NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Inspired by PLHHSB's work, I made custom cables.
Custom external bottom filter

Does anyone by chance have the measurements to the bottom filter? its the perfect shape and covers all the screw holes and what not. Sucks demci is closed till the 10th

Does anyone by chance have the measurements to the bottom filter? its the perfect shape and covers all the screw holes and what not. Sucks demci is closed till the 10th

Whoa, same here!
I bought the stock one and I'm kind of annoyed it doesn't fit as well as this one!

ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

In my experience (with a 2700K, 3770K, 4770K and 4790K) the NH-C12P looks pretty nice but just doesn't perform. Space permitting, the NH-C14 should be much more competent.

Got a gift certificate to newegg for Christmas, and it looks like people are price gouging the C14 on newegg :\

Should I just try to get a H100i GTX with gentle typhoons on it to fit? I want to OC my 4690k as far as possible.

Funnily enough people are price-gouging the H100i (non-GTX) as well ever since it went EOL.

Since the H100i GTX's hoses are too long to fit comfortably, go with the H105 instead.

I was in the same boat since I was thinking of using a h100i gtx. Picked up a refurb h105 from newegg on eBay for $59.99 the other day.

I have also been looking at the new Silverstone td02 slim just because of its slimmer size.

Man I'm really excited to pick up a v5, I was just wondering what people are using for their cpu heatsink that still lets you use the drive cage - I've heard promising things about the noctua c12 but it doesn't seem to be in stock anymore. Any other suggestions?

Remember to check the Google Docs spreadsheet on the very first post of this thread.

A heatsink similar to the NH-C12 is the Cryorig C1. The note on the spreadsheet indicates that the CPU socket must be centered on the motherboard.

Thanks Qrash! Can you tell me which sheet you found that on? I looked through the spreadsheet before and could not find anything referencing that cooler.

I found it on the sheet labelled "Does This Fit?". CPU heatsinks ("Coolers" on the spreadsheet) begin at Row 35. The Cryorig C1 is listed on row 47.

Another heatsink that you might consider is the Noctua NH-U9S. It comes with two sets of fan clips, but only one fan (92 mm) so order a second one if you want a push-pull configuration.

Actually, the Cryorig C1 is not the heatsink I was thinking of. I meant to suggest the heatsink that Phuncz uses, the Scythe Kabuto II. This is taller than the C1 and is more like the NH-C14. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

I didn't get much traction elsewhere but I have a question for those with this case: Can you fit 2x SSDs and 1 fullsize HDD (not a laptop drive) in this case with a full size GPU and CPU cooler (water or air)?

I just haven't seen regular HDD in pictures and unfortunately it is kind of a hard requirement for me simply due to the size of files I keep on the drive.

I didn't get much traction elsewhere but I have a question for those with this case: Can you fit 2x SSDs and 1 fullsize HDD (not a laptop drive) in this case with a full size GPU and CPU cooler (water or air)?

I just haven't seen regular HDD in pictures and unfortunately it is kind of a hard requirement for me simply due to the size of files I keep on the drive.

I think you can, your 2X SSDs will go up front (or one in the M2 slot if you're into that too) behind the case's faceplate, and your 3.5" HDD can go on the side bracket that usually holds the 240mm radiator. You just need to use some sort of big air cooler and watch the clearance on the right side. I think if I put the fan in the right place on my NH C14 the bracket would work, but I haven't tried. Bottom line, it's definitely doable.

I don't think it's possible to use a combo of 240mm rad, full length high end video card, 2SSD + 3.5" HDD, though. The 3.5" drive can technically fit under the GPU but my non-blower 980 Ti gets so damn hot even with that space open I don't believe there's headroom to obstruct airflow with a heat-generating metal block down there.

Actually, the Cryorig C1 is not the heatsink I was thinking of. I meant to suggest the heatsink that Phuncz uses, the Scythe Kabuto II. This is taller than the C1 and is more like the NH-C14. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
Ahh right I have heard of the Kabuto II. Do you think the Kabuto II or the Noctua U9S provides better cooling? It's hard to find tests where both are compared on the same test bench.

