NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I don't know if this belongs here...I'm looking for help picking parts. What I have: NCASE M1 v2 w/ ODD slot and a Gigabyte GTX 980 Windforce (shipped). That's all I have so far.

I was thinking of getting an i7-4790K processor, Maximus VII Impact motherboard. Also the Silverstone 600w SFX psu. What do you guys recommend for air cooling? (i intend on carrying this in the car to use at work and home and am guessing that water cooling would not be a smart idea with the case being jostled frequently like that) I don't plan on overclocking. Any recommendations for ram or an ssd drive? Thanks in advance for your advice.

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).
Web development (triple-monitor setup), Creative Suite apps, and gaming. Replacing work pc with this one and bringing home/to-work daily.

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)
No.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
$2,500 (flexible).

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
Atlanta, GA - near both a Microcenter and a Fry’s

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).
Just received NCASE M1 v2 (w/ odd slot). I have a gigabyte 980 windforce on the way. I was thinking of starting with an ASUS Maximus VII Impact mobo, i7-4790K cpu, and SX600-G psu. Any suggestions for which 8gb x 2 ram sticks, 500 gb ssd, optical drive (slim slot loading)? And last but not least: CPU hsf, case fans?

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.
I already have a keyboard(ducky) and mouse(razer salmosa).

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.
mITX.

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
minimum 1920 x 1080 x 3 monitors. i will probably get a qnix QX2710 27” 2560x1440 monitor soon (only supports dual link dvi-d).

The square 120mm Demciflex filters are the 'official' ones I designed for the case, along with the 80mm filter for the Silverstone SFX PSUs. The other filters were someone else's custom order that a few people wanted so they had Demciflex offer them. You're correct that they don't leave room for the screws, which is why mine aren't designed that way.

So, do the customs one get in the way of the screws? If yes, I need to change my order.

I was thinking of getting an i7-4790K processor, Maximus VII Impact motherboard. Also the Silverstone 600w SFX psu. What do you guys recommend for air cooling? (i intend on carrying this in the car to use at work and home and am guessing that water cooling would not be a smart idea with the case being jostled frequently like that) I don't plan on overclocking. Any recommendations for ram or an ssd drive? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Noctua C12, L12 and C14 (C14 only if you're not using the side 3.5" drive rack) and Scythe Kabuto 2 *should* fit the Impact board and have acceptable cooling for the 4790k. For RAM, the Crucial Ballstix Sport VLP (very low-profile) is highly recommended. For SSD, there's lots of good choices for 2.5" drives.. for M2 SSD, your choices are limited. Think the Samsung XP941 would be a good choice.

So, do the customs one get in the way of the screws? If yes, I need to change my order.

Not sure if the custom 1-piece Demci filters interfere with using fan screws, but I'm pretty sure that IreK's bottom 1-piece for the M1 is designed to go on the inside only (intended for builds where nothing at all is placed on the bottom).

Not sure if the custom 1-piece Demci filters interfere with using fan screws, but I'm pretty sure that IreK's bottom 1-piece for the M1 is designed to go on the inside only (intended for builds where nothing at all is placed on the bottom).

Well, I feel pretty dumb about now. I didn't know that. I need to order the other ones then. Thank you!

I think irek's one-piece side filter can still be used with screws. You just might have to trim the magnetic backing around the screw holes. I had LL change the included M5s from dome head to flat head for the M1 V2, which should allow for a little more clearance for the filter to go over the top of the screw. But I haven't personally used those filters, so maybe someone who has can chime in.

I think irek's one-piece side filter can still be used with screws. You just might have to trim the magnetic backing around the screw holes. I had LL change the included M5s from dome head to flat head for the M1 V2, which should allow for a little more clearance for the filter to go over the top of the screw. But I haven't personally used those filters, so maybe someone who has can chime in.

Thanks! I already e-mailed DEMCiflter about canceling my order, either way, I don't feel like waiting until the strike is over to get my filters.

Thank you so much for the case. It's gorgeous!

My case until I receive the Noctua NH-C14 and get time to put it in (which may be tomorrow!) And no, that Xigmatek Gaia does not fit.

2jcedfd.jpg

bhlw7m.jpg

Edit: I just realized that I have the PSU facing the opposite direction than most people. Oh well, it'll probably stay cooler this way!

