NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I'm really not a fan of the enormous PCB trend with GPU's recently.

Asus is the greatest offender, imo.

I understand more PCB = more components can fit = potentially better OC, but that think is MASSIVE.

Today I received my V4 accessories but I didn't receive the "M1 V4 Plastic Clips". I received the initial shipping update for it but it wasn't there on last weeks shipping "miscommunication" update.

Thanks Necere my order is sent and I'll get it on the weekend.

I should update with a build log and pictures.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£256.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.79 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£154.54 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£81.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£130.79 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (£569.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£102.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (£8.54 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (£8.54 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Dell P2715Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£457.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: NCASE M1 Version 4 (£172.08)
Total: £1989.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 07:57 BST+0100

Today I received my V4 accessories but I didn't receive the "M1 V4 Plastic Clips". I received the initial shipping update for it but it wasn't there on last weeks shipping "miscommunication" update.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing, but I haven't received my accessories yet to confirm. I'm guessing my clips won't be there either.

In the past, W360 has been shipping the clips and small accessories from the US, separately from the cases themselves which ship direct from Taiwan.

Didn't get my clips either. I guess they will come later, as a 3 gram shipment or something. :p

Well that was easy. I do apologize for not checking that myself. Lesson learned. Many Thanks!

Like previously stated, the tridentX fits fine with the C14. It's also pretty easy to pop off the top of the cooling fin if you wish to attach another fan to the bottom of the cpu cooler. ddr3 doesn't really need that much cooling anyway.

I am going to get accelero xtreme iv (because in Finland I cannot get xtreme iii anywhere) for my gtx 980 and then have fans at bottom of the case cooling it/exhausting out of the case.

Does xtreme iv come with ram/mosftet heatsinks or do I need to buy them seperately and if I do would these be good for the job?
http://www.aquatuning.us/air-coolin...uminium-heatsinks-15x15mm-black-10-pcs?c=6633

And do I need insulation tape or extra mounting hardware to mount the cooler and seperate small heatsinks for mosfets or am I going to be fine without?

Last edited:
I am going to get accelero xtreme iv (because in Finland I cannot get xtreme iii anywhere) for my gtx 980 and then have fans at bottom of the case cooling it/exhausting out of the case.

Another option that was tried many, many posts ago is the Alpenfohn Peter 2. I purchased one from the UK and plan to mount it on my 970 this weekend (wife permitting). It comes with a large number of small heatsinks for the VRM and memory chips. Like you, I will have two 120 mm fans on the bottom set to exhaust the air out of the case. I will have the fans powered and controlled by the 970's fan controller.

I found the post by Curiositie. He includes a large photo of the Alpenfohn Peter 2 attached to his 750ti in the post. Oops, looks like I might have missed the part about there only being room for slim 20 mm fans. Darn. Oh well, it might help those who want to use an ATX powersupply, as Necere noted a few posts later. Now I need to find some thin 20 mm fans.

Last edited:
I am at a loss right now and cannot track down my problem.

I have a 4790k @ 4.4 GHz with 1.20 voltage and while during Prime95 I am hitting 75-85 (sometimes spiking 90C) Celsius with a Corsair h100i (doing push with 2 Noctua F12). I do not see a single kink in the tubing and I have reseated the CPU block atleast 3 times. I am also idling around 35-38 degrees Celsius (fans are only working at around 800 RPM).

Is this normal?

What temps are people hitting on their H100i's? I just cannot figure out what is going on... What are people getting with a large heatsink setup instead? I may get rid of the h100i and move towards a CPU heatsink instead...

Last edited:
Yep!
The Peter II only allows fans up to 20mm thick under it, but you could theoretically fit another 15mm fan between the cooler and PCB if components don't get in the way. :)

Here's some better pictures of the heatsink on my 750ti, and one in the Ncase.

a3MUVCj.jpg

SF7kqH4.jpg

7gmi6Dc.jpg

ZaLRDYL.jpg

That's a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex under the Peter II.

(Also if anyone is interested in buying the peter II + heatsinks, but no fan bracket PM me)

I am at a loss right now and cannot track down my problem.

I have a 4790k @ 4.4 GHz with 1.20 voltage and while during Prime95 I am hitting 75-85 (sometimes spiking 90C) Celsius with a Corsair h100i (doing push with 2 Noctua F12). I do not see a single kink in the tubing and I have reseated the CPU block atleast 3 times. I am also idling around 35-38 degrees Celsius (fans are only working at around 800 RPM).

Is this normal?

What temps are people hitting on their H100i's? I just cannot figure out what is going on... What are people getting with a large heatsink setup instead? I may get rid of the h100i and move towards a CPU heatsink instead...

