NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I know you just posted this....... but whats the pump like on the Apogee Drive II?
- Noise?
- Speed control?

I was always interested in doing this but the unit is hard to come by in Australia.

It's definitely audible at max RPM but around 2000-3000 it's pretty quiet. Have it on a nice fan curve now and can't hear it over the fans at load.

I have the Apogee Drive II and I think it is great. I have mine running at 100% and can't hear it at all. It is PWM controlled, but I have it hooked to a fan controller.

Awesome!

I'm debating whether I should add another 240 rad or a little 92mm on the rear panel. However, I'd need to figure out what to do with my pump situation as even the little pump I have now isn't likely to fit with the bigger rad.
The 92mm would be ideal as it wouldn't block everything from view and it would be significantly easier. Whether it would improve noise enough remains to be seen.
The cost of entry is low enough that I might give this a try when I can find someone with that Hardware Labs unit in stock!

Does anyone else have two SSDs (held together with the included bracket) mounted where the optical drive should go? I have 2 850 Pros there and I cannot get the front panel to close completely (either the left or right push pins are secure, but not both). Is this normal?

So promising - loving the cables. Perfect length and so organised!
- Where does the USB cable go?

What's the rear fan/res about?
- Doubling up on your pump res?

Thanks! I will probably be sacrificing my front USB for cleaner looks and just remove it. I have a windowed panel and seeing a bulging cable will just agitate me.
Sorry I meant to say fan/rad. There'll be a 92mm rad and fan on the rear but it's currently being blocked by the height of my RAM so I'll be downsizing to EK heat spreaders instead.

Does anyone else have two SSDs (held together with the included bracket) mounted where the optical drive should go? I have 2 850 Pros there and I cannot get the front panel to close completely (either the left or right push pins are secure, but not both). Is this normal?

No, it should work with two 7 mm thick SSD drives.

At each end of the bracket, there are 4 holes. The 4 holes at each end are comprised of two pairs of holes, each pair with slightly different spacing. Make sure you are using the pair of holes that are closest together. At least that's what I remember. I can't find a high-resolution photo of the stacking brackets anywhere.

I actually have a 9.5mm Samsung Spinpoint and a 7mm OCZ SSD mounted there, 2 7mm SSDs should fit like this.

fijar-2-SSD-frontal+xs.jpg

I actually have a 9.5mm Samsung Spinpoint and a 7mm OCZ SSD mounted there, 2 7mm SSDs should fit like this.

I've got it the exact same as you including the bracket except the connectors are pointing downwards. But even without any wires connected, the front aluminum panel doesn't properly close over it for me. It will close, but not tightly so if a slight amount of pressure is applied, then the front panel would come off.

The front panel is literally pushing on the outer SSD for me and I have to press a little hard to get the front panel on. Do you have this issue?

Thanks to both you and Qrash for helping me out.

I've got it the exact same as you including the bracket except the connectors are pointing downwards. But even without any wires connected, the front aluminum panel doesn't properly close over it for me. It will close, but not tightly so if a slight amount of pressure is applied, then the front panel would come off.

The front panel is literally pushing on the outer SSD for me and I have to press a little hard to get the front panel on. Do you have this issue?

Thanks to both you and Qrash for helping me out.

That was actually a picture I found in this thread, here is mine.

87750ee2e7.jpg

Front panel closes with no problem, it is very close to the SSD but it does close and latch securely.

Are your SATA cables possibly interfering?

That was actually a picture I found in this thread, here is mine.

Front panel closes with no problem, it is very close to the SSD but it does close and latch securely.

Are your SATA cables possibly interfering?

Even if I take out the power and data cables it still doesn't close properly...

Should have done this in the first place, but here are my photos:

BljSE8d.jpg
IG0TrCH.jpg

Ca42GUL.jpg

I believe this was addressed in later revisions but rev 1 of the case doesn't have the correct spacing to have the front panel close properly if I recall correctly.. I could be wrong but I'm sure it was something like this. What rev of the case do you have?

I believe this was addressed in later revisions but rev 1 of the case doesn't have the correct spacing to have the front panel close properly if I recall correctly.. I could be wrong but I'm sure it was something like this. What rev of the case do you have?

