NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

You got me. I have not touched my build in months. I keep getting side tracked by life and "She who must be obeyed". Need to make the time. Here's a photo I posted a while ago of my 2 slim 140s:

wow that looks awesome! are those secured with the rubber pins? I am thinking about grabbing an accelero instead of an h75 for my gpu and this looks enticing.

wow that looks awesome! are those secured with the rubber pins? I am thinking about grabbing an accelero instead of an h75 for my gpu and this looks enticing.

If you get the Accelero cooler there will be room for 25 mm thick fans. My GPU cooler is thicker (doh!) so I have to use thin fans. Note they are set to exhaust, as recommended by Phuncz and others here. Maybe I should switch to an Accelero heatsink and put my NH-C14's original fans on the bottom. Hmm ...

Yes, I used the Noctua rubber posts to attach the fans. The M1 Rev 4 and later have metal posts in the corners that obstruct the corners of square 140 mm fans, so you must use ones that have the 120 mm holes. I think I had to drill some of the mounting holes. Also the head of the rubber posts is underneath the case's rear feet so I raised all of them with some modified rubber grommets and longer bolts. The grommets are very soft and compress a bit when I tighten the bolts that secure the case feet and the difference in the case's height is not noticeable.

If you get the Accelero cooler there will be room for 25 mm thick fans. My GPU cooler is thicker (doh!) so I have to use thin fans. Note they are set to exhaust, as recommended by Phuncz and others here. Maybe I should switch to an Accelero heatsink and put my NH-C14's original fans on the bottom. Hmm ...

Yes, I used the Noctua rubber posts to attach the fans. The M1 Rev 4 and later have metal posts in the corners that obstruct the corners of square 140 mm fans, so you must use ones that have the 120 mm holes. I think I had to drill some of the mounting holes. Also the head of the rubber posts is underneath the case's rear feet so I raised all of them with some modified rubber grommets and longer bolts. The grommets are very soft and compress a bit when I tighten the bolts that secure the case feet and the difference in the case's height is not noticeable.

ahh interesting. so you set them to blow out the bottom instead of intake and blow upwards? looks like it could move serious air but im not wanting to cut any additional air venting on the bottom for 140mm

i am having the dilemma with the accelero too. have a ref blower and am getting 70-75c while gaming. i was going to get an h75 for it and the cpu, now im leaning towards air cooling, but am not sure that the accelero will have much different temps...

The problem is i have a 4tb hdd so i need to be able to put it on the side bracket over the psu so its looking like either the sycthe kabuto 2 or dark rock tf, both with a 120mm on the side panel over them.

TOO MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE HALP EVERYONE

You got me. I have not touched my build in months. I keep getting side tracked by life and "She who must be obeyed". Need to make the time. Here's a photo I posted a while ago of my 2 slim 140s:

Thank you. I see that others have installed the fans that came with the NH-C14 so I may have to wait for the case and go from there. At present I don't have a graphics card to fan thickness will not be an immediate issue!

By the way, do I spy some additional vent holes drilled into the bottom of the base, between the fans?

Thank you. I see that others have installed the fans that came with the NH-C14 so I may have to wait for the case and go from there. At present I don't have a graphics card to fan thickness will not be an immediate issue!

By the way, do I spy some additional vent holes drilled into the bottom of the base, between the fans?

Just remember the Noctua NH-C14 prevents you from attaching the drive cage to the side fan bracket for your 3.5 inch drive.

Also you can't use the original 140 mm fan on the underside of the heatsink. It hits a SFX power supply. Instead you have to use a smaller fan, usually a 120 mm one.

Yes, I drilled a few extra holes, not too many so as to not weaken the bottom of the case too much. Good luck with your build.

I just saw this new SFX to ATX Power Supply Adapter plate on the Silverstone website. The PP08 adapter offsets the SFX unit instead of centering it like previous adapter plates.

Would be useful to anyone building in the M1? It would permit mounting an SFX-L PS so that it was shifted to the very front of the case. Maybe then its power cable connectors would interfere less with full length graphics cards.

Just remember the Noctua NH-C14 prevents you from attaching the drive cage to the side fan bracket for your 3.5 inch drive.

Also you can't use the original 140 mm fan on the underside of the heatsink. It hits a SFX power supply. Instead you have to use a smaller fan, usually a 120 mm one.

Yes, I drilled a few extra holes, not too many so as to not weaken the bottom of the case too much. Good luck with your build.

