NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I have modified mine, but used a 92mm fan mounted to the outside, and although I see a Huge improvement, can see 120 being even quieter.

Please post some photos of this fan mod. I am interested in doing the same thing. What fan did you use and is it running at a constant speed or is it temperature controlled?

It appears that the Silverstone SFX Series ST45SF 450W Power Supply is the preferred choice for the NCASE M1.
Its dimensions: 4.92" x 2.5" x 3.94" (125mm x 63.5mm x 100mm)

Has anyone used the Athena Power Apollo series (micro SFX) power supplies in their NCASE M1 ??
http://athenapower.com/product/power-supply/micro-sfx

BTW Micro SFX dimensions: 5" x 2.5" x 4.75" (127mm x 63.5mm x 120mm)

Last edited:
Those Athena units get brought up from time to time but there aren't any real reviews of them.

They have small fans but aren't high-efficiency so I suspect they're really loud at load.

Has anyone used the Athena Power Apollo series (micro SFX) power supplies in their NCASE M1 ??

The be quiet (Germany) SFX Power 2 models only go up to 400 watts,
and they are not cheap.

As the room in the NCASE M1 is very limited a modular PSU is the prefered choice. Both of the above aren't and i'm pretty sure the Silverstone SFX Series (Edit: ST45SF-G + SX600-G) are the only modular ones on the market right now.

Mukes said:
As the room in the NCASE M1 is very limited a modular PSU is the preferred choice.
I'm pretty sure the Silverstone SFX Series (Edit: ST45SF-G + SX600-G) are the only modular ones on the market right now.

So, the new Silverstone ST-SX500-LG (500 watt model, SFX-L), which is 30 mm deeper, has not yet been tested in the NCASE M1 chassis?
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527&area=en

Dimensions of the Silverstone ST-SX500-LG (500 watt)
125 mm (W) × 63.5 mm (H) × 130 mm (D)

Dimensions of the Silverstone ST45SF-G (450 watt)
125 mm (W) × 63.5 mm(H) × 100 mm(D)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=342&area=en

Dimensions of the Silverstone SX-600G (600 watt)
125 mm (W) × 63.5 mm (H) × 100 mm (D)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en

Dimensions of the be quiet! SFX power 2 (400 watt model)
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/493

Last edited:
So, the new Silverstone ST-SX500-LG (500 watt model, SFX-L), which is 30 mm deeper, has not yet been tested in the NCASE M1 chassis?

It has, at least the same psu from another brand.
I've test fitted it with a chieftec one as described a few posts back and for me with custom sleeved cables it doesn't fit (well it fits but the sleeving gets ripped open by the solder bumps on the pcb).

Here's is a nice photo displaying the situation;

I'm building M1 V2 with a High Power SFX-L 500G PSU, it can fit with a long GPU but really tight.
Since you guys are doing V3, is it possible to make a little change somewhere to make this PSU fit better?
JTTKSH.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527&area=en

Dimensions of the Silverstone ST-SX500-LG (500 watt)
125 mm (W) × 63.5 mm (H) × 130 mm (D)

Dimensions of the Silverstone ST45SF-G (450 watt)
125 mm (W) × 63.5 mm(H) × 100 mm(D)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=342&area=en

Dimensions of the Silverstone SX-600G (600 watt)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en

Dimensions of the be quiet! SFX power 2 (400 watt model)
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/493

no, that page literally just went live. hoping it gets released quickly because this is seeming like the psu to get over the 600w, unless you need the extra 100w. but for an i7 and 970/980 500w seems like it should be fine

EDIT: it should also fit better because they adjusted the psu bracket up to hopefully accommodate sfx-L

Last edited:
SFX-L will be tight as long as you are using long GPU's. It's basically the same length as a 140-145mm non-modular ATX PSU which is on the limit of the supported PSU size for this case. The 2mm reduction Necere has made with the v3 PSU bracket will have minimal differences, maybe it will be enough to allow people to mount GPU's with backplates, but it will depend on the backplate.

Last edited:
Please post some photos of this fan mod. I am interested in doing the same thing. What fan did you use and is it running at a constant speed or is it temperature controlled?