V5.0. Also should have included this before. Thanks to both you and Brenex for trying to assist too.

This is my 2nd NCase and I can't recall if the first one was V1 or not since it was purchased second hand. I will try to look for additional brackets and see if there are any spacing differences.

V5.0. Also should have included this before. Thanks to both you and Brenex for trying to assist too.

This is my 2nd NCase and I can't recall if the first one was V1 or not since it was purchased second hand. I will try to look for additional brackets and see if there are any spacing differences.
It's possible the bracket you're using is from the V1 then. Look around and see if you have another set, because yours looks like mine, and I couldn't mount both in the front (I have a V1)

If it's a V1, you should have it specified on the little plate at the back next to the power connector:
05.jpg

IMG_20160917_133853.jpg
After moving back into my M1 this was my build as I lost my brackets for my U9B cooler... Ended up getting a good deal on a D9L (thanks!), and now below. Super super quiet, even under full load. Reasonable temps for 4.2ghz with this noise level. ~60 degrees under full CPU load.
Excuse the blurred pic/potato camera shot. Only part that annoys me is my colour scheme haha. Or lack there of. A gold board with blue RAM and noctua fans.. XD

IMG_20160922_201528~2.jpg

That looks like the same bracket as mine, I am thinking that the bends in your panel are not quite the same as mine. Thus not allowing it to close fully.

Another question, is there any reason you can't mount them on the inside of the frame?

I have a V1 and in order to get them both to fit, I made my own brackets out of 4 pieces of plastic that I drilled holes in (the plastic was from a handle from off of a bucket of ice cream :p) I posted pictures of this waaay back in the thread. It was nice that I used 4 pieces because even though my measurements weren't quite right, I was able to shift one SSD down, which caused the plastic strips to rotate, bringing the SSDs closer together, and then I was able to securely attach the front panel.

V1 here as well, I've got an optical drive in the optical bay so I have 2x SSDs stacked together hanging on the inside of that plate.
Though I have been hunting around for a m.2 SSD so I can get that down to one. Never did like the idea of putting two heat generators so close to each other. (one is a 840 EVO, they aren't exactly cool)

So I've been out of the ncase/SFF loop since I built a V1 a few years back when they were first released. At the time, I bought a v1.1 Silverstone 450W gold PSU and did a fan mod to it.

I'm currently in need of another SFF power supply. It doesn't need to be super high quality (or modular) but if the newer 450W SFF offerings are a compelling upgrade over my old one in terms of sound/quietness I would buy one and re-purpose my modded silverstone for the 'low-end' work. It looks like both Silverstone and Corsair have newer offerings. Is there a reason for me to buy one of these to replace my current setup? Or should I just save money and go with a 'low-end oem' version for my small low power PC? I would be buying a (minimum) 450W either way.

I don't think I need a 600W unit as my 450W unit doesn't seem like it has caused any harm to my 4770k and GTX 780 superclock setup, but I haven't overclocked the CPU either.

Discuss.

Appreciate all the help everyone! I located 4 more brackets and still had the same issue so I took a note from Frazhna's fix and basically just velcro strapped the SSDs together and put a big thermal pad in between them. Gave it the old shake test and neither SSD came off. I'll monitor the temps when the system is done and see if there is a major difference, but I doubt there will be. The front case cover fits perfectly now and since the ghetto mod is not visible nor does it look that bad, I think it's fine.

Result:

OPO89m6.jpg
57PElj3.jpg

The reason I wanted the SSDs in that particular location instead of being on the inside near the PSU is that I'll need as clearance as possible for 2 120mm rads for each of the AIOs in the system (one for the CPU and one for the GPU). Don't want the SSDs to be in the way nor the SATA power/data cables. Thanks again to everyone for the quick replies!

I actually didn't pay attention enough to the first photo from rfarmer with the dual Samsung SSDs (840 EVO it looks like?) but it looks like one side of the screws are attached to the ODD bracket thing instead of a standalone bracket. I don't even know how it was accomplished since there are no screw holes in the position you have them in (from what I can see), and my SSDs stick out too much to even hit that height.