Yep, I have a F12 120mm fan installed in the bottom of the cooler (in my temporary case) and I have a NAS I built a couple of months ago which holds my data - I am only using the SSD in my signature for the ncase build :)

I just saw this new SFX to ATX Power Supply Adapter plate on the Silverstone website. The PP08 adapter offsets the SFX unit instead of centering it like previous adapter plates.

Would be useful to anyone building in the M1? It would permit mounting an SFX-L PS so that it was shifted to the very front of the case. Maybe then its power cable connectors would interfere less with full length graphics cards.

Nice find. We were discussing custom PSU mounting brackets a million pages ago when the SFX-L launched to be able to do exactly this. This thing answers all of this. Except losing a few millimeters due to panel thickness. This is a very good idea. I am struggling to find a single use case were centering it like before would be preferable.

Linus Techtips did a guide using the same method to add the 0 RPM fan at idle function to cards that didn't have the feature built in (e.g. the Gigabyte cards).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfVHIlSLK58

The required programs are hosted in the Downloads section of Techpowerup.

Thanks, I've seen the video, and am currently going through the thread on the LTT forum regarding this. I haven't gotten through it all but so far there seem to be some issues regarding win10, but that might already have been solved on pages I haven't gotten to yet. I've also seen indications that the Asus 970 mini has hardware limited minimum rpm, but that also need to be confirmed. Anyway, after reading a bit about that I am leaning towards getting 2x Fractal Venturi HP-12s, the fan adapter/splitter Wisk linked me to and just see what kind of noise minimum rpm yelds before I decide to try to tweak the bios. I am currently hunting for a good deal on either the Accelero Turbo II or Accelero Extreme III. I know the E III is better, but my card isn't that beefy and i think the T II will look better installed.

I have an asus 970 blower (the white shrouded one) and it has a hardware minimum rpm set on the fan :(

Nox

I have an asus 970 blower (the white shrouded one) and it has a hardware minimum rpm set on the fan :(

Nox

Same card as mine, only with a different cooler, so that kinda settles it for me regarding risking it with the bios flash. Thanks:)

In regards to flashing of the bios on GTX 970 cards, I, myself, had never done this before and I followed a small guide online. I was actually surprised at how simple and straight forward it was. I would not regard the operation itself as risky as long as you just stick to the different steps. I'm just saying this since some people in here make it sound like it's a 50/50 shot if it works or not.
If you value a quiet running computer I would absolutely recommend replacing small GPU fans with 120/140 fans and then adjusting the fan control via BIOS. It's the best thing I've ever done to reduce noise from my M1.

In regards to flashing of the bios on GTX 970 cards, I, myself, had never done this before and I followed a small guide online. I was actually surprised at how simple and straight forward it was. I would not regard the operation itself as risky as long as you just stick to the different steps. I'm just saying this since some people in here make it sound like it's a 50/50 shot if it works or not.
If you value a quiet running computer I would absolutely recommend replacing small GPU fans with 120/140 fans and then adjusting the fan control via BIOS. It's the best thing I've ever done to reduce noise from my M1.

I hear you. It wasn't my intention to make it sound more dangerous than it is. But for us un-initiated, it IS scary as hell. And the few people that do screw it up are usually our kind;) I am in theory up for it, but with a (kinda) confirmed hardware lower rpm limit on my card it does seem less viable. Bigger cooler + fans are just a matter of time though. I will be doing more research on this hardware limitation if the accelero + 120mm fans doesn't perform optimally acoustically but as of right now I am doubtful it's possible.

ahh interesting. so you set them to blow out the bottom instead of intake and blow upwards? looks like it could move serious air but im not wanting to cut any additional air venting on the bottom for 140mm

i am having the dilemma with the accelero too. have a ref blower and am getting 70-75c while gaming. i was going to get an h75 for it and the cpu, now im leaning towards air cooling, but am not sure that the accelero will have much different temps...

The problem is i have a 4tb hdd so i need to be able to put it on the side bracket over the psu so its looking like either the sycthe kabuto 2 or dark rock tf, both with a 120mm on the side panel over them.

TOO MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE HALP EVERYONE

With my Accelero IV and Noctua F12s I get load temps in the high 60s while the fans are running quietly at 1000RPM.

Exhausting GPU heat also means you don't need such a big CPU cooler. The Noctua C12P has been working great on by 6700K at 4.5GHz.