I think you can, your 2X SSDs will go up front (or one in the M2 slot if you're into that too) behind the case's faceplate, and your 3.5" HDD can go on the side bracket that usually holds the 240mm radiator. You just need to use some sort of big air cooler and watch the clearance on the right side. I think if I put the fan in the right place on my NH C14 the bracket would work, but I haven't tried. Bottom line, it's definitely doable.

I don't think it's possible to use a combo of 240mm rad, full length high end video card, 2SSD + 3.5" HDD, though. The 3.5" drive can technically fit under the GPU but my non-blower 980 Ti gets so damn hot even with that space open I don't believe there's headroom to obstruct airflow with a heat-generating metal block down there.

Okay I get what you are saying. I found a pic here https://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static...5e9.adf0f2f27b0b1cc0b861bc7d0a4ee043.1600.jpg
I plan to get a blower style GPU to help with temps. I could get a 2.5" HDD but that seems like a waste when they cost nearly as much as SSDs. The real issue I have is that I have 2x 500 GB SSDs and then a 3 TB HDD as storage and backup. Not sure the best way to go without mechanical drives unless I hook up the HDD in a external USB enclosure or something. I just wonder if putting a HDD in the position above is drastically going to change airflow in the case.

I'm fairly sure the C14 heatpipes prevent the use of the HDD cage.

Yes, the Noctua NH-C14 extends into the front half of the side fan bracket where the 3.5 inch drive cage goes. You are better off using a smaller CPU cooler such as Noctua's NH-U9S or the Scythe Kabuto II. Noctua used to make the NH-C12 which would have also worked, but like the NH-C14 it's been discontinued.

If you are desparate, I think you could cut down the height of the drive cage so that it only holds one 3.5 inch drive and this may fit beside the NH-C14. Here is a photo from Post # 2686 of this thread:

RMgfA99l.jpg

If you cut the sides of the drive cage down to a height of 25 mm the drive cage would be beside the NH-C14's top fan, in place of teh other 120 mm fan visible in that photo. The drive cage would not use the space beside the heatsink fins and heatpipes. I suggested this once before, but I don't believe it's ever been tried. I would look carefully from an overhead view to see if this is doable.

Yes, you can fit two 2.5 inch SSDs on the inside of the front panel using the stacking plates provided with the case. You can even place two 7mm thick SSDs on the outside of it, where a slim optical drive goes.

Yes, the Noctua NH-C14 extends into the front half of the side fan bracket where the 3.5 inch drive cage goes. You are better off using a smaller CPU cooler such as Noctua's NH-U9S or the Scythe Kabuto II. Noctua used to make the NH-C12 which would have also worked, but like the NH-C14 it's been discontinued.

If you are desparate, I think you could cut down the height of the drive cage so that it only holds one 3.5 inch drive and this may fit beside the NH-C14. Here is a photo from Post # 2686 of this thread:

If you cut the sides of the drive cage down to a height of 25 mm the drive cage would be beside the NH-C14's top fan, in place of teh other 120 mm fan visible in that photo. The drive cage would not use the space beside the heatsink fins and heatpipes. I suggested this once before, but I don't believe it's ever been tried. I would look carefully from an overhead view to see if this is doable.

The question is would this be a better option than a smaller cooler? In that pic it looks like you would lose a not insignificant amount of surface area for the fan to cool the heatsink. If this is still the best option for cooling I have zero issues dremeling to cut that cage down.

Edit: Looking at this closer linked from that post I am not sure that even with the HDD cage shaved that this would work.
Y6Oxwi4l.jpg

Yes, you would lose some airflow through the furthest part of the C14 heatsink and be missing the second fan's airflow throughout the rest of the case.

Would it be possible to replace the 3.5 inch hard drive with a 2.5 inch one, such as the 2TB Samsung M9T? You could stack two of those on the inside of the front panel and have your two SSDs (if they are both 7 mm think) on the outside of the front panel and still have both side fans.

