NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Has anyone else experienced a lack of communication with NCase?

I was told they should have my tracking number by the 2nd, but didn't receive it, I have since emailed them twice just to make sure there wasn't a problem with my order, and haven't received a reply.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Is the SST-ST45SF-G enough for:

EVGA 780 SC
16GB RAM
(2) 4TB hard drives
(1) SSD

or is the 600 needed? I've read that the 600 is not the bestest in comparison to the quality of the 450w so.... ?

Has anyone else experienced a lack of communication with NCase?

I was told they should have my tracking number by the 2nd, but didn't receive it, I have since emailed them twice just to make sure there wasn't a problem with my order, and haven't received a reply.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I'm looking for your email now.

Most of tracking numbers have been updated on PayPal and emailed.

Either way, you should hear from me within 24 hours.

Is the SST-ST45SF-G enough for:

EVGA 780 SC
16GB RAM
(2) 4TB hard drives
(1) SSD

or is the 600 needed? I've read that the 600 is not the bestest in comparison to the quality of the 450w so.... ?

from what i hear the 600w is superior to the 450w only if youre willing to replace the fan in the 450w with the noiseblocker fan.

from what i hear the 600w is superior to the 450w only if youre willing to replace the fan in the 450w with the noiseblocker fan.

Sorry, I don't quite understand can you rephrase?

Are you saying that the 600w is quiter and that the two are only comparable when the 450w has its fan swapped?

Thanks.

You can fan swap the 450, but currently not the 600. So.. go with the 450 only if you're considering doing a fan swap, otherwise, just go for the newer 600 which is quieter than the 450 (stock fan vs stock fan). Either should be more than enough for the parts you listed.

Oh, I could have sworn that reviews pegged the newer 600 as louder (fan almost never off) as opposed to the 450 which would run cooler and thus have an idle fan more often.

Also, with regard to quality, I remember reading about subpar caps being used on the 600. Was this review for initial batches only or has the 600 been updated since it's inception?

Oh, I could have sworn that reviews pegged the newer 600 as louder (fan almost never off) as opposed to the 450 which would run cooler and thus have an idle fan more often.

Also, with regard to quality, I remember reading about subpar caps being used on the 600. Was this review for initial batches only or has the 600 been updated since it's inception?

Think you should read the reviews again.

The SX600-G has a much slower fan profile than the ST45SF-G. So at load the 600W is quieter. The thing with the idle noise is that some people have reported a chattering sound coming from the bearing which is annoying.
CpWu6sum.jpg

The SX600-G is more efficient than the ST45SF-G so the former runs cooler, not the latter.

The quality of the caps is only relevant to the longevity of the unit. Unless you are running the unit 24/7 in a badly ventilated environment, and you are expecting the unit to last longer than 5 years, then it's a red herring in the review.

Last edited:
@WiSK
Cool. I'll do a double take. My v3 should be just around the corner so I'm all in a tizzy about cramming in my ATX build into it. With your info, I'm now at:

VII Impact
SX600-G
EVGA 780SC
16GB RAM
(2) 4TB hard drives
(1) SSD

I'm most likely going to stick with the VII Impact and I'll need both 3.5" spaces so with regard to cooler, is the NH-C12P or NH-D9L better for cooling? Former will provide more air towards the mobo but recycle warm air (?), whereas the latter should be better at exhausting hot air out the rear. I plan on sticking with air cooling and am looking for the biggest or most efficient cooler that will still permit use of the hard drive cage. I am fanboy'd towards Noctua, though :)

How are the demcifilters? I saw a few posts here saying they are warped?
I'm most likely putting filters on all sides with two fans intaking upwards on the bottom. Any reasons not to?