Last edited:
Finally finished assembling ;')

Build quality and everything about the M1 is just plain genius and amazing! I was surprised I could actually fit two 2.5" drives in front so that was perfect for me. There was some wobble, but disappeared after assembly.

ncaseM1v2.jpg

Size comparison vs Fractal Design Midi R2 and Rosewill R101

side.jpg

Managing the cables was PITA especially since I have non-modular ATX PSU with tons of cables. I managed to cramp all the cables in between the PSU, SSD, front and top panels. Kinda messy in those areas but there's minimal cables under the GPU, which is nice. I can also add a 120mm fan, but the temps look fine right now and I need dust filters first.

gpu.jpg

Specs:

Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz
2 x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1.5v 2133 11-11-11-30
Noctua NH-C14 w/ Corsair SP120 push/pull outtake config (blows outwards the side panel)
Antec Earthwatts 750w Platinum ATX
Radeon 7970 Reference
256gb Crucial MX100
500gb 2.5" HDD

My GPU stays at 82C and CPU at 58C. ~20C ambient.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the case. It's gorgeous!
You're welcome.

Finally finished assembling ;')
Yours is one of the very few I've seen with an ATX PSU and long GPU. I'm a little surprised that the space below the video card is pretty much cable free. Nice job.

is this case still in production? I would love to order one.
It's not currently in production. We take pre-orders from people and then place a production order with Lian Li. This is the second batch we've done. We do have some extras that should be going up for sale later in the month - there's an email signup on the website if you'd like to be notified. Bear in mind that last time we did that we had about the same amount (~60), and they sold out in a few minutes. Another batch is a definite possibility as well, but that will take a bit longer.

You can also find a few people selling theirs, though the asking prices are somewhat inflated.

Anyone know who does delivery in the UK? Is it Parcelforce or Royal Mail?
It's being held at the minute because of customs charges, and if it's Royal Mail I could go pick it up today.

Thanks guys for the filter discussion. I got everything i need out of that. I think I'll be ordering both the irek bottom filter and the "official" ones becaus i expect my configuratin to chang significantly over the next year.

ona side note i did a test yesterday that really speaks to the awesome fit of the panels. I already have quite a few 120mm fans lying aroubd but several of them are white led. I figured putting them i the bottom could actually look good lighting up the surface it is standing on, but only if Light doesn't pour out every hole. Put an insanely bright bicycle lamp in there and a cardboard sheet to mimic the gpu. I can't see any light strips in any of the panel junctions in a completely dark room. I am really impressed.

Im trying to figure out what video card to use and wonder if the length of a card is the total length including the bracket or the length inside the case?

A GTX970 would be more than enough for my needs and im looking at the reference design for the blower style fan ie help transport air out the sweet M1. EVGA seems to have a good design but their cards with blower style cooler is not available just yet.

Im trying to figure out what video card to use and wonder if the length of a card is the total length including the bracket or the length inside the case?

A GTX970 would be more than enough for my needs and im looking at the reference design for the blower style fan ie help transport air out the sweet M1. EVGA seems to have a good design but their cards with blower style cooler is not available just yet.

The bracket is not usually included in the measurement.

I got an email from EVGA this morning saying product number 04G-P4-1972-KR is now available. That's the GTX 970 Superclocked with short PCB and blower cooler.

I found three shops selling it in the Netherlands by searching the EAN number 4250812406521. All of them suggest 2+ weeks before delivery.

So I looked further: Caseking in Germany is taking preorders and expects to ship this Friday.

The bracket is not usually included in the measurement.

I got an email from EVGA this morning saying product number 04G-P4-1972-KR is now available. That's the GTX 970 Superclocked with short PCB and blower cooler.

I found three shops selling it in the Netherlands by searching the EAN number 4250812406521. All of them suggest 2+ weeks before delivery.

So I looked further: Caseking in Germany is taking preorders and expects to ship this Friday.

Thank you WiSK, that model would fit my M1 perfectly.

I would rather have the normal version (less Power = not as loud psu?) but with a 10 euro price difference im not so sure.

I hope Alternate.de will sell these too since I have some vouchers there.

Last edited:
Thank you WiSK, that model would fit my M1 perfectly. I hope they will sell the normal version too in Europe, not just the super clocked.

The regular one 04G-P4-1970-KR is there too.

I always take the superclocked version because it's only 10 euros more, and you know then that the GPU has been binned for stability at higher volts. With the regular version you have to rely on luck if it will overclock well or not.

