NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Subreddit? Why would a subreddit be necessary? Reddit is very content-driven, and I cannot see a subreddit thriving on just NCASE stuff. Eventually you will run out of M1 builds logs and things to discuss, and you'll end up with a pretty dead subreddit with the occasional self post about some improvement or other.

I think this forum is pretty sufficient.

Thanks makar1!

If its just the retaining clip i'll look into getting a pci-e extension-ribbon and use the lower position with the fans to the bottom. Do you know where I can get those power extensions?

Maybe a thing to change on the v4 necere?

Btw, why are there no subreddit for Ncases?

There are some low profile extensions on Ebay. I made some myself from standard extensions.

There's not really any reason to change the case. There are still more than enough clips to secure the side panel if you remove one, and it's very easy to remove a clip.

Did anyone try to get a Shuttle itx x79 Board in the M1 case?
I haven't heard of anyone attempting it. I think the main problem would be figuring out where to mount the PSU, since it's normally mounted up front and Shuttle boards are much longer than mini-ITX.

Some people have asked about whether video cards with integrated closed-loop liquid coolers would fit in the M1, and as part of Hardware Canucks review of the EVGA GTX 980 Hybrid they just did, they tried it and it fits:

efbJNPe.jpg

I haven't heard of anyone attempting it. I think the main problem would be figuring out where to mount the PSU, since it's normally mounted up front and Shuttle boards are much longer than mini-ITX.

Maybe if you mount the Shuttle PSU in the front. (Dont know waht the form factor is called.
But it has 200 x 82 x 53 mm.
The Board itself maybe fits with 270mm.

Hello,

I have a problem with choosing a right GPU for my M1 setup.

Currnet parts are:
NCASE M1 v2
Chieftec 500W sfx-l
Asus Z97i-plus
i5-4690K
Noctua C12P-SE14
2x 3,5" HDD in side panel cage
2x 2,5" on front panel

In plan also adding 92mm noctua on the rear.

Now i want to add a GTX 970. Question is which one to get the quietest setup??? My goal is to get silent setup in idle, under load it can be noisier

For now i figured out two configurations:

MSI GTX 970 GAMING (0 fan mode)

One of the short cards (Zotac, gigabyte mini etc) + arctic accelero iv with 2x 120mm noctuas on the bottom (exhaust or intake is also a question)

How do you think?

Last edited:
Has anyone got custom cables made by moddiy for the st45sf? If so what lengths did you get for the various cables?

It's been revealed weeks ago but it's only just available, so your shop isn't lagging far behind but you seem to have lived under a rock :p Or you may just have not cared as much as some of us do :D

Technically it's a C612 (chipset) board, which is geared towards enterprise use. It will be better in some regards but it will also be worse in others.

I live on a rock called Australia, and from the perspective of you guys on the other side of the world/hemisphere, I am therefore under the rock? :p

I guess I haven't really paid attention as I am perfectly happy with my undervolted i5. Was even looking at getting a low power version of an i5 for future builds (if only I could actually buy one here in Aus without ridiculous markup)

Shame to hear the new C14 cooler is 10mm higher. The C14 was so perfect for this case. Even if it needed trimming to fit my asrock z87eitx. Will the dark rock be similar in placement to the C14 (closer to centered above the CPU). From what I remember, the Shadow Rock was more offset to one side?

Black would really make for some great looking builds!

I said it incorrectly, I meant the mainboard (due to the server chipset) is geared towards enterprise.

2 rear USB ports, no audio, two Gbit LAN + IPMI, no official Windows 7, 8 or 10 support, 4x SATA-600 but no M.2 or SATA Express. So I'd not say it's not a big deal for many people if they need a USB sound card and need to use front USB to connect anything more than a keyboard and mouse.

Enterprise boards also have the tendency to take an extremely long time to boot, 2-3 minutes is not an exception. Also the UEFI is the classic blue-gray BIOS without mouse support. I also wouldn't call the memory cheap, that is basically useless outside of this board: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/epc61...2ab&cm_mmc=CJ-_-2617611-_-7101224-_-Skimlinks

So don't see these as an alternative to the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac because the real user experience isn't.

Good points. :)

I didn't consider the scarcity of USB ports or overclocking an issue since I personally dont usually connect more than 4 things at a time, or overclock much any more.There's a max of 5 USB3.0, and 2 USB 2.0 (2 rear, one on the board, two front + 2 front USB 2) and, assuming the board mounted USB 3.0 works normally you could plug the sound card into that one, and use the rear USB3 for whatever, run a PCI slot USB 2 thing under the GPU and use that for keyboard/ mouse, and front and rear USB 3.0 for whatever.

