NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

yeah a fan sucking air out the back will help or even rotate the cpu fans to facing up to push air out of the case. if there is room... sucking air out is better than relying on natural convection to keep heat down.

I got the Air cooler, because of the "noise" from the watercoolers are higher than this baby... :) Ordered a 92mm fan I will mount at the back of the case as excaust. Actualy I am pretty happy with the way it works now, last test showed rock solid performance at AIDA and Realbench, with a max of 81c but more likley to stay around 70c + - Bare in mind that this GPU puts out tons of heat in the cabinet, compared to a Reference card.
I will give it a try without the dustfilter and see if there is any noticeable difference
Thanks for the input guys :)

Last edited:
Now after AMD shaked the market with his 199$ Video card the question is does it worth to wait for 1070 ? And will the 1070 fit ? I saw a video on youtube the 1070 much smaller than the 1080

Now after AMD shaked the market with his 199$ Video card the question is does it worth to wait for 1070 ? And will the 1070 fit ? I saw a video on youtube the 1070 much smaller than the 1080

Hard saying at this point, we will need to see some good benchmarks to really know what we are getting into. It seems interesting but I wouldn't jump the gun yet personally.

AMD´s RX480 is not equal to GTX1070. So you don´t have to wait.

Yeah a single RX480 won't compete with a 1070, but if the hype can be believed it will be a very good card for $200. I was really glad to see AMD bring the power usage down to 150W.

I got the Air cooler, because of the "noise" from the watercoolers are higher than this baby... :) Ordered a 92mm fan I will mount at the back of the case as excaust. Actualy I am pretty happy with the way it works now, last test showed rock solid performance at AIDA and Realbench, with a max of 81c but more likley to stay around 70c + - Bare in mind that this GPU puts out tons of heat in the cabinet, compared to a Reference card.
I will give it a try without the dustfilter and see if there is any noticeable difference
Thanks for the input guys :)

One other suggestion. I notice that your 120 mm fans are the NF-S12A models from Noctua. This is their quietest 120 mm fan, but it has the lowest pressure rating which is important when pulling or pushing air through a restriction such as an air filter. Other 120 mm models from Noctua are the NF-P12 and the NF-F12:

NF-S12A: 1200 RPM 17.8 dBA 63.2 CFM 1.19 mm H2O
NF-P12: 1300 RPM 19.8 dBA 54.3 CFM 1.68 mm H2O
NF-F12: 1500 RPM 22.4 dBA 55.0 CFM 2.61 mm H2O

The NF-F12 is poplular here for using on CPU coolers and radiators because of its high pressure, but the increase in noise over your NF-S12A is significant. The NF-P12 has been mentioned much less, but may be more suitable as a case fan that is pulling through an air filter.

Last edited:
Okay, thoughts on a custom loop with no actual reservoir, the radiator would be doing double duty…?

I am wondering about using this:

xtop_revo_d5_acetal_incl_pump_holder_1_800.jpg

But not with the metal mount pictured, just the plastic mount that comes with the pump (the piece pictured holding the pump to the metal mount)…

This would be mounted to the inside front wall of the chassis, as low as is possible, but with a 25mm thick 120mm fan still mounted in the front bottom position (another 25mm thick 120mm fan would be mounted in the rear bottom position)…

Radiator would be the EK CoolStream PE with two 25mm thick 120mm fans mounted in push, this is a 63mm thick package, with 90 degree fittings it would be 91mm at the fittings, which should just clear the MB I/O…

Loop path would be pump > GPU > CPU > radiator > pump…

The side port is the outlet, the top port is the inlet…

Starting at the outlet port, the fittings would run thus:

Barb (pump outlet) > Barb & 90 degree (top front GPU) > 90 degree & Barb (top rear GPU) > Barb & 90 degree (lower CPU) > Barb (upper CPU) > Barb & 90 degree (top radiator) > 90 degree & Barb (lower radiator) > Barb & 90 degree (pump inlet)

Radiator fans & pump 4-pin PWM leads ganged to a 3-way and attached to the CPU Fan header on the MB; chassis fans 4-pin PWM leads ganged to a 2-way and attached to the Chassis Fan header on the MB…

GPU (as of now) would be an EVGA reference GTX970, which when used with the proper EK water block, actually becomes a mITX sized card…

ek-fc-970-gtx_na_fit_800.jpg

Now, if Asus, EVGA, or Gigabyte could see their way to making a mITX sized GTX1070, or even a mITX sized GTX1080, and EK would respond with appropriate water blocks & backplates, life would be good…!

