NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

If I have the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Corsair SF600 PS, the 1080-FE, and will set up the Corsair H100i V1 AIO to exhaust the air, then what fan should I get and place it where?

(just starting the assembly of the rig)...

Thx.

TBH, I believe all this info can be searched in this massive thread, or google....

However I'm bored, so I'll list out all the fan slots, and what I'd do in your situation:
  1. Side front - 120mm push exhaust of H100. Exhaust because I prefer not to blow hot air from rads onto motherboard components (ram, vrm, etc)
  2. Side rear - 120mm push exhaust of H100. Exhaust hot air out of case instead of blowing onto PSU
  3. Rear - 92mm slim intake fan (optional)
  4. Bottom front - fan optional / unnecessary, but if you want: 92mm fan if using bottom rear 3.5" HDD, or 120mm intake fan, or just a shroud to funnel air into stock blower
  5. Bottom rear - no fan (obviously) if using 3.5" HDD, a 120mm regular thickness fan will be directly blocked by the video card, maybe a 120mm slim intake

People I need to know, will the EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid fit in the Ncase M1!? Really hoped I could get this card. Looking at the pictures of the card I would say that the card would not fit, but according to the specs (just over 5inch) it should. Someone that knows more??

Specs of the 1070 Hybrid.

equalme... Thx for input.

Everyone, thoughts on what equalme just stated in response to my post (#20872)?

I agree with equalme, just use the fans as intake, that is why the filters are there. Positive pressure so no dust and I have never seen my motherboard temps over 50C.

People I need to know, will the EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid fit in the Ncase M1!? Really hoped I could get this card. Looking at the pictures of the card I would say that the card would not fit, but according to the specs (just over 5inch) it should. Someone that knows more??

We really need a sticky on this. Maybe we could get it edited onto the first post?

Unfortunately, it looks like it won't fit. Maybe with 90 degree connectors it could, but not out of the box it seems.

NCASE support: Why do not you answer me??
W360 replies to support emails in batches a couple times a week. He's only one man, and has a lot of other things going on, so you'll just need to be patient.

We really need a sticky on this. Maybe we could get it edited onto the first post?

Unfortunately, it looks like it won't fit. Maybe with 90 degree connectors it could, but not out of the box it seems.
I'll ask w360 to add it.

TBH, I believe all this info can be searched in this massive thread, or google....

However I'm bored, so I'll list out all the fan slots, and what I'd do in your situation:
  1. Side front - 120mm push exhaust of H100. Exhaust because I prefer not to blow hot air from rads onto motherboard components (ram, vrm, etc)
  2. Side rear - 120mm push exhaust of H100. Exhaust hot air out of case instead of blowing onto PSU
  3. Rear - 92mm slim intake fan (optional)
  4. Bottom front - fan optional / unnecessary, but if you want: 92mm fan if using bottom rear 3.5" HDD, or 120mm intake fan, or just a shroud to funnel air into stock blower
  5. Bottom rear - no fan (obviously) if using 3.5" HDD, a 120mm regular thickness fan will be directly blocked by the video card, maybe a 120mm slim intake

Nanook... I'm glad you were bored, (sorry I didn't search it...), and I appreciate the info.

My only internal storage unit is a 1TB SSD. So, only components in the case are the MB, the Corsair H100i V1 AIO, the Corsair SF600 PS, the nVidia 1080-FE, the SSD, and a sh*tload of cabling all over the place.

Your #'s 1 and 2.... like that exhaust idea.
#3- 92mm slim intake sounds good... top brand for that?
#'s 4 and 5... I'm not in love with the idea of fans down at the bottom, below the vid card.

Any other thoughts? Thx again.

My only internal storage unit is a 1TB SSD. So, only components in the case are the MB, the Corsair H100i V1 AIO, the Corsair SF600 PS, the nVidia 1080-FE, the SSD, and a sh*tload of cabling all over the place.
You could always just order customer cables to reduce the mess.

