NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I've got a H75 installed in my M1. I just twisted it during installation so the tubes 'spiralled' down the the waterblock, and easily coil up in between when installed.

Watercooling a (stock) CPU will probably result in a louder overall experience because of the pump. The only real reason to go with watercooling (in the Ncase) is because you have overclocks that require >20% extra voltage and/or want to watercool the GPU.

A pump controlled via PWM?

While I didn't say "all pumps are louder", it's not easy to find an AIO watercooler that is on-par with a good similarly priced air cooler, performance and noise-wise.

Last edited:
I've got a H75 installed in my M1. I just twisted it during installation so the tubes 'spiralled' down the the waterblock, and easily coil up in between when installed.

When done this way, don't the tubes block airflow of the H75 fans?

The Arctic Accelero III looks like it's avalable in europe again, but now, when almost pressing the "buy" button on it i whent back and searched the thread for info and re-read Config 3.
Necere: You state that the system was less quiet than with stock blower at idle (fans @ 1000rpm), but how was the noise when the fans were @ 1700 rpm? I would expect that it would be better than stock, no? Also kind of depressing about the VRM temps, but given that the new 9-series nvidia cards are far less power hungry this might not be that much of an issue after all. I kind of wish I read this properly before toying with this idea for months. I'll do a google dive to see if i can find a way around this VRM issue.

The Arctic Accelero III looks like it's avalable in europe again, but now, when almost pressing the "buy" button on it i whent back and searched the thread for info and re-read Config 3.
Necere: You state that the system was less quiet than with stock blower at idle (fans @ 1000rpm), but how was the noise when the fans were @ 1700 rpm? I would expect that it would be better than stock, no? Also kind of depressing about the VRM temps, but given that the new 9-series nvidia cards are far less power hungry this might not be that much of an issue after all. I kind of wish I read this properly before toying with this idea for months. I'll do a google dive to see if i can find a way around this VRM issue.
I'm also very interested in cooling my GTX970 with this cooler. It seems like there's not much info on the VRMs and this specific cooler for the 900s series.

Necere: You state that the system was less quiet than with stock blower at idle (fans @ 1000rpm), but how was the noise when the fans were @ 1700 rpm? I would expect that it would be better than stock, no?
Prett much anything is quieter than the reference AMD blower under load, so that's not exactly a high bar.

Any fan at 1700rpm isn't really what you'd call "quiet" - especially with four of them in such a small space - but it was certainly quieter than the reference blower (under load).

Edit: That reminds me, GPU blowers would be a perfect application for Rotosub's active noise canceling tech. Anyone know anyone at AMD or nvidia? Or even EVGA...?

Last edited:
When done this way, don't the tubes block airflow of the H75 fans?
It's hard the tell from the image, but if you imagine the rim of the fan projecting a cylinder straight out from the fan, the pipes are 'wrapping around' this area.

You can check the google docs.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mJWMjZYSXJvNWNOVzJkdkJPTWc&usp=sharing#gid=10
Best air cooler so far is the Noctua NH-C14.

lulz, I didn't know the spreadsheet I created so long ago would serve so good and so long :)

Although, to be fair, the only thing I did was to create it, and post here the links. Bam, community did the rest :D :D :D

Who would have thought, V3 already...

---

BTW, what are the changes on the bracke? I haven't been following the thread recently, and I've seen people to use the V3 bracket with the V1, what for?

Oh, since I have a mini case... I also downsized my keyboard, and now it looks funny when you see the screen I'm using (29") :D :D :D :D :D

lulz, I didn't know the spreadsheet I created so long ago would serve so good and so long :)

Although, to be fair, the only thing I did was to create it, and post here the links. Bam, community did the rest :D :D :D

Who would have thought, V3 already...

---

BTW, what are the changes on the bracke? I haven't been following the thread recently, and I've seen people to use the V3 bracket with the V1, what for?

Oh, since I have a mini case... I also downsized my keyboard, and now it looks funny when you see the screen I'm using (29") :D :D :D :D :D

It mounts the PSU a few millimeters up (3mm i think) for marginally better SFX-L support. Still not ideal though.

Prett much anything is quieter than the reference AMD blower under load, so that's not exactly a high bar.

Any fan at 1700rpm isn't really what you'd call "quiet" - especially with four of them in such a small space - but it was certainly quieter than the reference blower (under load).