I hear you. It wasn't my intention to make it sound more dangerous than it is. But for us un-initiated, it IS scary as hell. And the few people that do screw it up are usually our kind;) I am in theory up for it, but with a (kinda) confirmed hardware lower rpm limit on my card it does seem less viable. Bigger cooler + fans are just a matter of time though. I will be doing more research on this hardware limitation if the accelero + 120mm fans doesn't perform optimally acoustically but as of right now I am doubtful it's possible.

You could control the fans using the motherboard, or use low noise resistor adapters to limit the top speed.

With my Accelero IV and Noctua F12s I get load temps in the high 60s while the fans are running quietly at 1000RPM.

Exhausting GPU heat also means you don't need such a big CPU cooler. The Noctua C12P has been working great on by 6700K at 4.5GHz.

You could control the fans using the motherboard, or use low noise resistor adapters to limit the top speed.

Did you by any chance compared both configuration for the fan?
At intake and exhaust?
Seems like I can t find a clear ansswer n this topic.
Both set up are used and show similar result as far as I read

The noise will definitely be a good adjustment over the ref blower. So the temps could be even better with the fans rpm increased id imagine? One concern is getting a new GPU and having the accelero not fit, specifically the nvidia 1000 series whenever they are released.

I am also having a tough time deciding between the kabuto scythe, dark rock tf (if it works with my mobo), and a lower profile noctua like you mentioned.

So has anyone else fit a "Be Quiet Darkrock TF" in their case?

Yeah i would love to hear more about this. It would be perfect if it would work with my mobo and still allow an HDD next to it, granted I would have to be using a 120mm on the top, not the fan it comes with.

thanks,

this set up involve 2 other fans.
my goal was to have 2 nf f12 fans on the nhc-14 cpu cooler as intake and 2 fans on the bottom as intake too.

Seems like I will need to try the different set up.
Accelero seems like the way to go for quiete gpu set up in the ncase m1.

anyone has expérience with the morpheus cooler?
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/henry-butt/raijintek-morpheus-gpu-cooler-review/
Not sure it fits...

Yeah I would like to see some numbers on the intake vs exhaust on the bottom fans, I am not doubting but it just seems wrong lol. That morpheus looks NICE! would be interested in that too.

Also, what heatsinks to people buy for the vrm/vram when using the accelero? The ones phuncz has looks great

Last edited:
I finished this just after xmas but been too busy gaming to actually take photos. I haven't built a PC in about 8 years and I managed to put this together without a single fuckup, so thanks to everyone on here for the help.

Specs here:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qbzVjX

Pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/9k7mG

I wanted to go with something as minimal and quiet as possible. Air cooled and light so I could easily transport in a backpack. PSU cables are trimmed down to only what was required. Could definitely get the runs a bit cleaner if I was happy to re-crimp, but I'm lazy.

All in all I'm very happy with everything except maybe the video card - it's by far the loudest thing in the box, and I feel like I could have gotten away with a non-blower card.

thanks,

this set up involve 2 other fans.
my goal was to have 2 nf f12 fans on the nhc-14 cpu cooler as intake and 2 fans on the bottom as intake too.

Seems like I will need to try the different set up.
Accelero seems like the way to go for quiete gpu set up in the ncase m1.

anyone has expérience with the morpheus cooler?
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/henry-butt/raijintek-morpheus-gpu-cooler-review/
Not sure it fits...

My question... can that go on a CPU? That would be BA.

Hello, everyone! Been lurking here for a short time reading all your great input and advice so I could put together my future M1 build, hopefully my case will arrive some time in March. Here's the parts that I have in mind so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280, 2TB 3.5" HDD
GPU: XFX R9 270x
PSU: Corsair SF600

The 270x is my current graphics card, I'm holding out until the next generation of cards before upgrading but I intend to use it on my M1 until then. I'm also holding out to see if the Corsair SFX power supply finally releases this month, or at the least before my M1 arrives!

As for the CPU cooler, after much browsing I've narrowed it down to Noctua's NH-C14 or their NH-C12P S14. I've also looked at Be Quiet's Dark Rock TF and Cryorg's C1 which appeal to me more from a stylistic sense compared to Noctua's products, however they seem to be hit-or-miss with the community here from what I've read and I'm trying to minimize headaches here so efficiency and compatibility come first.

Does anyone have any tips or advice in regards to the above coolers? I'm leaning towards the NH-C14 since it has two fans, though I've read that the bottom fan would have to be replaced with a 120mm. I'm planning on hanging my 3.5" HDD on the side panel, and as for extra fans I thought I could have another 2 120mm's underneath the GPU and maybe a slim 92mm on the back to help out.

