NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Sure, I assume this is what you're wanting?

*pic*

If you don't need to mount any 2.5" drives to the front side of the frame you can shift the PSU mounting hole 3.5mm forward (which is why there's a slot instead of a hole).

The survey is still open for the custom bracket to better fit SFX-L in the M1 if anyone's interested: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041460223&postcount=15800

No, but that works too. :D Thanks!
I have the sfx and bracket measurements, just needed one to figure out how they are in relation to each other. The red line is that from the "inside" of the side? or something else, and what's the "thickness" of the material (unless red is from outside) ?

I assumed you scraped the idea of the bracket, that's why I thought I'd make my own.
Found someone to do it in a smaller quantity?

Anyone have any experience with anodizing the panels? Is it possible to get as nice of a finish using powder coating?

Anyone have any experience with anodizing the panels? Is it possible to get as nice of a finish using powder coating?
Not panels but i've gotten car parts powdercoated and anodizing. I prefer the brush/machine finish better tho.

Anyone going to take the plunge and buy the Titan X?

Anyone going to take the plunge and buy the Titan X?

Probably not, but if someone would. Have they released the power requirements?
The SFX-L is 40A max and most of the high end cards (other than 980) have been more than that. What kinda psu would you go for, other than the SFX600. S12G 5/6/750? are there any other quality options out there?

Last edited:
Sounds like a smelly room:D

I am sure it would work just fine, but since the air blown into it is hotter, it would probably be worth checking out results having the PSU the other way around and the HDD cage where it is meant to go first before getting the AIO.

Also, you could always try to see how bad things get if you put the HDD on the bottom under the GPU. No harm in trying.

If all else fails - AIO;)

LOL this is what happens when you live a tropical weather.

Thanks for your reminder. It reminds me how hot the AIO can be during HC gaming.

I think I will try adding a noctua A8 on outside of PSU and push air to AIO then blow out of case.

I have the sfx and bracket measurements, just needed one to figure out how they are in relation to each other. The red line is that from the "inside" of the side? or something else, and what's the "thickness" of the material (unless red is from outside) ?

I assumed you scraped the idea of the bracket, that's why I thought I'd make my own.
Found someone to do it in a smaller quantity?

Ah, forgot about that, you'll want to add 1.07mm to both the X and Z measurements.

I'll leave the survey up for a few more weeks but if there isn't a big influx of interest I'll probably drop the project.

1.) The HDD cage will fit on the rear half of the fan bracket and aside from limiting CPU cooler height (to about 75mm with one drive) it doesn't conflict with anything (pic with two cages); 2.) The fan bracket does fit with an ATX PSU mounted.

Read somewhere that V3 brackets will be available in a couple of months, got any more info about that?

Read somewhere that V3 brackets will be available in a couple of months, got any more info about that?
Not sure where you read that, but the V3 SFX brackets won't be produced again until and unless there's another M1 production run. Lian Li requires a 1,000 unit minimum order for a small part like that by itself, which makes it unfeasible to do. If we attach it to a production run, it's no problem to make a couple hundred extra.

Not sure where you read that, but the V3 SFX brackets won't be produced again until and unless there's another M1 production run. Lian Li requires a 1,000 unit minimum order for a small part like that by itself, which makes it unfeasible to do. If we attach it to a production run, it's no problem to make a couple hundred extra.

Ok, don't remember exactly where I read it. But I do remember the post was made in Swedish, might just been the language barrier making the poster misunderstand something you or w360 told him.

The search function is your friend--found in less than 10 seconds. Just searched "nzxt", was the second or third result.

Thanks! I totally didn't think to use the search thread feature since some of the other forums I usually use don't have it =P

Ah, forgot about that, you'll want to add 1.07mm to both the X and Z measurements.

I'll leave the survey up for a few more weeks but if there isn't a big influx of interest I'll probably drop the project.
Well if it's any consolation, I just filled in the form. :)

Has anyone replaced their V1 panels with V3? How much of an improvement is it?

Just got put my M1 PC together. Was much more simple than I anticipated, as packed as it appears when it's done, I never felt all that cramped or frustrated putting it together. This case lives up to the hype.

Only issue was using the SFX-L PSU and fitting the 970 behind it, I had to bow the board a bit to get by the cables, but I was anticipating this.

Just got put my M1 PC together. Was much more simple than I anticipated, as packed as it appears when it's done, I never felt all that cramped or frustrated putting it together. This case lives up to the hype.

Only issue was using the SFX-L PSU and fitting the 970 behind it, I had to bow the board a bit to get by the cables, but I was anticipating this.

Congrats! Hopefully mine isn't much further away. I know we ordered around the same time.

Hi. So just in case anyone is wondering.

2 noctua 120mm x 25mm fans bolted on a 38mm radiator will not fit. At least if you are using a swiftech pump/cpu cooler combo.

Just wanted to inform you incase anyone of you are as dumb as me and fail at measurements and basic math. Works with one fan though so I got that going for me.

Hi. So just in case anyone is wondering.

