NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Check the first post to find the compatibility list. It only fits one way and typically touches the first ram stick. The Noctua C14 is recommended over it for fitment purposes. (not the c14s). It'll 'work' though.
The dark rock tf however allows for the hdd cage to be used and is quieter.
People I need to know! Don't want to order a CPU cooler that wont fit on my mobo! Will the Dark Rock TF fit on an Asus Z170i Gaming motherboard? Not sure about GPU yet. Let me know!

I just made up my mind about the GPU I want and now I just need to determine the CPU cooler :)
You'd have to look at the compatibility list in the user created spreadsheet, however I doubt that particular motherboard has been paired with it. If you can't find anything there find a top down picture of your motherboard and compare the CPU socket, ram and all of the other components position to a motherboard that has been shown to fit it and go from there. I did this and it worked flawlessly. I have a gigabyte Z97 n wifi, you can compare to that. Also don't use the the compatibiliy checker on be quiets own wesite, its often wrong. It said my motherboard wasnt compatible but it fit like a glove.

I'm in the assembly process of this rig... Drinking too much coffee and using vile language.

On my C14 Noctua HSF, I removed the 2 stock fans and replaced in the lower position with a 120mm Noctua, set up to blow the air thru the radiator and toward the side panel where my 2 Vardar 120mm fans are.

I'm confused as to the placement of the Corsair 600 PSU and bracket...
* I understand which side faces in what direction. But how does the PSU and bracket get connected to the case? Pictures please if you could, as well as explanation.
* And does the PSU/bracket get attached/installed before or after the MB?
* And wow, these stock PSU cables are very stiff and very much in the way...
* Components listed below....

EDIT...Removed MB, installed PSU+bracket, tonight will see if MB can now go in.

Last edited:
The dark rock tf however allows for the hdd cage to be used and is quieter.

You'd have to look at the compatibility list in the user created spreadsheet, however I doubt that particular motherboard has been paired with it. If you can't find anything there find a top down picture of your motherboard and compare the CPU socket, ram and all of the other components position to a motherboard that has been shown to fit it and go from there. I did this and it worked flawlessly. I have a gigabyte Z97 n wifi, you can compare to that. Also don't use the the compatibiliy checker on be quiets own wesite, its often wrong. It said my motherboard wasnt compatible but it fit like a glove.

Just read in the spreadsheet that it wont work :( too bad... Don't like the noctua fans...

Good looking build. The silver fittings and black tubing look sharp. Your use of quick disconnect fittings is something that I've been contemplating. What's been your experience?

Mixed feelings really. They're expensive, somewhat bulky, have shitty QC (had two bad fittings out of the four I originally bought). They look great though, are convenient, making taking the rad out easy and make filling and draining the loop so much easier as well. If you've got $100 to blow give it a shot.

If you guys wanted some cheaper fittings that perform and look great check out Barrow fittings. I used them in my build and did not really notice a difference between them and bitspower besides the logo and the tubing was a bit easier to get on the fittings as well as the retention ring. Made assembly much easier. I used them on the gpu and res.
20150728_191312.jpg

Hey man. My build is looking very very similar to yours. A few questions. How did you paint your 92mm noctua fan? Just tape the fan blades and go wild? How good performance does a 92mm rad in the back give you compared to only a 240 in the bottom? looks dope af. ty

Hey buddy, no I just took a spray can and sprayed a few times all over that fan... And it was good enough for me ;)

To be honest, i have no idea of its performance compared to the 240 only.

But the whole build runs super nice and pretty quite. So i'm really happy about it.

Show me some pics of your build btw...

Cheers man.

So I use a Coolstream SE240 in the bottom of my build. I've seen a few builds with that rad but I'm worried about it not fitting with the GPU I/O panel touching it in the read. Anyone with proof that it works? (founders GTX 1080 with EK block and slim 15mm prolimatech fans)

Yeah it works.... But you'll need to trim down the front connectors if you want to use that radiator. Honestly - having used that radiator and removed it later for the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS, do yourself a favour and return it. Do a quick search or read back a few pages and you'll see others who have done the same.

I'm in the assembly process of this rig... Drinking too much coffee and using vile language.

On my C14 Noctua HSF, I removed the 2 stock fans and replaced in the lower position with a 120mm Noctua, set up to blow the air thru the radiator and toward the side panel where my 2 Vardar 120mm fans are.

I'm confused as to the placement of the Corsair 600 PSU and bracket...
* I understand which side faces in what direction. But how does the PSU and bracket get connected to the case? Pictures please if you could, as well as explanation.
* And does the PSU/bracket get attached/installed before or after the MB?
* And wow, these stock PSU cables are very stiff and very much in the way...
* Components listed below....

