NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Working on bracket for a vandal switch with blue ring. What do you guys think?

Looks good, well done!
I am about to do the same, I finally don't need the audio and USB front ports.
Are you happy with your design, anything to improve?

I didn't have enough posts to link anything... hopefully this works?
PDROBgPl.jpg

Any clue where to get this low profile connector?

Pretty simple and very sturdy. Using some of the spare m3 screws that came with the case. I never use front usb or audio. Just hope the vandal switch doesn't stick out too far. Hopefully get switch here in few days

Pretty simple and very sturdy. Using some of the spare m3 screws that came with the case. I never use front usb or audio. Just hope the vandal switch doesn't stick out too far. Hopefully get switch here in few days

You should smoke out the borders of your window to hide the clips.

I'm actually gonna get very light tint and just wrap the whole thing. Hoping coldzero will work with me

Great! Please show us the final result! :)

I'm switching back to PC after using mac for the last 12 years so this is my first PC build in a LONG time. I've spec'd out a build and bought everything today:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Silverstone SOD02B DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan ($19.79 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM 46.4 CFM 92mm Fan ($16.78 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell U2415 24.1" 60Hz Monitor ($255.21 @ B&H)
Other: NCase M1 ($230.00)
Total: $2075.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 14:24 EDT-0400

However I just found this forum and decided to run by you guys to see what you think regarding my cooling setup as coolers have come a long way. My main goal is to have this PC as quiet as possible. I don't think I'll be overclocking and I will hardly be doing any gaming (GPU is for Adobe Lightroom and yes it's probably overkill). I originally thought about the H105 cooler from Corsair, but I was told the pump was noisy all the time and that I should look into the NH-U9S (which I bought). However since I just found this forum, and this thread is 500+ pages, you guys could probably steer me in the correct direction.

My current plan with the fans/cooler that I bought was to install the them in the same config as Ruzeki (Ruzeki's Completed Build - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X - PCPartPicker) over on PCpartpciker with a 120 on the side, the one 92mm on the cooler and one 92mm on the rear.

162500.c73f7723b6674910a2903a57e5aa219b.fa383d63bae0b27cd2de59b295f0b031.1600.jpg

Is this a good setup for a cool and quiet rig? I originally thought about watercooling for a cleaner look and I assumed it would be quieter with the larger fans but didn't take into account any pump noise. If there is a setup that you'd recommend (or a config different with the fans/cooler I have), please let me know. Thanks!

TL:DR Recommend a cooler for a stock clocked 6700k and 1070 reference that will be as quiet as possible.

I'm switching back to PC after using mac for the last 12 years so this is my first PC build in a LONG time. I've spec'd out a build and bought everything today:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Silverstone SOD02B DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan ($19.79 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM 46.4 CFM 92mm Fan ($16.78 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell U2415 24.1" 60Hz Monitor ($255.21 @ B&H)
Other: NCase M1 ($230.00)
Total: $2075.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 14:24 EDT-0400

However I just found this forum and decided to run by you guys to see what you think regarding my cooling setup as coolers have come a long way. My main goal is to have this PC as quiet as possible. I don't think I'll be overclocking and I will hardly be doing any gaming (GPU is for Adobe Lightroom and yes it's probably overkill). I originally thought about the H105 cooler from Corsair, but I was told the pump was noisy all the time and that I should look into the NH-U9S (which I bought). However since I just found this forum, and this thread is 500+ pages, you guys could probably steer me in the correct direction.

My current plan with the fans/cooler that I bought was to install the them in the same config as Ruzeki (Ruzeki's Completed Build - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X - PCPartPicker) over on PCpartpciker with a 120 on the side, the one 92mm on the cooler and one 92mm on the rear.

162500.c73f7723b6674910a2903a57e5aa219b.fa383d63bae0b27cd2de59b295f0b031.1600.jpg

Is this a good setup for a cool and quiet rig? I originally thought about watercooling for a cleaner look and I assumed it would be quieter with the larger fans but didn't take into account any pump noise. If there is a setup that you'd recommend (or a config different with the fans/cooler I have), please let me know. Thanks!

TL:DR Recommend a cooler for a stock clocked 6700k and 1070 reference that will be as quiet as possible.
Hello again :D

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Has anyone tried to fit the Gigabyte Extreme Gaming yet? I know the G1 fits, but I read earlier in this thread that the Extreme "might" fit. Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like it's actually 2.5 slots wide, so you wouldn't be able to fit any fans under it I don't think. Probably would be better off with the G1 for temps in that case.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how to watercool CPU+GPU in M1, classic config using one side 240mm rad and one bottom DDC pump.
What kind of fittings do you use?
There is obvious need for right angled fittings, but i heard many stories of leak because of some rotating fittings, and i don't know how am i supposed to set non-rotating right angled fittings in the correct orientation?

Finally got my CPU overclock at [email protected]. I have made small modifications to the airflow to optimise it a little and it lowers the temperatures some what. This setup is stable after 4 hours real temp. Cinebench R15 score is 1037. Will post some pictures of my build along with the full specs.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone here running a Founders Edition or any other blower style 1080? I'm looking to see what temps are with them.