Edit: That reminds me, GPU blowers would be a perfect application for Rotosub's active noise canceling tech. Anyone know anyone at AMD or nvidia? Or even EVGA...?

Thanks. I konw those blowers are awefully noisy, but to be fair so is the Twin Frozr II @ Max. Even headphones ruin the gaming experience.

My build would have 3 fans though. Only one on the NH-C14 and then the two on the bottom.

Since the Accelero is compatible with so many different cards i was considering buying it for my old 580 now instead of waiting till i get a 970, but I think I'll wait.
Still think I'll try it out though. It's not that expensive. And given that the Accelero VI cools the VRM's from the top, nothing should be stopping me from getting a few smaller heatsinks to attach on the top of the card to get cooling from both sides. Hell, even an aluminum bacplate with some thermal pads could do the trick.

With the TDP of the new cards, If VRM temps can be kept in check, I would think that really good expensive fans with the proper profile (sacrificing temps for silence) could potentially give a really silent build.

Also, with the ref 970 PCB being shorter, eventhough the accelero heatsink is long could potentially give the headroom for SFX-L cable mgmt. With our without ATX bracket + SFX adapter (or custom adapter).

I'm itching to figure this one out. Need to allocate some funding towards unproductive nerd related activities soon:D

Anyone looking into this one? It's availability is good in EU as we speak and the price is "doable" :).

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Fractal_Design/Kelvin_S24/

I was looking forward to this for my M1 as well, however it seems that the pump noise is quite significant. This is the only video I could find with it running, it's in German but you can get an idea of how the pump sounds:

pump at 12v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_cx9PBaIo#t=179
pump at 9v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_cx9PBaIo#t=227

Also keep in mind that the pump was resting on a table and was not mounted in the case so results might vary.

However, if you're not interested in extending the loop, a Corsair 100i might be a better fit since it's both cheaper and the pump is quieter (the idea is that while you might be able to change the fans if you find them annoying, there is no way to change the pump in an AIO, as far as I can tell).

I was looking forward to this for my M1 as well, however it seems that the pump noise is quite significant. This is the only video I could find with it running, it's in German but you can get an idea of how the pump sounds:

pump at 12v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_cx9PBaIo#t=179
pump at 9v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_cx9PBaIo#t=227

Also keep in mind that the pump was resting on a table and was not mounted in the case so results might vary.

However, if you're not interested in extending the loop, a Corsair 100i might be a better fit since it's both cheaper and the pump is quieter (the idea is that while you might be able to change the fans if you find them annoying, there is no way to change the pump in an AIO, as far as I can tell).

That was a dealbreaker for me. I wanted to go either extended Kelvin loop or aftermarket air, but the pump noise made my decision for me.

Well, dang.. My Silverstone ST45SF-G started clicking wildly last night while playing The Forest. There was nothing sticking into the fan blades (at least from the outside) and the PSU was red hot. I gracefully shut the machine down, unplugged it and let it cool overnight. Plugged it back in this morning and turned it on and everything came up fine except the fan on the PSU did not spin. I never checked to see if this behavior is normal. Will the fan only spin up when the PSU is under load? Hoping I don't have a faulty PSU. Also hoping I didn't put too much stress on it with the 4790K and GTX 980. I do not have the side panels on so I wonder also if that has anything to do with it. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Well, dang.. My Silverstone ST45SF-G started clicking wildly last night while playing The Forest. There was nothing sticking into the fan blades (at least from the outside) and the PSU was red hot. I gracefully shut the machine down, unplugged it and let it cool overnight. Plugged it back in this morning and turned it on and everything came up fine except the fan on the PSU did not spin. I never checked to see if this behavior is normal. Will the fan only spin up when the PSU is under load? Hoping I don't have a faulty PSU. Also hoping I didn't put too much stress on it with the 4790K and GTX 980. I do not have the side panels on so I wonder also if that has anything to do with it. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

The fan in the ST45SF-G always spins, so I'm afraid you now have a faulty psu on your hands.

Sounds like fan bearing failure to me. I would be very surprised if it had anything to do with high load stress though; it's most likely just a faulty fan.

Hey I recieved a mcp50x for Christmas and planned to use it in the ncase. Other than the fact I wouldn't be able to use a full size gpu with it I was gonna use the EK full water block for the vi impact. I'm having second thoughts though that the apogee xl would be just as good. I like the look and idea of the ek block cooling everything especially with reduced airflow finding smaller and smaller gpus is becoming easier . Has anyone else tried going this way?

