NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Wonder when we will start to see some Pascals with integrated AIO water cooling…?

A Hybrid 1070 with a Corsair H75 AIO on the CPU would be quick & easy water cooling for this chassis…!

Does the newly announced Gigabyte 1070 mini going to fit? If the power connectors are still at the top the extra height of the PCB looks like its going to make this a no-go.

I just got my NCASE and started moving my parts from my old case! Has anyone else tried installing a 140mm tall GPU? I was able to wiggle my MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X and had to remove one of the plastic side panel connectors. I know i'm gonna have to leave the side panel off because of the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors, but I'd like to put on the side panel on eventually. I'm about to order those modDIY special mini low profile PCI-E extension cables and see if that helps any...

This is my first post so I can't post any links yet. But if anyone wants to see some of the fitment pics I've taken just look up my username on imgur for the album.

Wonder when we will start to see some Pascals with integrated AIO water cooling…?

A Hybrid 1070 with a Corsair H75 AIO on the CPU would be quick & easy water cooling for this chassis…!

GeForce GTX 1070 SEA HAWK X | MSI USA | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance They do.

Does the newly announced Gigabyte 1070 mini going to fit? If the power connectors are still at the top the extra height of the PCB looks like its going to make this a no-go.

Gigabyte lists the card at 131mm wide, should fit no problem.

Wait until you see that graphics card on a tiny mitx board, looks quite funny if you have never built an itx build before. I think you will be very impressed with the m1, it is an incredible little case.

Thanks for the thought. I know, I can't wait -- I haven't seen an ITX board in real life either, so I suspect it'll be quite comical to install the huge card in it. I can't wait to get the ASRock X99 motherboard, along with the M1 it is a true engineering marvel and the star of the show.

Does anyone know where I can get a 92mm black aluminum cover plate for the M1's rear exhaust? I can't seem to find one anywhere... CaseLabs sells them in 120mm and 140mm, but not 92. I want to channel all exhaust in the M1 through the top.

just installed the nhc14s in the Ncase, used 25mm for bottom and slim on top (used cryorig fans). Looks great,got cablemods sleeves - wish I had went longer length for this asrock x99 mobo but maybe next time.

Is there a list of all compatible air coolers with this case?
Also do you think if the future will be there be a white version?

just installed the nhc14s in the Ncase, used 25mm for bottom and slim on top (used cryorig fans). Looks great,got cablemods sleeves - wish I had went longer length for this asrock x99 mobo but maybe next time.

Which cables did you buy for the PSU? Cablemods has tons of cables...now I am confused.

I had him do full cable at stock lengths, if you have the Asrock x99 board the 24 pin is way out of the way. Definitely suggest longer 24 pin on this board. May reorder at longer length but I spent like 150 on sata, 24, 8 pin eps, 8 pin pcie.

I've completed my V5 build...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £240.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £42.00)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£123.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For £45.00)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For £138.99)
Storage: Crucial MX200 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £230.00)
Video Card: OcUK GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For £320.00) **from previous system
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For £95.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For £23.00)
Other: NCASE M1 (Purchased)

The Noctua is working nicely with one fan - I've orientated it to vent out the top (hot air rises ;0), plus a spare 80mm Noctua I had pulling in air from the back. No side or bottom fans. The blower style GTX970 also works well and there is plenty of space at the back of the case for the hot air to vent clear of the intake fan I have for the CPU. Also very please with the Corsair PSU, taking in air from the side and venting out of the top.

20160703_182749_001.jpg

I've stress tested with Prime95 (1 hour)...

upload_2016-7-3_18-36-43.png

and Furmark...

upload_2016-7-3_18-37-16.png

I've also run Prime95 + Furmark together without much change in the temps, so the hot air venting out of the back of the case doesn't seem to be an issue with the intake for the CPU just above it.

All in all I'm delighted with this case - as many have already done my praise to the makers - what a great job!

[...]Of the cards shown on WCCFtech, here's a preliminary compatibility breakdown based on eyeballing the pics:

Should fit without issue:
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 (not the FTW or Classified version)
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming WindForce G1
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Aero

Might fit:
  • GALAX/Colorful iGame GTX 1080 X-TOP-8G
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming WindForce x3
  • Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill X3 and X4
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SeaHawk (same stiff tubing as Corsair GT and v2 AIOs)

Almost certainly won't fit (without modding):
  • ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Classified ACX 3.0
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Hydro Copper
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Hybrid
  • Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix
  • GALAX/Colorful GeForce GTX 1080 HOF and Custom Gamer
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR 2X
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP!
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 PGF Edition

I don't think GALAX and Colorful are not affiliated and don't OEM each other. "Galax GeForce GTX 1080 iGame" in that wccftech article probably is a typo and it should be Colorful iGame X-TOP, whereas 1080 HOF is strictly GALAX. Speaking of GALAX there is another non-reference GTX1080 by GALAX called 1080 EXOC not in your list.

