NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Someone has said it before but lets reiterate, all the connectors on the motherboard can be found in full description in the motherboard manual. This manual can be downloaded from the manufacturer website which will show the full motherboard layout, and pin out of each connector, so you will find all the "system panel" headers in the manual.

As for the colour of the LED, this can not be adjusted without replacing the power switch module (hardware)

Thanks, but what I mean was there is this line in the first page of this thread:

"Power button: Blue/red (purple combined) power/drive activity LED". This is my M/B manuals page extract concerning F_Panel layout for the system panel connector(s):

http://postimage.org/app.php

So. If I want to make the power button puple for example, what do I connect where...? Maybe if I would've seen how the front panel connector looks on ncase (or any other PC for that matter, this beeing my first build) i wouldn't be asking such stupid questions. Sorry for that.

Also, could anyone tell me if Corsair H75 cooler is compatible with LGA 1151? (link). I'm asking because it is explicitly noted by the corsair, that it is compatible with: "Intel™ LGA 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011", and elsewhere (can't find where now...) I've found that it does support "115x" so meaning 1151 also...? :rolleyes:

Also, could anyone tell me if Corsair H75 cooler is compatible with LGA 1151? (link). I'm asking because it is explicitly noted by the corsair, that it is compatible with: "Intel™ LGA 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011", and elsewhere (can't find where now...) I've found that it does support "115x" so meaning 1151 also...? :rolleyes:

Yes, if a cooler fits on a 1150/1155 it also fits on the 1151.

Yes, if a cooler fits on a 1150/1155 it also fits on the 1151.

Yes, the hole geometry for all 115x sockets (so far) has been the same.

Thanks!

One more question about cooling. How do I connect the fans? There will be three 4 pin conectors (2x ventilators and 1 pump) combined, so all three should be connected on Cpu fan M/B connector? with something like this? (link)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"Power button: Blue/red (purple combined) power/drive activity LED". This is my M/B manuals page extract concerning F_Panel layout for the system panel connector(s):

http://postimage.org/app.php

So. If I want to make the power button puple for example, what do I connect where...?

Sounds like the light is purple when both the blue and red LEDs are lit, if I'm reading that right. If that's the case, you'd have to wire both of the LEDs to the same pins, either HD+/- or PW+/-, depending on whether you want it on with HDD activity or power, respectively. You'd have to rig something else together for the other indicator, if you care enough about it.

One more question about cooling. How do I connect the fans? There will be three 4 pin conectors (2x ventilators and 1 pump) combined, so all three should be connected on Cpu fan M/B connector? with something like this? (link)

I see that the Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI motherboard only has 2 fan headers (same as the MSI mini-ITX motherboards I looked at too), hence the need for a fan splitter. I would put the two fans on a splitter and plug that into one of the headers and then plug the pump into the other header.

Anyone: Should the pump plug into the CPU fan header or the SYSFAN header? I'm thinking the CPU header.

H170 motherboards are less expensive than the full Z170 motherboards. Another option for that chipset, THAT I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE WITH, is the Asus H170I-PLUS-D. This motherboard has 3 fan headers (CPU and two CHA_FAN (chasis)) and the Fan Xpert 2+ control feature. The negative is the audio is provided by the Realtek ALC887 vs. Realtek ALC 1150 on the Gigabyte board. Oh, and the Asus has its M.2 slot on the underside. It supports both SATA and PCI-E x4 SSDs up to 80 mm in length.

Good luck!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should plug it into the CPU fan header, since on most motherboards the system will throttle or turn off if the CPU fan (in this case, the pump) stops running. Some have a configuration option for an alarm on the other headers too, but that's your best option, especially if that alternative doesn't exist.

Has anyone done any extensive testing on Noctua Coolers vs 240mm radiators and which would produce a quieter system?

If air cooling would be indeed cheaper, is anything quieter than the Noctua NH-U9B SE2?

Has anyone done any extensive testing on Noctua Coolers vs 240mm radiators and which would produce a quieter system?

If air cooling would be indeed cheaper, is anything quieter than the Noctua NH-U9B SE2?

How does M/B by default control system and CPU fans? Is there any difference? I mean speedwise, or alocating more rpm?

I've gone from a Swiftech H220 setup (2 fans) with GPU full-cover block to a Scythe Kabuto II and Arctic Accelero Xtreme with 4 Noctua fans, the air-cooling is much quieter for me. And the temps are better too.

A good pump is crucial for noise with watercooling. But air cooling is also cheaper, less prone to defects (can't leak) and allows you to replace parts without disassembling part of your cooling setup.