2 noctua 120mm x 25mm fans bolted on a 38mm radiator will not fit. At least if you are using a swiftech pump/cpu cooler combo.

Just wanted to inform you incase anyone of you are as dumb as me and fail at measurements and basic math. Works with one fan though so I got that going for me.

All of the slim rad (under 38mm)+2x fan setups, including H220 I've seen seems to fit snugly. Which component inside the case is blocking the fan+radiator from being fit in?

Last edited:

All of the rad+2x fan setups, including H220 I've seen seems to fit snugly. Which component inside the case is blocking the fan+radiator from being fit in?

I would imagine the Apogee Drive II is the cpu cooler and pump combo in question? It's quite tall especially if you have 90 degree adapters (which you pretty much need).

apd2-dimensions.jpg

(source: http://www.swiftech.com/ApogeeDrive2.aspx#tab3)

I recall a hardforum member made this build log

http://translate.google.se/translat...9331-bygglogg-ncase-m1-varning-mycket-bilder/

Used an Apogee Drive II and EX240 rad (35.5mm) + 2x Noctuas (25mm) measuring 60.5mm but with the bracket attached it'll push over that thickness by a few mm. I'm assuming Locrin might be using PE240 (38mm) with the Swiftech waterblock but from the excel build log there have been some users that are able to fit that combo in.

Finally received my silver panels ^^
the case looks awesome with the front IO ports covered with black USB and audio jack rubber stoppers.

Hi, sorry for late answer guys. Didn't think anyone cared about my little rant/self ridicule.

I used the EK Waterblocks EK-CoolStream PE 240 and two 120mm x 25mm noctua fans. And yes I was using the Swiftech Apogee Drive II Incl. MCP35X Pump. The way the tubing extends makes it impossible (at least for me to fit). And now it is leaking. I might be bad at this.

What are people's experience with the Demciflex filters? I thought it was a great idea having magnetic filters, but then these don't work with aluminium. Instead there is some kind of adhesive on them... Won't the adhesive wear out? Can it be conveniently replaced when needed?

What are people's experience with the Demciflex filters? I thought it was a great idea having magnetic filters, but then these don't work with aluminium. Instead there is some kind of adhesive on them... Won't the adhesive wear out? Can it be conveniently replaced when needed?
There are adhesives strips that attach to the case, and the filters attach magnetically to those. The strips themselves aren't meant to be removed.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. :) It's not a super convenient solution, if you ever need to remove them due to different airflow configuration or so, I guess.

My experience was that the mesh itself has a bit of slack that led to the mesh getting pulled into the fan blades a bit. Nothing that would impede the fan from turning, but it does create additional noise. I never got around to swapping it so that it would go filter -> rad -> fan, that may have solved the issue over going filter -> fan -> rad

Have you ever been proud of something but ashamed at the same time? Kinda how I feel now.

I made it all fit. The 38mm radiator with the 25 mm fans. Have some pictures of my ghetto build.

http://imgur.com/a/KCatB#0

I don't think it could be any tighter. The fans are pushing on the switftech apogee pump making the motherboard bend slightly. But it boots, and it is dead quiet* idling at 40 degrees celcius. Would love some feedback both good and if you are horrified and want to tell me how ashamed I should be.

Also there is a screw stuck in one of the holes that I had to drill the head of.

*as quiet as you get with no sound dampening material.

The gpu is not watercooled (yet) and is not plugged in as of this moment just in case it starts leaking overnight. But it should be trivial adding watercooling to the gpu if I ever want to do that.

edit: Aaaaand apparently I don't have room for dust filters.

Last edited:
I see, thanks for clearing that up. :) It's not a super convenient solution, if you ever need to remove them due to different airflow configuration or so, I guess.

Their filters are relatively cheap enough (compared to the other components in your build).. just order enough to cover everything that you would potentially use as an intake, and only use what you want/need for a particular config (or maybe just request additional metal adhesive strips for moving the filters to different locations).

Right now, I have 2 on the bottom, 2 on the side panel (only needed one there), 1 on the PSU, a large one under the top panel, and a few extras as spares. Think I'm out ~$80 due to the spares, and from having originally bought Necere's design for the side panel, then later swapping those out for IreK's 1-piece design. In retrospect, that seems kinda pricey for what I'm actually using.. but I'm sure I've wasted just as much on much dumber things :eek:

Have you ever been proud of something but ashamed at the same time? Kinda how I feel now.

I made it all fit. The 38mm radiator with the 25 mm fans. Have some pictures of my ghetto build.

http://imgur.com/a/KCatB#0

I don't think it could be any tighter. The fans are pushing on the switftech apogee pump making the motherboard bend slightly. But it boots, and it is dead quiet* idling at 40 degrees celcius. Would love some feedback both good and if you are horrified and want to tell me how ashamed I should be.

Also there is a screw stuck in one of the holes that I had to drill the head of.

*as quiet as you get with no sound dampening material.

The gpu is not watercooled (yet) and is not plugged in as of this moment just in case it starts leaking overnight. But it should be trivial adding watercooling to the gpu if I ever want to do that.

