NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I only have the V1 case. Obviously I have not been as up to date with the rear panel… !! Theres a plug hole at the top now! and a cleaner looking grille (but with more metal than holes this time round.)

Or was that a prototype?

EDIT - excuse my excitement, that photo was from the prototype on the first post. :)

Um... What build/motherboard is this that is allowing 2 cards?
That board specifically is a low-end ECS motherboard I used during prototype testing. The first slot is x1 PCIe, second is the x16 PCIe, allowing for a soundcard and dual-slot GPU. There's a thread for these types of "in-between" mATX/mDTX motherboards here.

..you can see there is a part that is not balanced between left and right side panels . is there any suggestion to fix it ? Here I attach a photo

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/deelan_31/IMG-20150530-02044.jpg

That doesn't seem too bad at all.

In addition to what Necere suggested about adding electrical tape as padding (think stick-on felt pads were also suggested before), I just wanted to point out that panel gappage on mine seems to change a little almost every time I remove and replace the panels (sometimes it turns out perfect, other times not so much). I've noticed that the biggest contributing factor leading to uneven gaps seems to be due to which order I put them back on (still can't remember the recommended order, or even what worked best for me last time).

Also, sometimes I'm able to slightly slide and shift a panel into better alignment once it's already popped into place (not always, though).

Still really wish the M1 had sliding hooks, or something a little more secure and less figidity than the pin and plastic clips. They do the job alright, but it just doesn't seem like the most elegant solution imo (though, I do really like the pop-on front, which is solid.. just not the other 3 panels).

Still really wish the M1 had sliding hooks, or something a little more secure and less figidity than the pin and plastic clips. They do the job alright, but it just doesn't seem like the most elegant solution imo (though, I do really like the pop-on front, which is solid.. just not the other 3 panels).
Yeah, the stud+clip method isn't totally ideal. The way sliding hooks are typically done involves bending the edge over though, which would create a visual inconsistency with the front panel. I'm picky about things like that :p Alternatively, sliding studs could be used, but there's still the problem of how to secure the panels. There isn't enough room on the back of the case to have flanged panels that screw in to the back, like most cases do it. On a bigger case you could probably adjust things to make it work, but on a case this small where everything affects everything else and there's not much room to make adjustments, it really needs to be designed from the start with a specific method in mind.

Thank you for the reply! Cant believe the case is coming back in stock! :D

This rig will be my "dream rig" And will be the 1st time I will try to overclock. Not sure if it's a good idea for that a not but what coolers do you know of where people have gotten pretty good overclock on their CPU with? As I do not have the case yet, do you think it is possible to place a HD and a fan below the GPU?
Like the link here :http://imgur.com/fmqjmbq Red for HD and green for a fan. Will placing a fan so near the intake for the GPU give the GPU more air or will it give it less air as it is too near the blower style?

Here is the list of parts I am hoping to get into the case.

GPU - 980TI (Most probably a Blower style)
CPU + MOBO - 4790K + ROG IMPACT
RAM - HYPER X FURY 8GBX2
PSU - SILVERSTONE 600W
CASE - NCASE M1
COOLER - ~To be chosen~
SSD: Samsung Evo 120gb
HDD: 1/2tb WD black

Thank you!

Yeah, the stud+clip method isn't totally ideal. The way sliding hooks are typically done involves bending the edge over though, which would create a visual inconsistency with the front panel. I'm picky about things like that :p

Yeah, I prefer folded edges too :D

I could really picture the M1 using a combo of folded and straight edges in a blended manner. Have the top panel's side edges folded and overhanging the side panels, and the front panel would need to be both taller (to flush up with top's straight front edge) and wider (to meet up and cover the side panels). Securing at the back, or elsewhere, would be challenging.

Don't think it's impossible, just a complete pain in the ass I'm sure.. so I'll shut up about it :)

I've had no problem with the stud-type closure, unless I was forcing stuff in that was clearly not wanting to go in. And then I'd probably bend the panel or the hooks if it was the sliding-hook-type. But with that last one you'd also need another type of fastening to secure it, like studs or screws.

I've personally also never seen a sliding-hook case that doesn't severely scratch up after a dozen open-close operations, which I personally would hate to see happen with a case like this.

I like the studs on a case of this size. Makes for the most elegant exterior, and extremely easy access to the interior of the case. As it is now is my favourite for this case.