My Ncase M1 album (sorted from newest to oldest): http://imgur.com/a/VyeIW

Last edited:

any chance i can get some dimensions on the apogee? simple distance between the mounting holes and the outer side of the inlet/outlet including bottom height off the holes would be great, im not running low profile ram and would like to know if i can mount an apogee drive ii horizontally.

any chance i can get some dimensions on the apogee? simple distance between the mounting holes and the outer side of the inlet/outlet including bottom height off the holes would be great, im not running low profile ram and would like to know if i can mount an apogee drive ii horizontally.

EdAKoDc.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. I doubt you will be able to fit it horizontally as the inlet/outlet will definitely hit the ram. I have the asus Z97i-plus and it would not fit horizontally as I recall.

I've gone from a Swiftech H220 setup (2 fans) with GPU full-cover block to a Scythe Kabuto II and Arctic Accelero Xtreme with 4 Noctua fans, the air-cooling is much quieter for me. And the temps are better too.

A good pump is crucial for noise with watercooling. But air cooling is also cheaper, less prone to defects (can't leak) and allows you to replace parts without disassembling part of your cooling setup.

That looks very nice! The two side bracket fans look larger than the bottom fans. Is that just because of the angle of the photo or are you using two 140mm fans in the side bracket?

What CPU cooler did you choose with the air cooling?

That looks very nice! The two side bracket fans look larger than the bottom fans. Is that just because of the angle of the photo or are you using two 140mm fans in the side bracket?

What CPU cooler did you choose with the air cooling?
120mm fans, the Noctua NF-F12's as I've mentioned. The CPU cooler is the Scythe Kabuto II that is also mentioned :p

120mm fans, the Noctua NF-F12's as I've mentioned. The CPU cooler is the Scythe Kabuto II that is also mentioned :p

Sorry, I missed that... any particular reason you chose the Scythe instead of Noctua C14 or Cryorig C1?

It looks like you mounted the fans to the bracked in the case. Is there any space between the cooler and the fan this way or is it a snug fit?

Does anyone know what screws are used for the motherboard standoff? 6-32?

Sorry, I missed that... any particular reason you chose the Scythe instead of Noctua C14 or Cryorig C1?
The Kabuto II fits perfectly in all dimensions, allowing the maximum amount of heatsink while still allowing the maximum amount of flexibility. No issues with ATX PSUs, HDD bracket and whatnot. But it may be difficult to find, it went End-of-Life a while back.

It looks like you mounted the fans to the bracked in the case. Is there any space between the cooler and the fan this way or is it a snug fit?
A few mm perhaps.

The Kabuto II fits perfectly in all dimensions, allowing the maximum amount of heatsink while still allowing the maximum amount of flexibility. No issues with ATX PSUs, HDD bracket and whatnot. But it may be difficult to find, it went End-of-Life a while back.

I found a Kabuto 2 available here in Germany.

But doesn't the Noctua C14 fit your specifications as well? That is the alternative I am currently considering.

But doesn't the Noctua C14 fit your specifications as well? That is the alternative I am currently considering.

The NH-C14 is larger and prevents the installation of the drive cage on the side fan bracket.

As always, check that your motherboard's CPU socket is positioned to prevent the C14 from interfering with the PCI-E slot or overhanging the edges of the board. Here is the (newly designed) webpage for the NH-C14: http://noctua.at/en/nh-c14.html Click on the Service tab and then the MAINBOARD COMPATIBILITY link to see if your motherboard has any issues with this cooler.

Last edited:
The NH-C14 is larger and prevents the installation of the drive cage on the side fan bracket.

As always, check that your motherboard's CPU socket is positioned to prevent the C14 from interfering with the PCI-E slot or overhanging the edges of the board. Here is the (newly designed) webpage for the NH-C14: http://noctua.at/en/nh-c14.html Click on the Service tab and then the MAINBOARD COMPATIBILITY link to see if your motherboard has any issues with this cooler.

Ok, great. Thanks!

For those of us with X99 builds, are the 500-600W SFX/L units really enough?

Using the SX600-G right now and kind of worried about throwing in a 5960X with the 980 Ti. I know it should be fine stock but I was planning on overclocking both of them to the greatest extent possible. Should've went with a 1660v3 or 1680v3 for the lower leakage but oh well.

Wish there were readily available alternatives to the SX700-LPT...

It's fine stock, but no, you should not try overclocking.

Both of those components drastically increase their power draw when overclocked.

I have a Ncase V4, I'm about to build in for the first time. I have a MSI GTX 970 4g gaming I will install, but I was curious about this card with the ARTIC Accelero after market cooler. I plan to do a full air cooled build with a C14 on the cpu, 2 120mm fans on side and bottom. Similar to Phuncz, Csd and Cowsgomoo's builds. Based on what I've seen the card looks very long with this cooler on it. Does anyone know if it will fit? I've been digging through the thread and google and haven't seen.