So, thoughts towards having the radiator fill both radiator AND reservoir duties…?!?

And if anyone has the abilities to check clearances in a 3D program; in regards to the whole front bottom fan / PSU / pump / radiator area; that would be awesome…!

If needed the radiator could be switched to the slim model, which would be 26mm thick, thereby gaining an additional 12mm of clearance…?!? But then I would wonder about the overall cooling performance with the slimmer radiator…

Discuss…?!?

Thanks…!!!

Edit to add:

This would be the complete parts list for the water cooling loop…

One (1) EK-FC970 GTX water block (Acetal & Nickel)
One (1) EK-FC970 GTX backplate (Black)
One (1) EK-FB Asus M8I monoblock (Acetal & Nickel)
One (1) EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM Pump (Acetal)
Eight (8) EK-HFB 10mm barb fittings (Black)
Six (6) EK-AF 90 degree G1/4 fittings (Black)
One (1) EK CoolStream PE 240 radiator (Black)
Four (4) EK-Vardar F4-120ER fans (Black)
One (1) meter EK-Tube ZMT tubing 9.5mm ID / 15.5mm OD (Matte Black)
Eight (8) Tube clamps 15mm-17mm (Black)
One (1) liter EK-Ekoolant EVO premix coolant (Clear)
One (1) EK-Cable Y-splitter 3-fan PWM 10cm (Black)
One (1) EK-Cable Y-splitter 2-fan PWM 10cm (Black)
One (1) EK-ATX bridging plug 24-pin (White)

US$700.00 shipped…

Edit to add:

After looking at the photos in the post below, I see I would have to add a plate or bracket of some sort to mount the pump in the desired location, as there is no actual inner front wall there…!

Alternate pump could be the non-EK topped DDC, possibly on one of the 120mm fan spiders EK sells to mount pumps & such…

If absolutely necessary (meaning the majority says that using the radiator as the reservoir as well is a stupid idea) then I could go out of the EK realm and get the FrozenQ reservoir…

Last edited:
This is very strange, I changed nothing and then all of a sudden today my top and side panel no longer get warm and CPU temps are down 10 degrees

The red really makes the "M1" shape of the rear fan vents noticeable. I wonder how many people never notice that?

Okay, here is the new question for the 3D/CAD gurus out there (especially those with an accurate model of the M1)…

I want to know if this:

ek-vardar-f4-120er_front-2_800.jpg

EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200rpm) – EK Webshop

Mounted in the front bottom fan position. with this:

uni_pump_bracket_120mm_fan__800.jpg

EK-UNI Pump Bracket (120mm FAN) – EK Webshop

…on top of the fan, and this:

xres-revo-d5_pwm-110-_incl-pump_pwm_800_2.jpg

EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump) – EK Webshop

…mounted in a horizontal position, with the ports turned to face the radiator side of the chassis, and the 'top' of the reservoir protruding thru the lower opening in the inner front panel…

Combo > GPU > CPU > Radiator > Combo

Will it fit…? Will it protrude up into the side-mounted radiator/fans area, and if so, how much…? Will it fit with either the 26mm (slim) radiator; or, hopefully, with the 38mm one (with, of course, 25mm fans attached as well)…?

Best part if it DOES fit 'in the groove'…?!? To fill, remove front panel and place chassis on its back; instant fill port on top of reservoir AND highest point in the loop…!

HUGE THANKS for any insight on this…!!!

My NCase M1 v5 just arrived. Here are some high res photos for you before I strip her down for paint. I'm thinking red for the interior chassis.

