NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Here it is my 130€ shipping + custom taxes case.

Z97n gaming 5
Be quiet dark rock tf
R9 290 raijintek morpheus + 2 silverstone fn123 (slim)
2 nidec gt ap15 side

Waiting for the aquaero 5lt, my cpu_fan header doesn't want to work with 3 pin fans.

Attachments

• 20160803_191834_HDR.jpg
    20160803_191834_HDR.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 20160803_194906_HDR.jpg
    20160803_194906_HDR.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 20160803_194917_HDR.jpg
    20160803_194917_HDR.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 547
If I really struggle w/ the Corsair cables, I might consider getting custom ones... what do you think?
The Corsair cables don't really bend well, but if you worked with PATA/IDE cables from way back when, i was able to fold them in a similar way to those fairly well to bunch them in the case. I also ran a bunch of the cables flat between my video card and radiator. It takes up a small section of the air gap between the 2, but it helped getting cables out of the way.

Just had to order the EVGA GTX 1080 SC instead of the Asus Strix because Amazon should have delivered today but can't because they are out of stock. Will I have good temps with this card too? Is it recommended to get additional fans for the bottom? I saw that most people used Noctua fans for that but which ones?

Did you consider the 1080-FE that exits air out the back of the case?

thanks! Checked the spreadsheet already but hadn't seen Necere's post.

since this card is on the list: GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce® GTX 10 Series - GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack
I'll just go ahead and extrapolate that this card I was looking at would fit too: ::Palit Products - GeForce® GTX 1070 Super JetStream ::
The dimensions is slightly smaller. Palit doesn't seem to be popular over there, but the few reviews I've found of this seems positive

I just checked and the Palit 1070 Super Jetstream is 285 mm x 133 mm which is within the M1 limits, but the PCI-E power socket is right at the very top of the PCB, leaving only 7 mm for the cables and connectors, which is inadequate. Also, the card is listed at 2.5 slots thick so you would be limited to thin fans underneath it.

In comparison, the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme is larger at 289 mm x 138 mm, but its power sockets are recessed so this card will fit. It is a bit thicker than 2 slots at 56 mm, so again your choice in fans for the bottom of the case may be limited. A 2 slot GPU will be 40 mm thick, I believe.

Here it is my 130€ shipping + custom taxes case.

Z97n gaming 5
Be quiet dark rock tf
R9 290 raijintek morpheus + 2 silverstone fn123 (slim)
2 nidec gt ap15 side

Waiting for the aquaero 5lt, my cpu_fan header doesn't want to work with 3 pin fans.

What kind of stress temperatures are you getting? I like the setup before I move to water cooling.

Unsure if SM961 is available stateside yet. but anyone in other region able to try the new SM961 samsung NvME SSD on these? Looks like these might not have the same challenges as Sm 950 PRO models (double side memory).

Yes those are my fans. I had used them on my radiators before and seem more quiet. They were connected to the MB CPU fan header back then. Now the fans are powered by the video card, set with an aggressive fan curve. I'll play around with the fan curve to dial in noise vs temps.

I initially set the fans as exhaust. However, there isn't a lot of room around my NCase on my desk, and everything around the PC got super hot (NAS, router, modem, etc) even the fans themselves felt hot to touch. There were 90c+ spikes on my GPU right before I shut down the stress test. I'm not really sure what happened. I thought I'll have to repaste the heat sink, but the heat sink was super hot. After I changed the fans to intake, the GPU ran cooler. I'm not happy to dump 300w+ of heat into my case, so I may keep tinkering.

I don't know how to measure VRM temps, do you have any tips?

I'm using slower Noctua F12s in the same setup, and my temperatures max out at 60C in exhaust config. I find it significantly quieter (especially at idle) than when I was using the EVGA Hybrid kit.

You can get IR thermometer guns pretty cheaply to measure component temperatures.

If I really struggle w/ the Corsair cables, I might consider getting custom ones... what do you think?

I'm planning to try heating them up with a blow dryer to make them more flexible. If that doesn't work to my liking I'll make my own custom cables. I haven't done that before, so it's something fun/new to dive into.

I'm using slower Noctua F12s in the same setup, and my temperatures max out at 60C in exhaust config. I find it significantly quieter (especially at idle) than when I was using the EVGA Hybrid kit.

You can get IR thermometer guns pretty cheaply to measure component temperatures.
Interesting. I tweaked the fan curve and got it to be silent at idle and low load. It is nice to have a giant heat sink. I'll give exhaust configuration another try.

