NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Just got my 950 pro 512, and now my build is complete. I've been using a 1tb 850 evo as boot, which I'll switch to storage/games now.

Rest of my build can be found in a previous build, for now, here's a quick bench, and some shots of it in my case.

jZU98W7.png

http://imgur.com/a/MQIqP

I just finished my build, and I ended up going with a 512 GB 850 evo (m.2). Can you let us know if you can notice a difference in the upgrade to the 950 pro? I was originally planning to get the 950, but after reading reviews it seemed like the tangible benefit for more basic use cases (not heavy video / photo editing, gaming, browsing, etc.) wouldn't be that significant for a decent price change. Would love to see your impressions making the move from one to the other.

Hi all!

Looking to getting a CPU cooler ASAP. Silence will be my top priority, as the stock cooler + a stock GPU is driving me insane. Is there any Air cooler / AIO(120mm) (Tho i would prefer Air cooled) That you guys would recommend?

Thank you!

Has anyone put the Dark Rock TF into the ncase M1 yet?

I'd like to know if you can fit it with the heatpipes pointing towards the GPU and still fit the hard drive cage.

I plan to use the 3m riser card to move an EVGA 980 Ti down a slot - giving room for the Dark Rock and also room for an SFX-L PSU.

BUT I'd love for any reports of getting this cooler in with the hdd cage....

Anyone with pics on fitment?

bump >_<

Has anyone put the Dark Rock TF into the ncase M1 yet?

I'd like to know if you can fit it with the heatpipes pointing towards the GPU and still fit the hard drive cage.

I plan to use the 3m riser card to move an EVGA 980 Ti down a slot - giving room for the Dark Rock and also room for an SFX-L PSU.

BUT I'd love for any reports of getting this cooler in with the hdd cage....

Anyone with pics on fitment?
This is the only build I can recall seeing with the Dark Rock TF. If you read down that thread, the poster addresses fitment with the HDD cage. Of course, how and if it fits depends on the CPU socket location on the motherboard.

Hey Necere!

Yea that's the only one I saw as well. It doesn't make reference to pointing the heatpipes downwards towards the GPU and fitting though :(

Just curious - has there been any plans to make the ncase M1 larger to accommodate SFX-L more comfortably?

Yea that's the only one I saw as well. It doesn't make reference to pointing the heatpipes downwards towards the GPU and fitting though :(

Inside the link that Necere provided is a link to photos of the build: http://imgur.com/a/dyriR

The Dark Rock TF is installed with the ends of the heatpipes pointed downwards towards the PCI-E slot.

Wow that looks really sharp. I had no idea things like this existed. I was in the market for something like this over the summer.

This is the current MOBO that i am using. the CPU socket is so close to the PCI-E slot. Will Will there even be any coolers that I can fit onto it?

Thank you

I'm sure my problem has nothing to do with the Ncase specifically besides the fact that I'm using it but I don't really know where else to go for help. Just finished my build in the m1, was really excited to turn it on, as soon as I got it half way plugged in the psu exploded, sounded like a gunshot, small amount of smoke floated up. The power bar the cord was connected to is done, none of the other outlets on it work. A quick Google search lead me to another forum saying it's probably a faulty psu. I'm hoping that's true as I don't think I did anything wrong in the build. I'm using the sx600-g v1.1, the room I'm building is a bit humid, but I highly doubt that's and issue as other computers are running in the same room.

I'm sure my problem has nothing to do with the Ncase specifically besides the fact that I'm using it but I don't really know where else to go for help. Just finished my build in the m1, was really excited to turn it on, as soon as I got it half way plugged in the psu exploded, sounded like a gunshot, small amount of smoke floated up. The power bar the cord was connected to is done, none of the other outlets on it work. A quick Google search lead me to another forum saying it's probably a faulty psu. I'm hoping that's true as I don't think I did anything wrong in the build. I'm using the sx600-g v1.1, the room I'm building is a bit humid, but I highly doubt that's and issue as other computers are running in the same room.

Ouch... sounds like yet another case of the Silverstone 600w blowing up on people...