I will be very curious to see how you end up mounting your mcp50x. I was really hoping to use it under my 290x, but there just isn't physically enough space. The noice of my EK DCP2 bugs me a bit, even with it decoupled as much as I can fit.

The fan in the ST45SF-G always spins, so I'm afraid you now have a faulty psu on your hands.

Sounds like fan bearing failure to me. I would be very surprised if it had anything to do with high load stress though; it's most likely just a faulty fan.

Thanks, backfeed! Just processed my replacement on Amazon. Dang, that was easy! Will be posting complete build log detailing some observations, things to look out for, tips, etc. with pics on Monday when I have it all wrapped up.

I believe this is all versions of the M1. If you plan on using a graphics card, the Cryorig C1 will only fit in one orientation, which is with the overhang going over the memory slots. Unfortunately, this interferes with the SFX PSU. The only way this cooler will work in the M1 is if you use a short graphics card (e.g. 970 mini) and an ATX PSU, since the ATX bracket orientation is at the front of the case instead of the side. The one thing I'd like to see is if it is possible to securely mount the SFX PSU to the ATX bracket in the front using a couple of screws. This would solve the PSU/cooler clearance issues.

I was going to go this way to fit my Cryorig C1 by mounting SX500-LG on the ATX bracket. It does allow C1 to fit and solve the problem with the power cord orientation, but the SX500-LG still won't fit with GTX970 reference cooler (with blackplate).

With a few tweaks I finally figured out a way to fit all my components:
Asus M7I
Cryorig C1
Nvidia GeForce GTX970 Reference cooler
Silverstone SX500-LG

I decided to mount the C1 with another orientation:

i0db49I.jpg

With this orientation the C1 overhang going over the pci-e socket and it would not interfere with the SFX bracket.
Memory clearance:

QCErF7j.jpg

The closest fit is the mPCIe combo card of the M7I:

WhaXu0o.jpg

The power circuit daughter card is also a tight one:

u8F1djJ.jpg

Put everything in the M1:

4wURcpE.jpg

I sliced some of the tongue of the SFX bracket to clear the way for the power cord.
And the key to successfully fit all these: the PCI-E riser.

XXHEN9J.jpg

The PCI-E riser might be the only way I could go. It solves both of my problems. (C1 interferes with SFX power bracket and SFX-L modular PSU interferes with long graphic card with blackplate)

I think the performance of Cryorig C1 with Asus M7I in the M1 might not be optimized. As you can see that the outgoing air flow of the C1 is blocked by the power circuit daughter board of M7I (top), the PSU (right), the graphic card (bottom) and the I/O plate (left). The 9cm fan in the back is not sucking any hot air directly from the C1 due to the low profile of C1. Hence the air flow is not as good as a taller top-down blower like the Noctua C14 imho.

One problem that comes with the PCI-E riser is that how to secure the graphic card. I am planning to use some rubber pad at the bottom to hold the card so that the weight won't fall entirely on the backplate, but haven't came up with a good solution to secure the pads. Any thoughts?

As for the excessive length of the cables, I am planning to buy the SilverStone PP05-E. It has a shorter EPS/ATX12V 8pin cable, shoter PCI-E power cable and a slimline SATA connector which I could use for the optical drive.

Thanks to W360 and Necere for making this awesome case and also thanks the community for great advice and resources! And to those who are curious about the noise of the SX500-LG: I am sorry that I haven't really got the time to stress the system. Will post my impression as soon as I could. I haven't even installed all the drivers yet. lol

Hey Prava! Are you referring to the new v3 PSU bracket? Necere made some changes that would help to allow better fitment with the new SFX-L PSU. The new bracket raises the PSU up a few mm to give a little more room for cables on the bottom (that will hit the back of most GPU cards) and material of the front-top of the bracket was removed to allow room for the internal power cable (the SFX-L power socket has a different orientation (LINK)).

Same here.. mini PC, mini keyboard, 34" monitor :D

raYwG6E.jpg

Fantastic pictures and info, Tschus! For those of you who are planning a build with the M1, C1 and M7I (or M6I), the low profile 20 pin USB header adapter cable available at moddiy will allow you to plug your front USB in. The C1 (at least how I have mine oriented, hanging over the memory) interferes with the header connector and the fins cut into the cable because it is too snug of a fit. I will take some pictures on Monday when my replacement psu arrives.

