NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hello everyone!
Just want to thank everyone who's been making contributions to this thread, has been a great read.
Funnily enough when I originally built my PC I was looking forward to having a big airy case (having come from a noisy small prebuild). However now as someone who is heading off to University I've been starting to feel like my Corsair 780t isn't convenient enough for the job. As such I'm hoping to move over to the NCase from the enormous 780t. I have just a few questions if you guys could indulge me...
1. I'm currently using a Z97 mobo with a 4790k, has anyone got a good recommendation for a decent Mini-ITX Z97 mobo? Stock is a bit limited on these mobos but the ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC is available - is that a good choice? It's often hard to know where to start for motherboards.

2. Following on from this what is a decent CPU cooler - would the Noctua NH-U9S be good, I've also heard good stuff about the NH-C14 - is the NH-C14S just as good? Any other recommendation would be very welcome!

Will be pairing this with a EVGA GTX 1070 SC although I'll probably move over to a theoretical 1080ti if / when it happens so will be going with Corsair's SF600 as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello everyone!
Just want to thank everyone who's been making contributions to this thread, has been a great read.
Funnily enough when I originally built my PC I was looking forward to having a big airy case (having come from a noisy small prebuild). However now as someone who is heading off to University I've been starting to feel like my Corsair 780t isn't convenient enough for the job. As such I'm hoping to move over to the NCase from the enormous 780t. I have just a few questions if you guys could indulge me...
1. I'm currently using a Z97 mobo with a 4790k, has anyone got a good recommendation for a decent Mini-ITX Z97 mobo? Stock is a bit limited on these mobos but the ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC is available - is that a good choice? It's often hard to know where to start for motherboards.

2. Following on from this what is a decent CPU cooler - would the Noctua NH-U9S be good, I've also heard good stuff about the NH-C14 - is the NH-C14S just as good? Any other recommendation would be very welcome!

Will be pairing this with a EVGA GTX 1070 SC although I'll probably move over to a theoretical 1080ti if / when it happens so will be going with Corsair's SF600 as well.

In regards to CPU coolers, the NH-C14s is too tall. The other CPU coolers you mentioned will work well too.

Hello everyone!

I've been looking into this for a few weeks and I went with the same suggestions you made. I haven't received my parts yet, but from my research, those are all good selections. The Mini-ITX boards all have a similar feature set, but I found the AsRock to have everything without any apparent compromises. The NH-C14 isn't readily available anymore. The NH-U9S seems to be the other common one. You can add an additional Noctua NF-A9 to it as I'm going to (it comes with one already).

The EVGA GTX 1070 SC fits from what I've read - but the FTW version of the card is wider, so the SC is a good choice.

I'm also going with the Corsair SF600.

Check out my post (#20831) which has the rest of what I'm getting. This might help you. I checked through every completed build I could find and read through this form a few times, so hopefully it should all work!!!

I heard the corsair sf600 psu was difficult to cable manage but I think I did a great job. Just need to tuck the cables in the front a little better. I want to learn how to custom sleeve soon but here's hope for people that isn't planning to custom sleeve their cables.View attachment 6438 View attachment 6439 View attachment 6440 View attachment 6442View attachment 6444

That's quite neat . I had such issues with the stock cables that I caved and bought a custom set to replace them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm surprised what a bad experience it is to trade with Lian Li. First, emails are being sent to the wrong address. Even after notifying them twice they still do it wrong.

Second, I was informed by customs that Lian Li hasn't mentioned the value of the order on the tax declaration/invoice affixed to the package. The package now sits in customs waiting for me to be picked up rather than being delivered to me, the service I had Lian Li payed for.

And above all I will probably have to pay VAT twice, once for US and once for Germany. On checkout US VAT should have been exempted. That didn't happen so I was expecting to see some kind of tweak to the invoice. But Lian Li never delivered (the invoice). Now I'm struggling which email I should print out for customs and if they'll accept it.

wahaha360, I urge you to have a word with your business partner Lian Li about their disconcerting practices.