Last edited:
So I've been out of the ncase/SFF loop since I built a V1 a few years back when they were first released. At the time, I bought a v1.1 Silverstone 450W gold PSU and did a fan mod to it.

I'm currently in need of another SFF power supply. It doesn't need to be super high quality (or modular) but if the newer 450W SFF offerings are a compelling upgrade over my old one in terms of sound/quietness I would buy one and re-purpose my modded silverstone for the 'low-end' work. It looks like both Silverstone and Corsair have newer offerings. Is there a reason for me to buy one of these to replace my current setup? Or should I just save money and go with a 'low-end oem' version for my small low power PC? I would be buying a (minimum) 450W either way.

I don't think I need a 600W unit as my 450W unit doesn't seem like it has caused any harm to my 4770k and GTX 780 superclock setup, but I haven't overclocked the CPU either.

Discuss.

I find my Corsair sf450 to be quieter than both my Silverstone psus. Version 2.0 on the 450 and 1.1 on the 600w. They have a slight whine which appears to be apparent over their psus and also the fans aren't the quietest and for me anyway in low rpms have an odd bearing noise.

My sf450 barely spins up at all even playing a game with my rig in my sig at full load. No noticeable coil noise either. Was worth it for me but I'm a silence nut. Lol.

I also have a SF450 and it is extremely quiet, I had to pull the side panel off because I didn't think the fan was spinning at all.

I can vouch for the SF600... totally silent. Can't even tell when the fan is on. Lucky I can see the corsair sticker spinning around - but even then it's barely ticking over.

I can vouch for the SF600... totally silent. Can't even tell when the fan is on. Lucky I can see the corsair sticker spinning around - but even then it's barely ticking over.
That's a good! Thanks for reporting. I'm a Seasonic fan...

BTW: anyone with an ATX passive PSU? I could get one for a reasonable price (Seasonic Platinum 400W from old series), even if I have a SF600 on the shelf.

I have the Silverstone 600 SFX and so far it's good. Non of the reported problems that others have mentioned.

That's a good! Thanks for reporting. I'm a Seasonic fan...

BTW: anyone with an ATX passive PSU? I could get one for a reasonable price (Seasonic Platinum 400W from old series), even if I have a SF600 on the shelf.
Do you feel lucky?

Both silent Seasonics I tried had annoying coil whine. It's a known issue for the series, but a lucky few got their juice and silence too. The Rosewill Silent Night 500 (Super Flower) is a much safer, quieter bet.

But putting a passive cooled PSU in the M1 is probably not the best idea - there's more fun ways to spread the thermal load.

I just can't imagine using an ATX PSU in this case, it just limits component choices by too much.

I was just wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the long, dense USB3 cable for the front? I have it coiled once under the psu but it's really not the most forgiving cable.

I'm in the process of finalizing my parts list, and I'm caught up on the video card and cpu cooler.

I would like them both to be liquid cooled. So my thought was 1080 hybrid for the GPU, which comes with a 120mm radiator/fan, as well as a blower cooling system so it doesn't blow heat inside the already tiny case.

That leaves me with the CPU cooler, and I originally wanted the Corsair H105, however, that is a 240mm fan/radiator setup, and I am unsure if I would be able to also have the 120mm fit from the GPU. I know the M1 page says it has 4 120 fan slots available, but since I don't have any experience with this case, I was wondering if anyone could chime in on whether or not fitting both the 240mm cpu fans/radiator and the 120mm gpu fan/radiator is possible.

I know I can just open up the M1 and have a looksie, but without the other parts, I don't know if I can come to any solid conclusion. I could do non-AIO component coolers, but this would be my first foray into custom blocks, not sure the M1 would be the best starting point, but I'm not afraid to get into it if the price-point and results are there, but I've read that it's pretty pricey.

I'm in the process of finalizing my parts list, and I'm caught up on the video card and cpu cooler.

I would like them both to be liquid cooled. So my thought was 1080 hybrid for the GPU, which comes with a 120mm radiator/fan, as well as a blower cooling system so it doesn't blow heat inside the already tiny case.