Links to some photos of the mod below. 4 links included.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/okwchin/NCase M1/PSUDuctV31_zps738f46a0.jpg
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/okwchin/NCase M1/PSUDuctV33_zps48aec716.jpg
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/okwchin/NCase M1/PSUDuctV34_zpsda65a5de.jpg
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/okwchin/NCase M1/PSUDuctV35_zpsf4d3b80c.jpg

And where the power to the fan comes from.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/okwchin/NCase M1/PSUFanPlug_zps3ee091c1.jpg

If you browse through the gallery, you will see my previous designs. It started with installing the NoiseBlocker fan. But that was quickly established as an option that was quieter but still far from acceptable.

Ended up then opening up the grills and ducting to the side panel 120mm. After that I added a 92mm onto the PSU and that really dropped fan speeds further again. It appears that it could be to do with a few things, 1) more airflow, 2) agitated airflow, increasing flow over components within the psu, 3) larger cutout allowing more air to get to all sides of the PSU.

Both fans are powered by the internal PSU fan control output. It is therefore thermally regulated to PSU temp. both fans are on resistors (LNA). One of them was on a higher resistance (Noctua ULNA). Resistance is whatever you need to get you within a reasonable RPM range for a given temperature.

In the first photo, you will also note a third thin wire coming off the fan header I installed. The PSU controls the fan via voltage control, however I have tapped the third (RPM) wire from the fan, so I can monitor fan RPM via my fan motherboard header. I am currently monitoring rearward case fan (CPU) speed, forward side fan (PSU) speed, and Case Bottom (GPU) fan speed , respectively though the CPU header, Chassis header, and GPU header.

Thanks for the photos and information about how the fans are powered and controlled. I notice in your signature that the PS is the ST45SF-G, and not the SX600-G. For the newer PS the fan voltage is 0 to 5 V and not 0 to 12 V, so if a similar fan mod were done with a typical 92 mm or 120 mm fan, the power would have to come from outside the PS.

I wonder if ducting the front side panel 120 mm fan into the PS's existing 80 mm fan would be sufficient to keep the 80 from even starting?

Last edited:
Think this'll be the final question I've got before everything gets delivered on Saturday and I build it.
I'll have two SSD's in this thing, along with an SFX PSU, reference GTX 980 and the Noctua NH-C14.

I've never built in a case so small. And I have been intending to fit two fans on the bottom, along with to fans across the side. I'd be slightly worried about PSU wires falling in to the fan of the bottom mounted GPU though, and I know you can't fit the fan grills with a GPU included.

Firstly how much of a difference would mounting fans on the bottom help with the GPU? If it would make a good enough difference does anyone know of any thinner and quiet fans which would allow me to install the fan grills?

Secondly, if it makes no difference at all, would it still be wise fitting one fan? Helping push all the warm air up the case?

EDIT:

2it1kw.jpg

Just seen this guys rig on another site, it appears that the fan grill does fit with the GPU. That guys is the 780ti, is the GPU casing on the 780ti and 980 the exact same dimensions?

Last edited:
Think this'll be the final question I've got before everything gets delivered on Saturday and I build it.
I'll have two SSD's in this thing, along with an SFX PSU, reference GTX 980 and the Noctua NH-C14.

I've never built in a case so small. And I have been intending to fit two fans on the bottom, along with to fans across the side. I'd be slightly worried about PSU wires falling in to the fan of the bottom mounted GPU though, and I know you can't fit the fan grills with a GPU included.

Firstly how much of a difference would mounting fans on the bottom help with the GPU? If it would make a good enough difference does anyone know of any thinner and quiet fans which would allow me to install the fan grills?

Secondly, if it makes no difference at all, would it still be wise fitting one fan? Helping push all the warm air up the case?

EDIT:

2it1kw.jpg

Just seen this guys rig on another site, it appears that the fan grill does fit with the GPU. That guys is the 780ti, is the GPU casing on the 780ti and 980 the exact same dimensions?

I have a 980ti in mine with one fan underneath it. My fan is a standard 25mm thick fan and a grill will not fit between it and the 980ti. The fan is sitting pretty much flush with the 980ti, blowing into the 980ti's fan.

EDIT:

2it1kw.jpg

Thats my PC! I responded to your pm on ocn. :D

Looks like only one grill fitted, and the GPU is being pushed up. Looks like it was too tight to fit a grill in the rearward bottom fan.