EDIT...Removed MB, installed PSU+bracket, tonight will see if MB can now go in.

For mounting the PSU and bracket:

There are some on the side which I can't photograph for you... just follow the holes in the bracket.

The screws that you'll need...

This cable routing worked well for me even with the stock cables:

CPU power across the top and then down behind the mobo / next to mobo wedged between PSU and 24pin
30183741081_4a55abc4e0.jpg

Cables run behind mobo like this...

Run the 24pin across the front face of the PSU and stuff all the excess down into the bottom

Finally: I found it easiest to mount the mobo first. If you mount the PSU first, the foam panel that covers the rear inputs wants to push the mobo towards the PSU. If the PSU is in the way, it's much harder to screw everything down whilst putting side pressure against the foam.

Last edited:
For mounting the PSU and bracket:

There are some on the side which I can't photograph for you... just follow the holes in the bracket.

The screws that you'll need...

This cable routing worked well for me even with the stock cables:

CPU power across the top and then down behind the mobo / next to mobo wedged between PSU and 24pin
30183741081_4a55abc4e0.jpg

Cables run behind mobo like this...

Run the 24pin across the front face of the PSU and stuff all the excess down into the bottom

Finally: I found it easiest to mount the mobo first. If you mount the PSU first, the foam panel that covers the rear inputs wants to push the mobo towards the PSU. If the PSU is in the way, it's much harder to screw everything down whilst putting side pressure against the foam.

Chapeau I probably have scanned or searched over it but since you have changed to a HW radiator what are your temps looking like under load? I saw you mentioned they dropped but didn't happen to see a number to go with it.

Chapeau I probably have scanned or searched over it but since you have changed to a HW radiator what are your temps looking like under load? I saw you mentioned they dropped but didn't happen to see a number to go with it.

Hard to say - Excitement got the better of me, so rather than spend time testing I went ahead and swapped out my radiator, installed taller case feet and immediately OC'ed my CPU and GPU.
Subjectively I say around 7-8 degrees.

What I noticed immediately however was the volume of air coming out of the bottom where before there was basically none. Secondary to that, I had to run the fans basically at full speed with the EK which meant the system was noisy as hell.
I'd say I get about the same airflow that was coming out of the EK at max with about 1100rpm with the HW radiator. (The fans run at 2100rpm max)

Hard to say - Excitement got the better of me, so rather than spend time testing I went ahead and swapped out my radiator, installed taller case feet and immediately OC'ed my CPU and GPU.
Subjectively I say around 7-8 degrees.

What I noticed immediately however was the volume of air coming out of the bottom where before there was basically none. Secondary to that, I had to run the fans basically at full speed with the EK which meant the system was noisy as hell.
I'd say I get about the same airflow that was coming out of the EK at max with about 1100rpm with the HW radiator. (The fans run at 2100rpm max)

Cool, I was just curious because I have always used HW rads for my builds and when I decide to move from air to water on this little box just wanted to see rough numbers on what to expect.

The slim fans are what have me trying to determine what wattage I will be able to dissipate considering I have always used high static pressure fans in the past.

Thanks for the information.

Forgive me if this has been asked, but..

Can the SF600 handle a 6700K at 4.6GHz @ 1.32v? I can do 4.5GHz @ 1.25v if need be. And paired with a GTX Titan X Pascal @ 2100MHz? Thanks.

Yeah it works.... But you'll need to trim down the front connectors if you want to use that radiator. Honestly - having used that radiator and removed it later for the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS, do yourself a favour and return it. Do a quick search or read back a few pages and you'll see others who have done the same.

thanks. Yeah I know :( It actually does fit witht he front I/O panel. It's tight af but it fits.

It'll run a test with it. Might switch

Unfortunately I found out that the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF wont fit on the Asus Z170i Pro gaming motherboard (with GPU) and the CPU cooler i'm now looking into is the Phanteks PH-TC14CS. Does anyone have an idea if it'll fit with this mobo and ofcourse a GPU?

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't fit if I just make sure I use low RAM types.

Someone (named Malik) already installed this CPU cooler + motherboard + GPU btw, see:

modding-malik-m1-05_t.jpg

Looking for some advice on GPU clearance. I currently have an MSI 980Ti Golden and I'm not sure it will fit. It has a width of 141mm, which is over the 140mm limit, but on the spreadsheet I see reports of other 141mm wide cards fitting. I have 90-degree power connectors so that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone have any first hand experience with a card this size? Or should I start searching for a 1080 :)

Unfortunately I found out that the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF wont fit on the Asus Z170i Pro gaming motherboard (with GPU) and the CPU cooler i'm now looking into is the Phanteks PH-TC14CS. Does anyone have an idea if it'll fit with this mobo and ofcourse a GPU?