But yeah, that's my train of thought at the moment. It's been great looking at the plethora of build photos and discussions, any more advice or recommendations from you guys would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: Just did some extra research and found people saying that the NH-C14 can't be used with a 3.5" HDD on the side bracket, I'd seen the NH-C12P used with the side bracket so I assumed the C14 would work as well. Guess not! Gonna have to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
I believe this post by Phuncz is what you're looking for: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041578563&postcount=16157

Well, it's Cowsgomoo's idea

I saw your setup in another post and it's almost exactly the same as mine: Accelero Xtreme IV and Kabuto II.
Just reverse the direction of the GPU fans such that it exhausts downwards and have two fan on the side that blow in. Even in-out air pressure is obtained and the top of the case where the motherboard is remains cool as the Arctic even at full load. This is the optimal full air-cooler set up imo. Of course you probably won't believe that bottom exhaust can cool the GPU and VRM sufficiently, but hypothesises can only be proved or disproved with experiments.

But as you see, he himself never tested all four combinations of airflow: 1) intake side + intake bottom; 2) intake side + exhaust bottom; 3) exhaust sides + exhaust bottom; 4) exhaust side + intake bottom.

Obviously, and unlike watercooling, #1 intake+intake isn't ideal for all-air-cooling because you need to channel the airflow through the whole case, rather than just radiator(s). For a similar reason exhaust+exhaust might not be so great, although with the GPU compartmentalisation it might be okay.

What I'm most interested in is the last option where the GPU intakes fresh air and the CPU fan and side fans are reversed to exhaust.

Guess I have to test it myself, but although I now bought an Accelero Xtreme, like many recent posters, I have yet to decide on a CPU cooler.

What I'm most interested in is the last option where the GPU intakes fresh air and the CPU fan and side fans are reversed to exhaust.

Guess I have to test it myself, but although I now bought an Accelero Xtreme, like many recent posters, I have yet to decide on a CPU cooler.

I've been thinking about this too. With my i5 processor @stock there is a lot of headroom for cooling on the C14, and having a short PCB GPU there is ample room for airflow bottom to top so this could work well.

On the positive side the fans would be working together creating air circulation assisting air both in and out while maintaining positive pressure (for whatever that's worth in an unfiltered case) and the hottest part of the PC gets the coldest air

On the negative side I think I'd actually have to remove the CPU heatsink for cleaning to get to the under side of it, which kinda sucks. And the dominant visual feature for the build would be the back side of a 140mm fan. Not particularly attractive.

Haven't decided on which accelero cooler yet, but I want to test this when I get it to see what effect it has. I'll probably keep everything as intake unless there are significant thermal and/or acoustic benefits to other solutions.

Guess we'll see who gets there first;)

EDIT: Just did some extra research and found people saying that the NH-C14 can't be used with a 3.5" HDD on the side bracket, I'd seen the NH-C12P used with the side bracket so I assumed the C14 would work as well. Guess not! Gonna have to keep that in mind.

You could also take a look at the Scythe Kabuto II. That does let you use the side 3,5" bracket. It's cheaper that the Noctua coolers too

For any owners of Accelero Extreme III or IV

Sorry for spamming the thread today guys, but I have a question that I can't seem to google my way out of. I wass thinking about going for the AE III due to the heatsinks that are bundled with it and not needing that huge heatsink backplate that comes with the AE IV.

BUT. It seems like there are different mounting machanisms for attaching these coolers to the GPU. The AE III seem to have a metal backplate for the GPU socket while the AE IV does not. Now I'm thinking that the AE IV would probably let me keep the stock backplate on my GPU (maybe with a few minor modifications) by havng the 4 bolts go through the holes that already exist in the backplate (eventual modifications being widening said holes). Does anyone have enough information to confirm that the mounting mechanisms are in fact like I am assuming?

been looking at those coolers too :) but sorry can't answer your question :(

on the plus side - yay, just collected my case from parcel force depot (uk) - it was a 25th Jan batch

Nox

been looking at those coolers too :) but sorry can't answer your question :(

on the plus side - yay, just collected my case from parcel force depot (uk) - it was a 25th Jan batch

Nox

Congrats. Happy building:D

You could also take a look at the Scythe Kabuto II. That does let you use the side 3,5" bracket. It's cheaper that the Noctua coolers too

FYI I had the NH-C12P SE14. It recycles air. Although, I did have all the Demciflex filters which do restrict airflow.

