NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hi, hope someone can help me. Looking forward to building my ncase pc.

With regards to case fan positioning, I may be trying two intake fans below the case and switch the:
be quiet! DARK ROCK TF CPU Cooler to also intake cold air from the side. hopefully forcing the hot air up, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Just got my v5 in the mail today. Maybe I got one of the first ones since I live in Hawaii. Cool to see all the customs stickers and stuff from
Taiwan :)

Going to transfer the guts from my prodigy over once I get a SFF PSU. All I see are noise complaints about the SFX-L PSUs so I'm not really excited about buying one.

Have been visiting this forum for years, and now finally registered an account to say thank you very much for creating this amazing case, can't wait to receive my v5.

I got my Fractal S24 and installed it. That pump noise is something between quiet and hell. Let see if that drop down or maybe its back to air. That was quiet.

Hi, hope someone can help me. Looking forward to building my ncase pc.

With regards to case fan positioning, I may be trying two intake fans below the case and switch the:
be quiet! DARK ROCK TF CPU Cooler to also intake cold air from the side. hopefully forcing the hot air up, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance

I had also this cooler and works fine. 6700k @ 4,4GHz about 85C max temps.
I have now also tested C7 and Fractal S24.
C7 = noisy as hell
S24 = pump noise
DR TF = best of all, quiet and keeps temp enough low.

Edit.

For Be quiet. Block your pci-e connector so you need to use extender and also touch little bit to first RAM.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/yI3TA
That was only way how that cooler fits to asrock.

Edit2. Put that S24 pump directly to psu and now its not making not so bad noise. Maybe still change back to Be quiet because that was quiet.

Last edited:
This is great information. The Bequiet website lists it being compatible with the Asrock itx/AC, but i'm not sure they should claim that if it requires an extender to use it with a graphics card. I wonder if they were just counting on people using the 6700K graphics?

This is great information. The Bequiet website lists it being compatible with the Asrock itx/AC, but i'm not sure they should claim that if it requires an extender to use it with a graphics card. I wonder if they were just counting on people using the 6700K graphics?

Where is that list? I am not sure what they think but let see again when I got my thermal grease to attach this Be quiet again.

When I was installing that cooler I think that was only way to get that on mb.

Edit. Found. http://www.bequiet.com/en/motherboardcheck
Edit2. Maybe solution is put cooler heatpipes up but if I remember right then Ncase top cover not fit anymore.

Last edited:
Have been visiting this forum for years, and now finally registered an account to say thank you very much for creating this amazing case, can't wait to receive my v5.

Ditto. My v5 has arrived in Richmond CA FINALLY! Just a couple of more days to make it to the east coast!

I got my Fractal S24 and installed it. That pump noise is something between quiet and hell. Let see if that drop down or maybe its back to air. That was quiet.

I purposely chose a CPU on the lower TDP range i5-6500 (65w) to be air cooled for noise. I didn't realize that watercooling could be noisy with the water pump always going.

I also got a Raijintek Morpheus to air cool the GTX 980. I've read that it doesn't fit, but I'm hoping that it can work with some slim fans. I'll report back on my luck.

I looked at the Ncase compatibility document. There is a note saying that people had to use the ATX bracket to fit the Noctua C14. The C14 is a top down cooler like the Dark Rock TF. I wonder if it would help?

I am still waiting for my case. I have the Asrock with a Silicon Lottery delid 6700K @4.8Ghz. I'm using a Thermolab LP53 after looking at DonDan's thread, and It's a nice low profile cooler. I don't break 50c while gaming, but if use something like ROG Realbench, the cooler gets overwhelmed and the CPU can hit 95C. I'm hoping that a cooler like the Bequiet can let me keep my overclock.

I purposely chose a CPU on the lower TDP range i5-6500 (65w) to be air cooled for noise. I didn't realize that watercooling could be noisy with the water pump always going.

I also got a Raijintek Morpheus to air cool the GTX 980. I've read that it doesn't fit, but I'm hoping that it can work with some slim fans. I'll report back on my luck.

Which cpu cooler you will get? or you have not decided yet?