Anyone here running a Founders Edition or any other blower style 1080? I'm looking to see what temps are with them.

I have a Founders Edition that I purchased on day one from the Nvidia Store. Prior to putting it under water it would reach temps of 83C and begin to throttle unfortunately. My house is fairly cool as ambient is always 19-20 in my house. Clock speed would fluctuate as well as I reached 80+.
Putting it under water in my loop I now get max temps around 39-40C and overclocked to a steady boost clock of 2199 using Heaven Benchmark.
Hope this helps

I have a Founders Edition that I purchased on day one from the Nvidia Store. Prior to putting it under water it would reach temps of 83C and begin to throttle unfortunately. My house is fairly cool as ambient is always 19-20 in my house. Clock speed would fluctuate as well as I reached 80+.
Putting it under water in my loop I now get max temps around 39-40C and overclocked to a steady boost clock of 2199 using Heaven Benchmark.
Hope this helps

I have the same experience with the Gigabyte Founders Edition 1080. Same heat (80F) and throttling.
I have attached a G10 Kraken with H75 to the GPU, with small cooler heat sinks to the board components, and runs at high 50s under load, with OC around ~2160.

Hope this helps

So the 1080 FE is useless in the M1 without water modifying the GPU to water-cooling??

No, it is not useless. For better airflow (or breathing) just put 1-2 Fans under the cart ;).

Hmm my open model isn't doing so well but it's doing slightly better than the founders edition. I was wondering if I should go with a blower instead of an open cooler since I want to sell my card and pick up a different 1080 that has two HDMI ports. Maybe I should also sell the CPU cooler and go for watercooling.

I get peaks like 92°C with battlefront, blower at full speed. (and 60°C for the 6700K)
Reason i want to set a watercooling, but i don't know well how to set the right angle fittings on the correct position.

So the 1080 FE is useless in the M1 without water modifying the GPU to water-cooling??
We need to put to rest the idea that the throttling at 83c is actual throttling. If you were to keep the base clock of the card at its stock clock the card wouldnt even hit 80c. What happens is that the GPU boost technology will push your clock as you are gaming. Eventually it will reach a point where it cannot push any further due to the thermal threshold and it will fluctuate in that area. This is NOT throttling. It is GPU boost tech doing exactly what it is supposed to do...

I get peaks like 92°C with battlefront, blower at full speed. (and 60°C for the 6700K)
Reason i want to set a watercooling, but i don't know well how to set the right angle fittings on the correct position.
Those temps seem really high to me... What is your ambient temp and what kind of set up do you have inside the case?

We need to put to rest the idea that the throttling at 83c is actual throttling. If you were to keep the base clock of the card at its stock clock the card wouldnt even hit 80c. What happens is that the GPU boost technology will push your clock as you are gaming. Eventually it will reach a point where it cannot push any further due to the thermal threshold and it will fluctuate in that area. This is NOT throttling. It is GPU boost tech doing exactly what it is supposed to do...

You're right, my apologies Mr. Minzi! I should have clarified that the card is overclocked and that is why it begins to throttle. Leaving it at stock clock as you stated temperatures would be much better.

You're right, my apologies Mr. Minzi! I should have clarified that the card is overclocked and that is why it begins to throttle. Leaving it at stock clock as you stated temperatures would be much better.
Just wanted to make sure people understood that the FE is not actually that bad.

If you tweak the max temperature and max fan speed, you can avoid throttling, and even get away with a higher overclock. Watch this:

Also, do putting fans under the graphics card in the M1 actually do anything? I've read several conflicting posts on this. It seems that if you put a 120mm fan right under the blower fan of a reference card, that should help, though on the other hand, the card is not really constrained by lack of fresh intake and the temperature at the bottom of the case is probably not much warmer than ambient. It's not like the blower fan can intake any faster if another fan is pushing air into it, if anything the currents might conflict.

Last edited:
Reactions: al007
like this

Okay, that makes better sense... ;)

is it worth buying an H75 and Corsair/MSI 1070 AIO for my build or should I just stick with NH-U9S and 1070 FE?

Oh now you ask that ;) That's when I ended up with after your recommendation, which seems to be a good one because that seems to be the quietest fan out there. Though you can't deny the appeal of dual rads in such a small chassis.

Hi everyone. New here! I was looking into building an NCASE and I was hoping for some help regarding my build. This is what I have come up with for now. I'd link a pcpartpicker link but it's my first post so I can't sadly.

CPU - i5 6600k

CPU Cooler - Noctua L9i

Mobo - Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5

RAM - Kingston Fury 2x8GB

Storage - Planning on getting a Sandisk Ultra II 960GB with my two smaller SDDs or could get a 2TB HDD instead.