A quick google should help you find answers.

The only SFX psus out there that I'm aware of are:

Silverstone SFX 450
Silverstone SFX-L 500
Silverstone SFX 600

Corsair announced the SF600 and Silverstone announced a SFX-L 700
Both have been delayed and I'm waiting on reviews to see which one is good. Corsair's OEM is Seasonic and I've never had an issues with my X850.

Of the 3 Silverstone's on the market, the SFX-L 500 reviews seem to be the best; most likely due to increased sizing so they don't have to cram so many things OR cut corners with cheaper components.. The other issue is pricing. I don't think Silverstone realizes how much we're willing to pay for a premium, quality, top-of-the-line SFX PSU at high wattage. I've been totally wanting an ITX build but it's still a relatively new market and I think it will take time to get quality stuff out the door~

If there are any other SFX/SFX-L options out there please do let me know!

Depends on where you are located but Scythe, Sirfa, Sharkoon, Chieftec and some more lesser-known brands have one or more SFX(-L) units. Silverstone has them available worldwide though.

A quick google should help you find answers.

Depends on where you are located but Scythe, Sirfa, Sharkoon, Chieftec and some more lesser-known brands have one or more SFX(-L) units. Silverstone has them available worldwide though.

I may be mistaken but I think you guys misunderstood my "another", I was asking if the blowing up was common, not if sfx psu are common

Last edited:
TL;DR - Sparkle Power FSP400-60GHS PSU is cheap and good even under load; the Scythe Kabuto II is a great cpu heatsink that lets you use the HD cage.

Given the current subject of power supplies I thought I might put in a plug (yes!) for the PSU I have - which doesn't seem to get much coverage anywhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...13&cm_re=sparkle_power-_-17-103-113-_-Product

Sparkle Power FSP400-60GHS 400W SFX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM... and only $39!!

For better or for worse I decided to save my money in the power supply area seeing as, at the time, I didn't plan on having a high wattage system and this is clearly still an FSP oem power supply (see this handy guide for OEM info):

-NCASE M1 (obvs) v4
-Asus Z97I-PLUS + i5-4690S (65W TDP) + Scythe Kabuto II (<- BUY THIS!!!)
-16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 2400
-Leftover M2 SSD TS128GMTS800 (which works great on the Asus Z97I-PLUS!)
-2x WD Green 2TB

.. but then a wild EVGA GTX770 (w/ACX) appeared (deal from friend)... and this is a ~230W card...

I wanted to know more about the Sparkle Power (FSP) 400W PSU before I threw ~400W at it, so I emailed Sparkle Power who, quite amazingly, sent me the original spec document and super-handy wiring diagram that shows me which cable/plugs were connected to which rail (2x12v rails). Kudos to Sparkle Power! This gave me the confidence to proceed, knowing that I'd probably only be *slightly* overloading the 12v rails.

My testing showed that the two 12v rails were bridged, although I ended up using a combination of adapter cables to balance everything 'evenly' between the 12V rails anyway just to be safe and to avoid excess heat/risk from current on cables.

And so the Sparkle Power FSP400-60GHS PSU works fantastically! Even with a consistent draw (from the wall) of ~360W under stress testing (Furmark). My super scientific temperature measurement method(tm) of holding my hand over the exhaust-side of the PSU told me that it wasn't getting particularly hot after ~45mins @ 360W - probably due to the fan....

Fan noise is a thing, but from the reviews of all the other SFX PSU's out there it seems there's no getting away from it (that doesn't involve power supply surgery and taking great care with CFM/static pressure). This one isn't all that bad, the fan has a tiny bit of a buzz, I can't really tell if it's spinning up as the load goes up because the EVGA drowns it out.

It should be said that in all my stress testing the GTX770 gets hot and loud, but it doesn't ever struggle with the heat. The fans haven't been above 82% in stress testing. This may be in part due to my ghetto ducting method: taking two old 120mm case fans, gutting the fans, motors, everything out of them which leaves me with two 25mm x 120mm circular ducts - then using a couple of 120mm rubber gaskets/spacers plus the NCASE 120mm fan filters to fit them snug between the EVGA fans and the bottom case intake holes.

