NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Finishing up on ordering the parts for my build...just need to decide on cpu cooler and fan arrangement. Hoping to get a positive pressure build to help keep dust out.

I chose the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid which is a semi-AIO single radiator cooler. This will definitely be exhaust.

I am considering the Corsair H60/H75 but again this will also be exhaust. Where else can I mount fans in the case for intake to create positive pressure? Would I be better off with a Noctua HSF?

Thanks!

Finishing up on ordering the parts for my build...just need to decide on cpu cooler and fan arrangement. Hoping to get a positive pressure build to help keep dust out.

I chose the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid which is a semi-AIO single radiator cooler. This will definitely be exhaust.

I am considering the Corsair H60/H75 but again this will also be exhaust. Where else can I mount fans in the case for intake to create positive pressure? Would I be better off with a Noctua HSF?

Thanks!

I am using a H75 on CPU and another on GPU via NZXT G10. Both exhaust out the side. I have a slim 120 on the bottom rear as intake, and a slim 92 in the rear as intake. I haven't checked if there is positive pressure in my setup. Temps for my 6700k 4.5ghz OC under load is usually under 60f, and my gtx1080 2.05ghz OC under load is usually under 60f. Ambient temps about 77f.

I am using a H75 on CPU and another on GPU via NZXT G10. Both exhaust out the side. I have a slim 120 on the bottom rear as intake, and a slim 92 in the rear as intake. I haven't checked if there is positive pressure in my setup. Temps for my 6700k 4.5ghz OC under load is usually under 60f, and my gtx1080 2.05ghz OC under load is usually under 60f. Ambient temps about 77f.

Thanks! From what I understand, the H75 comes with two fans for push/pull setup. Were you able to fit both fans?

Hey, I currently have a 1080 founders edition in my NCase M1 and would like to change the cooler to an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV to reduce noise and temps as a few people have done before.

I believe I have all the information I need and have watched a few tear down videos of the 1080 before, however a question I can't find the answer to is how many of the small RAM/VRM heatsinks do I need to purchase as the IV cooler comes standalone.

I'm hoping to take photos along the way and produce a small step-by-step procedure including any pitfalls I come across, and upload it here in hope better inform anyone of attempting this in the future!

As a little side question, as I currently have a Noctua NH-C14 so that means I can't have a 120mm AIO, ruling out EVGAs recently released 1080/1070 Hybrid Kit. Do you think that the Accelero IV and some heatsinks for £50~ is my best option, or would you recommend taking a ~£200ish leap for a hybrid kit and a new CPU cooler? (at the moment it seems that a custom loop is out of my price range)

TLDR: How many of the small heatsinks HERE would I need?

Hi,

I am very interested by this topic.

first just to make it crystal clear, the 1080 plus the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV feet in the ncase?
Better go for the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III no?

what about using a custom 1080(in order to have better OC possibility compare to the funder edition ``8 pin`` alimentation))? And in the case of the founder edition, by how much do you reduce temp and noise using the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV or III ?

I will for sur look at your video!

Last edited:
It's about 20mm, so you can only do it if you use a slim fan (<=15mm). Though you might have to source some long M4 screws to make it work.

Thanks Necere. Considering that, and that I want a unified fan theme for my build, I have a follow-up. What about mounting a single HDD in the middle of the cage, with a standard 25mm thick fan between the side panel bracket and HDD cage; what would be the gap between the cage and PSU in that case, if anything.

My overall plan layout-wise would be the following, let me know if you guys see an issue with it:
- Corsair SF-600
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- Noctua NH-U9S with two NF-A9 fans blowing from bottom to top
- Noctua NF-A9 exhaust fan at the rear (Assuming it's clear of the CPU cooler)
- Samsung 850 EVO SSD on back side of front panel
- Panasonic UJ-265 ODD on front side of front panel
- Side panel bracket and HDD cage installed with 25mm thick fan sandwiched between
---> Only one HDD installed in middle of cage
---> Is it possible to fit a 140mm x 25mm in this location if it has mounting holes for 120mm? Specifically I'm looking at the Noctua NF-A15 (140x150x25mm)
---> If it's not possible, is it the CPU cooler, SSD, front panel of the case, or a combination that the NF-A15 clashes with?
- GTX 1070 (Not sure which, but leaning toward the ASUS Strix)
- Two Noctua NF-F12 fans below the GPU

Thanks!

Set both as intake through the side panel. Radiators always work better with cool air, you have a filter there to keep out dust and the air will go right out the top, you will have positive pressure without the need for additional fan. I have a 240mm mounted as intake and I clean the filter once a week and have no dust in the case. Plus I have excellent temps.