Optical drive - any preferences from the [H] community? Never ever looked into slot loaders before~

Other than that, I think I'm pretty much set on parts. I'll be super sad to lose my Essence STX but a smaller build is the goal right now.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

@WiSK
Cool. I'll do a double take. My v3 should be just around the corner so I'm all in a tizzy about cramming in my ATX build into it. With your info, I'm now at:

VII Impact
SX600-G
EVGA 780SC
16GB RAM
(2) 4TB hard drives
(1) SSD

I'm most likely going to stick with the VII Impact and I'll need both 3.5" spaces so with regard to cooler, is the NH-C12P or NH-D9L better for cooling? Former will provide more air towards the mobo but recycle warm air (?), whereas the latter should be better at exhausting hot air out the rear. I plan on sticking with air cooling and am looking for the biggest or most efficient cooler that will still permit use of the hard drive cage. I am fanboy'd towards Noctua, though :)

I'm most likely putting filters on all sides with two fans intaking upwards on the bottom. Any reasons not to?

Optical drive - any preferences from the [H] community? Never ever looked into slot loaders before~

Other than that, I think I'm pretty much set on parts. I'll be super sad to lose my Essence STX but a smaller build is the goal right now.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Beastly system man!!

@WiSKI'll need both 3.5" spaces so with regard to cooler, is the NH-C12P or NH-D9L better for cooling? Former will provide more air towards the mobo but recycle warm air (?), whereas the latter should be better at exhausting hot air out the rear. I plan on sticking with air cooling and am looking for the biggest or most efficient cooler that will still permit use of the hard drive cage. I am fanboy'd towards Noctua, though :)

CPU cooler (Noctua): the NH-C12P is better. Some here have found the NH-D9L to be insufficient. The new NH-U9S is between these two in size and has gotten favourable reviews for a cooler its size. One post showed it with a vertical mounting to push air out the top panel. I'd get a second NF-A9 fan for it.

The Demciflex do a great job reducing dust build up on your components, but at a serious cost of reduced airflow. You will have to clean the filters regularly. I'd rather have better airflow for lower temps and just blow the dust out instead. I'm using the filters than came with the case as a compromise.

Optical drive: I have the Panasonic UJ-265, a 6X blu-ray burner.

is the NH-C12P or NH-D9L better for cooling? Former will provide more air towards the mobo but recycle warm air (?), whereas the latter should be better at exhausting hot air out the rear. I plan on sticking with air cooling and am looking for the biggest or most efficient cooler that will still permit use of the hard drive cage..

The C12 works really well for the 4790k at stock clocks (not quite sure if it's enough for any crazy OC).. I get low to mid 70's during stress testing using a Noctua A15 (def recommend replacing the stock C12 fan with a PWM fan of some sort) and A9x14 slim exhaust at the rear. Also consider the Scythe Kabuto II that Cowsgomoo and Phuncz are using, as an alternative to the C12.

After a year or so of using the DEMCiflex filters, I'm pretty happy with them. Think I've only ever cleaned them a few times during that period, but my temps haven't seemed to suffer that much from the restriction (filters were visibly dirty each time, but interior of case was clean). Somehow I managed to get dust stuck to the inside of my filtered PSU fan, though... not sure what's up with that. No warping issues yet.

UJ-265 ODD here, as well.. works nicely, but very noisy during use.

And just a suggestion.. consider getting the shorter PP05-E cable set for your SX600-G, and use the shortest cables from both that and the stock set (PP05-E also includes a slim SATA for the ODD, that the stock doesn't have). You're gonna need every last bit of space-saving you can get for the amount of parts you're using.

@smc805 - thanks :) My computer died in December so I went a little nuts on parts at the time haha. Got the 780 SC used from a friend for cheaps!

I'll probably end up with the C12 and work from there for the rest of the cooling.
My room is pretty damn dusty all the time so I'd rather be cleaning filters often~

Thanks for the suggestion on the short cable set!

Im really enjoying my M1 version 1.0 and now a friend asked me to build him a system.

I thought I would suggest using a M1, is it still available to buy direct from stock or has that batch sold out by now?

