put on the fan guards as well). I attached the side panel fan bracket w/ the Vardar's to the case. I then just put on the aluminum panels.

When I turn it on, should I have my new Win 10 containing flash drive in one of the USB3 ports, or do that after when I go into bios at boot-up to select initial boot drive?

Nice work! So close now...

Dumb question...

Is it possible to put the power cable from my 1080-FE into the Corsair PS upside down, and if I did does it even make a difference?

Alright so I finally managed to put together a final solution to my loop. cutting all PETG pipes today. Holy smokes it's tight in this baby. A real challenge.

bBIhwPF.jpg

Looking good!!

How are you hooking up the small alphacool radiator?

Guys, I'm slightly confused.
What's the shortest GTX 1070 that would fit into an NCASE M1 v2 with the side HDD bracket in use with 2x 3.5" hard drives?
I've currently got the ASUS GTX 970 DirectCU Mini and I fancy an upgrade! :)

Looking good!!

How are you hooking up the small alphacool radiator?

Thanks man! It's a 92mm radiator that magically fits *exactly* in the rear of the M1. The loop goes res>pump>cpu>gpu>240>92>res with PETG 14mm OD straight pipes :D

Intriguing build.

Agreed! And, if you don't mind, please keep us apprised of these and other details.

Thank you man. :) I will keep you guys updated. I aim to make this the most sick looking M1 build out there. Only straight pipes, a lot of fittings and other shenanigans ;)

Guys, I'm slightly confused.
What's the shortest GTX 1070 that would fit into an NCASE M1 v2 with the side HDD bracket in use with 2x 3.5" hard drives?
I've currently got the ASUS GTX 970 DirectCU Mini and I fancy an upgrade! :)

There is only one GTX 1070 itx available and that is the Gigabyte, but it is not without fitment problems. At 131 mm wide you will need right angle pci power connector in order to attach the power connector and clear the side panel. The pcb is also very tall in the corner, but if you check the picture here it looks like the pcb will just fit.

Necere > I see lots of accessories available for purchase on the Ncases site, but I don't see any extra ssd brackets. Is there a way to order another set of SSD brackets as I have apparently lost my backup set when I moved to my new apartment.

Thanks again, been enjoying my case since I got in on the original pre-order.

Ok...finally ordered this. A silver case with black top. :D Now the waiting game starts....this SUCKS!

Necere > Is the Ncase font available?
(The one used on the front pannel or on the box.)
Nope, because it's not a font - I actually designed the logo myself.

Necere > I see lots of accessories available for purchase on the Ncases site, but I don't see any extra ssd brackets. Is there a way to order another set of SSD brackets as I have apparently lost my backup set when I moved to my new apartment.
Not sure if we have any available, but if you go through the contact link on the website w360 should get back to you within 2-3 days.

Back