Album is here: https://goo.gl/photos/eZQKZVYVB4CNXq1c7

Well.. she's all painted and put back together. Now.. WHAT SHOULD I NAME HER?

Scarlet Witch? Red Dwarf?

87kovTA.jpg

I just hope you take as nice a series of pics WHILE you build it up…!

With the silver panels & the red interior, it lends itself to representing both of the Maximoff siblings…

Maybe do a laser etch of the duo on the front panel…?!? ;^p

I'm about to finish my M1 build (already have all parts except graphic card, waiting my 1080 founder)
Now about the watercooling, i thought using EK wbs for CPU/GPU, 240mm rad and a DCC pump (too bad the predator can't fit using proper orientation, wonder if it's really that bad in a filled circuit?)
The EK ECC has it's inlet in the top and not on the side, is that an issue? Because there is not a lot of space under the graphic card.
How do you set the pump? Aquacomputer cover?
About the rad, SE or PE?

Okay, here is the new question for the 3D/CAD gurus out there (especially those with an accurate model of the M1)…

I want to know if this:

EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200rpm) – EK Webshop

Mounted in the front bottom fan position. with this:

uni_pump_bracket_120mm_fan__800.jpg

EK-UNI Pump Bracket (120mm FAN) – EK Webshop

…on top of the fan, and this:

xres-revo-d5_pwm-110-_incl-pump_pwm_800_2.jpg

EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump) – EK Webshop

…mounted in a horizontal position, with the ports turned to face the radiator side of the chassis, and the 'top' of the reservoir protruding thru the lower opening in the inner front panel…

Combo > GPU > CPU > Radiator > Combo

Will it fit…? Will it protrude up into the side-mounted radiator/fans area, and if so, how much…? Will it fit with either the 26mm (slim) radiator; or, hopefully, with the 38mm one (with, of course, 25mm fans attached as well)…?

Best part if it DOES fit 'in the groove'…?!? To fill, remove front panel and place chassis on its back; instant fill port on top of reservoir AND highest point in the loop…!

HUGE THANKS for any insight on this…!!!

Ill double check tonight but I'm fairly sure that the pump/res won't fit like that - it will be too high if you sit it on the bracket and will clash with your side radiator, and if you sit the pimp directly on the base the res will clash with the audio panel.

FYI - Im using that pump and top with a Frozen Q res, here's a couple of shots to give you an idea on how little room there is there (the pump is actually quite large):

Ncase%20M1-44.jpg

Ncase%20M1-46.jpg

I'm about to finish my M1 build (already have all parts except graphic card, waiting my 1080 founder)
Now about the watercooling, i thought using EK wbs for CPU/GPU, 240mm rad and a DCC pump (too bad the predator can't fit using proper orientation, wonder if it's really that bad in a filled circuit?)
The EK ECC has it's inlet in the top and not on the side, is that an issue? Because there is not a lot of space under the graphic card.
How do you set the pump? Aquacomputer cover?
About the rad, SE or PE?

Yep - I used to run the Aquacomputer top on mine for this reason, to run from both of the side ports.

Ill double check tonight but I'm fairly sure that the pump/res won't fit like that - it will be too high if you sit it on the bracket and will clash with your side radiator, and if you sit the pimp directly on the base the res will clash with the audio panel.

FYI - Im using that pump and top with a Frozen Q res, here's a couple of shots to give you an idea on how little room there is there (the pump is actually quite large):

Ncase%20M1-44.jpg

Ncase%20M1-46.jpg

Okay, that is ridiculous…!

Who makes that MB block…?

Did you paint your MB…?

How does the radiator hook up…?

Your pump bracket is mounted directly to the bottom of the chassis…?

Is there room for a 25mm thick 120mm fan under the GPU in your build…?

Build log, or more pics of same & completed unit…?

No direct reservoir to pump…?

Looks like radiator to pump inlet…?

Thoughts on no reservoir, making the radiator pull double duty…?