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't fit if I just make sure I use low RAM types.

Someone (named Malik) already installed this CPU cooler + motherboard + GPU btw, see:

modding-malik-m1-05_t.jpg
Far as I know the Phanteks should fit just fine. IMO I'd still try find a C14 if you're in the US, and just change the fan to whatever you want.. Remembering the C14 sits close to the side, that you can forgo 140mm fan altogether and run 2x120mm on the side instead and don't use a bottom fan.

Awesome! I suppose I'd be pushing it with the SF450, lol?
To be honest it'd work. The Titan pulls 250w max typically, the CPU itself <100 OC'd. But I'd go for the SF600 with the titan. I have a 1070 with the sf450, but it uses almost 100w less power.

Hello everyone! Would it be possible to use a Noctua C14S in the M1 with 2 slim 140mm fans such as Cryorig XT140 in push pull? I ask because after looking through various threads, NCase site gallery and all the PCPartpicker builds, I can't find anyone who has attempted this.

The changelog states that as of v4,
  • Fan bracket mounts changed to allow 2mm of additional travel (allows 140mm fan w/120mm mounting holes to be used alongside a 120mm fan)
So I'm wondering if one could use the C14S with one of the XT140 mounted on the bracket alongside a 120mm fan on the PSU facing side (NF-F12)

Also, if this setup might work, would it be preferable to using a C14 with 25mm fans such as NF-F12 or XF140 mounted on the bracket?

Far as I know the Phanteks should fit just fine. IMO I'd still try find a C14 if you're in the US, and just change the fan to whatever you want.. Remembering the C14 sits close to the side, that you can forgo 140mm fan altogether and run 2x120mm on the side instead and don't use a bottom fan.

Thanks man :) Think Im just gonna pill the trigger and order the Phantek :) C14 is too expensive here and too much of a hassle. I prefer the phantek with two 140mm fans over the C14 with two 120mm.

Next questions!
1. I go with the phanteks, will there be enough room in the HDD bracket area to fit the radiator + fan of a EVGA 1070 hybrid?

2. If it fits, should the fan of the hybrid pull air from the case to the outside (cooling the radiator with 'warmer' air) or should this fan also pull fresh air from outside like the phanteks CPU cooler? Because this way there is only fans pulling air into the case.

Hi,
I recently picked up an Ncase M1 case and am slowly getting the bits together for a build and am after a bit of advice. Rather than getting a new mobo/cpu/ram, I've decided to pick up a second hand Impact VII and use my 4690k. I was wanting to fit an EK predator 240, but this looks like a very tight fit; has anyone fitted a 140mm AIO into the M1? I was thinking that the new EK predator 140 might be an option.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
I recently picked up an Ncase M1 case and am slowly getting the bits together for a build and am after a bit of advice. Rather than getting a new mobo/cpu/ram, I've decided to pick up a second hand Impact VII and use my 4690k. I was wanting to fit an EK predator 240, but this looks like a very tight fit; has anyone fitted a 140mm AIO into the M1? I was thinking that the new EK predator 140 might be an option.

Thanks

I haven't seen it done but I would say "probably" yes. The EK is 5.59" wide and the fan mounting bracket is 5". So you are looking at just over 1/2" wider. Use something like this to mount it to the frame Bgears Fan Adapter 140mm-BK 140mm to 120mm Fan Adapter for 140mm fan install on 120mm chassis screw holes, Black-Newegg.com There are 2 sets of mounting holes for the m1 fan bracket, you will probably need the lower set and there is quite a bit of adjustment side to side.

You will get 2 schools of thought on the fan orientation. The case was designed to intake through the side and exhaust out of the top. I have my 240mm radiator mounted this way because I have filtered intake, positive pressure and a dust free case. There are people worried about their motherboard temps and exhaust out of the side. Honestly I have never seen my motherboard temps over 50C.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Would it be possible to use a Noctua C14S in the M1 with 2 slim 140mm fans such as Cryorig XT140 in push pull? I ask because after looking through various threads, NCase site gallery and all the PCPartpicker builds, I can't find anyone who has attempted this.

The changelog states that as of v4,
  • Fan bracket mounts changed to allow 2mm of additional travel (allows 140mm fan w/120mm mounting holes to be used alongside a 120mm fan)
So I'm wondering if one could use the C14S with one of the XT140 mounted on the bracket alongside a 120mm fan on the PSU facing side (NF-F12)

Also, if this setup might work, would it be preferable to using a C14 with 25mm fans such as NF-F12 or XF140 mounted on the bracket?