Lastly, my Scythe Kabuto II is barely batting an eyelid at all this radiating heat, probably due to the way that it intakes cold air through the side of the case. With the combination of fan profile and low-noise adapter the Noctua NF-F12 I have on it never runs above 1100rpm under full load (only 65W TDP) keeping the CPU under 55C - ambient temp is about 20C.

The Noctua NH-C14 seems to be the go-to heatsink for many - which I think is because it's the best performing, but it will prevent use of the HD cage. If you need (or foresee a need) to use your HD cage - The Scythe Kabuto II will definitely do the job, provided it fits, and it is half the price..

Hope that was useful!

Last edited:
So I managed to fit a Corsair HG10 N980 and H75 with my H75 on my cpu. One fan each though.

It took a while to figure out orientation of the tubing and such as well as how to get 2 radiators and 2 fans onto 2 total fan headers. But it works.

I went from 83C (thermal throttled) on my reference 980ti to about 65C. Again, this is a single 120mm rad with one low noise fan. The only thing making noise on load is my psu now.

Last edited:
Chiming in to say I'm excited to have a V5 on order.

Planning on an x99 build for a Hackintosh workstation:

CPU: 5820K
MOBO: ASRock x99 ITX
RAM: 32gb ECC
SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe + 2x 512gb 850 Evo
GPU: 980 Ti
PSU: Silverstone 600 SFX

980 Ti is for 3440 gaming after-hours :D

Struggling a bit on cooler choices. Top priority is quiet--I know silence is a bit much to ask for with such a small case with hungry components. That said, would like some room for modest overclocks on both the CPU and GPU.

It seems csd and a few others have had good air-cooling results with Noctua's C14 and the Arctic Accelero GPU cooler. Haven't seen many people go for the 2x 120 AIO watercooling with EVGA's Hybrid series and something like Corsair's H75.

Aside from noise/overclocking, my only lament for a pure air-cooled setup would be the loss of 3.5" (or 2x 2.5") drive mount on the case floor.

Any suggestions or input on the noise and performance of air vs AIO water cooling in this scenario? Would aftermarket fans help improve the noise profile while keeping temps down?

Last edited:
Chiming in to say I'm excited to have a V5 on order.

Planning on an x99 build for a Hackintosh workstation:

CPU: 5820K
MOBO: ASRock x99 ITX
RAM: 32gb ECC
SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe + 2x 512gb 850 Evo
GPU: 980 Ti
PSU: Silverstone 600 SFX

980 Ti is for 3440 gaming after-hours :D

Struggling a bit on cooler choices. Top priority is quiet--I know silence is a bit much to ask for with such a small case with hungry components. That said, would like some room for modest overclocks on both the CPU and GPU.

It seems csd and a few others have had good air-cooling results with Noctua's C14 and the Arctic Accelero GPU cooler. Haven't seen many people go for the 2x 120 AIO watercooling with EVGA's Hybrid series and something like Corsair's H75.

Aside from noise/overclocking, my only lament for a pure air-cooled setup would be the loss of 3.5" (or 2x 2.5") drive mount on the case floor.

Any suggestions or input on the noise and performance of air vs AIO water cooling in this scenario? Would aftermarket fans help improve the noise profile while keeping temps down?

I have a substantially similar build and just posted that I got two AIOs to work :D

Temps aren't amazing compared to custom liquid or a large open case, but they're much better than running a blower on the 980ti. And with the limited cpu cooler compatibility with narrow ilm combined with the small case, an AIO for the cpu makes sense.

It is a bit tricky to get two AIOs to fit though.

The main noise producing element is the psu and the fans, which I'm replacing.

U9CMhml.jpg

5xQCDCz.jpg

15340 in Firestrike with only a moderate GPU overclock of 1200mhz base.

I'm gonna be getting a 80mm fan to exhaust some of that heat out the back.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Also waiting for the V5 to ship (D-62 !), I was planning out my build.