I switched to the NH-U9S in push/pull and a rear exhaust and temps are significantly happier. I can't speak much to airflow hitting the mobo but my CPU is much happier I made the swap

Anyone else still waiting from their Jan shipment? Seems it landed on the 7th in Cali but still hasn't been updated since Sunday the 7th lol. I am getting REALLY antsy.

February 7, 2016 , 5:11 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
RICHMOND, CA 94804
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in RICHMOND, CA 94804 on February 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Sorry for spamming the thread today guys, but I have a question that I can't seem to google my way out of. I wass thinking about going for the AE III due to the heatsinks that are bundled with it and not needing that huge heatsink backplate that comes with the AE IV.

BUT. It seems like there are different mounting machanisms for attaching these coolers to the GPU. The AE III seem to have a metal backplate for the GPU socket while the AE IV does not. Now I'm thinking that the AE IV would probably let me keep the stock backplate on my GPU (maybe with a few minor modifications) by havng the 4 bolts go through the holes that already exist in the backplate (eventual modifications being widening said holes). Does anyone have enough information to confirm that the mounting mechanisms are in fact like I am assuming?

If I could go back on my purchase I might have picked the AEIII instead exactly for the heatsinks. I ended up having to dremel an old gtx 660ti heatsink to fit under the the AEIV. Also I had to use 3mm fat washers as spacers to get the right height on the bolts.

I'm not sure about the answer to your backplate question. I would guess that if your backplate is already load-bearing so to speak, then it will also be able to hold the AEIV in place. However, if it's a cosmetic backplate (like e.g. the aluminium EKWB backplates), then the force needed to tighten the nuts probably would tear through softer metal.

If I could go back on my purchase I might have picked the AEIII instead exactly for the heatsinks. I ended up having to dremel an old gtx 660ti heatsink to fit under the the AEIV. Also I had to use 3mm fat washers as spacers to get the right height on the bolts.

I'm not sure about the answer to your backplate question. I would guess that if your backplate is already load-bearing so to speak, then it will also be able to hold the AEIV in place. However, if it's a cosmetic backplate (like e.g. the aluminium EKWB backplates), then the force needed to tighten the nuts probably would tear through softer metal.

I see. I've been going through the assortment of small heatsinks on moddiy for replacemets if I were to go for the AE IV. I think I'll end up pulling off the stock cooler and measure the components that need cooling. Arctic has a web store on e-bay that sell thos heatsinks separately by packets of 5 but the ram heatsinks are out of stock atm. Thing is. After looki g for the best deals around the web the AE III is harder to get hold of and more expensive. Cheapest alternative to get an AEIII to norway seems to be e-bay from germany. It's about 25% more expensive than to get an AE IV from cdon shipped from Sweden. That difference will probably be eaten by getting heatsinks anyway.

My backplate is afaik purely aestetic. It isn't load bearing. You can remove the entire cooler with 6 screws that you can access through holes in the backplate withaout removing the backplate itself. 4 of them the main ones that would be used to fasten any of the AE coolers. Good tip about the 3mm washers. That saves me having to figure it out myself. The diameter of washers i (if AE IV) use would be what makes the need for widening the backplate holes.
EDIT: Here's a pic of it:
9UWcUadm.jpg

I don't know which way to go. Aestetically I really wnt to keep my backplate. It looks way better than bare pcb. But i still got to figure out the heatsink stuff first.

Last edited:
Anyone else still waiting from their Jan shipment? Seems it landed on the 7th in Cali but still hasn't been updated since Sunday the 7th lol. I am getting REALLY antsy.

February 7, 2016 , 5:11 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
RICHMOND, CA 94804
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in RICHMOND, CA 94804 on February 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Is your final destination California? Mine hit the same USPS facility in richmond on Feb 8th and left the same day to my local post office which reached on feb 9th and delivered the same day. But I'm close to that richmond facility in the bay area.

FYI I had the NH-C12P SE14. It recycles air. Although, I did have all the Demciflex filters which do restrict airflow.

I switched to the NH-U9S in push/pull and a rear exhaust and temps are significantly happier. I can't speak much to airflow hitting the mobo but my CPU is much happier I made the swap

Interesting, thanks for the tip! I noticed one poster mention including a slim 92mm for rear exhaust to help with that issue, do you think that's a viable option?

This is really personal appeal at this point, I enjoy the look of a top-flow 140mm cooler over a tower cooler in the M1 but I'll have to decide how much efficiency I'm willing to sacrifice in the name of aesthetics.

Interesting, thanks for the tip! I noticed one poster mention including a slim 92mm for rear exhaust to help with that issue, do you think that's a viable option?