Regarding fans, it's hard to go wrong with Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM

My case just arrived! I'm shocked at how quickly it got here. I thought it was supposed to take 3 weeks to a month. I ordered it on July 26th or so, a day before the next batch was supposed to ship. It shipped on August 2nd and it just arrived on August 11th on the East Coast of the US. I went with the cheaper air shipping option. Very happy. I still haven't picked it up from my building. I can't wait to transfer Project Pulsar from my SG13 into the NCase M1 and post some pictures and thoughts. :)

Hey all. Been watching this thread since January. Got my Ncase M1 V5 and am getting ready to build. I took Necere's advice and ordered the Alpenfohn Atlas from Great Britain even though I am from the U.S. It looks better than the Noctua and appears to cool good even for oveclocks. The price after shipping is equal to the C-14 and Darkrock TF. Here are some pics. What do you think?

Necere's comments:
Necere, Aug 12, 2015
I just saw this today - the Alpenföhn Atlas might be the best cooler yet for SFF cases with a maximum cooler height in the 130mm range, like the M1 and Nova. It's 125mm tall with a twin tower design, dual 92mm PWM fans, and a pretty amazing 200W TDP rating. Unfortunately, Alpenföhn products don't seem to be available outside of Europe. But for those of you in the EU, this looks like a pretty great option.

Bild5.jpg

Screenshot_35.jpg

This is the best review I came across using:
  • Test Rig Setup

Case Cooler Master HAF XB
ir
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series AX 760i
ir

Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 GAMING K6
ir
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K
ir

CPU Cooler CRYORIG A40 RAM G Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB
ir

Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Classified SSD HyperX FURY 120GB
ir

Results:

CPU Cooler Air/Liquid Fan Speed Ambient Temperature Max CPU Temperature (core average) Delta Temperature Noise Level
CRYORIG A40 Liquid 100% 24.00 42.00 18.00 54dB
Alpenföhn Atlas Air 100% 21.00 42.00 21.00 39dB
NZXT Kraken X31 Liquid 100% 22.00 43.00 21.00 39dB
Noctua NH-U12S Air 100% 22.00 44.00 22.00 38dB
Scythe Fuma Air 100% 22.00 45.00 23.00 44dB
be quiet! Dark Rock TF Air 100% 22.00 48.00 26.00 38dB
Cryorig H7 Air 100% 24.00 51.00 27.00 41dB

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My case just arrived! I'm shocked at how quickly it got here. I thought it was supposed to take 3 weeks to a month. I ordered it on July 26th or so, a day before the next batch was supposed to ship. It shipped on August 2nd and it just arrived on August 11th on the East Coast of the US. I went with the cheaper air shipping option. Very happy. I still haven't picked it up from my building. I can't wait to transfer Project Pulsar from my SG13 into the NCase M1 and post some pictures and thoughts. :)

Glad to see you got your case, must have been hell waiting for it. Make sure and post pics of the finished build.

Nanook... I'm glad you were bored, (sorry I didn't search it...), and I appreciate the info.

Your #'s 1 and 2.... like that exhaust idea.
#3- 92mm slim intake sounds good... top brand for that?
#'s 4 and 5... I'm not in love with the idea of fans down at the bottom, below the vid card.

Any other thoughts? Thx again.

The slim 92s I used are Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM (same as Tyki's suggestion)

If I have the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Corsair SF600 PS, the 1080-FE, and will set up the Corsair H100i V1 AIO to exhaust the air, then what fan should I get and place it where?

(just starting the assembly of the rig)...

Thx.

I have double 120 fans on the floor as intake. Kraken to exhaust, cpu cooler to exhaust.

I guess any 120mm fans are fine.. TBH I'm really only running them to cool the VRM on the gpu. But having a source of cool air can't hurt. The fans are inaudible anyway.

Positive/Negative pressure doesnt concern me.. the panels come off so easily. It's not like a regular tower. Plus I actually like pkaying around with the comp

Just looked at my 980 Ti Hybrid to see how much room I have left. The 1070 Hybrid is 0.688" wider than the 980 Ti Hybrid, based on my physical measurements, it should fit but the tubing will pretty much pressed against the graphics card. With that much pressure, the side of the case might not stay latched.

Hey all. Been watching this thread since January. Got my Ncase M1 V5 and am getting ready to build. I took Necere's advice and ordered the Alpenfohn Atlas from Great Britain even though I am from the U.S. It looks better than the Noctua and appears to cool good even for oveclocks. Here is some pics.