Edit: Wish I had investigated this earlier

wahaha360 can you send me a proper invoice for my order 3v9obxl3?

I believe we exchanged emails and the situation is resolved.

If I have the wrong person in mind, let me know.

Hello everyone!

The NH-C14 can still be found, but stock is drying up. The newer NH-C14S heatsink is 115 mm tall so, as BST4R pointed out in June, you can install it with a normal 25 mm thick fan on the underside, though you will be forced to use RAM that is 38 mm tall or less, according to images on the NH-C14S Motherboard Compatibility page. The 15 mm gap between the top of the heatsink and the M1 side panel might be enough for a thin fan, but using dissimilar fans together can cause noise due to turbulence cause by the difference in the fans' airflow, pressure, and RPM difference.

If you go for the NH-U9S, the included fan is the NF-A9 PWM, not the 3 pin NF-A9 version, so be sure to purchase the PWM version if you want a second fan.

The better question might be is it worth waiting for the 200-series chipsets that are projected to come out this year? Anyone have thoughts on that?

You mean the MB with a thread that is right here on this very sub-forum (Small Form Factor Systems)…?

One that a simple search, or even a glance down the first page of this sub-forum (again, Small Form Factor Systems) would have revealed…?!?

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Shake my head…
noobs...
they gotta learn to search, its right at the top of the page, ffs

Reactions: Boil
like this
I've got just about all of my parts.
I'm waiting on my CPU (6600K) & a pair of drives.

In the meantime, I've installed everything I've got so far to run the wires in a way that doesn't really obstruct any airflow.
It doesn't look the neatest, but it's pretty smooth sailing.

P14 + F12 combo for the side & bottom. The F12s are on LNAs to max the P14 max rpm.
Each combo is Y-split to a header on the fan card.

The back has an A9 (slim version) for exhaust.
The C14 cooler (not shown) has an F12 on the lower face.

My understanding is that Fan Xpert can't do DC and PWM control simultaneously, so they'll all be controlled by DC since the P14s aren't 4pin.

IMAG0207.jpg IMAG0210.jpg IMAG0209.jpg

I have my PSU mounted with the fan on the inside, since I've been hearing reports of these SF600s running a bit hot.
I figure having the side fans blowing into it should help a little bit. None of the cables are blocking the intake.

I do have an issue though, and that's with powering my hard drives.
What are you guys doing about those damn cables?
Are you folks running adapters off the traditional daisy chain?

I'm thinking SATA Power Y-Cables & a Molex adapter for the fan card.

Last edited:
I've got just about all of my parts.
I'm waiting on my CPU (6600K) & a pair of drives.

In the meantime, I've installed everything I've got so far to run the wires in a way that doesn't really obstruct any airflow.
It doesn't look the neatest, but it's pretty smooth sailing.

P14 + F12 combo for the side & bottom. The F12s are on LNAs to max the P14 max rpm.
Each combo is Y-split to a header on the fan card.

The back has an A9 (slim version) for exhaust.
The C14 cooler (not shown) has an F12 on the lower face.

My understanding is that Fan Xpert can't do DC and PWM control simultaneously, so they'll all be controlled by DC since the P14s aren't 4pin.

View attachment 6475 View attachment 6476 View attachment 6477

I have my PSU mounted with the fan on the inside, since I've been hearing reports of these SF600s running a bit hot.
I figure having the side fans blowing into it should help a little bit. None of the cables are blocking the intake.

I do have an issue though, and that's with powering my hard drives.
What are you guys doing about those damn cables?
Are you folks running adapters off the traditional daisy chain?

I'm thinking SATA Power Y-Cables & a Molex adapter for the fan card.

Looking good, you did a good job with cable management. As far as SATA power goes I used one of these NZXT CB-42SATA 7.87" 4-Pin Molex to 2 SATA Cable - Newegg.com I had to have molex power anyway for my pump and fan control and this way I didn't have to use my SATA PSU cables and this works much better than the Corsair SATA cables for stacked drives.