It occurred to me that even if NF-F12 could be mounted besides the XT140 on the side fan bracket, the C14S would block it anyway. So I guess that answers my query partly. There doesn't seem to be a good way of making C14S work in this case it appears, which is a shame as C14 has been discontinued and Dark Rock TF has potential compatibility issues due to its heat pipe design.

Any updates when the current batch ships? I received an email last week saying it would ship between the 10-12th and to check PayPal for the tracking? Thanks

Any updates when the current batch ships? I received an email last week saying it would ship between the 10-12th and to check PayPal for the tracking? Thanks

The email that you should have received says that tracking will be sent to you approx. one week after it ships. It specifically states to look out for tracking info before October 19.

The email that you should have received says that tracking will be sent to you approx. one week after it ships. It specifically states to look out for tracking info before October 19.

You're right. I should have read more closely!

"The current estimated date for getting the tracking number(s) is before OCT 19."

Does anyone know if there's enough space between the back of the motherboard and side panel to put heatsinks on my m.2 ssd? temps are averaging 60C right now and heatsinks would probably help a lot

Idle temps around 27-31, max load 71,69,75,69,72,67. Think gpu is too much for this what do you guys think of those temps?

Looks good - nice to see another X99 monoblock build :)

Are you planning on adding another radiator?
What/how quiet are the fans on the bottom? I tried some slim scythe's and they were noisy ( to me at least).

Does anyone know if there's enough space between the back of the motherboard and side panel to put heatsinks on my m.2 ssd? temps are averaging 60C right now and heatsinks would probably help a lot

I don't know the answer, but I am interested in this too. The heatsinks I have found are 2 or 3 mm tall. I recommend measuring the distance from the outside of the side panel to the top of the SSD (through one of the holes in the panel) and then subtract 1.5 mm for the panel thickness. The remainder is the maximum thickness the heating (plus any adhesive) can be.

Last edited:
I received my Titan X Pascal today.. I was hoping I could get by with air, but now I know that's not possible. With 55% fan speed, it hit 88C. Some of that could be attributed to a bad paste job, though.

The card itself is a monster. My 1080 SC's best GPU score for Firestrike is 24500ish. This card with +200 core (2060mhz) and +300 mem (anything higher and my GPU score goes down) hits a consistent 33000 GPU score.

I don't know the answer, but I am interested in this too. The headlines I have found are 2 or 3 mm tall. I recommend measuring the distance from the outside of the side panel to the top of the SSD (through one of the holes in the panel) and then subtract 1.5 mm for the panel thickness. The remainder is the maximum thickness the heating (plus any adhesive) can be.

Is 60 too high for an ssd? Mine are similar but I guess it just hadn't occurred to me that this was an issue...

I think I saw somewhere that someone was sticking thermal pads onto their M.2 and directly using the side panel as the sink with good results....

What kinda of CPU cooler can you recommend me to combine with an EVGA hybrid GPU? I need space on the side panel for mounting the radiator + fan of the GPU and don't see any of my initial CPU coolers options still work.

- Noctua NH C14 -> won't work with my mobo (asus Z170I) nor with the GPU radiotor
- Phanteks PH-TC14CS -> won't work with the GPU radiator
- Be quiet Dark Rock TF -> won't work with my mobo (asus Z170I) nor with the GPU radiotor

Now I'm wondering if there are any top flow coolers left that I can consider... Or should I start looking into AIO cpu coolers, which I've tried to avoid because of the noise they make.

Any recommendations for a good CPU cooler are very welcome.

What kinda of CPU cooler can you recommend me to combine with an EVGA hybrid GPU? I need space on the side panel for mounting the radiator + fan of the GPU and don't see any of my initial CPU coolers options still work.

- Noctua NH C14 -> won't work with my mobo (asus Z170I) nor with the GPU radiotor
- Phanteks PH-TC14CS -> won't work with the GPU radiator
- Be quiet Dark Rock TF -> won't work with my mobo (asus Z170I) nor with the GPU radiotor

Now I'm wondering if there are any top flow coolers left that I can consider... Or should I start looking into AIO cpu coolers, which I've tried to avoid because of the noise they make.

Any recommendations for a good CPU cooler are very welcome.

NH-U9S You see quite a few of these used with this case, not as good of cooling as the NH C14 but the compatibility is much higher. Get a second fan for push/pull and you still get very good results.

Back