As I'm moving out of a sg08 to the M1 I plan on using my current nh-l12 in the M1, and was wondering if it would fit, and if it would be sufficient for decent cooling. In particular, I was planning on using it as the sole active intake (with the GPU), as other have done with the bigger c14.

My aim is to build the quietest build as possible when iddle/under low load, while still being able to game and crunch data (where noise can ramp up as I game with headphones or run SAS when I'm out and about).

So, do you think just having the nh-l12 and the GPU (when it runs) as intakes, and the rest as passive exhaust would be possible, or will cause case temp to rise too much ?

My current (proposed) build is as follows:

• Case: Ncase M1 (of course !)
  • CPU*: I7-6700k
  • GPU*: GTX 970 Msi TF (which has 0 RPM when idle)
  • PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG (maybe SX700 if it gets out before January)
  • Mobo: Asus z170i Pro Gaming
  • RAM: 2*8GB DDR4 Corsaire LPX
  • Drive*: 1To+500gb 840 evo

*already owned

I do have a couple of NF-A15 Pwm (140mm) and NF-B9 (92mm) fans laying around, but I would like to minimize noise sources.

So what do you think, is the plan viable ? If not, what kind of airflow combination would you suggest to keep noise level at a minimum? Do you think using the PSU as an active exhaust is a good idea (or taking in hot case air will just ramp up the fan and the noise) ?
Should I shell out for the extra 80&#8364; that the c14s cost here in France?

Any advice would be welcome :)

Finally got some pictures of my completed build.

For the entire album, click here ( http://imgur.com/a/y3ePz )

Here's a few of the snaps:

XzTzeval.jpg

Ou7HHztl.jpg

tsbLwacl.jpg

J2EIhYzl.jpg

For the entire album, click here ( http://imgur.com/a/y3ePz )

Case: NCASE M1 v4
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi
CPU: intel i5 6600K @4400MHz
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz
PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG 500W
Graphics: Asus GTX960 Strix
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 (with only the top 140mm fan)
Case fan: Noctua P12
[wired up ready for another SSD in the front at some point]

Last edited:
I gotta agree. Hope you don't mine me stealing some ideas :p I just think black SATA cables would finish it off even better

Pharnos,

I didn't think cable management was possible in the M1, but you have proven me wrong. Nice work!

WOW those Silverstone cables are amazing!
I'm using the Bitfenix Alchemy cables in my Lian Li PC-v650 but I gotta check these out for my v4 when parts arrive!

Do you think the 300 or 500 cm is best for getting to the hard drive bay? I have (2) 3.5" HDD and (1) SSD on front panel.

Thanks!

Last edited:
With cables that slim, they're going to be scraping the very bottom end of the SATA cable specifications (if not breaking them entirely). VERY prone to interference, crosstalk, etc. If they're just looping through a case far away from everything they;re probably just fine, but running close to conductive case walls or RF emitters (e.g. the PSU, GPU VRMs, a HDD, etc) will probably lead to Bad Things.

Awwww.. that's unfortunate to hear.
I did a little more poking and did see some poor reviews as well.

Same for their power cables... it's unfortunate the solution is there but the execution was not good.

I had those Silverstone Slim SATA cables and one of mine stopped working. That's the only cable i've ever had fail on me.

I was going through my V1, V2, V3 accessories and noticed the 2.5 HD brackets have changed to allow for a closer fit on the V2 & V3 and also the brackets are no longer countersunk. Are we suppose to use non-countersunk screws on the newer revisions?

So I'm pretty set on this being my next case (v5).

There's just no alternatives sadly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zfvjTW

Been adjusting this build as new things come out.

Just need recommendations on cable sets, PSU cables, etc to make cable management feasible.

Also CPU Coolers. Going for quiet. Is Air really quieter than a closed loop system? I probably won't be overclocking much if at all.

So I'm pretty set on this being my next case (v5).

There's just no alternatives sadly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zfvjTW

Been adjusting this build as new things come out.

Just need recommendations on cable sets, PSU cables, etc to make cable management feasible.

