NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Would it be the mounting plate screws around the socket, or the retention screws that secure the heatsink to the bracket?

does ducting on a ref card work well? or would i be better off getting a 92mm fan for under the gpu fan? when i had everything on my desk my ref 970 was about 5-10c lower than in the case, and i understand cause its a tight fit. just wondering how i can cool it better without higher fan rpm?

What motherboard are you using? I've read that the Asrock motherboards can be thinner than others so maybe this is contributing to the amount of curvature. Regarding the over-tightening of the cooler, did you place any washers on the back of the motherboard under the cooler's backplate?

I really like the extra clearance PSU you get using the Accelero GPU cooler. Are the bottom fans blowing into the cooler or out?

Fans look like they setup as intakes. In the second photo, the frame connecting the fan motor to the frame is visible.

Short GPU with a large cooler is one way to overcome the SFX-L clearance issue. Thats pretty cool!

Fans better on a 240 RAD on panel side pulling in or on inner side of rad pulling in/out?

i have case -> rad - > fans pulling air in. easier to manage tubes and looks cleaner from the outside. push vs pull makes no dramatic difference

Yes, the fans are pulling in air at the bottom. I'll try to flip them and see how it affects temperatures. As of now GPU temps are between 50-60 while gaming. I'm using two corsair fans + this adapter. I've received my Noctua Redux fans this morning, so I'll be swapping out the Corsair fans in hope of a even more silent system.

I didn't like the cabels that came with the sx500-lg. They were quite stiff and cabel managment was no joy. Thinking of doing a custom sleeve job.

No coil whine yet, but the PSU fan started to make this small squeaky noise every now and then after a couple of hours gaming. A soft tap to the case stopped the sound.

To give you an idea of the load; I'm running the Asus Z97I-PLUS with an Intel g3258 at 4.5 Ghz, and one SSD (Crucial MX100 512 GB)

Got a SFX-LG today and jammed it into v1 with a reference 780...pretty nasty process to say the least but somehow it all fit. Cannot recommend though.

P18rKgT.jpg

kHq1awE.jpg

Boy did Silverstone pull it off this time, this power supply is amazing.

would the nh-c14 with a bottom 120mm fan fit with a maximus impact vii and crucial ballistix (normal size) ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148740

from the google doc i see
Yes, with heatpipes towards rear. Can't use bottom 140mm fan on the bottom. Can't use hard drive cage. A 120mm fan can be installed under the NH-C14 if low profile RAM is used.
so the question is whether my ram is low enough. anyone know?

Last edited:
How are your temps with the Accelero on the 970?

I've got a similar cooler on my 750ti and I'm getting 35/70C Idle/load passive right now, and was thinking of swapping to a 970.

What motherboard are you using? I've read that the Asrock motherboards can be thinner than others so maybe this is contributing to the amount of curvature. Regarding the over-tightening of the cooler, did you place any washers on the back of the motherboard under the cooler's backplate?

It is an Asrock board. I honestly can't remember if I used washers or not. I just used the included hardware and followed the instructions.

Wow, that's a crazy tight fit. I can't tell from the pic, are these leads close to the cables?

uyfg8J2.jpg

Are they tight :D Those spikes are incredible sharp and pretty much digged into those cables which is not good at all. I dont want to be electrocuted. So theres absolutely no room between the card and 24pin.

Does anyone know if theres some sort of adapter or something for v1 power supply mount?

How are your temps with the Accelero on the 970?

I've got a similar cooler on my 750ti and I'm getting 35/70C Idle/load passive right now, and was thinking of swapping to a 970.

With dual SP120L 120mm PWM fans and the standard fan settings form Gainward the idle temp is 27C, and after a couple of hours with BF4 the max is 57C.
It's pretty quiet, but not quiet enough. I can post the results after testing out the NF-S12B Redux 1200 and tweaking the settings for quiet operation.

Is there any way of getting those little panel brackets that the side & top panels snap in to?

I've broken a few off my V1 taking the panels off and trying to relocate non-essential ones to broken corners, but they just snap if I try to take them off.

Any alternate panel mounting methods?

Is there any way of getting those little panel brackets that the side & top panels snap in to?

I've broken a few off my V1 taking the panels off and trying to relocate non-essential ones to broken corners, but they just snap if I try to take them off.

Any alternate panel mounting methods?

write wahaha360 https://www.ncases.com/contact
and ask him to send you some ;)

With dual SP120L 120mm PWM fans and the standard fan settings form Gainward the idle temp is 27C, and after a couple of hours with BF4 the max is 57C.
It's pretty quiet, but not quiet enough. I can post the results after testing out the NF-S12B Redux 1200 and tweaking the settings for quiet operation.

With those temps in mind you can always alter the fan curve to allow for higher max temperatures to get a quieter build.

sx500-lg-2.jpg

It looks like the connectors (apart from the retention clips) just about reach halfway across the PSU. Does flipping the SX500-LG so the fan faces the inside allow the connectors to clear the rear edge of the GPU?