That's quite neat . I had such issues with the stock cables that I caved and bought a custom set to replace them.

Custom cable set from whom? Have specific link? Did you get the shorter length cables, and if yes, then did you individually measure each one and guess how much shorter to get them?

Quick query on the noise from the Corsair SF450 compared to the 500w sfx-l supplies? I currently have a silentstorm sfx-l supply (The same as the Silverstone SFX-L supply just without the semi passive mode so no annoying buzzing) and was considering swapping out just to give myself a bit more case room

Has anyone here tested if the 2 fans vs 1 fan intake on the bottom of the NCASE m1 affects temperatures of a REFERENCE GPU? The fan further to the back of the case, seems like it hits the bottom of the GPU/graphics card, while the fan closet to the front of the case, appears is the only one that has positive effect, since it actually blows directly into the GPU intake fan?

Does that 2nd fan actually improve airlfow, or is that air merely hitting the "dead space" on the bottom of the GPU that has no fan?

QjvjIYQ.png

For the people with a 1080. What's your core clock stable at? Temps? Fan speed? I'm not loving my reference card so far and thinking of returning it for something else. Is open air that bad?

For the people with a 1080. What's your core clock stable at? Temps? Fan speed? I'm not loving my reference card so far and thinking of returning it for something else. Is open air that bad?

I have a FE 1080 in my M1. These numbers are from memory. Temperatures running Heaven or Overwatch @ 1440p 144hz
  • Stock blower fan 50-60%
    • stock clock OR overclocked about 82 - 85c
  • Stock blower fan 100%
    • temps around 79c
  • H75 AIO with NZXT G10 Kraken (with small VRAM / VRM heatsinks), pump 100%, fan 40%
    • stock clock @ 60c
    • OC (140 offset) @ 65c
  • Artic Acclereo IV (with small VRAM / VRM heatsinks, but no backplate heatsink), fan about 40%
    • stock clock @ 70c
    • OC (140 offset) @ 75c
(edited to correct temps and fix formatting)

Last edited:
I have a FE 1080 in my M1. These numbers are from memory. Temperatures running Heaven or Overwatch @ 1440p 144hz
  • Stock blower fan 50-60%
    • stock clock OR overclocked about 82 - 85c
  • Stock blower fan 100%
    • temps around 79c
  • H75 AIO with NZXT G10 Kraken (with small VRAM / VRM heatsinks), pump 100%, fan 40%
    • stock clock @ 60C
    • OC (140 offset) @ 85c
  • Artic Acclereo IV (with small VRAM / VRM heatsinks, but no backplate heatsink), fan about 40%
    • stock clock @ 72C
    • OC (140 offset) @ 85c

Great range of results from multiple cooling strategies. Thanks for sharing!

Custom cable set from whom? Have specific link? Did you get the shorter length cables, and if yes, then did you individually measure each one and guess how much shorter to get them?

Actually I bought a whole set of crimps, tools and paracord but after a short play around decided that it was less risky and more time effective to just grab a set from Cablemod.

Im not sure if they're the only ones, but they are plug and play for the SF600 or SF450 and the price is ok.

Configurator | CableMod Global Store

My cables were almost all significantly shorter than stock. But I'm using an Asus Z170i. I guess your lengths will vary significantly depending on where your power connectors are. This is stock from the Corsair manual:

Corsair-SF600-cables.png

My lengths are:

24 pin - 250mm (this will be borerline)
4+4 pin - 400mm
6+2 pin Gpu - 200mm
Sata power - 150mm

Sata data - 300mm
(This is a separate non custom item)

I guessed these lengths using a fabric tape measure. Basically I unpluged each cable, routed them neatly and measured the excess.

My set hasn't arrived so take these lengths with a grain of salt. I can update later when they are installed. Also, for what it's worth it took 2 weeks from order to despatch.