That leaves me with the CPU cooler, and I originally wanted the Corsair H105, however, that is a 240mm fan/radiator setup, and I am unsure if I would be able to also have the 120mm fit from the GPU. I know the M1 page says it has 4 120 fan slots available, but since I don't have any experience with this case, I was wondering if anyone could chime in on whether or not fitting both the 240mm cpu fans/radiator and the 120mm gpu fan/radiator is possible.

I know I can just open up the M1 and have a looksie, but without the other parts, I don't know if I can come to any solid conclusion. I could do non-AIO component coolers, but this would be my first foray into custom blocks, not sure the M1 would be the best starting point, but I'm not afraid to get into it if the price-point and results are there, but I've read that it's pretty pricey.

You won't fit a 240mm rad and the hybrid in there. You'd fit the hybrid and a single 120mm rad (seen on here somewhere...). Custom water cooling in the M1 requires a fair amount of planning, especially if you're new. IMO for me personally, air is still a preference...

You could consider the H105 for CPU, and go for an EVGA ACX 3.0 SC for the 1080. I'm very happy with my 1070 with that cooler. Very quiet even under full load, but as it's an internal exhaust system, you'd have to consider how you setup your H105. Intake means the CPU will generally stay cooler but internal temp may suffer, having as exhaust does mean the heat from the GPU will leave via the rad, but that's not necessarily a bad thing? But your CPU temps may suffer..

What CPU are you planning? 6700k presumably?

post-230329-0-36432900-1432370517.jpg

Here is one with 2 X 120 AIOs, the other 2 120mm fan slots are below the gpu and no room to mount an AIO there. Two do fit pretty well and unless you are overclocking your cpu quite a bit a single 120 AIO will cool your cpu fine.

Last edited:
I finally got my FrozenQ res a few days ago, looks great and came complete with all the plugs and screws. I won't be able to use it yet since my case is still in CA
ssss.jpg

Could you please share info about the total cost? May be create a pcpart picker ?I am Still confuse about how Much it cos to go the watercooled way.

Pricing information for the liquid cooling components in the subject computer (21278) follows. As you can see, liquid cooling components can add signicant cost to the total price of a system.
  • Component . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Part . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Price per Part . . . Total Price
  • Reservoir
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance cylindrical 60mm x 30mm . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.99
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance top with fill port . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19.99
  • Pump
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance PMP-300 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39.99
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance Pump Reservoir Base for PMP-300 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .19.99
  • CPU Block . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance CPU-390I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 79.99
  • GPU Block . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EKWB EK-FC1080 GTX - Nickel (short top) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 125.49
  • 120 Radiator (side fan bracket) . . . Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 120 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 59.99
  • 240 Radiator (bottom) . . . . . . . . . .DarkSide 2x120 17-FPI 27mm thick, LP240 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40.50
  • Fittings, Koolance
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Compression 10mm x 13mm . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 x 4.49 . . . . . . . 13.47
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rotary Elbow Compression 10mm x 13mm . . . . 9 x 7.49 . . . . . . . 67.41
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Swiveling Elbow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 x 9.99 . . . . . . . 49.95
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Swiveling Elbow (low profile) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 x 9.99 . . . . . . . 19.98
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Coupling Adapter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 x 2.49 . . . . . . . .4.98
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Swiveling 45-Degree . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.99
  • Fitting, Alphacool
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90 degree female to female adapter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4.99
  • Tubing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT (clear) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26.95
  • Coolant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance 702 Liquid Coolant (UV Red) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14.99
  • Total (U.S. Dollars) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $605.64