It's fine stock, but no, you should not try overclocking.

Both of those components drastically increase their power draw when overclocked.

Bleh, I guess I didn't plan well (was hoping higher-wattage SFX/L PSUs would be around by now).

I'll play it safe/stupid by seeing how much the system pulls under GTA V and/or Fallout 4 and adjusting the clocks/voltages accordingly. Fortunately my 980 Ti doesn't need any overvolting to hit the high 1400s, but that's still much more wattage than the default 250W. Might end up overclocking one and undervolting another in some weird compromise.

I figure if I can keep consumption below 600W (at the wall) I'll be "OK" until something better comes along.

You could go the non-modular 140 mm ATX route, opening up the power supply to customize your cabling. Maybe something along these lines, although then you're stuck with M.2 disks, due to the SATA power being modular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171094

And, there's the Dirac Tesla Cube 650 W SFX power supply, but IIRC it's basically just a clone of the 600 W Silverstone unit?

Last edited:
Lucky i see this post, I am about to buid my x99 with over clock 5960x @4.7Ghz.
I am coming from asus x99-a with msi 980ti, but sold off my 980ti because I dont really gamjng.

I mainly use my system for lightroom photoshop and premiere. Still undecide which gpu to use, currently I am using loan gfx 550.

I dont have issue running evga 850w psu with both overclock. Look like sfx 600w will suffer if I continue to overclock both cpu and gpu.

What if I just overclock 5960x and buy a new 970 would the sfx 600 have enough juice for both of them.

look through the imgur gallery linked on the first page of the thread - shows pictures of builds with this setup. it is indeed long and i think it goes quite close to poking throigh the hole in the chassis in the front - but it does indeed fit inside the case with no modifications.

i am literally in the middle of rebuilding my current node from a dual 120mm AIO setup to the C14/AXIV big air build. just waiting for the AXIV to arrive (2 months after order). pics will be posted when complete.

look through the imgur gallery linked on the first page of the thread - shows pictures of builds with this setup. it is indeed long and i think it goes quite close to poking throigh the hole in the chassis in the front - but it does indeed fit inside the case with no modifications.

i am literally in the middle of rebuilding my current node from a dual 120mm AIO setup to the C14/AXIV big air build. just waiting for the AXIV to arrive (2 months after order). pics will be posted when complete.

Yeah I've seen the cooler in a few builds, but I think with the MSI gtx 970 in particular, the cooler fastens to the card further down the pcb leaving a good 3-4 inches hanging off the end and the card is already 10.5 inches long. M1 states 12.5 is maximum gpu length, so I'm guessing this particular combo of gpu and cooler may not fit.

Take a look at this video at this point, the guy has just installed the cooler on the MSI GTX970 4g gaming card and you can see how far it hangs over the end of the pcb.

https://youtu.be/vBIMq86cB-U

Lucky i see this post, I am about to buid my x99 with over clock 5960x @4.7Ghz.
I am coming from asus x99-a with msi 980ti, but sold off my 980ti because I dont really gamjng.

I mainly use my system for lightroom photoshop and premiere. Still undecide which gpu to use, currently I am using loan gfx 550.

I dont have issue running evga 850w psu with both overclock. Look like sfx 600w will suffer if I continue to overclock both cpu and gpu.

What if I just overclock 5960x and buy a new 970 would the sfx 600 have enough juice for both of them.

For those of us with X99 builds, are the 500-600W SFX/L units really enough?

Using the SX600-G right now and kind of worried about throwing in a 5960X with the 980 Ti. I know it should be fine stock but I was planning on overclocking both of them to the greatest extent possible. Should've went with a 1660v3 or 1680v3 for the lower leakage but oh well.

Wish there were readily available alternatives to the SX700-LPT...

You'd be surpised... ;)

My SFX500L handles benching my 5960X @ 4.5 and my Titan-X @ 1500 concurrently (eg Firestrike combined test). I can bench each higher individually, but I'm still on air so the cooling becomes a problem for my CPU for anything higher than that.

You should have no trouble with overclocking both for everyday use as you will never have both under full load at the same time.

I'd recommend the 500L and just swap it out when the 700L Platinum is realeased, if you need the extra headroom :)

I am considering my CPU choice for the M1 and am wondering if the i7-6700 is the right choice for me if I am not planning any overclocking.

The i7-6700 has a standard core frequency of 3,4Mhz in comparison to the 4,0Mhz of the i7-6700K. But at the same time I read that the turbo frequency of the non-K version can be set to 4,0Mhz. Isn't that overclocking the CPU?

