NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

It looks like he did. Based on my measurements, without the fan bracket in place, there is almost exactly 137mm to the side panel, which, incidentally, is also the the height of the PH-TC14CS (112mm) with a 25mm thick fan. So I'll amend my statement: it won't fit with the stock fans; with thinner fans, it may fit.

Ah, so if I used the fan bracket to install two 25mm thick fans, the TC14CS (without top fan) would not fit?

I'm building M1 V2 with a High Power SFX-L 500G PSU, it can fit with a long GPU but really tight.
Since you guys are doing V3, is it possible to make a little change somewhere to make this PSU fit better?
JTTKSH.jpg

nTQNl8.jpg

how bad is it? any pics? I'd thought since the MSI's 970 fit fine I wouldn't have any problem jumping on a MSI 980. But reading your post just made me realize the power connectors on the 970 are recessed behind the shroud while the 980's power connectors are more or less flush with the edge of the shroud and heatpipes.. would it be enough to sand off a couple millimeters of the plastic on the male end of the pins so the wires can bend closer to the card?

The side panel will not close. The power connectors will not allow it, unfortunately I returned it right away to re-purchase a reference 980 so I can't take any pictures. I sold my reference zotac 980 for that msi and now I've returned that to re purchase another pny 980 reference. Funny thing is my zotac reference didn't have coil whine and both the msi and the pny 980 seem to be experiencing coil whine so I'm honestly just pissed at the whole situation, whoever posted those pictures before should have stated that the panel couldn't close but oh well I should have known better I guess seeing the card barely fit in.

On version 3, could you guys flip the position of the ODD drive? That way when you insert or eject the disk, it would be facing you with the labels.

I'm building M1 V2 with a High Power SFX-L 500G PSU, it can fit with a long GPU but really tight.
Since you guys are doing V3, is it possible to make a little change somewhere to make this PSU fit better?
Kind of what I expected. Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done, aside from modifying the SFX bracket to allow the AC cable to fit the way you did. For the clearance between the GPU and PSU, there's just no room to move anything to allow the connectors to fit any better.

On version 3, could you guys flip the position of the ODD drive? That way when you insert or eject the disk, it would be facing you with the labels.
No.

Kind of what I expected. Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done, aside from modifying the SFX bracket to allow the AC cable to fit the way you did. For the clearance between the GPU and PSU, there's just no room to move anything to allow the connectors to fit any better.
Can you move up the SFX bracket just a little for like 2mm? it's not much but at least I can put the back-plate back on my GTX980 :)

Yikes, that's a much closer fit on the SFX-L than I was expecting. Hopefully the combination of Silverstone's thin PSU cables and pushing the modular plug board further inside (possible on current Silversone SFX PSUs) will gain enough mm for a backplate. Not comfortable having live power wiring rubbing up against sharp through-hole leads (though maybe a layer of Kapton will be enough protection).

This is bad news. I hope SilverStone's skinny cables will save the day. My GPU also comes with a backplate.

I'm going to try to see if I can install the modular sockets deeper inside the PSU's case. With some 5mm bushings, that may be enough for most of us. As soon as I can order it, I will get it and try this.

Thank you Necere and wahaha360 - this is one of the most efficient, well-designed, and stylish cases out there.

Can you move up the SFX bracket just a little for like 2mm? it's not much but at least I can put the back-plate back on my GTX980 :)
I think I can move it up 2, maybe 3mm. You can see just how much space those connectors take up - that's a gap of ~18mm between the PSU and GPU. A couple millimeters won't make a big difference, but every little bit helps.

Why not just put it on the front? It is deep enough,
There's no room inside the case. It would block something anywhere you tried to put it.

Thank you Necere and wahaha360 - this is one of the most efficient, well-designed, and stylish cases out there.
Thank you and you're welcome.

Hi guys, exist a form to see all pics uploaded to this thread?
There's no forum functionality for that, unfortunately. Best you can do is plug the thread url (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717132) into google images.