TIL about the long boot times of server boards, do you know why that is? I'd think you'd want a fast boot time for a server.

Not saying this is a great option, just how it could potentially work if someone was determined to use it. :p

TIL about the long boot times of server boards, do you know why that is? I'd think you'd want a fast boot time for a server.
Boot times for servers are less than important, servers reboot very rarely. They need redundancy, so not "restart quickly" but "immediate fail-over". The slow boot times are as far as I know a lot of tests and optimized for stability, not boot speed. So everything is checked before boot to ensure proper hardware basic operation.

I noticed people were curious about the hybrid fitting in the m1 ncase, and I recently made a build that used an H55 and the hybrid in it, that you can see here

I'll just post some of those pictures here as well for you guys to see. If you have any questions about it fitting, let me know. All i know, is the way I oriented it, was the ONLY way I was able to fit it into the case.

There's more pictures on the other thread I made, if you want the higher res photos and all that, go here: https://drive.google.com/folderview...40RVZXMks4TVZVLUNUQlRINWlxQndqbWs&usp=sharing

post-230329-0-82488000-1432370504.jpg

post-230329-0-36432900-1432370517.jpg

I noticed people were curious about the hybrid fitting in the m1 ncase, and I recently made a build that used an H55 and the hybrid in it, that you can see here

I'll just post some of those pictures here as well for you guys to see. If you have any questions about it fitting, let me know. All i know, is the way I oriented it, was the ONLY way I was able to fit it into the case.
Nice. First full build I've seen using a GPU with factory-integrated AIO. Cables are reasonably clean as well.

FYI you can switch the AC inlet with the model ID plate so the rad isn't pushing against connector like that. It doesn't look to be a major concern in your build, but the option is there if you want it.

Nice build! I'm thinking of doing something very similar. Do you think the H80i GT would work in place of the H55? It has a thicker rad and stiffer cables so not sure if it will fit. Still debating the 980 Hybrid vs. a Titan X. I would use the stock blower cooler for now on the Titan X. Does anyone have experience running a Titan X in the M1 with stock cooling?

Do you think the H80i GT would work in place of the H55?
People have done it with the original H80i, though not with both fans. The newer H80i GT has an even thicker rad (49mm vs. the 38mm of the old model), so it would be extremely tight, even with a single fan. Since it's so tight, and since you're limited to only one fan (reducing performance), I really recommend against it. Single fan AIOs with a rad <30mm are a better choice for the M1.

@tblake

I wouldn't recommend using a h80, but I think it's possible on the side opposite the motherboard however.

ALSO If you're considering getting a titan x, you can use the 980 hybrid kit to modify the titan x to a hybrid. It works because it's the same reference design and it's been posted before on an EVGA forum here: http://forums.evga.com/Titan-X-and-980-hybrid-cooler-official-thread-m2327117-p7.aspx

The only thing is your Titan x would have the "980 Hybrid" on the shroud, (you could paint it if you wanted to though).

@Necere

Yeah it's not too bad, but it's good to know i can do that to tidy it up a little more. Every little thing can help make it look more organized especially with the space utilized in this.

@Necere and @Greasy Bacon - thanks so much for the feedback! Sounds like the best bet for a dual AIO solution is Corsair H55 and 980 Hybrid (or Titan X with 980 Hybrid kit).

I'd be willing to try a custom water loop in my build. I have never attempted one before, but am pretty experienced with building PC's. Is anyone aware of a custom loop kit offered specifically for the M1? Barring that a really good build log that I could follow as an example? I am aware of the FrozenQ Reservoir and would use that. Would a single 240mm rad be enough for a non-OC 4790K and a Titan X? I would use Noctua NF-F12 fans. I won't get my M1 tracking number until June 1 so I have time to do some planning. Thanks for any advice!!!

Tom

UPDATE 2015-05-25: will the next M1 be V4 (with changes) or still V3?

A new high performance SFX/SFX-L should be revealed at Computex 2015 and we will make a decision after the announcement. Based on the information we have, there is no need to update M1 V3. However, until the announcement is made, specifications could change. So we will wait and see.

@tblake

I would say in some ways, the custom loop is better than the two AIO coolers.

If you're willing to go full custom loop, you'd probably benefit from it because of everything being cooled by liquid instead of the vram being cooled by the air cooler on it. However the two AIO coolers are nice because of how easy it is, as it's done as soon as it arrives at your door step and then you just plug it in. Depends on how much you're willing to invest and how much time you want to spend doing it.

I haven't messed with custom loops myself, therefore opt'd for the two AIO coolers for convenience and time.
I think it might be how much time/money you're willing to invest into it.