Titan x pascal + 6700K in a M1, do you think the SX500 is enough? I read the titan could reach like 300W when oc.

If it were me I'd get the Corsair SF600 but I'm the type that likes to have more than enough as opposed to just enough. Plus the SF600 should future proof the rig for all single GPU set ups in the future. Just my opinion anyway.

What kind of stress temperatures are you getting? I like the setup before I move to water cooling.

CPU (4690k stock) is fine, 65 max in intel xtreme utility, gpu 78°C in Overwatch, slim fans are not enough.

Edit: 30'8°C ambient temperature.

CPU (4690k stock) is fine, 65 max in intel xtreme utility, gpu 78°C in Overwatch, slim fans are not enough.

Edit: 30'8°C ambient temperature.

Hmm. I wonder how my Alpenfohn Peter II and 2 slim 14 cm Prolimatech fans will do then on my GTX 970?

I don't have Overwatch. Is there another recommended GPU stress test, such as Unigine Heaven or Valley, or Furmark? How long will it take for the temperature to stabilize? (Just watch it I guess.)

Question, does MSI GTX 1070 gaming X fit?...looks like it might not....

Or it's a good idea to use aero version?

Question, does MSI GTX 1070 gaming X fit?...looks like it might not....

Or it's a good idea to use aero version?

The MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X is listed on the MSI website as 279 mm x 140 mm x 42 mm. The middle value is the height which is right at the limit according to the Ncase website. However, the PCI-E power sockets on the card are right at the top of the PCB which is the highest point of the card, so there is no room at all to plug in the power cables and get the M1 side panel on.

Yes, the Aero will work: its dimensions are 269 mm x 111 mm x 35 mm. Again the PCI-E power socket is right at the top of the card, but this time there is a 29 mm gap to the M1 side panel which is enough for the power connector and wires.

The MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X is listed on the MSI website as 279 mm x 140 mm x 42 mm. The middle value is the height which is right at the limit according to the Ncase website. However, the PCI-E power sockets on the card are right at the top of the PCB which is the highest point of the card, so there is no room at all to plug in the power cables and get the M1 side panel on.

Yes, the Aero will work: its dimensions are 269 mm x 111 mm x 35 mm. Again the PCI-E power socket is right at the top of the card, but this time there is a 29 mm gap to the M1 side panel which is enough for the power connector and wires.

oh yea, totally forgot about the power plug :( thanks bud

oh yea, totally forgot about the power plug :( thanks bud

So far Asus and Gigabyte have recessed power sockets on their customer cooler cards, but check the dimensions and photos for the model you are interested in.

Anyone have any idea if the MSI RX470 Gaming X 4G will fit? It's listed measurements are 276 x 140 x 37 mm but it looks like the power socket / pcb sets back a good bit from the edge of the cooler but I can't tell how much. Same for the RX 480 except it's at 276 x 140 x 42 mm. Was looking at either of these as from what I have been reading they are the best from a noise perspective.

Finally ordered some parts for my build and I'm now really having a hard time deciding what GPU and CPU cooler I should get.

Initially, I was thinking about purchasing a MSI GTX 1070 Seahawk X (water cooled one) and combine it with a top down cooler like the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF.

Since the Seahawk X in very expensive compared to air cooled solutions (>100,- euro), I was thinking about getting a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming or an ASUS GTX STRIX 1070. However with these GPUs there is no exhaust for the hot air, which the Seahawk X does have. With these two GPU's I'm worried If I'd use a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF the airflow in my case is really bad.

Please give me some advice!

Hi Guys

Currently wait for my v5 case to arrive and i just have a few queries relating to my best config options. I intend to carry over the following items from my current build:

Gigabyte z70n Gaming 5
i74790K (on a Silverstone SST-AR06 cooler [i've not overclocked it yet but intend to)
500GB SSD
3.5" 1TB SSHD

I will definitely be getting the Corsair SF600 psu because i think its better than the Silverstone version. I also want to keep my 3.5" SSHD drive, preferably on the side drive bracket (but open to mounting it at the bottom of the case (if i get a blower style GPU card).

So my questions are;

AIO options for a single 120mm cooler? - I 'm looking at the Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID PRO 120 but can't find a review of it anywhere. Plus will this fit, as it has 2 fans and the pump is 60mm tall. Using a 120mm AIO will enable me to has the 3.5" SSHD on the side, and use a non-blower style GPU. Mounting a SSHD at the bottom of the case with a non-blower GPU will strict air flow.

AIO options for a dual 240mm cooler? - Again i am looking at the Masterliquid 240 as this gets great reviews. SSHD will have to go at the bottom of the case.