Actually I bought a whole set of crimps, tools and paracord but after a short play around decided that it was less risky and more time effective to just grab a set from Cablemod.

Im not sure if they're the only ones, but they are plug and play for the SF600 or SF450 and the price is ok.

Configurator | CableMod Global Store

My cables were almost all significantly shorter than stock. But I'm using an Asus Z170i. I guess your lengths will vary significantly depending on where your power connectors are. This is stock from the Corsair manual:

Corsair-SF600-cables.png

My lengths are:

24 pin - 250mm (this will be borerline)
4+4 pin - 400mm
6+2 pin Gpu - 200mm
Sata power - 150mm

Sata data - 300mm
(This is a separate non custom item)

I guessed these lengths using a fabric tape measure. Basically I unpluged each cable, routed them neatly and measured the excess.

My set hasn't arrived so take these lengths with a grain of salt. I can update later when they are installed. Also, for what it's worth it took 2 weeks from order to despatch.

I have the same Asus Z170i Pro Gaming MB as you...and the Corsair SF600... Please let us know if your calculated lengths you needed for all the cables was correct. If you're happy with them, then I'll get a set as well! :) Thanks...

Whoo, just finished assembling my build. Quite a tight fit to fit both Corsair H75 (with both fans push/pull) and EVGA Hybrid cooler.

Ran into one small issue, I mounted a 3.5" HDD to the bottom, but was only able to screw it down with two screws. Doesn't seem very secure if I were to transport the PC. Anybody have any ideas or better pictures?

Whoo, just finished assembling my build. Quite a tight fit to fit both Corsair H75 (with both fans push/pull) and EVGA Hybrid cooler.

Ran into one small issue, I mounted a 3.5" HDD to the bottom, but was only able to screw it down with two screws. Doesn't seem very secure if I were to transport the PC. Anybody have any ideas or better pictures?

At which end of the case floor did you place the drive? I believe the case is designed to have a 3.5 inch drive on the floor at the very rear with the data and power ports facing the front of the case.

Quick query on the noise from the Corsair SF450 compared to the 500w sfx-l supplies? I currently have a silentstorm sfx-l supply (The same as the Silverstone SFX-L supply just without the semi passive mode so no annoying buzzing) and was considering swapping out just to give myself a bit more case room

I can't comment on the SFX-L power supplies but I have a Corsair SF450 and it is so quiet I had to remove my side panel to make sure the fan was running.

At which end of the case floor did you place the drive? I believe the case is designed to have a 3.5 inch drive on the floor at the very rear with the data and power ports facing the front of the case.

It's at the very rear with the sata/power port facing the front. The front is screwed in but the rear is just resting on the rubber dampener. This is a WD Red 8TB drive.

a0nP1Fil.jpg

Three questions:

1-Does installing an intake fan at the bottom help a reference GPU (1070 Turbo)? Any fan better suited for the job? My Noctua NF-F12s don't move a lot of air unless theyre at max speed (loud) so I'm wondering if I should get an airflow fan for the bottom (if it helps).

2-Stupid stupid question but googling didn't help - how does one mount a fan to the bottom? (which screws/bracket). Couldnt figure out!

3-I'm VERY low on space and I have a Schiit Magni/Modi Uber stack (same finish as my N1 :shame:) and I was wondering if I could maybe *raise* my N1 and put them under it? Like, use some sort of rack to put it on and give 4-8 inches of clearance under it. Has any of you done this (raise M1)? what did you use?

DSC_0278.JPG

I believe it is supposed to be mounted sideways.

That looks like the same orientation that equalme has in his photo. I don't understand why the drive's other pair of threaded holes aren't lining up with the case holes that the empty rubber grommets are in.

That looks like the same orientation that equalme has in his photo. I don't understand why the drive's other pair of threaded holes aren't lining up with the case holes that the empty rubber grommets are in.