Which cpu cooler you will get? or you have not decided yet?

I got the Noctua NH-L12 per silent pc review with an additional 92mm fan to aid in a push/pull configuration. I ran the mobo in the open with a single fan on the i5-6500 and temps were around 33C at idle. 5 minutes of Prime 95 (4x cores) came in at around 55C or so with the fans never really exceeding 900-1000rpm. I'm guessing once everything is in the case, the warmer ambient temps will result in slightly higher temps, but it looks like a great potential silent configuration.

Wow the Noctua fans are quiet. It was amazing that the ambient noise from outside coming through the closed window in the dead of night was still louder than the fans. I really had to put my ear to the unit to hear the Noctua fan noise over the ambient noise.

Much to my dismay, the slim Silverstone fans which I was planning on using for the GPU sounded like rocket ships in comparison to the Noctuas. I'm thinking maybe the Scythe Slipstream fans or maybe 2x 92x14mm Noctuas may be the ones to use on the GPU.

Last edited:

Looking at this guy, I think I may end up returning the Raijintek Morpheus and go for an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV instead since it appears to fit and can fit 25mm thick 120mm fans on the bottom of the case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CableManag..._promised_what_my_ncase_m1_looks_like_behind/

Really love my new case but I'm running it with my ATX power supply dangling out of the side of the case until I can make up my mind on a new SFX PSU. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy the noisy Silverstone SX500 just so I can stop staring at this wire mess :)

edit: pulled the trigger. Hope the chirp noise isn't too terrible.

Last edited:
just ordered a Noctua NH-U9DX i4

fingers crossed eh? should fit, albeit somewhat tightly...

Nox

Just got notice my case is going to ship between the 25th and the 28th. Super excited to get it in a few weeks.

thank you for taking time to contact the be quiet! Customer care.

The combination with Dark Rock TF and Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac is absolutely compatible.
The PCI-E slot will be not covered by the cooler.
Have a great day!

Let see when I got new thermal grease, then I can start installation.

I'm super excited! Post office tried to deliver on Tuesday and its killing me to have to wait to pick it up. Should have it tomorrow! Now I can work on the rest of the build :D

Myself, I'm going with the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5. If it had better fan control in the BIOS, and had Intel instead of Killer Ethernet, I'd be happier, but otherwise...

(There's also the GA-Z170N-Wifi, which does have Intel Ethernet, but it doesn't have the reinforced PCIe slot (nice to have if you're moving the machine a lot), and it doesn't have Alpine Ridge for Thunderbolt 3, instead having the ASMedia USB 3.1 controller.)

There is the Asus Maximus VIII Impact, but it's a damn expensive board, and I'm wondering how the daughterboards would affect cooling. But, you get Intel Ethernet and USB 3.1 (which means a possible Thunderbolt 3 update), and you get Asus's fan control. No reinforced PCIe slot, though, I think that's just a Gigabyte and MSI thing.

I got the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 as well.. It was one of the few boards with a USB C port. The M.2 on the back is nice as well. Supposedly the MSI board doens't even support longer m.2 SSD's.

On the side note, my case in CA yay.

I dread to think how much Gigabyte pay Intel for TB3 exclusivity/licensing...

It would be a big factor in me upgrading motherboards.

Nox

Damn I remember wrong. I installed Be quiet Dark Rock TF back to my MB and it's fits perfectly and also PCI-E is clear so you don't need to use pci-e extender. Cooler is so quiet which is good.
Only problem is that cooler will little bit bend your memory but I have used this setup about 3 months and didn't got any problem.

I only use pci-extender because I have this SFX-L psu. Maybe when Corsair SF is out I will change tho that because I want those bottom fans.

Here are few old and new pics: http://imgur.com/a/yI3TA

What touches the ram in your computer build? Is it the heatpipes, or the bottom fan?

Bottom heatsink.

dzoJbbT.jpg

And also rams are Kington HyperX DDR4.
http://www.kingston.com/us/company/...Memory;-Adds-High-capacity-Predator-DDR4-Kits

If you want to know dimensions.