@smc805 - thanks :) My computer died in December so I went a little nuts on parts at the time haha. Got the 780 SC used from a friend for cheaps!

For sure! Bummer to hear about your old system. Not bad to go balls to the wall though.

I did sort of the same. Got super cheap components as a "challenge" to see what kind of performance I could squeeze out of every dollar, and I was just getting back into gaming.

Then I immediately realized that while it was okay for gaming, for any kind of multitasking it kind of sucked. So, what is one to do? Upgrade of course!

Im really enjoying my M1 version 1.0 and now a friend asked me to build him a system.

I thought I would suggest using a M1, is it still available to buy direct from stock or has that batch sold out by now?
Yes, they're still available to order through the website, though only black cases with ODD slot are left.

Hey guys need some advice.
So my current build is as follows
Asus Z97i-Plus
I5-4690K
Corsair 16GB LP
Silverstone SFX SX-600
Corsair H60 on CPU
512GB Samsung SSD PRO + 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
EVGA GTX 980 Reference Cooler (Love it!!)

So I'm Looking to get rid of the Corsair H60 and go custom watercooling on the CPU and GPU. Bought a crap load of stuff after doing tons of research on it. Now here's my dilemma, I ordered the following parts:

lGWsFEQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Now my issue is, of course I found out after "my tons of research" that the Pump must be higher than the reservoir at all times. Now I'm using the custom reservoir for the Ncase and the Apogee Drive II CPU waterblock and pump. How would i go about getting the coolant to the pump since the reservoir basically sits side to side with the pump and not really "above" it?? Sorry for the noob question but I'm liking this whole idea of custom cooling and really trying to move away from AIO coolers.

Now my issue is, of course I found out after "my tons of research" that the Pump must be higher than the reservoir at all times. Now I'm using the custom reservoir for the Ncase and the Apogee Drive II CPU waterblock and pump. How would i go about getting the coolant to the pump since the reservoir basically sits side to side with the pump and not really "above" it??

As for what i heard, that does not matter much as long as the res is feed directly into the inlet of the pump.

Now my issue is, of course I found out after "my tons of research" that the Pump must be higher than the reservoir at all times. Now I'm using the custom reservoir for the Ncase and the Apogee Drive II CPU waterblock and pump. How would i go about getting the coolant to the pump since the reservoir basically sits side to side with the pump and not really "above" it?? Sorry for the noob question but I'm liking this whole idea of custom cooling and really trying to move away from AIO coolers.

You probably mean it the other way around, the "the reservoir must be higher than the pump at all times". This is so that the pump can never run dry unless there's a leak. But that's not an absolute must, you'll just have to be clever about filling and bleeding the loop. Assuming you're going to be using a rear mounted external reservoir, you should be able to flip it around and orient the case with the front side down. Then your reservoir will become the highest point in your loop, where all the air will gather.

Oh I just remembered the other Noctua cooler I was considering - NH-L12

Is anyone using this with a VII Impact to confirm compatibility?
How difficult is it to plug/route cables with it?
Is there just enough space to use the 3.5" hard drive cage?

Hey Phuncz, it's been a while. I think it was your build that encouraged me to put my 4770k/780 Ti under water with the H220. But Peter rejected my RMA because of the 450w PSU. Since then the H60 was a temporarily cooler and the 780 Ti is back on a reference cooler. I don't mind the H60, it's just that the reference cooling is always loud under heavy load. My GF is playing on a X-Star 1440p at only 60hz. I find myself setting the fan curve near 75-80% around 90 degrees already to reach that FPS.

I have been looking and waiting for the Kelvin S24. Trying to find a loop to import it to the states. But I'm getting impatient and am considering the Apogee Drive II. The NCase Reservoir is still being debated.