Or should i go air cooling? - In order to keep the SSHD on the side panel. If so which cooler works best?

GPU options, which would you go for? - Getting a 1080, and i've narrowed it down to the following cards, as they appear to fit the case:

- MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Aero OC (blower style heat sink, so i can place my SSHD at the bottom of the case) - Core Clock 1632mhz
- EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 - Core Clock - 1708mhz
- Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Blower heat sink) - Core clock 1607mhz

The MSI is the cheapest and the Asus the most expensive. Although the price difference is about £20. MSI and EVGA are OC, and the Asus runs at stock Founders Edition speed, but is £20 cheaper than Asus' FE editions (funny its the same price as EVGA's FE model).

Last question i promise - Any case fan suggestions?

Sorry for the long post , but i thought it best to do it all in one hit. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks

Finally ordered some parts for my build and I'm now really having a hard time deciding what GPU and CPU cooler I should get.

Initially, I was thinking about purchasing a MSI GTX 1070 Seahawk X (water cooled one) and combine it with a top down cooler like the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF.

Since the Seahawk X in very expensive compared to air cooled solutions (>100,- euro), I was thinking about getting a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming or an ASUS GTX STRIX 1070. However with these GPUs there is no exhaust for the hot air, which the Seahawk X does have. With these two GPU's I'm worried If I'd use a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF the airflow in my case is really bad.

Please give me some advice!
Will the strix fit in the case?

It does! Check: reddit build log

Also in your situation, the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 will fit. However, I've heard some bad things regarding coil whine with this card. It's a lot cheaper though, but you have to win the GPU lottery to get a good one apparently...
Nice. I was just look that the gigabtye G1. Hmm. I will try to find a review on how far it boosts. Apparently mos 1080 don't boost past the 2100mhz mark. Thankks for the tip.

Hmm. I wonder how my Alpenfohn Peter II and 2 slim 14 cm Prolimatech fans will do then on my GTX 970?

I don't have Overwatch. Is there another recommended GPU stress test, such as Unigine Heaven or Valley, or Furmark? How long will it take for the temperature to stabilize? (Just watch it I guess.)

I have less temperature in heaven, pass the benchmark.

Random thought apropos nothing; but for Silverstone's dominion over it, would a 90 degree mobo orientation be best(er) for a case like this?

Random thought apropos nothing; but for Silverstone's dominion over it, would a 90 degree mobo orientation be best(er) for a case like this?

Not really. I owned a Silverstone FT03, and I can tell you that as convenient as It might seem.. you end up making the case much bigger and the overall setup much clumsier because:

a) The cables end up being routed from the top of the case to the bottom (along one of the sides), which means that the case ends up being bigger than it is.

b) The I/O needs to be recessed unless you want to see all the connectors on the top of the case. This translates into a wasted space that you wouldn't have on a traditional layout.

All in all, that layout isn't more efficient or better in any regard. You also have to account for the fact that many heatpipes do not work as good when in vertical orientation.

Is general consensus that the noctua nh-c14 is still the best air cooler for this case?

Nox

My Dark Rock TF works pretty incredibly, and I have and HDD on the side bracket with it.

Not worried about the side bracket! Had a look at that, I love the extra heat sink below the main one!! I think I would of been sold but not compatibility with my socket :( 2011-v3 narrow ilm.

Nox

Any previous buyers that can tell the different stages for the Track&Trace? My status has been on departure from outgoing office since 2nd August. So i'm kinda curious where I am in the timeline of the whole shipping process.

If it were me I'd get the Corsair SF600 but I'm the type that likes to have more than enough as opposed to just enough. Plus the SF600 should future proof the rig for all single GPU set ups in the future. Just my opinion anyway.

Thanks, but i already have a SX500 and wondering myself if there was going to be a problem.
I thought 300W for gpu, 100W for cpu and 100W for mobo/stuff, should fit even without room for more?
If not or too much tight fit I'd gladly take a SX700 but the load based only fan control thing is worrying me.

Config is working in current state (stock/aircooling) but when oc with a wc?

Not worried about the side bracket! Had a look at that, I love the extra heat sink below the main one!! I think I would of been sold but not compatibility with my socket :( 2011-v3 narrow ilm.

Nox

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will comment on this but I am pretty sure that I have seen it posted that you can request a narrow 2011 ilm bracket from Noctua that will work with the nh-c14.

edit: I knew I had seen it somewhere, you might have to do some arm twisting with Noctua. MiniValidus - Work Log - Page 11

Last edited:
Back