@Greasy Bacon

Yeah, I researched a custom loop and to do it the way I'd want would cost about $550. That's quite a premium over the $170 for the dual AIO approach. I will probably start with that and can always consider an upgrade to a full loop if temps are unsatisfactory or I want the challenge.

One question on your build - why did you configure the fans as exhausts? I would think you would want them as intakes to ensure a positive pressure design? Are you seeing any dust issues? Your build will likely be a model to mine in the near future :)

Thanks!

@Necere

Hey I took your advice and reoriented that power plug now it's a lot easier to put back the side radiator mount, thanks!

@tblake

I actually initially went with intake as well and it was fine until i started playing some games that tested this GPU. However I switched to exhaust because the radiators put out some serious heat (that would otherwise be in your case) when under higher load.

Yes you're correct, the dust would be the only factor making this flawed. However, there is a solution to this.
http://www.demcifilter.com/c220/NCASE-M1.aspx

This site sells filters for every panel side of the ncase m1, so if you went exhaust you can put a filter on every side except the exhaust part, however if you have it intake configuration, you'll only have to put filters on the two intakes. However, this solution is also not perfect, any little cracks that aren't fan filters would also be considered a possible entry point for dust, but I would assume the fan filter entry points would be where most of it is coming from.

It's up to you and how comfortable you feel with hot air always being inside your case versus dust.

I also retook some pictures and uploaded them on the linus tech tips forum here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...coolers-in-my-m1-ncase-pictures/#entry5058116

I also have some higher resolution photos on my google drive including an animation of putting the side panel back on here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...RPVm5LbGJsak8wMkp2eTQ5eGp3ai1mb3M&usp=sharing

Which might be useful because the video card I found only went into the case 1 way and it could be helpful seeing the orientation i have them to better help you fit them if you do this.

Best of luck to you!

@Greasy Bacon - thank you SO MUCH for posting the additional pics and especially the animation! That will be very helpful :) I did order an H55 and the Titan X today so now I'm commited. An EVGA rep on the Titan X/980 Hybrid Cooler thread you linked indicated they should have a Titan X version of the AIO cooler available by the end of May. Only difference will be the shroud. I'll post some pics when I am done. That probably won't be until end of June or so as I am supposed to get my M1 tracking number on June 1. Thanks again!

@tblake

Awesome, good luck dude. Glad to of helped! You'll have good temps and in a small case before you know it!

Be sure to post pics, I really want to see someone else do a build like this, honestly the only other thing that could be better are custom power supply cables to route better for the 24 pin power connector, it could be routed better, and obviously that titan x!

Last edited:
@Greasy Bacon - thanks! One last question - do you think it would be desirable and/or useful to squeeze in a Noctua NF-A9x14 in the rear case position for further exhaust or possibly as an intake? Looks like it would fit. It is something I am considering.

Tom

Last edited:
@Necere

Hey I took your advice and reoriented that power plug now it's a lot easier to put back the side radiator mount, thanks!

@tblake

I actually initially went with intake as well and it was fine until i started playing some games that tested this GPU. However I switched to exhaust because the radiators put out some serious heat (that would otherwise be in your case) when under higher load.

Yes you're correct, the dust would be the only factor making this flawed. However, there is a solution to this.
http://www.demcifilter.com/c220/NCASE-M1.aspx

This site sells filters for every panel side of the ncase m1, so if you went exhaust you can put a filter on every side except the exhaust part, however if you have it intake configuration, you'll only have to put filters on the two intakes. However, this solution is also not perfect, any little cracks that aren't fan filters would also be considered a possible entry point for dust, but I would assume the fan filter entry points would be where most of it is coming from.

It's up to you and how comfortable you feel with hot air always being inside your case versus dust.

I also retook some pictures and uploaded them on the linus tech tips forum here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...coolers-in-my-m1-ncase-pictures/#entry5058116

I also have some higher resolution photos on my google drive including an animation of putting the side panel back on here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...RPVm5LbGJsak8wMkp2eTQ5eGp3ai1mb3M&usp=sharing

Which might be useful because the video card I found only went into the case 1 way and it could be helpful seeing the orientation i have them to better help you fit them if you do this.

Best of luck to you!

Been dying to put a liquid cooler like the one you did to cool my 4790k. I have the Noctua NH-C12PSE14 with their 3000rpm industrial fan and even than the temps go really high. Keep wondering if the H80i GT would fit, given the 49mm thickness.

Question for you: You're using the same industrial noctua fans as me but both you pumps have a 3 pin connector and the fans have a 4 pin connector (a 2000rpm model has 3 pin). How did yopu connect them to the pump connector and do they still have pwm function?

Back