For kicks, I did find a German seller on Amazon.com that was importing a S24 for nearly $350.00+.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00T2PSCYU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Too silly for my liking. I also follow /r/buildapcsales a lot and had a discussion with NCIXAnthony regarding Canadian stocks and US sales of the H220 and Kelvin S24. He did mention that both US and Canadian sites share the same inventory, but I still haven't seen it been in their inventory yet.

Im currently using the Kelvin S24 with an i5 4690K and 290X LCS, just to give you an idea of the challenges you might have. The fill port is inconveniently placed on the actual CPU block/pump which is quite the hassle when trying to fill the loop. The hole is really small and the pump internals kind of block the way for the liquid to run through fully. But after some fiddling I got it nearly topped off and it's been running great. Quiet enough for me with temperatures never going above 57°C for both the graphics card and processor under gaming load. I think having a reservoir in your loop would eliminate the filling problems entirely and make the S24 a good competitor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Im currently using the Kelvin S24 with an i5 4690K and 290X LCS, just to give you an idea of the challenges you might have. The fill port is inconveniently placed on the actual CPU block/pump which is quite the hassle when trying to fill the loop. The hole is really small and the pump internals kind of block the way for the liquid to run through fully. But after some fiddling I got it nearly topped off and it's been running great. Quiet enough for me with temperatures never going above 57°C for both the graphics card and processor under gaming load. I think having a reservoir in your loop would eliminate the filling problems entirely and make the S24 a good competitor.

I have a question about the kelvin and the apogee: When reading the thread it seems like the kelvin is prefered by some. Is it less noisy or what the pros and cons of both pumps?

I've got a v2 I think I'm finally ready to make a build with, but I've got some questions about heat flow. I'm sticking to air cooling, and I'm planning to use a regular ATX power supply instead of an SFX one. The problem is, I think I'm overreaching for what I want to fit in versus the cooling potential available.

Here's the relevant parts I'm looking at:
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac (LGA2011-v3)
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 (6-core, 3.5GHz- basically the server version of the i7-5930K)
Crucial 32GB (16GBx2) ECC DDR4 DIMMs
Asus GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5 (one of the short GTX970s in other words) or possibly waiting for the 970Ti
Power supply is undecided at the moment

The main issue is that heatsinks for the motherboard are very limited. It's using a Narrow ILM mount, so the only option I've really been able to look at is the Noctua NH-U9DX i4. From what I've read, it should be fine to handle the 140w Xeon, but it's not a top down cooler like what tends to be normally recommended for the Ncase. Height wise, it should just barely fit (125mm), but length wise, I have to mount it so that the fans are facing the back of the case, rather than the top, or else I'm pretty sure it'll interfere with the RAM.

So I guess my question is, what sort of cooling penalties will I be facing with this sort of setup? Am I simply asking for too much in such a small space with this heatsink configuration? Has anyone else tried to shove a six core processor and a 970 with a regular ATX PSU and air cooling into one of these before, and how did it turn out? I guess I'm just hoping to find some advice on whether this is going to be a very expensive failed experiment or not.

Yeah, I'm using a H220 right now. I had a leak on the radiator where the elbow barb is. Luckily, the liquid didn't get on any hardware. Since there aren't any replacement radiators, I had two choices: repair the radiator or buy a new solution. I winded up repairing mine by stuffing the barb in, clamping it to make sure it won't come out easy, and using JB Weld. I tested my loop running for 3 days... (Overkill, I know).

I just got my H220 back from Swiftech RMA, also due to the elbow barb leakage. The unit came back with a brand new pump that has the SATA power connector. Does anyone know if this is the MCP50X pump?

I noticed the replacement radiator's elbow barbs are fixed in place now. Swiftech must have done something similar to what you did by JB Welding the barb in place. Hopefully this decision by Swiftech will prevent the barb from leaking in the future due to excessive twisting or movement. The only downside is that I cannot reverse the orientation of the radiator anymore, and the filling port is now facing inward.