Hello again everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can think of any air coolers that are compatible with the m1 that would allow me to hit an overclock of ~4.4ghz on my 6700k... If not I will stick with the H105 as my cooling option. Also, can someone explain why the Noctua Nh-c14s is not compatible with this case? I really like the idea of having that cooler on my cpu and having 2 120mm fans on the side blowing cold air over it, but I read somewhere that it wouldnt fit...

It's compatible just installed in my ncase, have to do slim fan on top for panel to fit. Will see if hard drive cage will go in but I doubt it

Nhc14s - more info, bracket fits with hard drive cage removed. Should be able to fit some nice 120 slim fans (I prefer the clean look without bracket).

Bracket with hdd cage def not going to work

Bracket with cage removed

OK. Here is my question about cooling... What would you guys recommend for quiet performance and slight oc to 4.4 on a 6700k. My options are H105, NH-C14 (If someone can find one), or the NH-U9S. Which one would you guys choose and why? I would really prefer an air solution because I will be flying a lot with the machine and I am not sure how well AIOs do with flight pressure...

Can you tell us pls which length 24 you chosed with cablemod ? Im about to buy I was thinking 250 mm ( that`s the minimum on the homepage ) is that the one which you have ?

OK. Here is my question about cooling... What would you guys recommend for quiet performance and slight oc to 4.4 on a 6700k. My options are H105, NH-C14 (If someone can find one), or the NH-U9S. Which one would you guys choose and why? I would really prefer an air solution because I will be flying a lot with the machine and I am not sure how well AIOs do with flight pressure...

I bought H105 and died after 1 week the pump inside ) I recommend you the NH-C14 !

Noctua NH-C14 ( I think this is the besat air option )

baHoeZf.jpg

Corsair H105
Xp3C64H.jpg

Can you tell us pls which length 24 you chosed with cablemod ? Im about to buy I was thinking 250 mm ( that`s the minimum on the homepage ) is that the one which you have ?

Whatever was the stock length I used. If your running the x99 board your gonna want to go longer. May be able to get measurements later and will snap close ups for you

Reactions: BST4R
like this
Any chance you can buy the Left side panel as a spare part again??
I know some people want to buy single side panels so they can mod theirs, and I've brought it up with w360, but unfortunately I couldn't convince him. His reasons are that we don't have proper packaging for it, and it costs too much to ship individual side panels.

Need that GTX1070 mini for my nCase M1.

Gigabyte lists the card at 131mm wide, should fit no problem.
How much space does that leave for the power connectors, though? That's the question. We have 140mm total, and the power connectors need a minimum of at least 15mm, so it really depends on how recessed the connectors are.

I just got my NCASE and started moving my parts from my old case! Has anyone else tried installing a 140mm tall GPU? I was able to wiggle my MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X and had to remove one of the plastic side panel connectors. I know i'm gonna have to leave the side panel off because of the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors, but I'd like to put on the side panel on eventually. I'm about to order those modDIY special mini low profile PCI-E extension cables and see if that helps any..
Unfortunately, I don't think they will. The power connectors on that card aren't recessed at all, so there's really no room for them.

Is there a list of all compatible air coolers with this case?
Also do you think if the future will be there be a white version?
Check the Google Docs spreadsheet.

No white version is planned.

Is the NCASE m1 able to hold up air-flow/cooling wise to other mITX cases on the market currently? (what are even the good mITX cooled cases?)

The Phanteks Evolv Mini-ITX has quite good cooling, per several website and YouTube reviews I've seen. I'm between getting the M1 and the Evolv.

The C14 is the best air cooler for the M1. It has the most surface area, and it is top-down, which the M1 is optimized for. But you cannot use the rest of the side bracket with it. The U9S should be able to handle that overclock no problem. You'll see slightly higher temps, but it should be perfectly fine. I recently saw a review where the U9S was hitting mid-70s under load with a 4790k OCed to 4.6GHz at 1.3v, and Skylake overclocks a bit better, so you'll have no issue whatsoever. The H105 will outperform both by up to 10 degrees, but you'll have a more crowded system with liquid in it, and it costs more, and again, it takes up the entire bracket. So... all 3 will work, it comes down to personal preference/utility/looks/marginal difference in performance. As far as noise, the Noctua coolers will be quiet, the H105 won't be very noisy if configured properly, but Corsair fans are much louder and worse in every way than Noctuas. As far as air pressure, there's very little air in AIOs, and I've never heard of AIOs exploding in flight, so you should be okay there. BUT if you want to take your M1 in your carryon, you may have issues with security b/c of the liquid in it...