What are you using to measure temps? I've found hwinfo64 to be very accurate. I had a 4690k clocked at 4.8 idling around 40C and loads up to 80C at 1.33v. I've since lowered it to 4.6 and loads up to 70C at 1.23. My noctua nf12 pwm fans stay at around 1100rpm under full load with my fan profile however i haven't had time but I have set them to 900rpm and temps stayed the same.

I would change the fans to pull because it will keep the reds dust free better but your temps are abnormally high under load. I can't give you advice but those are my temps with the h100i

Does xtreme iv come with ram/mosftet heatsinks or do I need to buy them seperately and if I do would these be good for the job?
http://www.aquatuning.us/air-coolin...uminium-heatsinks-15x15mm-black-10-pcs?c=6633
From the website from Arctic:

xAccelero_Xtreme_IV_T06.jpg.pagespeed.ic.r7HiUYjiqa.jpg

Nothing except the huge back heatsink that didn't fit on my build, it will most likely hit something (CPU heatsink, PSU).

So with that kit you may want to look at extra heatsinks for atleast the VRMs. I don't know if the memory also needs heatsinks, the ones on my R9 290X sure don't seem to mind not having any.

And do I need insulation tape or extra mounting hardware to mount the cooler and seperate small heatsinks for mosfets or am I going to be fine without?
You must pay attention to the height. I used the "Gelid 290 VRM kit" and it fit well:

8Z8nyS3.png

The heatsinks had a thermal adhesive applied to them.

What are you using to measure temps? I've found hwinfo64 to be very accurate. I had a 4690k clocked at 4.8 idling around 40C and loads up to 80C at 1.33v. I've since lowered it to 4.6 and loads up to 70C at 1.23. My noctua nf12 pwm fans stay at around 1100rpm under full load with my fan profile however i haven't had time but I have set them to 900rpm and temps stayed the same.

I would change the fans to pull because it will keep the reds dust free better but your temps are abnormally high under load. I can't give you advice but those are my temps with the h100i

I was using CoreTemp to measure.

Hi all!

Recently built a system in the Ncase and since it's right beside me, the stock intel CPU cooler is driving me insane.

What are some quiet air coolers that you guys would recommend?

thank you

What are some of the best CPU air coolers for a 4790k that I can replace my Corsair h100i with? I think I am just going to give up on trying to use the h100i as I cannot get great load temps. Which begs the question still, what are people getting temp-wise on a 4690k or 4790k using an air cooler under Prime95 load?

If you're willing to try again, I know I had issues installing an H80i on a Z97 ATX board because the capacitors near the socket were getting in the way. I managed to get a half-decent seat after orienting the block a certain way and pushing it away from the caps while I tightened the screws.

Of course, your issue might be entirely different, but just in case.

So... I was using the new Prime95 that looks to be eating Haswell processors alive (according to a lot of places online). I switched to the Prime95 26.6 version that everyone says to run and I am at a cool & crisp 55-60 degrees Celsius.

Does anyone know if the Dark Rock TF fits in? It is 130.8mm tall and the compatibility says 130mm.

Does anyone know if the Dark Rock TF fits in? It is 130.8mm tall and the compatibility says 130mm.
Here's a build with the Dark Rock TF. That's not the ideal orientation for the cooler - the heatpipes work less efficiently against gravity, and he mentions they contact the backplate - but it does fit. Orienting the heatpipes towards the front or rear would be better, but like the NH-C14 it might prevent the bottom fan from being used.

Here's a build with the Dark Rock TF. That's not the ideal orientation for the cooler - the heatpipes work less efficiently against gravity, and he mentions they contact the backplate - but it does fit. Orienting the heatpipes towards the front or rear would be better, but like the NH-C14 it might prevent the bottom fan from being used.

OK thanks. In your opinion what is the best air cooler that you can fit in the NCase? Seems to be a toss up between the Dark Rock TF and the NH-C14 with the TF looking nicer.

OK thanks. In your opinion what is the best air cooler that you can fit in the NCase? Seems to be a toss up between the Dark Rock TF and the NH-C14 with the TF looking nicer.
Best is subjective, and depends on the rest of your setup, like what motherboard you want to use, where you have fans mounted, and whether you want to use the 3.5" HDD cage or not. Personally, I like a quiet system and don't care much what the CPU temperatures are as long as they're not too high, so the NH-U9S is probably what I'd go with. It stays within the CPU socket footprint, maximizing motherboard compatibility and making it easier to work around. If you just want the biggest, highest performance cooler, the NH-C14 or Dark Rock TF are the obvious choices.