This is really personal appeal at this point, I enjoy the look of a top-flow 140mm cooler over a tower cooler in the M1 but I'll have to decide how much efficiency I'm willing to sacrifice in the name of aesthetics.
I am doing this for my build because I will be using a NH-C14 with a 5820k so the more heat I can get out the better. FWIW, the 92mm exhaust fans in most of the builds has been the NF-A9x14.

I am doing this for my build because I will be using a NH-C14 with a 5820k so the more heat I can get out the better. FWIW, the 92mm exhaust fans in most of the builds has been the NF-A9x14.

Yeah that's the fan that I was looking at too, the only other one I noticed was ID-Cooling's NO-9215 but I'm probably sticking with Noctua.

Can anyone speak to how valuable having two 120mm fans beneath the GPU is for cooling? The 270x I have now already has two fans of its own but it'll only be there until the next generation of cards which may or may not need the additional fans for support.

I ask this because my two options at the moment for cooling are:
1) the NH-C12P with two 120mm's beneath the GPU and the 3.5" HDD on the side bracket OR
2) the NH-C14 with the 3.5" HDD and a 92mm fan beneath the GPU and no side bracket
(both would also have a 92mm for rear exhaust)

So it basically boils down to how much difference in cooling ability there is between these two. If it's marginal, then I'd stick with the NH-C12P so that I can have the two 120mm's on the bottom.

If I could go back on my purchase I might have picked the AEIII instead exactly for the heatsinks. I ended up having to dremel an old gtx 660ti heatsink to fit under the the AEIV.

Thats what i was wanting to know. I read that the heatsinks had and thermal glue though and they were extremely difficult to get off? Ideally i would be able to get the IV and get some other small heatsinks for the vrm/vram on amazon. would any work or has anyone had experience with a certain kind?

is there any reason to sell my corsair sp120 high performance fans for noctuas? from what ive read they are nearly identical.

The noise will definitely be a good adjustment over the ref blower. So the temps could be even better with the fans rpm increased id imagine? One concern is getting a new GPU and having the accelero not fit, specifically the nvidia 1000 series whenever they are released.
I wouldn't buy any cooler now and expect it to work with the 1000 series. HBM is going to change the heatsink layout quite a bit.

Yeah I would like to see some numbers on the intake vs exhaust on the bottom fans, I am not doubting but it just seems wrong lol. That morpheus looks NICE! would be interested in that too.

Also, what heatsinks to people buy for the vrm/vram when using the accelero? The ones phuncz has looks great
I haven't bothered to test the Accelero IV with fans as intake since the GPU simply produces so much more heat than the rest of the system. (250-300W compared to 100W from the CPU). In previous configs e.g. the EVGA Hybrid as intake, my SSDs were getting close to maximum rated operating temperature.

For heatsinks I bought some generic aluminium ones for the VRAM from Ebay and used some VRM heatsinks from a smaller Arctic cooler.

What is the best air cooler than can fit a 120mm fan and/or hdd cage next to it?

The c14 is ideal but based on this post by Necere it only orients one way with my mobo and looks like the hdd cant fit, correct?

The Noctua C12P has been working great for me so far with an A15 fan. Dust collects on the side panel above it, so it's clearly pulling in some fresh air.

The Accelero IV can be used without the included backplate. It only attaches through the 4 screws around the GPU so your old backplate should be fine too.

Can anyone speak to how valuable having two 120mm fans beneath the GPU is for cooling?
I ask this because my two options at the moment for cooling are:
1) the NH-C12P with two 120mm's beneath the GPU and the 3.5" HDD on the side bracket OR
2) the NH-C14 with the 3.5" HDD and a 92mm fan beneath the GPU and no side bracket

So it basically boils down to how much difference in cooling ability there is between these two. If it's marginal, then I'd stick with the NH-C12P so that I can have the two 120mm's on the bottom.

If you're on a quad core Intel or lower, the C12P will be more than sufficient. I wouldn't put a HDD under the GPU as it will either get hot, or restrict airflow to the GPU itself.

The Accelero IV can be used without the included backplate. It only attaches through the 4 screws around the GPU so your old backplate should be fine too.

Thanks. I've found a few different ram and vrm heatsinks that seem like they could work well so I am a bit closer to an actual solution now. One final (I hope) question: Afaik the heatsinks included with the AE III are 9mm tall, but from pictures it looks like there is room for taller. Do you know how much space there is between the PCB and the main heatsink? I am looking at some vrm heatsinks that are 15mm tall.

Back