Oh you are right, I was looking at it wrong. Thought he had it mounted turned sideways.

I think for some reason the WD Red drives have different mounting holes. Trying to figure it out.

I have just fitted the Titan X in my M1 case, it fits beautifully and runs very good.
I have enabled the fan to spin up to 100% and it runs about 1750-1830mhz.

Unique Vally benchmark resulted in 3973 points on a 1440p monitor on ultra settings.
My CPU i7 6700k runs at 4,7Ghz with the DDR4 16GB around 4Ghz

IMG_9379.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to switch from a Carbide Air 240 to a M1, here is my setup:

6700K @ 4.4 1.280V (75° burn)
Corsair H75 (Ventilo Noctua)
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
EVGA 1070 SC (74° with stock curve)
1 SSD
1 HDD 2.5'

I was thinking on putting the AIO and a fan on the side as intake.
On the bottom I will put 2 Noctua as intake too to cool the GPU

I'm want to have a SILENT or nearly silent build when gaming: Is this possible with that setup ?

I have 2 options:
SIlverstone SFX G 600W
or
Corsair SF600

I heard that Silverstone's have weird sounds, but is the fan loud in charge?
Same question for SF600 owners: I've heard multiples persons saying that the fan what a jet engine, is that true?

Which one should I pick?

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to switch from a Carbide Air 240 to a M1, here is my setup:

6700K @ 4.4 1.280V (75° burn)
Corsair H75 (Ventilo Noctua)
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
EVGA 1070 SC (74° with stock curve)
1 SSD
1 HDD 2.5'

I was thinking on putting the AIO and a fan on the side as intake.
On the bottom I will put 2 Noctua as intake too to cool the GPU

I'm want to have a SILENT or nearly silent build when gaming: Is this possible with that setup ?

I have 2 options:
SIlverstone SFX G 600W
or
Corsair SF600

I heard that Silverstone's have weird sounds, but is the fan loud in charge?
Same question for SF600 owners: I've heard multiples persons saying that the fan what a jet engine, is that true?

Which one should I pick?

Thanks

My SF600 is basically silent. My AIO pump and even CPU fans are much louder.
- I'm using an NZXT Kraken and that thing is kinda noisy. It's by far the loudest thing in my system. I have had it silent before ( issues I won't go into) but even then, the PSU should be quiet enough for you not to notice.

As for AIO - Mine is exhausting out of the case. I can't imagine having that amount of heat going into the box would be beneficial for anything. Max temps are around 65C playing BF4 on maxed out settings.

Is everyone ready to see one of the first M1's with dual GPU's? Feast your eyes!

IMG_20160812_073802.jpg

I never said both were connected and functioning :D

I'm currently testing a RX 480 and freesync. Freesync is pretty cool but I've had water cooling for years now. This thing throttles pretty bad in here and that's with the side panel off and the fan turned up. It's about 5x louder than my 2 GT fans and pump on my rad

If I decide to keep it, I might have to toss the cash into it for a EK block. Or I might just keep my 680 with it's EK block and go for another Nvidia card next gen? Decisions decisions...

Attachments

• IMG_20160812_073802.jpg
    IMG_20160812_073802.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
If I have the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Corsair SF600 PS, the 1080-FE, and will set up the Corsair H100i V1 AIO to exhaust the air, then what fan should I get and place it where?

(just starting the assembly of the rig)...

Thx.

If I have the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Corsair SF600 PS, the 1080-FE, and will set up the Corsair H100i V1 AIO to exhaust the air, then what fan should I get and place it where?

(just starting the assembly of the rig)...

Thx.

Just use the H100 as intake. I'm doing that with my H75 and GPU Hybrid cooler. No exhaust fans, passive positive pressure.

Just use the H100 as intake. I'm doing that with my H75 and GPU Hybrid cooler. No exhaust fans, passive positive pressure.

equalme... Thx for input.

Everyone, thoughts on what equalme just stated in response to my post (#20872)?

Back