The regular one 04G-P4-1970-KR is there too.

I always take the superclocked version because it's only 10 euros more, and you know then that the GPU has been binned for stability at higher volts. With the regular version you have to rely on luck if it will overclock well or not.

Seem like MSI will release a 970 with 980 style PCB and cooler, a bit more plastic looking than a 980 though.

http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=115262

My only concern with a superclocked is that it will draw almost the same amount of Power as a 980 (and also perform Close to that) but perhaps the 500w SFX-L PSU from Silverstone could sort that out.

My only concern with a superclocked is that it will draw almost the same amount of Power as a 980 (and also perform Close to that) but perhaps the 500w SFX-L PSU from Silverstone could sort that out.

The 450W also sorts it out, easily. The power consumption of the GTX 980 is ridiculously low. :)

From EVGA website they both have a TDP of 145W:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 (http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1970-KR) -> Total Power Draw : 145 Watts (Details tab)
Length: 9.5in - 241.3mm

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked (http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1972-KR) -> Total Power Draw : 145 Watts
Length: 9.5in - 241.3mm

Logically the Supeclocked one should use more power though...

Talking about size, it looks like the Zotac one remains the smallest:
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2hj4fp/discussion_gtx_970_length_by_manufacturer_simple/

@WiSK
Did I miss the Pamely Isley build log? I notice you already got the Darkside LP240 rad in your hands, that's fast! Did you get it from Dazmode? That's the only relevant hit I get from Google, no review yet I guess...

Has anyone had any problems with customs office? I'm living in Poland and today I received a note saying that I should send them some documents like confirmation of payment, copy of my national ID, description of the goods and so on. Are there no customs documents attached to the package? Do I have to take care of this stuff by myself?

It's being held at the minute because of customs charges, and if it's Royal Mail I could go pick it up today.
Mine was parcelforce. Received the customs letter today, so should have it tomorrow.

Parceforce for me, called them (no more patience to wait for the card in the mail :p), payed on the phone the customs tax and they released it my way.

Last edited:

As Backfeed and Bak2Bak said it's no problem. This new Maxwell tech means that these cards draw less than usual. They have similar consumption as the previous midrange models: 460, 560ti, 660ti.

Did I miss the Pamely Isley build log? I notice you already got the Darkside LP240 rad in your hands, that's fast! Did you get it from Dazmode? That's the only relevant hit I get from Google, no review yet I guess...

I should start a new build log indeed. The specs in my sig are a lie: it's running on air atm with the 980 which isn't in Splash yet because I'm waiting on the waterblock and a blue backplate. Also I was busy making a new reservoir.

The Darkside rad was a direct order from Canada. I asked Daz if he was planning to export to any European resellers and he said he's asked around but no one was interested. I think it's a pretty unique product, but I guess the market for SFF 240 rads is smaller than the market for SFF cases.

The Darkside rad was a direct order from Canada. I asked Daz if he was planning to export to any European resellers and he said he's asked around but no one was interested. I think it's a pretty unique product, but I guess the market for SFF 240 rads is smaller than the market for SFF cases.
OK thx for the info!
Any other reason that made you choose it over the ST30 than the few mm shorter?

If you get the chance can you measure the height. It's supposed to be 140mm (so 1mm less than the MSI which we know just about fits), but from the pictures I've seen of the Strix it looks taller than the MSI.

here are two pictures of an Asus Strix 970 and the NCase M1..

It's kind of a battle to squeeze the card in the case.
because of the high pcb you get in trouble with the metal for the side panel clamps - you have to take one of them out! and the pin from the side panel hits exactly the top of the pcb, therefore bending the side panel a little bit.

jioP8Ej.jpg

and the heatpipe sticks out, a tiny bit.. I hope you can see it on the picture, marked the area - slightly taller than the case:

Vw0wuCX.jpg

Last edited:
My case arrived yesterday. So far looks great. Very TINY mount of wobble. Looks great. Will post pics when I get it stuffed full.

OK thx for the info!
Any other reason that made you choose it over the ST30 than the few mm shorter?

Few mm in each dimension adds up to ~14% reduction in volume ;)

According to Daz, his experience as shop owner selling other companies' rads, he discovered many such radiators are made in the same Chinese factory. So he just ordered directly. You can see therefore his price is less than the ST30 (although I paid more overall with shipping). I also prefer the stamped logo instead of the copper print.