So this is a
Intel 5820k
Asrock X99E-ITX/AC
And a GTX980 Strix
Samsung SM951 SSD
Silverstone SX600-G

To say it's tight is an understatement...

MfwEwqy.jpg

BDXAR6w.jpg

Pictures incoming (bad photos from phone)

Last edited:
How about a sliding latch mechanism to secure the panels? You already have hardware behind the frame where the panels attach, so it wouldn't add much. It'd involve a steel/plastic slide with holes designed to fit over ball-pins in the panel, and it'd get slightly thicker in the locked position to hold the panels snug against the frame. You'd push the slide in from the back to lock the panel in (optionally securing with screws), and pull it out to unlock it. Only issue I see with it is not being able to secure the front/rear center of the side panels, and it may not work for the top panel...

So, feasible? Or no? :D

So this is a
Intel 5820k
Asrock X99E-ITX/AC
And a GTX980 Strix
Samsung SM951 SSD
Silverstone SX600-G

Nice build ! I thought the GTX 980 Strix was too large to fit in the M1 with the heatpipe sticking out of the case. What cooler is that on the CPU ? Corsair H100i GT ?

Nice build ! I thought the GTX 980 Strix was too large to fit in the M1 with the heatpipe sticking out of the case. What cooler is that on the CPU ? Corsair H100i GT ?

The NCASE spreadsheet says that the 980 Strix is confirmed to be too tall. I'm curious who's right.

It's the Corsair H100i.

The Asus Strix GTX980 DOES NOT fit in the NCASE with its cooler because of the heat pipe as mentioned above. I'm watercooling and there is 1 block (the Alphacool GPX) which retains a normal profile so it could be used.

However...

I plan on driving a 1440p ultrawide which the 980 doesn't have the grunt to do so most likely the 980 will be swapped out.

I plan on driving a 1440p ultrawide which the 980 doesn't have the grunt to do so most likely the 980 will be swapped out.

Same resolution here. Good thing the 980Ti was announced today! Titan X performance (or at least incredibly close) for 2/3 the price.

I'm note sure even a Titan X is enough... Really I think it needs dual GPU. So MARS or 990 please! :)

These are OC numbers but are also at 4K. I think 3440x1440 should run fairly well.

http://anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/17

These are OC numbers but are also at 4K. I think 3440x1440 should run fairly well.

http://anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/17

Mmmm unfortunately the 980Ti is $1000AUD at launch. That's a lot of cash.

I'm still really hoping for a dual GPU card, and with the 700w SFX-L PSU being announced the 295x2 or its successor might be an option.

Wait and see for now...

This 980Strix clocks well (1518mhz) on air so under water it may be able to compensate enough... we will see...

Mmmm unfortunately the 980Ti is $1000AUD at launch. That's a lot of cash.

I'm still really hoping for a dual GPU card, and with the 700w SFX-L PSU being announced the 295x2 or its successor might be an option.

Wait and see for now...

This 980Strix clocks well (1518mhz) on air so under water it may be able to compensate enough... we will see...

i think $1000AUD is a pleasant surprise - i expected 1200-1300. it makes it not completely unobtainable for anyone not on seven figures. and give it 3-4 months there will be ones available for 900 or less if the new AMD cards are faster than it is.

Hi wahaha360,

I've recently ordered the NCASE M1 v3; The package came in recently, and it looks great... but I'm missing all of the accessories. :( I've also posted an inquiry on the NCASE site under "About > Contact > Customer Support"; would you be able to help me?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Nevermind; family member who initially opened the box misplaced the accessories... (sigh)... false alarm.

Last edited:
So this is a
Intel 5820k
Asrock X99E-ITX/AC
And a GTX980 Strix
Samsung SM951 SSD
Silverstone SX600-G

Pictures incoming (bad photos from phone)

How funny. I just built my Ncase m1 system this weekend using many of the same components. A few differences -- I went with a gtx 970 and am doing two Corsair H55s -- one with a g10 for the video card a second for the CPU. I have everything done except the G10 + H55; the G10 will void the warranty on my 970 so I want to make sure the card works error free for week or two before I tear it down.

Even though it is an insanely tight fit (without the g10 and second h55, too!), the performance is incredible so far. The M.2 SSD is blazing fast; I had Windows 8 installed, from first boot to login, in about five minutes. Absolutely loving this machine so far.

Will the Silverstone 500W SFX-L fit? I have read that the GPU might block the modular cables of the PSU?