Yes, you would lose some airflow through the furthest part of the C14 heatsink and be missing the second fan's airflow throughout the rest of the case.

Would it be possible to replace the 3.5 inch hard drive with a 2.5 inch one, such as the 2TB Samsung M9T? You could stack two of those on the inside of the front panel and have your two SSDs (if they are both 7 mm think) on the outside of the front panel and still have both side fans.

You mean this guy?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178627 I am not sure how I feel about the higher latency and lower speeds from a 5400 drive. I suppose it could be an option if the additional fan means that much in terms of thermal performance better airflow/better cooler..

Yes, that's the drive. I think it's the highest capacity 2.5 mm hard drive so far.

If I was in your situation and had only one 3.5 inch hard drive to mount, I would try running the system with the hard drive inside a reduced drive cage or find some other means of attaching it to the front half of the side bracket. If your temperatures are too high, then you will have to find a way to increase the airflow. Depending on the rest of your components and how hot they operate, you might not need all of the fan positions occupied. Good luck!

Yes, that's the drive. I think it's the highest capacity 2.5 mm hard drive so far.

If I was in your situation and had only one 3.5 inch hard drive to mount, I would try running the system with the hard drive inside a reduced drive cage or find some other means of attaching it to the front half of the side bracket. If your temperatures are too high, then you will have to find a way to increase the airflow. Depending on the rest of your components and how hot they operate, you might not need all of the fan positions occupied. Good luck!

Alright thanks man. I feel better after asking and scrolling down more in the M1 build gallery to see some options. I think I will buy the case now and then wait on new GPUs and hold out for good deals on the rest and buy it slowly. Maybe by the time I can decide on a new GPU there will be some better large capacity SSD options as well as the new PSUs that are coming out.

I put in some case fans it seems to help cool the 7970 down so it doesn't ramp up when I am watching youtube videos. The card ramps up to 3k RPM now instead of 5k during gaming but even that's pretty loud.

I'll probably buy a new video card in summer time.

Alright thanks man. I feel better after asking and scrolling down more in the M1 build gallery to see some options. I think I will buy the case now and then wait on new GPUs and hold out for good deals on the rest and buy it slowly. Maybe by the time I can decide on a new GPU there will be some better large capacity SSD options as well as the new PSUs that are coming out.

There is another option. If you go for a short itx type GPU, you can fit the 3,5" drive cage on the floor in front of the GPU. That way you can do whatever you want up top. If you're buying new hardware anyway, and don't plan on a top tier GPU, the premium for a small version (at least for 960/970) isn't that bad, and a viable option performance wise as well. One thing to note is that most HDD's have a max operating temperature of 60C. The air from the GPU will heat them up, but it will probably be fine. Most new GPU's max out in the mid 70's and the air from the heatsink will be way cooler than that. If you use SFX PSU (as opposed to SFX-L) you'll probably be able to mount the bracket on a bottom 120mm fan to help with cooling. See the black and yellow build in the beginning of the user gallery.

Edit: I see you already went through the gallery so this might not be news to you;)

Edit2: And regarding shaving down the bracket, i think even the HDD itself would hit the C14, so I think you're right about that one.

Finally finished my M1 build this wekeend.

v4 case
Asus Maximus VI Impact
4790k @ 4.6ghz
Corsair Vengeance 16gb 2400mhz Memory
NZXT x31 AIO
Titan X with the hybrid cooler from a 980ti
Samsumg 850 Pro ssd
Silverstone 600w sfx psu

996767_566619490163100_8267599563893836065_n.jpg

10414403_566619486829767_1605844323783898225_n.jpg

996703_566619513496431_6392153044794853430_n.jpg

10400898_566619523496430_5635621701960169436_n.jpg

There is another option. If you go for a short itx type GPU, you can fit the 3,5" drive cage on the floor in front of the GPU. That way you can do whatever you want up top. If you're buying new hardware anyway, and don't plan on a top tier GPU, the premium for a small version (at least for 960/970) isn't that bad, and a viable option performance wise as well. One thing to note is that most HDD's have a max operating temperature of 60C. The air from the GPU will heat them up, but it will probably be fine. Most new GPU's max out in the mid 70's and the air from the heatsink will be way cooler than that. If you use SFX PSU (as opposed to SFX-L) you'll probably be able to mount the bracket on a bottom 120mm fan to help with cooling. See the black and yellow build in the beginning of the user gallery.