GPU - GTX 1070 (depends which one will fit inside my ncase)

Case - NCASE M1 v5

PSU - Corsair SF 600W

Fans - 2x Noctua F12 (GPU bottom intake), 1x Noctua A9 FLX (exhaust), 1x Noctua P12 (side intake)

My intended use is for my primary machine which I use for some gaming at 1440p@60fps and light productivity such as outlook, powerpoints, light use of excel. I regularly have lots of web browsing tabs in the background. I'm not too fussed about AA. I still need to finish Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and Tomb Raider. I also play a little overwatch casually. Any recommendations for a good IPS 1440p/4k monitor (available in UK) would be greatly appreciated too.

My previous PC is slowly dying since the HDD died and then my HD7870 died so I was looking into building my NCASE and I have ordered it. I have really wanted to build a powerful ITX system for a long time and after looking at all the options I decided I'd pay extra for a premium high end ITX case that I'd enjoy having on my desk. The only parts that I can salvage from my current PC are my two SSDs (120GB + 500GB) but I need more storage. I am willing to change the SSD for a 2TB HDD if anyone has recommendations.

It's also highly unlikely I'll overclock my CPU since I don't play CPU intensive games like Total War so I'm happy to change to an i5 6500 but I'm not sure if a stock cooler will handle such a small case. If going for a i5 6500 I can use a cheaper mobo but I'm not sure which one and I don't really understand the differences in simple language (H110, B150, H170) and whether the lack of features compared to a Z170 will affect my build or performance. I also want built in wifi for the Mobo.

I'm also unsure if the Mobo has enough 3 or 4 pins to handle the 4 case fans. I feel the case fans are required to cool the system and I don't feel confident in setting up custom liquid cooling for both CPU and GPU in such a small case. I also move for work every six months so I don't want a leak when moving. I'd much rather stick to air cooling if possible.

Thank you for any input.

Last edited:
Oh now you ask that ;) That's when I ended up with after your recommendation, which seems to be a good one because that seems to be the quietest fan out there. Though you can't deny the appeal of dual rads in such a small chassis.
Hahaha both are great options! My case doesnt come for another 2 weeks, so I will be constantly overthinking and tweaking my part list till then. I got too much time on my hands...

Hahaha both are great options! My case doesnt come for another 2 weeks, so I will be constantly overthinking and tweaking my part list till then. I got too much time on my hands...

Agreed. I'm also over thinking this. My case won't be here until August so I've got much longer flip flop on ideas. Not sure if this was posted here, or if you saw it on reddit, but a user over there fit his 1070 Seahawk with a few photos:

Hi everyone. New here! I was looking into building an NCASE and I was hoping for some help regarding my build. This is what I have come up with for now. I'd link a pcpartpicker link but it's my first post so I can't sadly.

CPU - i5 3600k

CPU Cooler - Noctua L9i

Mobo - Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5

RAM - Kingston Fury 2x8GB

Storage - Planning on getting a Sandisk Ultra II 960GB with my two smaller SDDs or could get a 2TB HDD instead.

GPU - GTX 1070 (depends which one will fit inside my ncase)

Case - NCASE M1 v5

PSU - Corsair SF 600W

Fans - 2x Noctua F12 (GPU bottom intake), 1x Noctua A9 FLX (exhaust), 1x Noctua P12 (side intake)

My intended use is for my primary machine which I use for some gaming at 1440p@60fps and light productivity such as outlook, powerpoints, light use of excel. I regularly have lots of web browsing tabs in the background. I'm not too fussed about AA. I still need to finish Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and Tomb Raider. I also play a little overwatch casually. Any recommendations for a good IPS 1440p/4k monitor (available in UK) would be greatly appreciated too.

My previous PC is slowly dying since the HDD died and then my HD7870 died so I was looking into building my NCASE and I have ordered it. I have really wanted to build a powerful ITX system for a long time and after looking at all the options I decided I'd pay extra for a premium high end ITX case that I'd enjoy having on my desk. The only parts that I can salvage from my current PC are my two SSDs (120GB + 500GB) but I need more storage. I am willing to change the SSD for a 2TB HDD if anyone has recommendations.

It's also highly unlikely I'll overclock my CPU since I don't play CPU intensive games like Total War so I'm happy to change to an i5 6500 but I'm not sure if a stock cooler will handle such a small case. If going for a i5 6500 I can use a cheaper mobo but I'm not sure which one and I don't really understand the differences in simple language (H110, B150, H170) and whether the lack of features compared to a Z170 will affect my build or performance. I also want built in wifi for the Mobo.

I'm also unsure if the Mobo has enough 3 or 4 pins to handle the 4 case fans. I feel the case fans are required to cool the system and I don't feel confident in setting up custom liquid cooling for both CPU and GPU in such a small case. I also move for work every six months so I don't want a leak when moving. I'd much rather stick to air cooling if possible.

Thank you for any input.

Couple things I can recommend, I have a Samsung Spinpoint 2.5 2TB drive and it is really good and reliable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SA...eywords=samsung+spinpoint+m9t+st2000lm003+2tb

6179fd07bd.jpg

As far as the 4 fans go I got one of these, 4 channel pci fan control, works really well PC 4 Channel 3-Pin 3pin PCI Cooling Fan Speed Controller Support Turn OFF Fan

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back