Are they tight :D Those spikes are incredible sharp and pretty much digged into those cables which is not good at all. I dont want to be electrocuted. So theres absolutely no room between the card and 24pin.

Does anyone know if theres some sort of adapter or something for v1 power supply mount?

:eek:

That's very not good, you could fry your whole rig if it shorts.

I'm working on a custom bracket, it would place the PSU like the ATX bracket except shifted up against the front so the connectors would go past the front edge of the card.

There's also someone working on a 3d printed version of the V3 bracket I believe.

:eek:

That's very not good, you could fry your whole rig if it shorts.

I'm working on a custom bracket, it would place the PSU like the ATX bracket except shifted up against the front so the connectors would go past the front edge of the card.

There's also someone working on a 3d printed version of the V3 bracket I believe.
I noticed in the poll results you have 1&2 vs 3. Is the V3 different compared to the first 2 ncases?

I noticed in the poll results you have 1&2 vs 3. Is the V3 different compared to the first 2 ncases?

The v3 SFX bracket is 2mm higher than the v1/v2 bracket for a bit more clearance.

Combined with card sag it's enough for the connectors to safely clear the card.

Edit: I suppose it doesn't matter that much, interest is interest, I'm just curious how many v3 owners are still interested even though it looks like SFX-L works with the v3 bracket (albeit with some card sag).

The v3 SFX bracket is 2mm higher than the v1/v2 bracket for a bit more clearance.

Edit: I suppose it doesn't matter that much, interest is interest, I'm just curious how many v3 owners are still interested even though it looks like SFX-L works with the v3 bracket (albeit with some card sag).

I think it is more about peace of mind than realistic issues. Even a ghetto piece of paper would sicnificantly reduce cable insualtion rubbing issues. But that bracket makes so much sense. It will future proof your case as well as being a far more elegant solution aestetically. The reason the stock sfx bracket is designed the way it is i the first place is to accomodate dual rad or 3,5" HDD. For us who is not interested in that this new bracket is, in my opinion, much better.

I have a SX600-G and I wanted to sleeve the cables and
shorten them as they're awfully long as is, I'm looking for
some recommendations for sizing if anyone could give me a
hand for the lengths to best accommodate my NCASE, I want
it to be clean and have neat runs while not having too much cable clutter. Thanks!

This is what I was thinking.
  • 24-pin CPU: 20cm
  • 8-pin CPU: 20cm
  • Dual 6+2-pin PCIe: 20cm+10cm

Edit: Motherboard is an ROG Impact VI.

Last edited:

Thanks. Looking forward to this happening.

I have a SX600-G and I wanted to sleeve the cables and
shorten them as they're awfully long as is, I'm looking for
some recommendations for sizing if anyone could give me a
hand for the lengths to best accommodate my NCASE, I want
it to be clean and have neat runs while not having too much cable clutter. Thanks!

This is what I was thinking.
  • 24-pin CPU: 20cm
  • 8-pin CPU: 20cm
  • Dual 6+2-pin PCIe: 20cm+10cm
Which motherboard?

Haha, my bad, that would help, wouldn't it? It's an Asus Impact VI.
I have the same motherboard and I custom made my cables. Well, I custom made half of them and the other half are just shortened from the silverstone flat kit. I don't know the exact lengths but it's not hard to just use a ruler yourself. Are you doing it yourself or paying someone?

Also, each cable is slightly different in my case because I wanted it neatly laid out depending on which way they need to bend. So one side might be a few millimeters longer then the other side

I have the same motherboard and I custom made my cables. Well, I custom made half of them and the other half are just shortened from the silverstone flat kit. I don't know the exact lengths but it's not hard to just use a ruler yourself. Are you doing it yourself or paying someone?

Also, each cable is slightly different in my case because I wanted it neatly laid out depending on which way they need to bend. So one side might be a few millimeters longer then the other side

I'm planning on doing them myself, just going to cut them down in length and put some nice sleeving on them, because I already find them a bit long and I don't want to stuff them behind the motherboard tray. I thought maybe asking the community may lead to some ideas, I don't want to butcher my cables and make them too short to be usable for any other builds, though I doubt I'd leave my NCASE, so I want to leave them an appropriate length, I found the community here is very good at calculating things and taking the future into account.

Last edited:

Please do, I'd be very interested. :)

The reason the stock sfx bracket is designed the way it is i the first place is to accomodate dual rad or 3,5" HDD. For us who is not interested in that this new bracket is, in my opinion, much better.

Aiboh's bracket is a very smart idea, but it still leaves us v1/v2 owners needing a v3-style bracket that doesn't block the frontward rad/fan/hdd mount shit out of luck.. at least until the current batch of v3 cases are sold and another run is started (which is still a long way off and may never happen at all).

The last few days I've noticed small puddles of coolant appearing under my Ncase. Apparently my EK FC R9 290X waterblock decided to start leaking after a year of service. I wasn't entirely happy with the Swiftech H220, having crappy fans (one was even rattling loudly under a certain angle) and the pump not being able to be quiet.