And regarding the PSU fan - I did not realise the 600W was a 0-5V fan!!. Yes, you would need to have an external powered fan. (or external power and controlled by the 5V as a signal... (High DIY required)). I agree that the preferred thing here might be to duct the side fan to the psu. That might make a big difference to fan noise from the 600. Could give sufficient improvement, but represents a big effect for a relatively lower effort. Saves cutting up the whole PSU. Certainly would be my first step.

Looks like only one grill fitted, and the GPU is being pushed up. Looks like it was too tight to fit a grill in the rearward bottom fan.

And regarding the PSU fan - I did not realise the 600W was a 0-5V fan!!. Yes, you would need to have an external powered fan. (or external power and controlled by the 5V as a signal... (High DIY required)). I agree that the preferred thing here might be to duct the side fan to the psu. That might make a big difference to fan noise from the 600. Could give sufficient improvement, but represents a big effect for a relatively lower effort. Saves cutting up the whole PSU. Certainly would be my first step.

It wasn't too tight, I just decided not to install it because it wasn't necessary. I actual removed the rear fan because I found that it made my cpu and gpu temps rise (oddly enough) and I might add it back in and mess around with the fan setup a bit.

The gpu rests on the fan grill and it isn't being pushed up in any way. If anything, I actually used to have a problem with the card sagging due to the weight of some of the cables behind the hdd cage, but I've fixed it since this picture was taken.

I have a 980ti in mine with one fan underneath it. My fan is a standard 25mm thick fan and a grill will not fit between it and the 980ti. The fan is sitting pretty much flush with the 980ti, blowing into the 980ti's fan.

"980ti" used 4 times in 3 short sentences. Doesn't exist yet, maybe a 780ti.

Not sure what issue you're having in your case, but a standard 120x25mm fan can fit under a reference 780/780ti/Titan/970/980 without touching the GPU. I Removed my grills after doing proper cable management of the SX600-G. 2X Noctua NF-S12A's with rubber isolation mounts and the NCASE grills cleared my reference 980 SC. Temps throughout the case have dropped, very slightly, and GPU temps haved dropped roughly 5°C. Most likely due to the offset positioning of the 980's fan relative to the NF-S12A creating a positive pressure scenario at the 980's intake; that and the second bottom fan cooling the 980's cooler-body lowering overall heat-soak.

Either way, personally I'm very happy with the decision to add the two bottom fans.

Sorry, 980 not ti. Did you feel threatened somehow that I might have a better video card than yours? :p

Yeah, I've taken it out and placed it back in a couple of times and just the fan fits underneath. A grill won't fit.

Anyway, these cases are "bendy" so maybe my frame is bent in such a way that makes the video card closer to the fan.

Another build and a very happy user ! :D

- NCASE M1 v2
- IMPACT VII
- NH-C14
- 2x MX100 512Gb RAID0
- EVGA GTX970 FTW
- SX600
- 2x SP120 PWM; maybe I'll add two more at the bottom
- some Demciflex filters; still some to be added

Dead silent if you ask me ... and fast compared to my 8-year old mini tower.

Some pictures, although we have seen this already:
http://i.imgur.com/ILW3Uux.jpg;http://i.imgur.com/rsZqUb6.jpg;http://i.imgur.com/3J6enKS.jpg

Anyone know when preorders will stop?

I asked a few pages back but the question was buried hah. I don't have a free paycheck until the 10th, and I'm worried I won't get to place my order :x

Hey, your SX600-G is Version 1.1. I haven't seen that before. What is the difference from 1.0?

No idea. But from my experience, with the case like 1 meter away from me, below my desk, the noise that the PSU emits is not disturbing at all (as witnessed earlier). There is indeed a short and very silent "bird singing" when the fan starts but once it turns, I can't hear the fan. Even for the "start up" noise I need get close to the PSU to hear it. My 2 SP120 fans are the loudest part when gaming, but then I have a headset on. Fans are controlled by motherboards BIOS settings. The box is much quiter then my old one, I'm happy.

Except for gaming I haven't stressed it specially, which I intend to do over the coming weeks.
I might also go "custom cabel" option, as the standard SX600 cables are not bad, but still a mess :).