This may have been addressed somewhere in the rest of the the read, but does anyone make higher quality plugs for the rear water line ports? The rubber looks kinda crappy and I'd like to see if there is a higher quality plug that can be purchased. Thanks!

Thanks! From what I understand, the H75 comes with two fans for push/pull setup. Were you able to fit both fans?

No, I'm only using one 120mm fan push/exhaust per radiator. Here is my build:
Upgrade's Completed Build - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition - PCPartPicker
Note that not all the photographs on that site are the latest and greatest.

FYI - I did get better CPU and GPU temps when I set the radiator fans to push/intake. but the rest of the case components was running really warm. The case itself was also warm, that's why I switched the rad fans to exhaust. I will just have to dust off the rad / components regularly.

Last edited:
It isn't possible [with most motherboards]. I see he's also got a 140mm fan in the lower position, which isn't normally possible with SFX since it runs into the PSU.

The lower 140mm fan is an extremely tight fit. It touches both the heatpipes and the PSU, but just barely. I can take more pics if anyone need them

Hey, I currently have a 1080 founders edition in my NCase M1 and would like to change the cooler to an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV to reduce noise and temps as a few people have done before.

I believe I have all the information I need and have watched a few tear down videos of the 1080 before, however a question I can't find the answer to is how many of the small RAM/VRM heatsinks do I need to purchase as the IV cooler comes standalone.

I'm hoping to take photos along the way and produce a small step-by-step procedure including any pitfalls I come across, and upload it here in hope better inform anyone of attempting this in the future!

As a little side question, as I currently have a Noctua NH-C14 so that means I can't have a 120mm AIO, ruling out EVGAs recently released 1080/1070 Hybrid Kit. Do you think that the Accelero IV and some heatsinks for £50~ is my best option, or would you recommend taking a ~£200ish leap for a hybrid kit and a new CPU cooler? (at the moment it seems that a custom loop is out of my price range)

TLDR: How many of the small heatsinks HERE would I need?

That would be awesome! I am planning on getting a 1070 and was wanting to get an accelero III so i dont have noise and temp issues like i do with my 970. It would also allow me to get a more powerful 1070 and overclock too. I recently got rid of my aio and switched to the dark rock tf, now a 1070 with an accelero is all i need to finish it

Does anyone knows if the Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium Edition will fit on a Ncase M1???

It is not mentioned in the GTX 1080 compatibility list

Here are the card speficications:

::Palit Products - GeForce® GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition ::

Thanks

The width and length dimensions are good (285 mm X 133 mm), but this only leaves 7 mm for the PCI-E power cables and connectors. The Gallery images at that webpage are renders instead of photos and I cannot tell if the power sockets are recessed or not. If they are not, then it will be very difficult to fit the power cables into the card and still get the M1 side panel on. Also, not that the card is listed as being 2.5 slots in height. This will limit the space under the card for full thickness (25 mm) fans or a 3.5 inch hard drive. Good luck.

UPDATE: I found several photos in a review on Guru3D that shows the power sockets on the card are flush with the top edge of the PCB. This is bad news for connecting the power cables and fitting this card into the M1.

If you mod your powersupply to use the slim/stub PCI-E power connectors at a right angle you should be able to make it work. But yea 7mm is a really tight fit.

Does the EVGA 1080 FTW fit?
Specs show 128.631mm but I noticed the compatibility says 120mm at the power connectors to fit.

Photos looks super close... has anyone tried?

Does anyone knows if the Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium Edition will fit on a Ncase M1???

It is not mentioned in the GTX 1080 compatibility list

Here are the card speficications:

::Palit Products - GeForce® GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition ::

Thanks

The width and length dimensions are good (285 mm X 133 mm), but this only leaves 7 mm for the PCI-E power cables and connectors. The Gallery images at that webpage are renders instead of photos and I cannot tell if the power sockets are recessed or not. If they are not, then it will be very difficult to fit the power cables into the card and still get the M1 side panel on. Also, not that the card is listed as being 2.5 slots in height. This will limit the space under the card for full thickness (25 mm) fans or a 3.5 inch hard drive. Good luck.

UPDATE: I found several photos in a review on Guru3D that shows the power sockets on the card are flush with the top edge of the PCB. This is bad news for connecting the power cables and fitting this card into the M1.
Yeah, the PCIe power connectors excluding the cables are 10mm tall, so there's no way that card will fit if it's 133mm tall at the connectors.

It almost seems like there's an alternate standard PCB design for the GTX 1080/1070 that all the AIB vendors are using in their aftermarket cards, that's taller and includes six and eight pin power connectors. I don't know how else to explain so many tall-PCB cards available from different vendors practically at launch.