Also CPU Coolers. Going for quiet. Is Air really quieter than a closed loop system? I probably won't be overclocking much if at all.

Well first off, which PSU are you looking at? I'd recommend getting an SFX-L PSU for lower noise levels and the V5 has the newer PSU bracket for better clearance.

Yes, air is in general quieter at idle. Air cooling is also more than enough for a simple i5.
If you want quiet CLC cooling, you can probably get one with an adjustable pump, but most CLC's will drown out the sound of your other components at idle.

Given the prices of RAM, no one would fault you for choosing 1x 16 GB for the time being, but that's up to you.

I don't know anything about the Acer XB271HU, but considering the quality control issues on the old Predator, I'd stick to the ROG Swift PG279Q at least until you see some reviews.

I have a real issue with that SSD though. Not only is it super overpriced for the capacity you get, it's also way overkill for 99% of users.
I'm biased, of course, as I already own regular old SATA SSD's and am satisfied, but still.
If you have to go for a fast M.2 drive, I'd get the 128 GB SM951 and a 2 TB HDD. At least downgrade to the 256 GB 950 PRO and a 1 TB HDD.

It's just so much money out the window and trust me, they'll cost half as much in 1½ year. I bought my first SSD, a 64 GB M4, in May 2011 for 700 DKK,
my second SSD, a 128 GB M4, in November 2012 for 700 DKK and a 120 GB M500 for my dad in March 2014 for 400 DKK. Price halved every time. New tech, man, it just drops in price so quickly.

I wouldn't buy an M.2-SSD. Or at least only get the the smallest SM951 as suggested by XelNika. M.2-SSDs are a lot faster than SATA-SSDs, but as average user you won't notice the speed increase - unless you are constantly moving huge chunks of data, which in a case like the M1 without active cooling for the M.2-slot would quickly force the SSD to throttle.

Assuming that you are a more or less average user you won't gain anything from an M.2-SSD and you shouldn't spend that much money on that item. I would rather spend on large SATA-SSD if you need that space for games. Otherwise spend your money elsewhere. With the M.2-SSD out of the way, you also probably find other options for the mainboard (you don't seem to be that happy with your current choice).

I could say the same about the RAM: 32GB are overkill for an average user, and that won't change in the next three or four years. So if you aren't a poweruser in the media creation department, you probably want to consider a 16GB kit and save a lot of money.

As for the cooler: If you are considering an 120mm AiO-cooler, I don't see why you shouldn't go for a 240mm AiO-cooler instead. That's what the M1 was designed for. Is it because you are still using 3.5''-HDDs? In that case take some of the money you have just saved and spend it on a 2.5''-HDD.

I assume that you want to overclock. That's why you have picked that mainboard and a K-rated CPU, right? In the case I would go with a 240mm AiO-cooler. Yes, it is a bit louder in idle due to the pump, but you will need that extra cooling power for overclocking.

Personally I wouldn't overclock in the M1, especially not with GTX 980 Ti inside the case. Yes, it works. Many people do it. And there are some power supplies with enough power to do that. But just because you can do it doesn't mean that it is a good idea. I would rather pick the non-K Core i5 6600 and tweak the setup for less power drain and lower temperatures.

Assuming that you are a more or less average user you won't gain anything from an M.2-SSD and you shouldn't spend that much money on that item. I would rather spend on large SATA-SSD if you need that space for games.

So if you aren't a poweruser in the media creation department, you probably want to consider a 16GB kit and save a lot of money.

I assume that you want to overclock.

Yeah, just to put it into perspective, the 512 GB M.2 SSD costs as much as a 1 TB 850 EVO. Double the space and still insane speeds compared to people using HDD's.

I don't agree about a 16 GB kit. I'd either go 1x 16 GB or 2x 16 GB.
8 GB sticks are going to be difficult to sell in 5 years if you need an upgrade and you have to replace them with two new sticks since we're using mITX.
1x 16 GB allows an upgrade at a later time, 32 GB will either have you set for DDR4 lifetime or be easy to resell to ATX users.

He specifically said he isn't planning on overclocking much.

Back