At the moment I got a 450W SFX-L and a 980, but as I will probably buy a 980ti I am looking at getting another 50 watts just to be safe.

Cheerios

So.. any thoughts if this one might clear the HDD cage? :p

It appears to be a few mm narrower than the C14, but over 10mm wider than the C12.. so I'm guessing no. And it seems to be 0.8mm too tall for the M1 with its stock upper fan.

And whoa, why didn't anyone show me this build before..

aVvhPZjl.jpg

Beautiful. Hmm.. make room for bigger cooler, or cram 4x 3.5" HDD for a 20TB+ M1? :eek:

Source of that image? I'd love to know what components were used...:D

Will the Silverstone 500W SFX-L fit? I have read that the GPU might block the modular cables of the PSU?

At the moment I got a 450W SFX-L and a 980, but as I will probably buy a 980ti I am looking at getting another 50 watts just to be safe.

Cheerios

I have the Silverstone 500W SFX-L and a long GPU. There's a very snug fit. The cables actually press down on the GPU, bending it ever so slightly.

Cheerios
I don't recall who took these, but there's a few pics of SFX-L fitment with a couple different cards here.

Source of that image? I'd love to know what components were used...:D
It's from Chiphell (obviously), but I can't find the exact link now. There's a few more pics in the user build gallery. You can make out most of the components used - ASUS short GPU, Akasa Viper fans, NH-C14, etc.

Corsair has just announced the "Bulldog", which is a mini-ITX barebones kit that includes the case, mobo, PSU, and CPU cooler for $399. I think that's actually a decent price, but what I'm really interested in is the Corsair SF600 SFX power supply and the H5SF liquid cooler, which will be available separately. I'm definitely keen to find out how good the Corsair SF600 is compared to the Silverstone SX600, and whether the H5SF liquid cooler is any good at all with that radical blower design. What do you guys think?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9298/corsair-unleashes-the-bulldog-diy-4k-gaming-pc

Corsair has just announced the "Bulldog", which is a mini-ITX barebones kit that includes the case, mobo, PSU, and CPU cooler for $399. I think that's actually a decent price, but what I'm really interested in is the Corsair SF600 SFX power supply and the H5SF liquid cooler, which will be available separately. I'm definitely keen to find out how good the Corsair SF600 is compared to the Silverstone SX600, and whether the H5SF liquid cooler is any good at all with that radical blower design. What do you guys think?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9298/corsair-unleashes-the-bulldog-diy-4k-gaming-pc

Please refrain to http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1863928 for further discussion :)

I don't recall who took these, but there's a few pics of SFX-L fitment with a couple different cards here.

Thanks, will have a look for myself and see!

I have the Silverstone 500W SFX-L and a long GPU. There's a very snug fit. The cables actually press down on the GPU, bending it ever so slightly.

Ok, but does it warp the PCB of the GPU alot? Are you comfortable using it like that?
I am very tempted to just get a 980ti + the 500W SFX-L and be done with it.

Thanks, will have a look for myself and see!

Ok, but does it warp the PCB of the GPU alot? Are you comfortable using it like that?
I am very tempted to just get a 980ti + the 500W SFX-L and be done with it.

No it doesn't warp the PCB at all. Atleast on my version there is like 1-2mm between the top of the card and the bottom of the cables. If you can back through my post history you can probably find the pictures I posted.

No it doesn't warp the PCB at all. Atleast on my version there is like 1-2mm between the top of the card and the bottom of the cables. If you can back through my post history you can probably find the pictures I posted.

Great, I'll get one of those then! :)

Saw the pictures, looks good, there's no window on the M1 so even if it slacks a bit it's not visible. :cool:

I can't wait for V4 to get released...I'll be able to get one finally without a ODD slot :)

I can't wait for V4 to get released...I'll be able to get one finally without a ODD slot :)

It's perhaps less economical but you can buy a silver panel set + silver non-ODD top from ncases.com. Just food for thought in case you weren't aware.

Looks like Corsair will be selling the PSU from their Bulldog case seperately. Might work in the M1?

bd-sf600.jpg

600w, and a 92mm fan. It appears the fan is actually 25mm thick and the PSU is taller and deeper because of that.

Mmm i could be in real trouble, I didnt realize the 5820k can draw so much power.

Bit-Tech tested a 5820k @ 4.3ghz and its drawing 340w. Im @ 4.4ghz currently. Fine with the 980 but a 980Ti or 390X and I think i'll be in real trouble.

Back