My personal view on this is, if I can hit the maximum OC possible while below 1.3v, with fans spinning at ~ 1000 RPM and temperature under 80 C, then I don't need anything bigger and I'd rather keep the other half of my bracket for potential future use, e.g. a graphics card with an AIO. I chose a 120mm AIO for my system for that reason. I would have gone U9S, but I wanted top-down intakes and all 120mm GentleTyphoons, so that was more of an aesthetic and airflow choice, but I have serious OCD, so... these are all minor considerations. All 3 will perform perfectly well. If you don't want water, get U9S if you want to use the rest of the bracket and have slightly easier access to your motherboard, otherwise get C14 if you can find one. :)

Edit: Actually, the Dark Rock TF outperforms the C14 by a tiny bit I think, but it has compatibility issues with certain motherboards and RAM.

Last edited:
I am currently using the NHu9s and really like it. You can fit it in any orientation and it doesn't take up the second side bracket slot you can use it for something else later. I am not getting incredible temps for an overclock though. I am using a 6700k and I have to keep it at around 1.2v so it won't go above 80 using prime95. I have it on 4.3 and 1.2v right now. A lot of people have gotten better temps than me with this though so 4.4 may be doable. I can get 4.5 at about 1.28 but the temps are high 80s. I am also using the IGPU on the skylake until I can get a 1080, so I am really wondering if that is making the temps higher. Anyway the NHu9s fits great leaves room for future upgrades.

The C14 is the best air cooler for the M1. It has the most surface area, and it is top-down, which the M1 is optimized for. But you cannot use the rest of the side bracket with it. The U9S should be able to handle that overclock no problem. You'll see slightly higher temps, but it should be perfectly fine. I recently saw a review where the U9S was hitting mid-70s under load with a 4790k OCed to 4.6GHz at 1.3v, and Skylake overclocks a bit better, so you'll have no issue whatsoever. The H105 will outperform both by up to 10 degrees, but you'll have a more crowded system with liquid in it, and it costs more, and again, it takes up the entire bracket. So... all 3 will work, it comes down to personal preference/utility/looks/marginal difference in performance. As far as noise, the Noctua coolers will be quiet, the H105 won't be very noisy if configured properly, but Corsair fans are much louder and worse in every way than Noctuas. As far as air pressure, there's very little air in AIOs, and I've never heard of AIOs exploding in flight, so you should be okay there. BUT if you want to take your M1 in your carryon, you may have issues with security b/c of the liquid in it...

My personal view on this is, if I can hit the maximum OC possible while below 1.3v, with fans spinning at ~ 1000 RPM and temperature under 80 C, then I don't need anything bigger and I'd rather keep the other half of my bracket for potential future use, e.g. a graphics card with an AIO. I chose a 120mm AIO for my system for that reason. I would have gone U9S, but I wanted top-down intakes and all 120mm GentleTyphoons, so that was more of an aesthetic and airflow choice, but I have serious OCD, so... these are all minor considerations. All 3 will perform perfectly well. If you don't want water, get U9S if you want to use the rest of the bracket and have slightly easier access to your motherboard, otherwise get C14 if you can find one. :)

Edit: Actually, the Dark Rock TF outperforms the C14 by a tiny bit I think, but it has compatibility issues with certain motherboards and RAM.

Will the C14 work on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5?

How much space does that leave for the power connectors, though? That's the question. We have 140mm total, and the power connectors need a minimum of at least 15mm, so it really depends on how recessed the connectors are.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will. The power connectors on that card aren't recessed at all, so there's really no room for them.

Necere is right of course, looking at the card the power connector is at the top of the pcb but the fan shroud extends pasts a bit. I would guess the pcb is at least 125mm so it would be very tight. Looking on ebay I found these right angle pci power cables, has anyone tried them?
➨➨➨ Right Angle Female 6-Pin PCI-E Video Power Cables Verion 7 ➨➨➨

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am currently using the NHu9s and really like it. You can fit it in any orientation and it doesn't take up the second side bracket slot you can use it for something else later. I am not getting incredible temps for an overclock though. I am using a 6700k and I have to keep it at around 1.2v so it won't go above 80 using prime95. I have it on 4.3 and 1.2v right now. A lot of people have gotten better temps than me with this though so 4.4 may be doable. I can get 4.5 at about 1.28 but the temps are high 80s. I am also using the IGPU on the skylake until I can get a 1080, so I am really wondering if that is making the temps higher. Anyway the NHu9s fits great leaves room for future upgrades.

You should try AIDA64 or even better ASUS RealBench. Prime95 is serious overkill, in fact you may wear down your CPU testing with it for long periods of time. You should be able to cool 1.3v with the U9S while under 80 C under normal stress conditions.