Does the EVGA 1080 FTW fit?
Specs show 128.631mm but I noticed the compatibility says 120mm at the power connectors to fit.

Photos looks super close... has anyone tried?
Someone did that recently. Try the thread search:

OGuuIuE.png

Sigh. In a dilemma between the silver or black color. My color theme seems like it is black/white. I really like the silver but I'm thinking it will clash with the theme.

Sigh. In a dilemma between the silver or black color. My color theme seems like it is black/white. I really like the silver but I'm thinking it will clash with the theme.

You can order seperate side panels and they are tool-less to swap out. So...

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies to my earlier question.

After looking at different cooling options I've found a retailer which should have the EVGA Hybrid 1080 kit in stock soon.

As I understand it the custom EVGA Hybrid with the larger PCB and 2x8Pin will not fit inside the NCase M1, however as the Hybrid Kit is designed to fit on the reference PCB does anyone know if it will fit inside the NCase? (As the 980ti kit fit was able to fit)
I've looked through this thread but I can't find a solid answer so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies to my earlier question.

After looking at different cooling options I've found a retailer which should have the EVGA Hybrid 1080 kit in stock soon.

As I understand it the custom EVGA Hybrid with the larger PCB and 2x8Pin will not fit inside the NCase M1, however as the Hybrid Kit is designed to fit on the reference PCB does anyone know if it will fit inside the NCase? (As the 980ti kit fit was able to fit)
I've looked through this thread but I can't find a solid answer so any help would be greatly appreciated!

The specs on the website says it has a width of 121mm / 4.76in, so it should fit perfectly fine.

The specs on the website says it has a width of 121mm / 4.76in, so it should fit perfectly fine.

Thanks!
Just so I don't feel stupid the width of 121mm isn't the size of the radiator & fan is it?

I'm thinking about picking one up and returning it if the pipes don't bend enough.

You can order seperate side panels and they are tool-less to swap out. So...

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
Back when I ordered the V1 model I couldn't decide which color either. So I ended up buying two. One silver and one black. Pricey but it solved my dilemma. I just told myself I was supporting Necere's idea to justify it. LOL

If your on Facebook search aurum radius. He has a parts list of everything he has and nice pics. I've decided I'm gonna water cool myself and looking to mimic his setup
Thanks for that link...Amazing how some M1 cases look sooo full and others like this one are so clean..

I have to make those drawings, so tell me specifically what you're looking for, and I'll see what I can do.

Okay, details... what I don't know is which pump and reservoir I can use and where to place it. Knowing the mount options would help. Same thing goes for common obstructions such PSU installed in position X and what the remaining space might be. Once I know which way I can mount my PSU, rads, fans and pumps I can try arranging things, rule out incompatible parts. Most interesting section would be the front part of the frame and mount wholes for the mainboard.

Thanks for considering my request :)

Project Pulsar has been assembled, save for the M1, which will ship on the 27th. In the meantime, the system is cheating on the M1 with an SG13, and feeling guilty about it. The stars of the show are the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac and the M1 in absentia.

TMI;DR

Much respect to ASRock. They're not afraid to go where no man has gone before. True enthusiasts. You can tell the motherboard was created with much thought and love for the craft. You can see just how densely it's packed, every square millimeter used by connections and chips, and that's awesomely contrasted by the huge LGA 2011-v3 socket. I got the 6800K stable at 4.2GHz at 1.25v VCore and 1.2v Cache (highest it'll go before requiring ridiculous voltage). The Zalman LQ-315 cooler + GentleTyphoon fan keep it at 75 C at full load with synthetic tests, and 35C at idle. I've set up the fan to stay at its minimum 900 RPM until the system hits 70 degrees, which under normal conditions never happens, and the pump is very silent, so CPU cooling is almost dead silent. The Zalman cooler also glows blue, which goes well with the grey/blue theme of the build, though none of that will be visible in the M1, but still ;). The SF600 PSU, on the other hand, is by far the loudest component in the system, even the 1070 FE can't compete while gaming. But that's because it's set up in the SG13 case to intake from the inside the case, so it's active exhaust + that case gets really hot while gaming. In the M1, I will have the SF600 intake fresh air directly from the outside, and I'm hoping that will reduce noise significantly, otherwise at load right now that thing is super loud. I love the system overall though, and I can't wait for its new home to arrive. Thanks for reading, sorry for the spam.