HyperX FURY DDR4 Features and Specifications:
Easy to install: plug-and-play1 functionality
Automatic overclocking: reach faster speeds and higher capacities just by installing the memory, no adjustments in BIOS needed
Cost-efficient: the perfect combination of price and DDR4 performance
Unique: asymmetrical, signature FURY heat spreader
Design: low profile, black heat spreader color and matching PCB
Reliable: 100% factory tested
Compatible: tested with all popular brands of motherboards
Guaranteed: lifetime warranty, free technical support
Capacities: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB & 64GB kits
Frequency: 2133MHz, 2400MHz, 2666MHz
CAS Latency: CL14-CL15
Voltage: 1.2V
Operating Temperature: 0°C to 85°C
Storage Temperature: -55°C to 100°C
Dimensions: 133.35mm x 34.24mm

So did we ever come to a conclusion which z170 mobo was best for the 6600 & 6700 CPUs and the M1? I'd like to build a V1 model with one of these newer chip and mobo. Something with good wifi is a plus.

So did we ever come to a conclusion which z170 mobo was best for the 6600 & 6700 CPUs and the M1? I'd like to build a V1 model with one of these newer chip and mobo. Something with good wifi is a plus.

Doesn't seem to be any definitive consensus. I think several people were leaning towards the Gigabyte option because it came with M.2 and a USB-C port.

The ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac also has M.2 and USB-C (Asmedia controller), and the bonus of Intel NIC. Gigabyte has a KillerNIC (if that matters), but Alpine Ridge USB controller.

I am not sure there is a clear-cut definitive winner. I've been leaning towards the ASRock as my current desktop ASRock board has been perfectly stable for me. Once I get my M1 in my hands (hopefully tonight!) I'll have abetter idea for cable layout and ports. Then I'll be waiting for the Corsair SF PSU availability... I still have time to decide.

Hey, does anyone else have their tracking stuck at "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment"? Shipped on January 10th to the US.

Doesn't seem to be any definitive consensus. I think several people were leaning towards the Gigabyte option because it came with M.2 and a USB-C port.
Don't take it personal, the comment below is meant generally.

The USB Type-C port is vastly being overrated. It's a port that makes it handy to blindly insert, but when this tiny port is in the back of a PC, filled with ports and cables, this makes the entire point moot.
In the end most people will just bend over and look where it needs to go or just use a Type-A end which comes with any device with Type-C currently.

By the time USB Type-C is less than rare (on devices where it matters), we'll be a year or two ahead. And even then, most cables will still just be Type-A to Type-C because most people don't remove cables at both ends constantly with a desktop computer, especially when it runs from the back. It's also not a given that the Type-C port is explicitly faster than any other 3.1gen1 (aka: USB 3.0 SuperSpeed) port.

So if you somehow need Type-C to Type-C in your life right now or the next year, you'll need to get an additional cable anyway, since manufacturers don't want to include a cable only 2% of the buyers can use for their phone, tablet or laptop. And what devices merit from this type of connector ? Those devices, not the back I/O of a desktop PC. It should be in the front, if anything.

It should be in the front, if anything.

Exactly. The lack of a USB 3.1 motherboard connector is preventing case makers from including USB Type-C ports on front panels.

I did see one motherboard maker (EVGA ?) include a SATA Express to USB 3.1 module that could be mounted in a front drive bay, but that's it so far. I'm surprised we haven't even seen pass-through cables from the front panel to rear USB 3.1 ports as we did when USB 3.0 was new.

Damn I remember wrong. I installed Be quiet Dark Rock TF back to my MB and it's fits perfectly and also PCI-E is clear so you don't need to use pci-e extender. Cooler is so quiet which is good.
Only problem is that cooler will little bit bend your memory but I have used this setup about 3 months and didn't got any problem.

I only use pci-extender because I have this SFX-L psu. Maybe when Corsair SF is out I will change tho that because I want those bottom fans.

Here are few old and new pics: http://imgur.com/a/yI3TA

How did you get a PCI-E Riser to fit??
I bought the 3M one and it doesn't fit at all so it's wasting away now :(

Granted, I've now gone the dual 120mm intakes at the bottom so I don't need it anymore but I'm still curious!!