Last edited:
I've got a v2 I think I'm finally ready to make a build with, but I've got some questions about heat flow. I'm sticking to air cooling, and I'm planning to use a regular ATX power supply instead of an SFX one. The problem is, I think I'm overreaching for what I want to fit in versus the cooling potential available.

Here's the relevant parts I'm looking at:
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac (LGA2011-v3)
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 (6-core, 3.5GHz- basically the server version of the i7-5930K)
Crucial 32GB (16GBx2) ECC DDR4 DIMMs
Asus GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5 (one of the short GTX970s in other words) or possibly waiting for the 970Ti
Power supply is undecided at the moment

The main issue is that heatsinks for the motherboard are very limited. It's using a Narrow ILM mount, so the only option I've really been able to look at is the Noctua NH-U9DX i4. From what I've read, it should be fine to handle the 140w Xeon, but it's not a top down cooler like what tends to be normally recommended for the Ncase. Height wise, it should just barely fit (125mm), but length wise, I have to mount it so that the fans are facing the back of the case, rather than the top, or else I'm pretty sure it'll interfere with the RAM.

So I guess my question is, what sort of cooling penalties will I be facing with this sort of setup? Am I simply asking for too much in such a small space with this heatsink configuration? Has anyone else tried to shove a six core processor and a 970 with a regular ATX PSU and air cooling into one of these before, and how did it turn out? I guess I'm just hoping to find some advice on whether this is going to be a very expensive failed experiment or not.

The older U9B has been used by some folks. The C12P performs better, but not drastically so.

The NH-U9DX i4 is the Narrow ILM mounting equivalent of the NH-U9S which is rated for 140w TDP. As you've said that's the TDP target you are hitting, however it's useful to note the NH-U9S only comes with one fan, albeit a newer model. I bring this up because if the only thing preventing mounting vertically is the fan hitting the ram, ditch one fan, mount it vertically, then mount a slim 92mm in the back as an intake. This will be crucial as your only other intake is potentially going to be in the floor of the case. I wouldn't consider buying the newer NF-A9 until you try this first.

Your alternative is to mount both fans with the heatsink in a horizontal position, and try them in exhaust position, then try them afterwards in an intake position. The intake seems counter-intuitive but you will be bringing in fresh air through the heatsink which will likely find itself exiting the top of the case if you have an intake fan at the bottom.

I think you've got some good options to make this work well. Those considering the 5820K/5930K/5960X (!) route would be best served using an AIO, as much as it pains me to recommend them.

He either has a (rare) 3 slot microATX (also known as DTX) motherboard that has a PCIE x1 slot above the PCIE x16 slot, or he used a mPCIe to PCIe x1 adapter to provide a slot for the sound card. I thought the latter method usually resulted in mounting the sound card in the bottom position of the case.

Addendum: judging from the I/O panel ports, I'd say he has a 3 slot microATX motherboard. The GoogleDocs spreadheet (link on this thread's opening post) lists two possible ECS models, the B85H3-M9 or the H81H3-M4.

Last edited:
Errrrr doesn't that mean I can use the mpcie on the VII Impact for my essence STX?

Yes. At least one person posted photos in this thread of using an mPCIe to PCIE x1 adapter for their sound card.

You probably mean it the other way around, the "the reservoir must be higher than the pump at all times". This is so that the pump can never run dry unless there's a leak. But that's not an absolute must, you'll just have to be clever about filling and bleeding the loop. Assuming you're going to be using a rear mounted external reservoir, you should be able to flip it around and orient the case with the front side down. Then your reservoir will become the highest point in your loop, where all the air will gather.

LOL! Yup, thanks for the correction that is what i meant! As far as the reservoir it will be mounted externally on the rear so i'll definitely take your advice as far as turning the case front side down while filling it. Appreciate the help!

