NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Sure - I'll measure tonight.

I had to move the pump back towards the PSU so the top and outlets didn't clash with the rad and fans, so yes, it does protrude into that zone.

That would be awesome…! If you could also measure the distance between the floor of the chassis & the bottom edge of the radiator when mounted…?

Thanks…!

(I wish there was a magical online 3D modeler that let one swap parts in & out of chassis to check for fitment, interference, & such…)

I sent an email to the NCASE Support, but wanted to ask here since there's a lot of visibility to see if this is an actual issue.

I ordered an M1 just a few minutes ago. After clicking through the Paypal screens I hit an "Oops Something Went Wrong" page. I still received my Paypal confirmation email but no NCASE confirmation. Should I have received something immediately from them?

I sent an email to the NCASE Support, but wanted to ask here since there's a lot of visibility to see if this is an actual issue.

I ordered an M1 just a few minutes ago. After clicking through the Paypal screens I hit an "Oops Something Went Wrong" page. I still received my Paypal confirmation email but no NCASE confirmation. Should I have received something immediately from them?

Yeah there's an issue with their website at the moment, I got this error when I ordered mine too. As long as you have the Paypal receipt, it means your order was successful.

Yeah there's an issue with their website at the moment, I got this error when I ordered mine too. As long as you have the Paypal receipt, it means your order was successful.

Oh awesome, I'm really glad I wasn't the only one and everything's still good. Thanks for the info!

What is everyone's favorite 92mm exhaust fan to use? I'm looking for QUIET fans. I'm thinking of the BeQuiet 92mm Silent Wings but open to suggestions.

What is everyone's favorite 92mm exhaust fan to use? I'm looking for QUIET fans. I'm thinking of the BeQuiet 92mm Silent Wings but open to suggestions.

Noctua makes the NF-A9 PWM and the NF-A9 FLX (3 pin connector) fans that are 25 mm thick. There are two others in their redux line. If you are using a large CPU heatsink, or for some other reason cannot fit a 25 mm thick fan on the rear panel, then the 14 mm thick NF-A9x14 PWM may be appropriate.

Noctua Fan Products

The clip just pops out. The stud needs to be cut off with a Dremel or the like.

A small bit of the frame might need to be cut away as well, depending how close the PCB is to the limit.

Just to clarify, if the frame is left intact, the only irreversible mod would be to the side panel (which is replaceable) ? Or can't the clip be put back in place ?

_____ _____
_____ _____​
______ ______ ______
______ ______ ______
______ ______ ______
______ ______ ______
______ ______ ______

Noctua makes the NF-A9 PWM and the NF-A9 FLX (3 pin connector) fans that are 25 mm thick. There are two others in their redux line. If you are using a large CPU heatsink, or for some other reason cannot fit a 25 mm thick fan on the rear panel, then the 14 mm thick NF-A9x14 PWM may be appropriate.

Noctua Fan Products

Can I ask how all of you NCASE M1 builders are hooking up their case fans? My ASRock x99e ITX/ac only has 2 cha_fan connectors on the motherboard. Are you guys using 3pin to molex adapters and a molex (4pin) PSU cable?

And as far as Noctua case fans, so am I hearing correctly that you guys recommend the "F" series (the radiator/heatsink static pressure series) for if you are using dust filters or fan grills?

Could you just bypass using the dust filters /fan grills and go for the "S" series , Noctua Anti-Stall Knobs Design,SSO2 Bearing 120mm, PWM Case Cooling Fan NF-S12A - Newegg.com

^....which are the actual case series fans from Noctua? Do you guys find the need for fan grillls inside the case? I mean, are alot of PSU cables/front panel cables hitting the fan blades?

Can I ask how all of you NCASE M1 builders are hooking up their case fans? My ASRock x99e ITX/ac only has 2 cha_fan connectors on the motherboard. Are you guys using 3pin to molex adapters and a molex (4pin) PSU cable?

Three or four pin y adapters, depending on fan type.

And as far as Noctua case fans, so am I hearing correctly that you guys recommend the "F" series (the radiator/heatsink static pressure series) for if you are using dust filters or fan grills?