Best is subjective, and depends on the rest of your setup, like what motherboard you want to use, where you have fans mounted, and whether you want to use the 3.5" HDD cage or not. Personally, I like a quiet system and don't care much what the CPU temperatures are as long as they're not too high, so the NH-U9S is probably what I'd go with. It stays within the CPU socket footprint, maximizing motherboard compatibility and making it easier to work around. If you just want the biggest, highest performance cooler, the NH-C14 or Dark Rock TF are the obvious choices.

Well I'm looking at having it as quiet as possible while managing a 4.4 Ghz OC'd 4690k. I have no drives in it as I'm using a M.2 SSD so I'm not that bothered about that. The H100 I ahve ATM is an OEM one that has no pump control at all. Would it be worth just getting a slightly more different AIO cooler?

Well I'm looking at having it as quiet as possible while managing a 4.4 Ghz OC'd 4690k. I have no drives in it as I'm using a M.2 SSD so I'm not that bothered about that. The H100 I ahve ATM is an OEM one that has no pump control at all. Would it be worth just getting a slightly more different AIO cooler?
Yeah if you're going with an AIO I'd definitely recommend getting one with PWM pump control. Pumps can be quite loud at full speed, and running them at half or even a quarter speed doesn't have much of an effect on performance.

Will the MSI 970 cards fit into this case? The Zotac Extreme Core Edition seems that it will. Not sure which one is quieter.

Has anyone got any results from using a bottom mount radiator vs sidemount?

Long time follower of this thread, finally received my v4 the other week and felt like chipping in. Currently using this build until the skylake itx boards start releasing.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Silverstone Tundra TD02-LITE
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77I
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Samsung 830 256GB 2.5" SSD + Western Digital Blue 500GB 2.5" HDD
Video Card: EVGA GTX960 ACX2.0+ SSC - with backplate
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W SFX-L
Case Fan: 2 Corsair Air Series SP120 Quite PWM
Monitor: 2x Dell U2414H

CPU, Motherboard, RAM
Simply reused from a old itx system running in a prodigy.

Storage
Again SSD reused, HDD spare and mounted in drive bay as a steam drive.

EVGA GTX 960
Not much to say, fits easily, silient and at about 40 when idle or under low load.Gets up to 70 under load and the fans can be heard. Will probably replace with a blower style card at some point.

500W SFX-L
Was expecting issues but fit in without to many problems, does slightly push the GPU down but nothing much more than the card would drop anyway. Main point to take away would be spending time bending the cables first and not being afraid of a bit of force when installing the GPU. Would fix easier without the back plate but I don't like the idea of cables pushing directly against the back of the card. As for the "chirping" noise its barely noticeable for me at least.

Corsair Fans
Really impressed with these, was going to reuse some old noctuas but though id give these a try for the looks, considering there only running 700rpm most of the time temps seem good and they are inaudible, highest ive had them under load was 900rpm and still no noise. Probably not the best for the volume of air they move but are silent.

Silverstone Tundra TD02-LITE
Only just released and read good reviews on performance, managed to pick one up new for £50 so thought id give it a try. Overall pretty impressed with the unit. Fans included are like jets so avoid! Considering the Corsair fans are running at the bottom end performance seems good, idles mid-low 30's and hits low 40's under load with the fans still running quite low. For the money cant really go wrong with the performance. Only down side is the pump noise, its the only audible part of the system and is a fairly distinctive buzzing although not annoying it is noticeable.

Its getting enough air to cool the delidded 4790k. At 100% load ity around 55-60 celsius. Room temp is 24 celsius.

Hey guys.

Bennmeaning to ask this. Those of you that have a GTX 980 Ti, whick model do you have?
Benn looking at the palit jetstream since it the cheapest available right now and with two huge fans will produce great temps. Don't know if it will fit.

Hey guys.

Bennmeaning to ask this. Those of you that have a GTX 980 Ti, whick model do you have?
Benn looking at the palit jetstream since it the cheapest available right now and with two huge fans will produce great temps. Don't know if it will fit.

p02499_bigimage_101557a320f1f1a9.jpg

At least the cable won't be the problem.

p02499_bigimage_101557a320f1f1a9.jpg

At least the cable won't be the problem.

I'm aactually thinking about the lenght and how it might interfere with the front panel on the M1. Width wyse we might be able to pull it off. But don't want to risk buying such a card and it not fitting.

Is it dangerous to put a regular HDD under a high TDP (980 ti) blower GPU? It seemed really hot.

Hey guys. I've just finished my Ncase M1 mod. Hope you like it!
Pretty well done ! Too bad the phone's camera doesn't do it justice, the ISO noise and interpolated micro-sensor make it into a blurry mess that's no sharper than pictures half the resolution.

You should resize them to about 800x600 or 1000x750, it will hide most of the ISO noise and overzealous interpolation.

Back