So I decided to remove the watercooling setup and focus on a good air cooling:

SoLVfi5.png

zDHo7ER.png

Tt3Heza.png

I used a Scythe Kabuto 2 (thanks cowsgomoo) with a Noctua NF-F12 fan from a NH-L12 heatsink I still had (used the Scythe fan on that one) and an Arctic Accelero Extreme IV (thx Necere) on the R9 290X with two Noctua NF-F12 fans. The Noiseblocker 80x15mm fan in my ST45SF-G is now the noisiest (read as: least quiet) part in my case...

I'll need to tweak the fan settings but I'm basically running almost the same temps as idle, except it's whisper quiet now. Oh yes and no more leaks.

*snip*

I used a Scythe Kabuto 2 (thanks cowsgomoo) with a Noctua NF-F12 fan from a NH-L12 heatsink I still had (used the Scythe fan on that one) and an Arctic Accelero Extreme IV (thx Necere) on the R9 290X with two Noctua NF-F12 fans. The Noiseblocker 80x15mm fan in my ST45SF-G is now the noisiest (read as: least quiet) part in my case...

I'll need to tweak the fan settings but I'm basically running almost the same temps as idle, except it's whisper quiet now. Oh yes and no more leaks.

Very glad to hear you got back up and running - a leak is no joke. Whisper quiet, at what rpm(s)?

I used a Scythe Kabuto 2 (thanks cowsgomoo) with a Noctua NF-F12 fan from a NH-L12 heatsink I still had (used the Scythe fan on that one) and an Arctic Accelero Extreme IV (thx Necere) on the R9 290X with two Noctua NF-F12 fans..

Very nice rebuild Phuncz.. I like it! (and can't believe I'm seeing that many fans in your case :p)

And good choice on the F12s.. really good sounding fan imo. Are the bottom two being powered/controlled by your M7i or the 290x?

The last few days I've noticed small puddles of coolant appearing under my Ncase. Apparently my EK FC R9 290X waterblock decided to start leaking after a year of service. I wasn't entirely happy with the Swiftech H220, having crappy fans (one was even rattling loudly under a certain angle) and the pump not being able to be quiet.

SoLVfi5.png

zDHo7ER.png

Tt3Heza.png

I guess this will look very similar to my setup, except I have the SX500-LG and plan to have an Accelero Twin Turbo II on a short PCB GTX 960/970. With the right cable management, it's going to look very clean I think. Good to hear that it's quiet.

So I decided to remove the watercooling setup and focus on a good air cooling

Looking good:) These accelero coolers are becoming popular. What did you do about the cooling for secondary components?

Good to hear. I have decided to do this with a short PCB 970 soon. Was about to press buy but have had to set aside quite a but of funding for rainy days, given that the Norwegian oil industry is laying off people left and right and there are houses to be kept and fridges to fill. No fun investments on this side of the summer at least:mad:

As for Noctua fans, Have anyone got first hand experience with the industrial grade fans in regard to noise level rpms for rpms. I know they are rated to be louder, but they are also rated at way higher rpms. Would a regular Noctua fan and an industrial "equivalent" at 800rpm be comparable or significantly different?

Thanks for the comments, guys !

Whisper quiet, at what rpm(s)?
I don't know, AIDA64 doesn't report fan speeds on the Maximus 7 Impact (or I've not figured it out). I'm going to try the latest Ai Suite and see if it works this time.
But at first boot the UEFI was complaining my CPU fan was running too low at 300rpm :D (treshold was 600rpm)

Very nice rebuild Phuncz.. I like it! (and can't believe I'm seeing that many fans in your case :p)
LOL indeed, 50% more fans than my previous build :p Minus the loud pump though...

Are the bottom two being powered/controlled by your M7i or the 290x?
The M7I for now. I'm thinking about putting them on the R9 290X so they are dynamically controlled, now they are CPU-temp bound.

What did you do about the cooling for secondary components?
The coolness of fresh air at the moment. I had some stick-on heatsinks but they were a millimeter too wide for the VRM's. I'm not worried about the memory chips, but I think I'll be toasting those VRM's easily this way. I'm going to look for VRM and RAM sinks, any suggestions are welcome !

Yeah I've seen those too. But something I'm wondering:

ei7qcDhl.jpg

Those chips inside the pink area, you can see 6 larger ones and 6 smaller ones. Do they all need cooling ? Because a kit of 10 of those Enzotech heatsinks won't do. Also, the VRM's in the red area also need three heatsinks. And I should also get a few kits of RAM sinks for the memory chips. But that's like $60 worth of heatsinks...

I've been eyeing the Gelid R9 290 enhancement kit which includes all the VRM sinks for $10-$20, but it's nowhere (in Europe) to be found in-stock.

SoLVfi5.png

zDHo7ER.png

Tt3Heza.png

Great setup.

How close to the intake on the panel is that fan?

Also, this build appears to have negative pressure. Report back in a while about dust would be much appreciated :D

Back