I think I can move it up 2, maybe 3mm. You can see just how much space those connectors take up - that's a gap of ~18mm between the PSU and GPU. A couple millimeters won't make a big difference, but every little bit helps.
Yeah, the big issue is the connectors obviously. I hope I can sink the sockets a little deeper to solve the issue for people that would otherwise also be comfortable with the fan-mod on the 450W PSU.

Yes: we have no inventory at this time. We're actually planning to skip the month-long pre-order phase this time and go straight to the next production run, but it is taking a little time to set that up (thanks in part to Paypal being difficult about releasing funds).

Do you mean, the pre-order starts at mid nov to mid dec, and the cases will be shiped more or less at ends jan?

Just letting you know, after two months of shipping one case found its way to germany...

As eager as i am to start my build, right now im still in the planning phase. I plan on doing a water-cooled build, either with the h220, or going full custom. My question would be, are there any pump/reservoir combos known to fit under a GTX 980 with water block, just on the Bottom of the case?

Just letting you know, after two months of shipping one case found its way to germany...

As eager as i am to start my build, right now im still in the planning phase. I plan on doing a water-cooled build, either with the h220, or going full custom. My question would be, are there any pump/reservoir combos known to fit under a GTX 980 with water block, just on the Bottom of the case?

May be the EK single bay pump/res, with one or two ddc 3.25. I was planed use the version with one pump, but i don't have a lot money haha

It may be possible to fit it under the gpu, however i think it would needed to be turned sideways because the outlet is on top of it, and with tubings and fittings installed it won't fit.

However, i heard it is quite loud, and produces noticeable humming. I plan to go as silent as possible, but this may be asked too much if were talking space as little as that...

Do you mean, the pre-order starts at mid nov to mid dec, and the cases will be shiped more or less at ends jan?
No, we're hoping to open orders mid-November, and start shipping mid-December.

My question would be, are there any pump/reservoir combos known to fit under a GTX 980 with water block, just on the Bottom of the case?
This is the only build I've seen attempting something like that. Note that he had to do some minor mods to make it fit.

No, we're hoping to open orders mid-November, and start shipping mid-December.

This is the only build I've seen attempting something like that. Note that he had to do some minor mods to make it fit.

Oh, at the moment i pay you'll give the order to make it? Is not like a second batch procces?

And that it's the EK single bay one pump version.

Oh, at the moment i pay you'll give the order to make it? Is not like a second batch procces?
We've actually already put in the order, so it's not like the first two batches where we took preorders first. W360 has worked out a deal to have the cases stored and shipped directly from Taiwan this time around, so the time between your order and receiving the case will be much less than before.

We've actually already put in the order, so it's not like the first two batches where we took preorders first. W360 has worked out a deal to have the cases stored and shipped directly from Taiwan this time around, so the time between your order and receiving the case will be much less than before.

Thats great! i can't wait to do my pre-order (how you can see)

I think you should open the preorder gates early :D

I need to buy a case so I stop looking at others

:)

also wanted to ask will you be bringing back the aluminium feet? on the silver case they look too sexy haha

Why not just put it on the front? It is deep enough,
Errr... what? I mean that the position of the ODD itself be flipped... Right now, when you put in a disk, you see back side. But if you flip the ODD, you can see the top label of the disk. If I confused people with using the word "flip," I apologize.

also wanted to ask will you be bringing back the aluminium feet? on the silver case they look too sexy haha

You can get a set here (40mm) in 3 colors: http://www.focusattack.com/joystick-case-accessories/

Errr... what? I mean that the position of the ODD itself be flipped... Right now, when you put in a disk, you see back side. But if you flip the ODD, you can see the top label of the disk. If I confused people with using the word "flip," I apologize.

I remember asking about it during the V1 prototype phase and was denied. The reason given was the difficulty in securing the screws on the recessed side of the drive. Also, the slot on the top panel would have to be cut much closer to the front and that might be problematic.