Is that a setting which can be chosen in the BIOS? I am panning a hackintosh with both OS X and Windows.

I am considering my CPU choice for the M1 and am wondering if the i7-6700 is the right choice for me if I am not planning any overclocking.

The i7-6700 has a standard core frequency of 3,4Mhz in comparison to the 4,0Mhz of the i7-6700K. But at the same time I read that the turbo frequency of the non-K version can be set to 4,0Mhz. Isn't that overclocking the CPU?

Is that a setting which can be chosen in the BIOS? I am panning a hackintosh with both OS X and Windows.

With 4 active cores, a 6700 actually boosts to 3.7 GHz while 6700K stays at 4 GHz so it's not a 0.6 GHz difference, it's much smaller. If you are not going to overclock anyway, you might as well get the 6700, it's almost as fast, <7% slower.

Motherboard manufacturers are not allowed by Intel to increase multi-core multipliers to match the highest boost multi on non-K processors AFAIK. Motherboard manufacturers could do it anyway though and if I understand this review correctly, they did manage to raise the multis on a 6500. Also, a user claims to have managed to lock his 6700 at 4 GHz.

With 4 active cores, a 6700 actually boosts to 3.7 GHz while 6700K stays at 4 GHz so it's not a 0.6 GHz difference, it's much smaller. If you are not going to overclock anyway, you might as well get the 6700, it's almost as fast, <7% slower.

Motherboard manufacturers are not allowed by Intel to increase multi-core multipliers to match the highest boost multi on non-K processors AFAIK. Motherboard manufacturers could do it anyway though and if I understand this review correctly, they did manage to raise the multis on a 6500. Also, a user claims to have managed to lock his 6700 at 4 GHz.

Ok, thanks. But the intel website talks about a boost to 4,0Mhz... http://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

So it I understand you correctly the CPU boost itself without any required settings in the BIOS? So it recognizes when a boost is needed?

Edit: I just read that the 4.0Ghz boost ist for single core applications.

Last edited:
The i5-6600K 3,5Ghz CPU has almost the same boost values as the i7-6700 3,4Mhz CPU and is 65&#8364; cheaper. The i7-6700K is another 60&#8364; on top of that. Is the i7 really worth the price difference?

Ok, thanks. But the intel website talks about a boost to 4,0Mhz... http://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

So it I understand you correctly the CPU boost itself without any required settings in the BIOS? So it recognizes when a boost is needed?

Edit: I just read that the 4.0Ghz boost ist for single core applications.

Yes, the CPU boosts itself automatically.

The i5-6600K 3,5Ghz CPU has almost the same boost values as the i7-6700 3,4Mhz CPU and is 65€ cheaper. The i7-6700K is another 60€ on top of that. Is the i7 really worth the price difference?

If you can't answer this yourself, there's a good chance it isn't. It depends on how multi-threaded your applications are. What do you use your PC for?

Interestingly, there is no difference in max boost speeds between the 6600K and the 6600: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm
So if you want an i5 and still won't overclock, there is no point in paying extra for the K-model.

Yes, the CPU boosts itself automatically.

If you can't answer this yourself, there's a good chance it isn't. It depends on how multi-threaded your applications are. What do you use your PC for?

Interestingly, there is no difference in max boost speeds between the 6600K and the 6600: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm
So if you want an i5 and still won't overclock, there is no point in paying extra for the K-model.

The main power intensive applications will be Lightroom and some gaming (but only once in a while). From 9 till 5 it will be used as a MAC for my girlfriends business as a standard office PC.

The question I am asking myself is if I can make use of the overclocking when running under OS X as well. Will there be any issues if I buy a i5-K and overclock it to 4,0Ghz under OS X?

Edit: Just found out that overclocking should work with OS X. So the K version is back on the table :) I guess i5-6600K it is then and I'll overclock to reach at least the level of the i7-6700

Last edited:
The main power intensive applications will be Lightroom and some gaming (but only once in a while). From 9 till 5 it will be used as a MAC for my girlfriends business as a standard office PC.

The question I am asking myself is if I can make use of the overclocking when running under OS X as well. Will there be any issues if I buy a i5-K and overclock it to 4,0Ghz under OS X?

It can help in Lightroom. For certain operations, like exporting images to disk, an i7 would probably be about 25-35% faster while other actions won't be any faster.

I can't comment on OS X overclocking, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

EDIT: Well, since only few actions actually make efficient use of the extra logical cores in an i7, you'd really only need a small overclock to get better performance overall.
I'd say 4.3 GHz on a 6600K would be fairly close. At that point, the i5 will beat the i7 easily in all applications using less than 4 cores whereas the i7 still wins in embarrassingly parallel workloads.

Last edited:
Back