Could you just bypass using the dust filters /fan grills and go for the "S" series , Noctua Anti-Stall Knobs Design,SSO2 Bearing 120mm, PWM Case Cooling Fan NF-S12A - Newegg.com

^....which are the actual case series fans from Noctua? Do you guys find the need for fan grillls inside the case? I mean, are alot of PSU cables/front panel cables hitting the fan blades?

s-l500.jpg

I'm using one of those in the empty pci slot.

You won't be able to mount the DDC with standard top to the EK spider pump bracket. You will need a custom EK top for the pump.
About that, i wonder how to fix a (non EK) DDC in the M1 floor under the graphic card, and how to dampen the vibrations without making it overheat.
Screws through grill holes? Adhesive foam?

It looks a bit bulky, I wanted to put 1 fan in the 120mm radiator side bracket and attach that to my mobo cha_fan header but that might be award to get plugged in. I wanted to use the least amount of PSU cables for efficient cable management, but my mobo only has 2 cha_fan headers unforutnately so I either have to use 2 fans on the mobo or just get a molex PSU cable and put more.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I will be getting an M1 shortly, and I can't decide whether to go for a 240mm CPU AIO or a 120mm CPU + a 120mm GPU Hybrid combo... Everyone watercools their CPU, but the GPU typically gets hotter and benefits more from watercooling. The H80i has similar performance to the H100i (though I believe I can only use 1 fan with it in the M1), so it may be worth it to go half and half. But then I have this crazy idea that in the near future we will have AIO watercooled graphics cards, and I don't mean the hybrids from EVGA and Gigabyte -- I mean a full waterblock as it exists in custom loops, without a fan AIO, sold this way by the manufacturer (so you don't have to void your warranty). They can even get rid of the DVI port (who needs it anymore) and make it single slot. I mean it's a pretty obvious product, someone has to make it sooner or later. And when that happens, I will be able to fit a single (or double) rad on the bottom of the M1 with slim fans. So maybe it makes sense to go for a 240mm AIO CPU cooler and get an aircooled card for now until my fantasy product comes out. First world problems...

Isn't the Fury X already a fully water-cooled card?

With the DIY route you can have a bottom 240mm rad with slim fans today. But don't expect this bottom radiator perform very well. It's a nice addition to the side radiator and shows, what is possible in the M1, but you don't get doubled cooling performance. I tried it.

I have an x99 and if i remember correctly it has three fan header locations. One is right by the pcie slot and the other two are spread out elsewhere. I use an h75 and two corsair 120s in my case without using any adapters.

Hey guys trying to do some research before buying this case. I wanted to know if this:
xtop-revo-d5_holder_800_4.jpg

fits onto the front mount another user pointed out here:
VMHIT13.png

Shame that it's 2-slot. But then Nvidia will insist on the DVI port. AMD has the right idea going for DP and HDMI.

So cut the DVI port off and then cut the expansion slot mounting bracket in half to make it a one slot card.

What do you call this cable? Anyone have a link to one?

aKPxLB9.jpg

I want to buy one but don't know what to search, and keep getting psu-to-motherboard cables

What do you call this cable? Anyone have a link to one?

aKPxLB9.jpg

I want to buy one but don't know what to search, and keep getting psu-to-motherboard cables

You can buy it directly from the Ncase website (www.ncases.com). Click on the Products menu and then click on "M1 Accessories". In the list of available accessories are left-handed and right-handed power cables, for sale at $10 (US).

Isn't the Fury X already a fully water-cooled card?

With the DIY route you can have a bottom 240mm rad with slim fans today. But don't expect this bottom radiator perform very well. It's a nice addition to the side radiator and shows, what is possible in the M1, but you don't get doubled cooling performance. I tried it.

Isnt the Gigabyte already AIO cooled only...
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 900 Series - GV-N98TXTREME W-6GD
Shame that it's 2-slot. But then Nvidia will insist on the DVI port. AMD has the right idea going for DP and HDMI.

MSI (and EVGA) have the hybrids.