Watercooling a (stock) CPU will probably result in a louder overall experience because of the pump. The only real reason to go with watercooling (in the Ncase) is because you have overclocks that require >20% extra voltage and/or want to watercool the GPU.

Thanks for the feedback. I have the CPU/mem overclocked the easy way using the IMPACT VII BIOS options. I think a 10% increase for the CPU that is. Maybe I'll first add another pair of SP120 fans or something to push more fresh air into the case.

Cheers.

And the key to successfully fit all these: the PCI-E riser.
Nice write-up ! Thanks for taking your time. Can you link to the PCIe riser you used and perhaps illustrate how you've bent it ? Have you also tested the performance and if it is still linking at PCIe 3.0 x16 ?

Is that M.2 SSD in the Impact motherboard sagging? I've heard people say that, since there is no way to secure it with a screw.

Is that M.2 SSD in the Impact motherboard sagging? I've heard people say that, since there is no way to secure it with a screw.

I am concerned with my M6e coming loose. I may wrap a pair of tie-wraps around the mPCIe daughtercard that pass through the notch meant for a fastening screw.

Just finished my build 2 days ago
It was so painful I literally got bruises and blisters on my fingers from installing the compression fittings! I swear there was even a moment I said to myself f*ck this I'm getting an imac next time lol
My fingers hurt so much (2 fingers even swollen) that I can't press on the lighter to light up my cig!

I used xspc radiator, EK waterblock for the gtx 980 sc with backplate, apogee drive II, ncase reservoir (from frozenq), Silverstone SFX Series 600W and EK compression fittings

I was also a pain in the ass closing the radiator in as the tubes would coil, bend, kink inside due to lack of space that I had to improvise many, many times! (almost ran out of tubing!)

I am now getting 73 degree CPU and 56 degree GPU max temps under extreme loads.

I am using 2x Swiftech Helix 120-BW (non PWM, 1800 RPM) which are running at full speed with no noise at all, however the pump noise (Apogeedrive II) is killing me! I wonder if there's anything I can do to get rid of the whining noise!

Can anyone comment on the best fan setup for this case (position and direction of flow)? I have two 120mm fans and a 92mm.

The PCI-E riser might be the only way I could go. It solves both of my problems. (C1 interferes with SFX power bracket and SFX-L modular PSU interferes with long graphic card with blackplate)

if i dont use a c1, would it be possible to fit a graphics card+backplate and a sfx-l psu by modding the cable connectors a little?

It was so painful I literally got bruises and blisters on my fingers from installing the compression fittings!

, however the pump noise (Apogeedrive II) is killing me! I wonder if there's anything I can do to get rid of the whining noise!

I rubber gloves to make fitting compression fittings a painless process. Get biggest size or your hands will sweat like crazy.

The ADII can be run at a slower rpm. I have mine usually at 20% PWM. In a short loop, as long as you have enough turbulence, there is very little advantage in running it faster. Only more noise.

I rubber gloves to make fitting compression fittings a painless process. Get biggest size or your hands will sweat like crazy.

The ADII can be run at a slower rpm. I have mine usually at 20% PWM. In a short loop, as long as you have enough turbulence, there is very little advantage in running it faster. Only more noise.

That's great! How how can I set the speed though? Is there a software for that?

@ dPunish3r: Should put a plexi panel on the side and run it like that. Looks great. :D

That's great! How how can I set the speed though? Is there a software for that?

It depends where you have plugged the PWM cable in (4 pin fan connection with two wires: green and blue usually). If you've chosen to plug it into a motherboard header, then there should be some way to adjust the fan speeds in the BIOS/UEFI or in some utility application, e.g. Asus Fan Xpert or MSI Command Centre.

Hi all!

I have completed my NCASE M1 V2 build some weeks ago:

I also love these colours. I've done three builds in the past with MDPC-X aquamarine and white. Yours is just so well balanced. Just a shame about the stock GTX cooler, the green text isn't right for it. Did you consider painting? e.g. white PlastiDip is the easiest and least destructive - it peels right off.

I also love these colours. I've done three builds in the past with MDPC-X aquamarine and white. Yours is just so well balanced. Just a shame about the stock GTX cooler, the green text isn't right for it. Did you consider painting? e.g. white PlastiDip is the easiest and least destructive - it peels right off.

I saw a youtube viedo a while back with someone who sanded the logo down so that it glowed white instead. Searched for it. Couldn't find it again.

Back