If only the FrozenQ reservoir had as high a level of finish as the EK Acetal products…

I may have to steal most of your loop layout, but I would like to mount at least one 25mm thick 120mm fan in the bottom of the chassis…

And again, WHO MAKES THAT WB…?!?

That thing is ridiculous…!

Last edited:

Did you paint your MB…?

If only the FrozenQ reservoir had as high a level of finish as the EK Acetal products…

I may have to steal most of your loop layout, but I would like to mount at least one 25mm thick 120mm fan in the bottom of the chassis…

I can help you with the Reservior : M1 NCase Reservoir

Ncase%20M1-44.jpg

Ncase%20M1-46.jpg
Can you give us pls a list from all of your water cooling parts ? Im interested as well

One other suggestion. I notice that your 120 mm fans are the NF-S12A models from Noctua. This is their quietest 120 mm fan, but it has the lowest pressure rating which is important when pulling or pushing air through a restriction such as an air filter. Other 120 mm models from Noctua are the NF-P12 and the NF-F12:

NF-S12A: 1200 RPM 17.8 dBA 63.2 CFM 1.19 mm H2O
NF-P12: 1300 RPM 19.8 dBA 54.3 CFM 1.68 mm H2O
NF-F12: 1500 RPM 22.4 dBA 55.0 CFM 2.61 mm H2O

The NF-F12 is poplular here for using on CPU coolers and radiators because of its high pressure, but the increase in noise over your NF-S12A is significant. The NF-P12 has been mentioned much less, but may be more suitable as a case fan that is pulling through an air filter.

Cool, thanks for the info, I will look into this P12 for case-fan. I will try running it without the air-filter though I don't believe it will make a big different, but I hope to be positively surprised. It is worth mentioning that the room temperature is around 25-28c

Did you paint your MB…?

Water block:
Bitspower ASRIX99 Nickel Plated (Clear) [BP-WBFRIGGAASRIX99FCBNPAC-CL] : Bitspower Taiwan On-Line Shop

Alright, after looking at those two pics for a bit…

How about this stack…?

ddcpwm-1_800a.jpg

uni-holder-ddc-spider-_120mm-fan__800.jpg

The pump is 38mm tall, the fan is 25mm thick, the bracket might be about 10mm tall…?

And that D5 Revo pump has to be close to 80mm or so in height…?

Should even be able to use the 38mm thick radiator & 25mm fans and still have clearance…?

So the barbs would be facing the back of the chassis, positioned over the mITX GPU…

I actually wonder if the DDC pump with the EK top would fit…? The 90 degree on the inlet would be sticking up between the radiator/fans stack & the PSU…?

So basically, short of shoving the single 5.25" bay DDC pump/reservoir combo on the bottom of the chassis (and loosing fans down below as well), or making the radiator into a pseudo reservoir, I am gonna have to use the FrozenQ reservoir… Which is alright, as it does finish up the rear of the chassis, on unused grommets & empty fan grill showing back there… Like I stated earlier, if only the FrozenQ had the fit & finish of an EK Acetal/Acrylic product…

Who makes that MB block…? It's the Bitspower X99 ITX Monoblock

Did you paint your MB…? Nope - haven't touched it.

How does the radiator hook up…? The radiator side on the Ncase side mount bracket. The two acrylic pipes that go into it are connected first, then I hook them up one the rad is mounted. Those pics were jsut to show the tubing.

Your pump bracket is mounted directly to the bottom of the chassis…? Yep.

Is there room for a 25mm thick 120mm fan under the GPU in your build…? Yes - plenty of room for a standard 120mm fan under the GPU and block. There is NOT room for a radiator and STANDARD fan. A slim rad and slim fan will fit however.

Build log, or more pics of same & completed unit…? Sure - I have a build log over at OCU - Ncase M1 ITX- X99 5960X Watercooled - Overclockers Australia Forums

No direct reservoir to pump…? pump > GPU > res > CPU > Rad

Looks like radiator to pump inlet…? Yep

Thoughts on no reservoir, making the radiator pull double duty…? I'd stick with a reservoir. And for an Ncase the FrozenQ is the best - it sits in space that you'd otherwise never use.