Humbly submitted for your consideration: Post 11361

Last edited:
So yesterday I did this exact thing, two Noctua NF-F12 fans as intake (one over the Kabuto II) and two Noctua NF-F12 fans below the Accelero IV as exhaust. I also added VRM heatsinks to my R9 290X but I can now play GTA V full-bore without the entire setup ever hitting 70°C. Fans on the bottom reach 1100rpm but I'm still very OK with the noise.

So yeah, WOW. I'm impressed with the performance I'm getting with this setup. Thanks for the advice, cowsgomoo !
The Sharkoon SFX Gold (SFX-L 500W) is also still cold after playing GTA V for an hour. Also impressive.

Air cooling FTW !

Pics of the VRM cooler in combination with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV:

EPkodZQ.png

4u8tOAm.png

8Z8nyS3.png

Today I ran a benchmark to quantify the results I got:

86F2n0r.png

These are three screenshots overlapped. The ambient temp is about 20°C. Using Unigine Valley benchmark I tested with no V-Sync after about an hour, the middle one shows with V-Sync after 5 minutes and the right one shows about a minute of idling afterwards. Much more quiet in all those stages than the previous watercooling with no meaningful differences in temperature. Mind you I don't care if my CPU is 50° or 70°C, as long as it's not close to it's maximum allowed temperature, it performs the same and it will last much longer than I'll intend to be using it.

Yes, they're still available to order through the website, though only black cases with ODD slot are left.

Any idea if silver will be back, as a case option and perhaps as panel kit?

He either has a (rare) 3 slot microATX (also known as DTX) motherboard that has a PCIE x1 slot above the PCIE x16 slot, or he used a mPCIe to PCIe x1 adapter to provide a slot for the sound card. I thought the latter method usually resulted in mounting the sound card in the bottom position of the case.

Addendum: judging from the I/O panel ports, I'd say he has a 3 slot microATX motherboard. The GoogleDocs spreadheet (link on this thread's opening post) lists two possible ECS models, the B85H3-M9 or the H81H3-M4.

Thats my M1, and indeed its a ECS H81H3-M4 together with a X-Fi Titanium HD sound card, Manli GTX970 and a 4770K.

Last edited:
The older U9B has been used by some folks. The C12P performs better, but not drastically so.

The NH-U9DX i4 is the Narrow ILM mounting equivalent of the NH-U9S which is rated for 140w TDP. As you've said that's the TDP target you are hitting, however it's useful to note the NH-U9S only comes with one fan, albeit a newer model. I bring this up because if the only thing preventing mounting vertically is the fan hitting the ram, ditch one fan, mount it vertically, then mount a slim 92mm in the back as an intake. This will be crucial as your only other intake is potentially going to be in the floor of the case. I wouldn't consider buying the newer NF-A9 until you try this first.

Your alternative is to mount both fans with the heatsink in a horizontal position, and try them in exhaust position, then try them afterwards in an intake position. The intake seems counter-intuitive but you will be bringing in fresh air through the heatsink which will likely find itself exiting the top of the case if you have an intake fan at the bottom.

I think you've got some good options to make this work well. Those considering the 5820K/5930K/5960X (!) route would be best served using an AIO, as much as it pains me to recommend them.

I'm actually starting to be curious about the NH-D9DX i4 3U instead; it seems to be identical to the NH-D9L, and has one more heatpipe compared to the regular NH-U9DX i4 (along with being a lot newer). I've been able to find a couple reviews of people running it on high wattage CPUs (including one guy running it on a 150W 8-core), and it seems to be able to keep load temps around ~60-65 C, which is totally fine with me. I'm not totally sure if it would fit though, both orientations would probably interfere with the RAM.

Or maybe I should just bite the bullet and go with a 120mm AIO watercooling solution, despite how much I'd rather use air. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Switched to water cooling MSI GTX 970 with Kraken G10 and Corsair H75. Two Nidec Gentle Typhoons set in push configuration for intake. One Noctua NF-F12 and Cougar fans cooling GPU's VRM.
Great temps

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

2.jpg

1.gif

Back