Hey, does anyone else have their tracking stuck at "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment"? Shipped on January 10th to the US.

It means that it's waiting to get/on a boat or a plane. depending on which shipping option you chose. The boat option means it will be in that state for a month or so. In the U.S., the tracking won't update until it reaches the inbound dock.

For me, my tracking shows:

1. "origin post is preparing shipment"
  2. "arrived at USPS facility - Richmond, CA"
  3. "departed USPS facility - Richmond, CA"

It's not as refreshing as UPS or FedEx tracking where you can see progress every 6-12 hours or so.

It means that it's waiting to get/on a boat or a plane. depending on which shipping option you chose. The boat option means it will be in that state for a month or so. In the U.S., the tracking won't update until it reaches the inbound dock.

For me, my tracking shows:

1. "origin post is preparing shipment"
  2. "arrived at USPS facility - Richmond, CA"
  3. "departed USPS facility - Richmond, CA"

It's not as refreshing as UPS or FedEx tracking where you can see progress every 6-12 hours or so.

I got the Air 1 shipping, I even watched it land live on flightradar24.com a week ago. I'll probably give it another week before contacting NCASE. This wait is killing me :p

I could use some advice for my m1 build:

I have an opportunity to get a new in box 6700k for $350 OR a 5820k for $300. Since the ASRock x99 board is like $250 and the ASRock Fatality Gaming is about $150 I am looking at a platform cost of $500 for the 6700k and $550 for the 5820k.

Which would you choose in my situation? I am going to be aircooling (personal preference and I already have a Noctua CH-N14) and the computer will probably be 80% gaming and 20% streaming/encoding/converting videos. I guess my question really is this: Is the 5820k worth it for $50 more and the extra heat it will put into my case (95w 6700k vs 140w 5820k)?

Last edited:
I could use some advice for my m1 build:

I have an opportunity to get a new in box 6700k for $350 OR a 5820k for $300. Since the ASRock x99 board is like $250 and the ASRock Fatality Gaming is about $150 I am looking at a platform cost of $500 for the 6700k and $550 for the 5820k.

Which would you choose in my situation? I am going to be aircooling (personal preference and I already have a Noctua CH-N14) and the computer will probably be 80% gaming and 20% streaming/encoding/converting videos. I guess my question really is this: Is the 5820k worth it for $50 more and the extra heat it will put into my case (95w 6700k vs 140w 5820k)?

For gaming you'd be focused more on single threaded performance, but either CPU is sufficient.

For encoding, you will want to maximize cores & clock, which the 5820k will have better overall throughput, but the 6700K isn't that far behind. Maybe 10-15% or so.

Since you're air cooling, the biggest impact will probably be on noise level generated by the fans. Personally, I'd say go for the 6700k for the following reasons:

* lower noise from fans at load (less heat to dissipate)
* not that much slower for encoding tasks
* lower price/electric
* potential future upgradability with LGA1151 socket CPUs
* better single threaded performance for gaming which is 80% of usage

For gaming you'd be focused more on single threaded performance, but either CPU is sufficient.

For encoding, you will want to maximize cores & clock, which the 5820k will have better overall throughput, but the 6700K isn't that far behind. Maybe 10-15% or so.

Since you're air cooling, the biggest impact will probably be on noise level generated by the fans. Personally, I'd say go for the 6700k for the following reasons:

* lower noise from fans at load (less heat to dissipate)
* not that much slower for encoding tasks
* lower price/electric
* potential future upgradability with LGA1151 socket CPUs
* better single threaded performance for gaming which is 80% of usage
Won't the X99 chipset be compatible with Broadwell-E as well going forward? I suppose since I am pretty much decided on waiting for new GPUs at this point I could wait for the new broadwells to release? http://www.techpowerup.com/img/15-11-19/186a.jpg Q2 puts it April to June?

I am leaning toward 6700k for the reasons you already stated though unless I find a really great deal on a 5820k that I can replace later.

Back