Necere, Aug 12, 2015
I just saw this today - the Alpenföhn Atlas might be the best cooler yet for SFF cases with a maximum cooler height in the 130mm range, like the M1 and Nova. It's 125mm tall with a twin tower design, dual 92mm PWM fans, and a pretty amazing 200W TDP rating. Unfortunately, Alpenföhn products don't seem to be available outside of Europe. But for those of you in the EU, this looks like a pretty great option.

Bild5.jpg

This looks & appears to perform very similar to the U9S & D9L dual fan setups from Noctua.
You didn't want to go the 'traditional' Noctua route?

166574.a1fd2590ae484450bb19666f0def80c3.4e414a2dec338622560a87ad98df307b.1600.jpg 176048.e835b1206436ac2151777312857de2f8.1600.jpg

After the C14, I figure dual 92mm fans are the best air cooling option.
Apparently the the BeQuiet tower is nice too, but I know it's got fitting issues on some mobos.

Last edited:
Just managed to squeeze a c14 into my ncase today (x99e-itx)

Wow it's a tight fit, and that's not including the screws colliding with the heat pipes making fitting you. This is not recommended on that mobo unless you don't mind getting a 'bit physical' with the Allen key!

Nox

This looks & appears to perform very similar to the U9S & D9L dual fan setups from Noctua.
You didn't want to go the 'traditional' Noctua route?

View attachment 6596 View attachment 6597

After the C14, I figure dual 92mm fans are the best air cooling option.
Apparently the the BeQuiet tower is nice too, but I know it's got fitting issues on some mobos.
I was trying to find something with equivalent performance, but a better color. I have a C14 but wanted to leave the option of having the HDD if I need it. Hopefully this cooler performs well and is quiet. The price is equivalent to the C-14 and Darkrock TF including shipping. I hope it performs.

Last edited:
Guys, could you recommend a pair of quality high-gain dual-band black Wi-Fi/Bluetooth antennas, preferably badass-looking? There are quite a few choices on Amazon, but all brands I haven't heard of, and I suspect there is a popular product that's not on Amazon... So I'm not sure what to get and I'm asking your advice. What do you have? Does it work for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? How's the reception?

I dig the SilverStone WAD17 oar design. It's dual-band, though according to SilverStone it doesn't support Bluetooth... I'm wondering if that's actually true as it does support 2.4GHz. This is a general question I have about antennas that I also raised in the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac thread. All input is appreciated.

So... I fried the mini 4 pin fan header on my video card. I shorted it, and thank goodness the short was contained there. Video card still works, but I needed another way to control my GPU fan, so I put in a NZXT Grid v2. I did noticed that the Grid+ controls fanspeed via voltage and not PWM, so the fan kicks on and off at lower RPM/temps.

edit - photographs now collapsed
ncase1.jpg
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4530.JPG

Last edited:
Looking to purchase a used M1 if someone has one to sell, i would be happy to get it. I'm from France so i'm ready to pay the shipping.

Looking to purchase a used M1 if someone has one to sell, i would be happy to get it. I'm from France so i'm ready to pay the shipping.
you can still order on the ncase website; next shipments on aug 24 according to the site

Well so far I am really pleased with my GTX 1070, did some OCing and bench testing. I was able to get 2025 MHz core and 9300 MHz memory so far. I scored 15 406 in Fire Strike

As far as cooling goes this runs much cooler than my 970, 42C max on the gpu. This is helping out my cpu since max temps on it dropped from 52C to 48C. Seeing as I only have 2 fans quiet is the word. :D

I have double 120 fans on the floor as intake. Kraken to exhaust, cpu cooler to exhaust.I guess any 120mm fans are fine...

The Kraken
I have double 120 fans on the floor as intake. Kraken to exhaust, cpu cooler to exhaust.

I guess any 120mm fans are fine.. TBH I'm really only running them to cool the VRM on the gpu. But having a source of cool air can't hurt. The fans are inaudible anyway.

Positive/Negative pressure doesnt concern me.. the panels come off so easily. It's not like a regular tower. Plus I actually like pkaying around with the comp

Some possibilities...
(my rig: M1, Asus Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, Corsair H100i V1 AIO, 1080-FE, SSD, Corsair SF600
-2 Varder 120 mm fans on case bottom as 'intake'...yes.
-The Corsair AIO exhausting/out thru radiator on side...yes.