You guys put me to shame. Yes, those are fully watercooled. It's a shame they are dual slot though. There has to be some way to integrate the pump either on the side of the card (which if HBM memory-based shorter cards become the norm may be doable), or in the radiator assembly. Something like the EK Predator 240, but for a GPU, and a bit more optimized for size. And they need to get some bigger and more attractive tubing, and put some beautiful waterblocks on those cards. The Gigabyte one looks like the inside of a 19th century factory, like steampunk but in a bad way. And absolutely single slot, that is a major benefit of watercooling that they're not capitalizing on. DVI ports are a joke nowadays, if you need it that badly you can get an adapter.

Now, regarding the bottom rad + slim fans -- of course you won't get double the cooling performance. But is that because you're hitting diminishing returns with the extra rad real estate -- after all a total of 480mm is overkill for a CPU+single GPU, so you'll always see diminishing returns. Or is it because of the radiator's positioning + slim fans? I think there's almost more airflow clearance near the bottom of the case than near the side bracket, especially if you have a shorter card and good cable management/short PSU cables. I'm thinking, if you had your dual rad CPU AIO and then had your separate AIO GPU cooler mounted on the bottom, you'd see very good temps on both.

I wonder, if you got the Gigabyte 980 Ti Waterforce and you removed its shroud -- the card is basically single slot everywhere but where the pump is -- if you could mount its 120mm rad on the bottom of the M1 with a thin fan... That way you could keep a 240mm rad for the CPU. Has anyone tried this? Same goes for the Fury X.

PerformancePCs.com will also do side cut outs for people. They are located in Miami, FL.

Actually they are in Palm Bay, FL. Not a big deal if you are ordering, but quite a ways if you plan on going there.

Hello everybody.
I'm new here, have 3x120 sections and pump+rez inside M1 v5 build.
Main chalanges were the light revision of the case with Dremel tool, hand made cabling, and water tubing in very limited room.
Current config:
Corsair SF600 PSU, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD, i5-3570k @4200, 2x 8Gb DDR3 GSkill Trident X.
Have R9 Nano @1070/550 watercooled VGA installed, but previous one was 780Ti with full cover waterblock too. 780Ti fits good and every other cards with same lenght.
Plextor M5 Pro 256Mb and Spinpoint M9T 2Tb ST2000LM003 mounted on the back panel inside.
All fans are working below 1000 rpm to push air outside through the radiators on right panel (2x120) and bottom (1x120). Top and left panels are covered by dust filters, and any radiator free room on the bottom as well. Pretty small/fine perforation of the side pannels, lack of enough perforation of case floor and dust filters mounted by me, all together dramatically decrease air penetration through the system. T of fluid s increasing up to 12 degrees against open case. Max T of fluid rises up to 59 C under many hours load. CPU 80, GPU 63. It's the only concern I have with Ncase M1 v5 at the moment. So, I will be happy to find more air openings and more perforation in v6.

IMG-20160530-WA0026.jpg IMG-20160529-WA0004.jpg IMG-20160529-WA0005.jpg IMG-20160529-WA0015.jpg IMG-20160530-WA0003.jpg IMG-20160530-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
Well.. here she is all back up and running.. and if you're wondering.. that's a 40" Samsung 4K TV

TTjEZmM.jpg

This is what the OLD system looked like. MUCH smaller now.

dvd3dRS.jpg

Hi everyone, just ordered my m1. Short question what are good cpu(i7 6700k, Maximus impact vIII) water cooling options for this case? Preferable dual 120mm fans. Thnx!

Hi everyone, just ordered my m1. Short question what are good cpu(i7 6700k, Maximus impact vIII) water cooling options for this case? Preferable dual 120mm fans. Thnx!

Just the cpu or gpu also? I am using Swiftech Apogee Drive II, FrozenQ M1 NCase reservoir, Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS, Bitspower block on my GTX 970. I have my 6600k OCed to 4.4 GHz and I get idle temps below 25C and load temps of 52C.

Hey, did you guys recommend using the anti-static wrist strap and can you touch the case to discharge electricity (without wearing the strap) when building? I usually use the wrist strap, but the metal alligator clips usually ends up scratching the case and this NCASE was just too sexy, I didn't want to scratch it :D

I also hear of people plugging the PSU first into the case, and plugging it into the wall socket but having the PSU in the "OFF" position to ground? this seems really risky to me, couldn't you accidentally have the psu on one time and fry everything?

Let me know guys!

Back