Every little bit helps. Can't agree more. I think you guys did a great job on this case. What's even greater is that you are still making efforts to make it better.
BTW, can I order the new SFX bracket seperately when you start V3 preorder? Will it still fit in my V2?

I was asking why did they not put the ODD slot/bay on the front of the case? It is strange having the cd/dvd/blueray come out the top...

I was asking why did they not put the ODD slot/bay on the front of the case? It is strange having the cd/dvd/blueray come out the top...
The options were 1.) no ODD, or 2.) ODD slot on the top. There is simply no other way to position the drive internally without it interfering with something. Make sense?

Yeah, the big issue is the connectors obviously. I hope I can sink the sockets a little deeper to solve the issue for people that would otherwise also be comfortable with the fan-mod on the 450W PSU.
Unfortunately, that doesn't look like it'll be possible:

Courtesy of Tony Ou. He also had this to say regarding their (Silverstone's) PSU cables:

Our flat ribbon cables are as thick as regular PSU cables used by High Power on their unit so you can’t bend that much more than what is already shown by that user [link] in hardforum. From the measurement we’ve made, the total depth of the PSU is just under 150mm with the 24pin cable bended.

So not much hope for improvement on that front, I'm afraid.

In terms of what I can do for the V3 SFX bracket, unfortunately the most I think I can get is an extra 2mm.

Just wanted to say thank you. I kickstarted and got one of the initial batches but I just built my system this past month. It's a fantastic case. It definitely kicked my ass a bit to set it up the first time - I haven't built in a case smaller than a full tower in years, let alone an mITX case - but it fits together great and looks stylish in my media center. Great job.

Unfortunately, that doesn't look like it'll be possible:

Courtesy of Tony Ou. He also had this to say regarding their (Silverstone's) PSU cables:

So not much hope for improvement on that front, I'm afraid.

In terms of what I can do for the V3 SFX bracket, unfortunately the most I think I can get is an extra 2mm.
Ah crap. Oh well, it would still fit my build since I don't have a backplate on my GPU. Thanks to Tony and you for figuring this out !

Regarding the direct shipping from TW, is it possible for the accessories also?

Speaking of low profile power connectors for a SFX-L psu.

I've been looking for a while, but no luck so far… has anyone else had success finding a source for the low profile ATX plugs used in the Pico PSUs. These plugs are for soldering to PCBs, but I could see this working for those who are comfortable with soldering, prepared to work with connectors that would be semi-permanent (very difficult to remove), and are aware of the need to protect/insulate bare ends.

Z2-ATX-120-120W-power-20pin-mini-ITX-DC-ATX-power-supply-font-b-PICO-b.jpg

Compare the height of the pico psu connector, vs the normal connector. This photo nicely demonstrates the difference. (Also note that the pico psu comes with a 20 pin, but 24 pin versions do exist)

With two of these connectors, you can use one for the 24 pin, and have another to cut up to do your SATA, Motherboard 12V and a third one for the GPU power cable. The GPU one will need to be modified to get it to fit the blue socket though…

Then you would need to cut the power cables and re-solder onto your new connectors. It could offer a very much lower profile for those who are game, but its a lot of work and risk too.

Another thought might be to simply trim the plastic on the existing connector down 5mm or so. Easier said than done, but if you do that, and assuming there is sufficient flex in the cables, you can gain Just enough space to work too. The more I think about it, the better this sounds. It might be enough, and much easier to do than the first suggestion of the low profile connector. The limiting factor is how high up the metal connector component is within the plug. If the metal bits are practically flush with the area where the wire comes out of the plug, then there is not much to be gained.
(Does anyone have a photo of the back of the connectors for their slimline silverstone cable set?)

Also, removing the plug from the cables would permit you to safely cut the plastic and internal dividers, but you would need to re-insert them in the right places.

Last edited:
Back