I need exhaust/out 120 mm fan, and put it where? On rear/back of case, the biggest that will fit is only a 92 mm -and
friend said that fan won't be effective in my powerful/cramped rig as an exhaust. So, is there another spot for a 120 mm
as an exhaust/out fan?

Other options?

you can still order on the ncase website; next shipments on aug 24 according to the site

That sounds really good. I'm not going to overclock mine, so I'm hoping to get away with the least number of fans as possible. I have these:
1 x Noctua NF-A9 PWM
1 x Noctua NF-A9X14
2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM

I was initially thinking 2xNF-F12 fans in the bottom, the slim NF-A9X14 on the rear of the case and attaching the other NF-A9 to my NH-9US.

But I think with non-overclock, this may not be needed.

rfarmer - can you please remind me what fans you have and what orientation they are?

I think maybe I could go without the rear fan, and orient the CPU cooler to exhaust out the rear. Not sure. It'll probably be trial and error.

That sounds really good. I'm not going to overclock mine, so I'm hoping to get away with the least number of fans as possible. I have these:
1 x Noctua NF-A9 PWM
1 x Noctua NF-A9X14
2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM

I was initially thinking 2xNF-F12 fans in the bottom, the slim NF-A9X14 on the rear of the case and attaching the other NF-A9 to my NH-9US.

But I think with non-overclock, this may not be needed.

rfarmer - can you please remind me what fans you have and what orientation they are?

I think maybe I could go without the rear fan, and orient the CPU cooler to exhaust out the rear. Not sure. It'll probably be trial and error.

I am using NoiseBlocker Multi Frame S Series, they are in the side bracket as intake for my radiator.

Does anyone have a pointer to where one could purchase the equivalent of the USB internal cable with streamlined black USB ports as used in v5 of the case?

I received my v5 case last week and found out the hard way one of the ports isn't working. It's only a few dollars to find an ordinary (blue) replacement, but I like the new aesthetic... plus I wouldn't mind changing out the ones in my v3 cases. :)

What's the consensus on putting fans under reference-style graphics cards? Does it make a difference? I'm wondering if the different RPMs and style of the fans put so close together create turbulence and actually hurt good airflow and noise.

I'd do it just for the extra positive pressure, but then you have to ask yourself, will the benefit of the extra pressure from the bottom fans i.e. less dust-build up and supposedly less CPU/PSU cooler noise, offset the extra noise from those fans and the tiny bit of dust that will make its way through the bottom Demciflex filters.

In other words, when you draw the bottom line, will adding those fans really result in less noise and less dust with a reference-style card? I can't figure it out, what do you think?

Last edited:
I have the same Asus Z170i Pro Gaming MB as you...and the Corsair SF600... Please let us know if your calculated lengths you needed for all the cables was correct. If you're happy with them, then I'll get a set as well! :) Thanks...

For anyone who is using the Asus Z170i and either the Corsair SF450/600 PSU's these cable lengths seem to work well.

24 pin - 250mm (Minimum available length)
4+4 pin - 400mm
6+2 pin Gpu - 200mm
Sata power - 150mm (SSD mounted to front panel)

Cable combs are Icemodz clear stealth style. You will need to un-pin the cables to get these on.

Cablemod CPU power by CintaMagique, on Flickr

Cablemod 24pin power by CintaMagique, on Flickr

However, If I did it all again, I would trim down the 24pin further to help it transition from vertical on the motherboard to horizontal under the PSU.
Also - there are several cables that double up making "stealth" cable combs a bit tricky.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm planning to get in the M1 family.
I've been lurking for a while, but I "evolved" my config while leaving the 250D so... now, I can't find similar builds.

I have a MSI Z97i Gaming ACK (formerly I have a M7I, but recently I swapped with 50€ compensation in may favour, quite a bargain) and a Corsair H100i GTX . Do you think they will fit?

You lucky one ;), necere told that they were cancelled.

So Necere, is there a way to get the black ones???

My v5 has black ports as well. It's possible the black ports can no longer be sourced, however.

I actually thought about plugging mine, as they interfered with my bottom radiator, and I use an external USB3 hub right above my keyboard anyways, but decided to keep them when I rebuilt my loop... still thinking of plugging the mic/headphone jacks, as I use an external DAC for all audio, and don't have the on-board audio enabled at all.

Back