PCPartPicker part list: Project Pulsar

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Zalman LQ-315
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: NCase M1
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 57.7 CFM 120mm Fan x2

Other: Asetek LGA 2011 Narrow ILM Retention Ring Kit
Other: SilverStone All Black Sleeved 1-to-2 Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable x3
Other: DEMCiflex NCase M1 120mm 4-Pack, Top, Rear, PSU Dust Filters
Other: Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste
Other: Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal Cooling Material Remover and Surface Purifier (ACN-60ML)
Other: 120mm Anti-Vibration Rubber Fan Gasket - Black (2-Pack)
Other: Blanking Grommet 25mm x2

tC3D8au.jpg

ImSGFz4.jpg

cP5ttQV.jpg

dg3Y3rS.jpg

SrioqR7.jpg

Project Pulsar has been assembled, save for the M1, which will ship on the 27th. In the meantime, the system is cheating on the M1 with an SG13, and feeling guilty about it. The stars of the show are the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac and the M1 in absentia.

TMI;DR

Much respect to ASRock. They're not afraid to go where no man has gone before. True enthusiasts. You can tell the motherboard was created with much thought and love for the craft. You can see just how densely it's packed, every square millimeter used by connections and chips, and that's awesomely contrasted by the huge LGA 2011-v3 socket. I got the 6800K stable at 4.2GHz at 1.25v VCore and 1.2v Cache (highest it'll go before requiring ridiculous voltage). The Zalman LQ-315 cooler + GentleTyphoon fan keep it at 75 C at full load with synthetic tests, and 35C at idle. I've set up the fan to stay at its minimum 900 RPM until the system hits 70 degrees, which under normal conditions never happens, and the pump is very silent, so CPU cooling is almost dead silent. The Zalman cooler also glows blue, which goes well with the grey/blue theme of the build, though none of that will be visible in the M1, but still ;). The SF600 PSU, on the other hand, is by far the loudest component in the system, even the 1070 FE can't compete while gaming. But that's because it's set up in the SG13 case to intake from the inside the case, so it's active exhaust + that case gets really hot while gaming. In the M1, I will have the SF600 intake fresh air directly from the outside, and I'm hoping that will reduce noise significantly, otherwise at load right now that thing is super loud. I love the system overall though, and I can't wait for its new home to arrive. Thanks for reading, sorry for the spam.

Other: Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal Cooling Material Remover and Surface Purifier (ACN-60ML)

tC3D8au.jpg

ImSGFz4.jpg

cP5ttQV.jpg

dg3Y3rS.jpg

SrioqR7.jpg
Good luck with the build.

I just ordered the M1 v5 silver (with optical) a few minutes ago. As you said, sounds like it's shipping @ July 27th, and will take 1-2 weeks for me to get it.

I have not yet ordered my other components, but I'm leaning to:
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, Corsair AIO, EVGA FE 1080 I think is the one I need to get (blows out), Corsair LPX DDR4 (2x8GB), 1TB SSD, and the Corsair SF600 (debating getting the custom shorter cables).

I am concerned with the build, as over the years I have assembled 5-6 large case rigs with lots of room to work in.

Thanks! Everything is mostly the same for the z170 Skylake builds, except if you are going for custom sleeved cables your 24pin doesn't have to be as long as on the x99 ITX board because of where it's placed. And it's even easier to find AIO coolers for the z170 boards because you need the asatek x99 narrow ILM bracket to even use the corsair h105 and coolers like that. The preferred orientation is the same too, which is, turning the CPU block upside down (corsair logo upside down) so the tubes come out the left side which makes it way easier to get the side bracket mounted and get the case to close and fit.

Hopefully this helps!
Just ordered the M1 an hour ago(silver, optical slot)... Shipping @ July 27, and 1-2 weeks for the ship...So, should have by mid-August. Psyched.... :)

TMI;DR

tC3D8au.jpg

ImSGFz4.jpg

cP5ttQV.jpg

dg3Y3rS.jpg

SrioqR7.jpg
May I ask what your reason was for choosing X99 over Z170? From what I was able to learn (with a minimum of research) X99 benefits SLI builds. Are there other arguments for X99 over Z170?

finally got my watercooled gpu and everything was a tight fit... but it fits..

msi 1070 sea hawk x with noctua 120 ippc fan

both fans are blowing into the radiators to exhaust hot air, the rear panel 90mm acts as intake

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

TMI;DR

<snip>

In my experience, you really need cool air blowing onto the power supply. Just having it intake from the outside is not enough to quiet it down. Check out my posts in this thread as I went through something very similar.

I just ordered the M1 yesterday. (Asus Z170I Pro Gaming , Corsair AIO, EVGA 1080-FE, Corsair SF600 etc, to be ordered shortly)

To make the build easier, should I get a set of custom, shortened power cables, and is there one brand over another you would recommend? And how do I know what length to have the cables shortened to?

Is there a log, website post, or YouTube video describing the build in detail with my specific components that you are aware of? Any help/ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

Back