I had the same radiator and pump/block combo in my M1v1 build, but with the pump rotated 90 degrees (with VLP RAM), and corsair fans. I still had similar issues with the fan pushing on the fitting and pump, but I fixed it by using a rotary tool to cut away the part of the fan chassis hitting the pump... it doesn't need to be much.

I had the same radiator and pump/block combo in my M1v1 build, but with the pump rotated 90 degrees (with VLP RAM), and corsair fans. I still had similar issues with the fan pushing on the fitting and pump, but I fixed it by using a rotary tool to cut away the part of the fan chassis hitting the pump... it doesn't need to be much.

I could do that, but the fans were kinda expensive and I don't have a tool like that anyway. It ran fine all night so I'm going leave it like it is. If it breaks I have a good reason to abandon watercooling for good. It is not for me I think. Kinda fun to "plan" and build but too much of a pain in the ass to maintain.

Here are some photos of SX500-LG with Gainward GTX 970 + Accelero Xtreme IV:

I've cut down the original VRM cooler to fit with the accelero.

Clearance:

(Sorry for potato quality.)
Real silent stuff :D
Nice one. It's good to see the Gainward is as short as I thought it would be. Might even convince me to go for an air cooled setup. :)

:D

A lot of people went with the Demciflex filters, but for quite a few reasons I instead got essentially a fan filter panel (http://www.moddiy.com/products/-Ultra-Thin-PVC-Twin-Fan-Dust-Filter-(12cm{47}14cm-Fans).html). It's stated to be 0.17mm thick, and I put that outside the fan bracket.

I could do that, but the fans were kinda expensive and I don't have a tool like that anyway. It ran fine all night so I'm going leave it like it is. If it breaks I have a good reason to abandon watercooling for good. It is not for me I think. Kinda fun to "plan" and build but too much of a pain in the ass to maintain.

Cutting the fan housing is okay, a bit DIY-intensive but definitely do-able; if you don't have the right tools, yeah don't attempt. I don't think you should abandon watercooling! The M1 is also my first watercooling attempt and the limited space and component choices certainly make it more challenging. It's well worth it and you've come a long way already!

I wouldn't feel very comfortable with the motherboard PCB being stressed by the radiator pushing on the Apogee Drive ii, so I'd probably swap out the radiator to a thinner one. It might seem like a setback but that's all it should be. By now you should be a pro at tightening the fittings right? :D

And I would also say why not get that waterblock... the fewer times you have to mess with the loop the better, as you've already experienced the fun of a leak.

My experience was that the mesh itself has a bit of slack that led to the mesh getting pulled into the fan blades a bit. Nothing that would impede the fan from turning, but it does create additional noise. I never got around to swapping it so that it would go filter -> rad -> fan, that may have solved the issue over going filter -> fan -> rad
This has been my experience as well when I used them on my aluminum Caselabs SMA8. VERY annoying. I wanted to put the filters on the inside of the panel to avoid having the ugly magnetic strip on the outside. Unfortunately the slack is an issue and the magnets are too weak to let the filter stick to the outside through the panel. I don't know if this would be possible on the M1 where the panels are a little bit thinner.

It's well worth it and you've come a long way already!

Thank you, that helps numb the pain in my fingers.

I wouldn't feel very comfortable with the motherboard PCB being stressed by the radiator pushing on the Apogee Drive ii, so I'd probably swap out the radiator to a thinner one. It might seem like a setback but that's all it should be. By now you should be a pro at tightening the fittings right? :D

Yeah not proud about that motherboard thing. I could get a thinner radiator quiet easily for cheap so I should do that. Would be nice to get the filters to fit also. But I am a very lazy person so I might just pretend everything is fine.

My fingers are scarred from the sharp edges of the case, fittings and radiator. I also always get the watercooling liquid all over my hands. And it's black so I look dirty even after scrubbing for days.

And I would also say why not get that waterblock... the fewer times you have to mess with the loop the better, as you've already experienced the fun of a leak.

Oh I will get the waterblock. It's just that they are expensive and difficult to find for the Zotac 970GTX.

Thank you, that helps numb the pain in my fingers.

My fingers are scarred from the sharp edges of the case, fittings and radiator.

Hahaha, that brings back memories of my M1 build...sore fingers for days

But I am a very lazy person so I might just pretend everything is fine.

Well, good luck but you know it's never a problem until it is a problem! :D

My fingers are scarred from the sharp edges of the case, fittings and radiator. I also always get the watercooling liquid all over my hands. And it's black so I look dirty even after scrubbing for days.

What fluid are you using? With the case/loop being so small I went for maximum minimal maintenance (heh) and did distilled water + killcoil only.

Oh I will get the waterblock. It's just that they are expensive and difficult to find for the Zotac 970GTX.

Ah. Best of luck.

Hahaha, that brings back memories of my M1 build...sore fingers for days

Some fittings are compatible with wrenches and others have tools. I don't think I would go for hand-tightening fittings unless I had a very good reason to do so!

Back