Edit: I see you already went through the gallery so this might not be news to you;)

Edit2: And regarding shaving down the bracket, i think even the HDD itself would hit the C14, so I think you're right about that one.
I think my plan right now is to wait for the new GPUs to come out (June?) because I am hoping they will be better not only at 1440p single gpu performance but also have better thermal performance. I did order the case so I will have plenty of time to mock up sizing and also keep my eye out for deals on very high capacity SSDs and go fully non mechanical.

I ordered mine right before the new year. I received an email saying that it would ship between Jan 4, and Jan 10th. There was a note saying that tracking numbers were manually entered on their end and that there would be a delay after shipment. I was told that the estimate for receiving my tracking number would be on Jan15th. Hope that helps.

I did this for a while in my V1 (two SSDs, and the mechanical on the case bottom underneath the GPU). If you're using a blower style GPU, you'll be fine. See this photo (just posted by msp1609):

10400898_566619523496430_5635621701960169436_n.jpg

Boop - does anyone have tested results or just comments on the NH-C12P SE14 versus the NH-U9S?
Essentially top down blowers vs a push-pull exhausted cooler.

I'm adding Noctua F12's to the bottom as intake for the GPU but I think the majority of heat is from the two 4TB WD Black drives I have. I think that the NH-U9S exhausting towards the top of the case and another 92mm exhaust at the back should help?

Additionally, I added the Demciflex filters (top, bottom, rear) and they are pretty restrictive! It may have been a bit of overkill but do you guys put filters on as much openings as possible or just for the intakes? I'm thinking about removing the rear and top to get easier airflow. Thoughts?

I did this for a while in my V1 (two SSDs, and the mechanical on the case bottom underneath the GPU). If you're using a blower style GPU, you'll be fine. See this photo (just posted by msp1609):

Yep really you could have 3 ssd's and 1 3.5" drive if you wanted. 2 under the front panel with the stacking bracket and 1 one the inside next to the sfx psu. With the 3.5 under the gpu. All while having a full 240 rad.

I ordered around the end of December. Just got my tracking numbers today, but the tracking number has no data on the Taiwan Post or USPS yet.

Anyone know how long air shipment usually takes from Taiwan to the US?

I ordered around the end of December. Just got my tracking numbers today, but the tracking number has no data on the Taiwan Post or USPS yet.

Anyone know how long air shipment usually takes from Taiwan to the US?

It kinda depends. Where I work we have had stuff come 7-10 business days air and then the next time we order it can take 20+ business days. :(

/edit: Taiwan to Texas

Additionally, I added the Demciflex filters (top, bottom, rear) and they are pretty restrictive! It may have been a bit of overkill but do you guys put filters on as much openings as possible or just for the intakes? I'm thinking about removing the rear and top to get easier airflow. Thoughts?
I have Demciflex filters too and I noticed the same thing. At the moment I have installed only the bottom filter since I have intake fan in there. I think it's better to install filters only to inflow areas. There's no point to block the outflow.

The thing about filters is that it's hard to give good general advise because it is so dependant on each use case. I use no filters. Just opened my case yesterday and its not too bad even after a year. That doesn't mean i can give a general advise not to use filters. A more dusty environment might require it. If you feel the need for less restrictive airflow, try it out. In a few months you can open the case again and see how bad it is and then make a decision on wether or not removing some filters was a good idea.

Only went with the side filters as it's a PITA to get dust out of radiators. Even with those and 700-800 fan RPM the 5960X barely grazes the low-mid 50s in gaming or general productivity loads.

The bottom filters were too tricky to install with the Noctua rubber fan mounts, but GPU airflow was compromised enough as it was.

Net positive pressure helps dust management. Everything except my NF-A9x14 is intake (all at low RPM too).

Back