If only the FrozenQ reservoir had as high a level of finish as the EK Acetal products… It's comparable IMO. The EK finish isn't that great... the block and backplate on my GPU are pretty average. Nothing on the AquaComputer stuff ;)

I may have to steal most of your loop layout, but I would like to mount at least one 25mm thick 120mm fan in the bottom of the chassis… To be honest I don't think there would be much benefit - it would be blowing on the GPU block only and not helping to exhaust the rad air.

I've added some answers in the quote above.

Can you give us pls a list from all of your water cooling parts ? Im interested as well

Sure:

CPU - Bitspower X99 ITX Monoblock
GPU - EK R9 Nano Acetal block and EK Backplate
Pump - EK D5 Revo /w Plexi top
Reservoir - FrozenQ
Radiator - BlackIce Nemesis GTS240
Fans - NoiseBlocker Multiframe M12-PS
Fittings - Alphacool 12mm hard tube
Tubing - 12mm acrylic

Have tried a few different setups (see below) and found this was the best - happily runs my 5960X 4600 @ 1.22.

I've got my build log over at OCAU also - Ncase M1 ITX- X99 5960X Watercooled - Overclockers Australia Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: BST4R
like this
Oh man, everything is ready to go on watercooling, only the AC Eisbaer is missing :(. I hope it´s worthfull to wait.

Last edited:
stupid question but did any of you guys have to SIGN the package for the NCASE m1? I just had a package attempt via USPS but I was on my computer and didn't but the only thing I had on order was the NCASE and then some noctua fans from newegg, which are supposed to be FedEx.

stupid question but did any of you guys have to SIGN the package for the NCASE m1? I just had a package attempt via USPS but I was on my computer and didn't but the only thing I had on order was the NCASE and then some noctua fans from newegg, which are supposed to be FedEx.

Yes, signature required. At least they tried, here they just leave the delivery attempt message, without even coming to the front door.

Has anyone used both a blower and open cooler GPU in this case? What was the temp difference like? I've got an MSI 970 Gaming and I use 2 120's on the floor but I'm thinking about switching to a reference 970. The temps would probably be the same for the GPU (around 70° C while gaming) but I'm thinking it would lower the CPU temps and I could even get rid of 1 or both floor fans.

Can you provide a measurement of how tall that pump assembly is, from the bottom of the chassis to the topmost point of the pump…?

Does the pump protrude into the space between the radiator/fans assembly & the PSU at all…?

I've added some answers in the quote above.

Sure:

CPU - Bitspower X99 ITX Monoblock
GPU - EK R9 Nano Acetal block and EK Backplate
Reservoir - FrozenQ
Radiator - BlackIce Nemesis GTS240
Fans - NoiseBlocker Multiframe M12-PS
Fittings - Alphacool 12mm hard tube
Tubing - 12mm acrylic

Have tried a few different setups (see below) and found this was the best - happily runs my 5960X 4600 @ 1.22.

I've got my build log over at OCAU also - Ncase M1 ITX- X99 5960X Watercooled - Overclockers Australia Forums

I'm using the same radiator and fans in my build, been very pleased with the result. Beautiful build you have.

Can you provide a measurement of how tall that pump assembly is, from the bottom of the chassis to the topmost point of the pump…?

Does the pump protrude into the space between the radiator/fans assembly & the PSU at all…?

Sure - I'll measure tonight.

I had to move the pump back towards the PSU so the top and outlets didn't clash with the rad and fans, so yes, it does protrude into that zone.

I'm using the same radiator and fans in my build, been very pleased with the result. Beautiful build you have.

Thanks:) I've been really happy with that combo - the Noiseblockers are MUCH nicer/quieter than the Gentle Typhoons I had previously.

Reactions: Boil
like this

Nope, didn't have to sign for it. Probably different for everyone however because I know most of the delivery guys who drop stuff off to my house minus DHL. For whatever reason DHL has dropped stuff off in vehicles ranging from normal Yellow delivery truck to super shady white van that should say "free candy".

Back