Yes, it should fit any 1151 board.

You should try AIDA64 or even better ASUS RealBench. Prime95 is serious overkill, in fact you may wear down your CPU testing with it for long periods of time. You should be able to cool 1.3v with the U9S while under 80 C under normal stress conditions.

Yes, it should fit any 1151 board.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually using prime version 26.6 so it doesn't run as hot as the newer version. I get similar temps with asus realbench as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually using prime version 26.6 so it doesn't run as hot as the newer version. I get similar temps with asus realbench as well.

I see. That's good to know, I thought the U9S performed better. I think high 80s is still fine as long as the system is not too loud, but probably not worth the extra little bit of performance.

I see. That's good to know, I thought the U9S performed better. I think high 80s is still fine as long as the system is not too loud, but probably not worth the extra little bit of performance.
Yeah it is actually very quiet even with the fans running at close to 100%. And I honestly think I have something strange going on. Right now the only fans in my system are the 2 on the NHU9s. I am hoping temps drop once I disable the IGPU but i haven't been able to find any info about this online. I mean while gaming right now at 1.2v it keeps the cpu around 65 so it's fine for me, but I would like a 4.4 overclock once my build is done.

I have the panel problem again. This time I had to remove the front panel to make the computer boot. What could be wrong with my build?
This is a very strange behavior, and the only thing I can think of is that there's a loose connection or cable somewhere that only manifests when a panel pushes on it.

This is a very strange behavior, and the only thing I can think of is that there's a loose connection or cable somewhere that only manifests when a panel pushes on it.

Exactly what everyone else said to me. Guess I have to strip everything apart again.

I am running with Noctua D9L - i7 6700k @ 4.6Ghz at 1.265V I get a idle temp around 36c and max at 71c (AIDA64)... it runs right-to-left with 3 92mm NF-A9 fans mounted on it.

Last edited:
I have the U9S and it's much better for my application. I had the C12P SE14 and it didn't exhaust air at all.
Granted, I do have 2 4TB blacks as well and demciflex filters everywhere.

I am running with Noctua D9L - i7 6700k @ 4.6Ghz at 1.265V I get a idle temp around 36c and max at 71c (AIDA64)... it runs right-to-left with 3 92mm NF-A9 fans mounted on it.

Those are great temps at 1.265V, and wow you have a great chip there. :)

Yeah it is actually very quiet even with the fans running at close to 100%. And I honestly think I have something strange going on. Right now the only fans in my system are the 2 on the NHU9s. I am hoping temps drop once I disable the IGPU but i haven't been able to find any info about this online. I mean while gaming right now at 1.2v it keeps the cpu around 65 so it's fine for me, but I would like a 4.4 overclock once my build is done.

^^^ See above, this is more along the lines of what you should expect, and the U9S is actually slightly better than the D9L. You should essentially be seeing temperatures ~ 10 degrees lower at your 1.28v overclock. Could be b/c of the IGPU... Let us know if it drops when you get your discrete graphics.. I'm curious.

What motherboards do people tend to recommend around here? I was planning on using the GIG Gaming Z170, but the lack of USB and Intel NIC has turned me off a bit. Also, completely unrelated, is it a bad idea to buy a used NH-C14? Everyone keeps telling me it is the best air cooler for this case, but it is discontniued so my options for buying it are $70 used or $105 new from Outlet PC, which I am not sure I can trust...

What motherboards do people tend to recommend around here? I was planning on using the GIG Gaming Z170, but the lack of USB and Intel NIC has turned me off a bit. Also, completely unrelated, is it a bad idea to buy a used NH-C14? Everyone keeps telling me it is the best air cooler for this case, but it is discontniued so my options for buying it are $70 used or $105 new from Outlet PC, which I am not sure I can trust...

I have the Gigabyte and my only complaints about it are the lack of usb and the Killer NIC, although to be honest it has been fine. The Asrock Fatality or the Asus Pro Gaming seem to be the best choices for the features you want. I had all 3 on my short list and got the best deal on the Gigabyte.

Those are great temps at 1.265V, and wow you have a great chip there. :)

I should mention that I am running this setup without any GPU atm. as I am waiting for my 1070 to arrive ;) I expect a increase of about 8-10c in max and maby 3-5 in idle?!

I should mention that I am running this setup without any GPU atm. as I am waiting for my 1070 to arrive ;) I expect a increase of about 8-10c in max and maby 3-5 in idle?!

Ok, interesting. What 1070 did you manage to get? It shouldn't raise your temps that much, and not at all if it's FE. I ordered my 1070 a week ago, and I could only get my hands on an EVGA FE for $450 :( And that was difficult enough. Seems like an awful deal for the reference design, but I didn't want to wait another month.

Back