Pricing information for the liquid cooling components in the subject computer (21278) follows. As you can see, liquid cooling components can add signicant cost to the total price of a system.
  • Component . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Part . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Price per Part . . . Total Price
  • Reservoir
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance cylindrical 60mm x 30mm . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.99
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance top with fill port . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19.99
  • Pump
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance PMP-300 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39.99
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance Pump Reservoir Base for PMP-300 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .19.99
  • CPU Block . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance CPU-390I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 79.99
  • GPU Block . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EKWB EK-FC1080 GTX - Nickel (short top) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 125.49
  • 120 Radiator (side fan bracket) . . . Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 120 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 59.99
  • 240 Radiator (bottom) . . . . . . . . . .DarkSide 2x120 17-FPI 27mm thick, LP240 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40.50
  • Fittings, Koolance
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Compression 10mm x 13mm . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 x 4.49 . . . . . . . 13.47
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rotary Elbow Compression 10mm x 13mm . . . . 9 x 7.49 . . . . . . . 67.41
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Swiveling Elbow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 x 9.99 . . . . . . . 49.95
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Swiveling Elbow (low profile) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 x 9.99 . . . . . . . 19.98
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Coupling Adapter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 x 2.49 . . . . . . . .4.98
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Swiveling 45-Degree . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.99
  • Fitting, Alphacool
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90 degree female to female adapter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4.99
  • Tubing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT (clear) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26.95
  • Coolant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Koolance 702 Liquid Coolant (UV Red) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14.99
  • Total (U.S. Dollars) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $605.64

WEll done, I spent $880 on my watercooling components.

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I think I'll go for the 2 x120mm cpu/gpu coolers and call it good. That should be plenty of cooling for the two parts.

I'm trying to avoid a GPU that blows air into the case, if at all possible.

In other news (and please let me know if this isn't allowed to be posted here and I'll remove it) I just recently created a Discord server for M1 owners and those with a M1 interest, its pretty new and not fully set up yet, but is still quite functional for what it needs to be.
Invite Link: https://discord.gg/HRWdxwx

Discord is a chat/VoiP service, aimed at gamers, that offers the same features as many of the others available (teamspeak/skype/vent/etc), while also offering complete privacy for your IP address and personal information. It is completely free, no ads or intrusive 3rd party software, and a very minor draw on your system. There's even a web client if you dont want to download any software. For more information check out their main site: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

My main thought here is to offer an area for people with questions to freely chat in a quick flow, and for M1 users to have a space to discuss builds and build options.

I would be looking for a few admins/mods (preferably some of the regulars from this thread) to help run the place (not that it will be that busy or overrun). I have roles created for each version of the M1 so people will know who to ask about what (you can have multiple roles if you own or are knowledgeable about more than one version).

If anyone is interested, click the invite link and come say hi, check out the place.

Lastly, if there is already a discord server for the M1, AWESOME, please let me know where I can find it.

You won't fit a 240mm rad and the hybrid in there. You'd fit the hybrid and a single 120mm rad (seen on here somewhere...). Custom water cooling in the M1 requires a fair amount of planning, especially if you're new. IMO for me personally, air is still a preference...

You could consider the H105 for CPU, and go for an EVGA ACX 3.0 SC for the 1080. I'm very happy with my 1070 with that cooler. Very quiet even under full load, but as it's an internal exhaust system, you'd have to consider how you setup your H105. Intake means the CPU will generally stay cooler but internal temp may suffer, having as exhaust does mean the heat from the GPU will leave via the rad, but that's not necessarily a bad thing? But your CPU temps may suffer..

What CPU are you planning? 6700k presumably?
Sorry didn't see the Q at the end here. Yea, 6700k was my aim.

post-230329-0-36432900-1432370517.jpg

Here is one with 2 X 120 AIOs, the other 2 120mm fan slots are below the gpu and no room to mount an AIO there. Two do fit pretty well and unless you are overclocking your cpu quite a bit a single 120 AIO will cool your cpu fine.
This is good to hear, I think the 2x 120's will be a great fit for what I'm building for, and should keep temps cool as I shouldn't be overclocking too much.

I was just wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the long, dense USB3 cable for the front? I have it coiled once under the psu but it's really not the most forgiving cable.

I cut mine up.. pretty simple to just shorten it from the middle. The bundles inside are all colour coded and separated so there's basically no way to mess up. The protective jacket pulls of fairly easily.

I'm attempting to mount the Noctua CH 14 HSF onto the i7-6700k on the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard.The backplate is mounted on the backside of the MB. The 2 crescent-moon shaped brackets are mounted to the screws that came through the backplate to the topside of the MB.

There are no holes on the brackets to attach the 2 mounting screws attached to the CPU block of the CH 14.

HUH?

Last edited:
Back