Can anyone confirm that those are the clips that are used to mount top/sidepanels in the ncase: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2097.html

Or are they too big? On closer inspection of my ncase i found that the back-left mount for the top-panel is missing. It holds wirhout, but gives a rattling noise whenever i touch it.

Edit: nvm, found the spare parts in the accessories bag. Very nice to include those! Or are they ment for something else?

Last edited:
Anyone know when preorders will stop?

I asked a few pages back but the question was buried hah. I don't have a free paycheck until the 10th, and I'm worried I won't get to place my order :x
No worries, it'll be some time yet before this run sells out. I expect it to last easily through the new year.

Can anyone confirm that those are the clips that are used to mount top/sidepanels in the ncase: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2097.html

Or are they too big? On closer inspection of my ncase i found that the back-left mount for the top-panel is missing. It holds wirhout, but gives a rattling noise whenever i touch it.

Edit: nvm, found the spare parts in the accessories bag. Very nice to include those! Or are they ment for something else?
I believe those clips kustompcs sells are for older Lian Li cases, and are too large. W360 does have spare clips - they're just not on the site atm (due to being shipped from the US, they need separate coding). And yes, the spare clips in the accessory box are there in case of loss or breakage.

Did Necere say somewhere how long we have until the window for it being shipped by December 18th closes? Been reading the last few pages but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Looking to snag one, but still considering my options. :)

I wouldn't recommend waiting, every time people come wallowing in pain how they "just missed" the pre-order and need to wait for the next batch. This is going to be the third batch in about 15 months of being in production.

Finally got round to it (as well as swapping the insane SP120L fans for P12 PWMs)

Noctua packaging and black electrical tape = magic ducting for a shagged twin frozr iii \o/

edit: not enough airflow, card doesn't like it. 970GTX for christmas maybe? :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend waiting, every time people come wallowing in pain how they "just missed" the pre-order and need to wait for the next batch. This is going to be the third batch in about 15 months of being in production.

I just caved. Ordered! Now the wait begins...:D

It's making my stomach turn just waiting until Monday or Tuesday to order. With Necere expecting things to last well through the new year, I'm assuming I'll be safe to wait a couple more days (two+ weeks before the new year)... Unless any of you guys want a spare kidney? :D

Edit: Wait, are we charged as soon as the preorder is placed or not until preorders are no longer being taken? Dumb question, but if it's the latter I'll just go ahead and order as I'll definitely have the money by then haha.

Edit: Wait, are we charged as soon as the preorder is placed or not until preorders are no longer being taken? Dumb question, but if it's the latter I'll just go ahead and order as I'll definitely have the money by then haha.

It's Paypal, so the payment should be processed very quickly.

Just had a fraudulent transaction on my account a couple weeks ago and the assholes still posted the charge to my CC within 2 days of me reporting it to them. They even reversed the chargeback from AMEX. It's not really relevant here, but fuck Paypal :mad:

what do you guys think, impact 7 board or z97i-plus? as ive been seeing a few complaints about the impact 7 on the forums

I'd personally not spend money (again) on the Maximus VII Impact if you don't want/need the faster M.2 slot, massive overclocking support or better sound solution. The Z97I-Plus is a good board in any regard though.

I'm also contemplating that very same question. Though, I'm also considering the MSI Z97I Gaming AC. I'm not too fond of the looks of the Z97I-Plus; that PCH heatsink is especially unsightly to me and I also hear it gets very hot. Whereas the MSI is a very good looking board even if I'm not sure about the layout. I could work around that. The lack of M.2 on the MSI might not be a deal breaker for me. I'm also running an external DAC so sound is not an issue.

The MSI Z97I is a great board. I have the Z87 version and it's been great.

I do not have a Ncase at the moment but I do admit the layout will be a tad funky to throw into the case one I get it. We will see.

Have you checked out the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac? I've been using AsRock boards more and more lately and they have been great for anyone I suggest them to. Has a similar layout to the ASUS too. Has anyone thrown that in the ncase yet?

Have you checked out the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac? I've been using AsRock boards more and more lately and they have been great for anyone I suggest them to. Has a similar layout to the ASUS too. Has anyone thrown that in the ncase yet?

The main dealbreaker between the rest of the field and the VII is m.2 x4 support. The VII is the only board I have found that supports x4.

Back