Yep right, every mm counts with the M1! :D
I may follow you on that choice, hoping this rad will manage to cool an o/c CPU and a GTX 970.

I think I've decided to go for the Noctua C14 cooler.
Am I correct in thinking that will fit with the Z97 Asus Impact II and an SFX PSU?

I'll be taking the top fan off and fitting two 120mm fans on the side panel (most likely the Corsair SP120's I already have).

I imagine I'd need to take the bottom fan off too, and maybe replace it with another SP120, depending on the RAM. Most likely with these:

MY-182-KS_90191_600.jpg

Or would there be better options? Been thinking about a H100i for awhile now. But I've not been happy with the past two CLCs I've used.

I and others prefer VLP memory, like the Crucial Sport VLP:

PCF276.w_rev5.memory-623-80.jpg

This gives you more freedom to route cables and allows more CPU heatsink orientations. Unless you depend on the memory speed for an overclock, the 1600MHz is max non-overclocked performance the Intel Core i7 chips allow (excluding Socket 2011).

I don't really care for benching.
I have seen that RAM before, and it has caught my eye.
I remember being under the impression that RAM never really made a difference when gaming, but I remember a year ago reading some articles saying some games do benefit from faster RAM, like Battlefield 4 (whether or not that's correct I've no idea).
That, and the fact that RAM is more or less the same/similar price now in the UK, no matter the speed.
Well, 1600 can be had for about £120 here, and 2400 being available from about £135. The Crucial RAM being 132.

If it does actually make no difference it'd be a no brainer really.

Most that it will matter is single digit percentages, going from 1600MHz 8-8-8 to the fastest spec available. A random driver update or the whimpiest of overclocks achieves more results.

Has anyone had any problems with customs office? I'm living in Poland and today I received a note saying that I should send them some documents like confirmation of payment, copy of my national ID, description of the goods and so on. Are there no customs documents attached to the package? Do I have to take care of this stuff by myself?
Bad luck - my NCASE came to Poland without customs inspecting it (it's pretty random - sometimes they check my packages, sometimes not). Yes, you should do what they want. Be prepared to pay 23% VAT and some PLN (like 10 PLN if it's Poczta Polska) for their work.

I love all the new improvements and I realized the top panel screw hole is still there so the V1 panels would probably work.

Any chance we could buy the PSU cable separately? That's probably the best improvement on the V2 cases and I would love it for my V1.

here are two pictures of an Asus Strix 970 and the NCase M1..

It's kind of a battle to squeeze the card in the case.
because of the high pcb you get in trouble with the metal for the side panel clamps - you have to take one of them out! and the pin from the side panel hits exactly the top of the pcb, therefore bending the side panel a little bit.

and the heatpipe sticks out, a tiny bit.. I hope you can see it on the picture, marked the area - slightly taller than the case:
Thanks for posting that. I took a chance and ordered the 970 Strix (which turned up today) - so I think I'll be sending it back.

Back to the drawing board.

It's either the MSI 970 (which is also a pretty tight fit), MSI 980 (which should be 1mm shorter in height) or just stick with a reference design 980.

Grrrrr, stupid graphics cards.

For anyone with the Asus Impact + NH-C14 + Ncase M1 (Lian Li) filters, you could fit all these together and it makes a perfect fit on the side panel. I'm using San Ace fans but any 120x25 fan should work. On my old V1 case, I used the demc filters and had to use a washer to make it fit perfectly.

image1-6.jpg

For anyone with the Asus Impact + NH-C14 + Ncase M1 (Lian Li) filters, you could fit all these together and it makes a perfect fit on the side panel. I'm using San Ace fans but any 120x25 fan should work. On my old V1 case, I used the demc filters and had to use a washer to make it fit perfectly.

image1-6.jpg

Pretty much what I'm looking to do I think. Looks a tight fit!
Have you got the filters mounted inside our outside the side panel?
What RAM are you using?

Pretty much what I'm looking to do I think. Looks a tight fit!
Have you got the filters mounted inside our outside the side panel?
What RAM are you using?
They are mounted inside. My Ram is g.skill but I removed the heat sinks on them. It was the sniper series and it would fit but they were ugly to me

Bad luck - my NCASE came to Poland without customs inspecting it (it's pretty random - sometimes they check my packages, sometimes not). Yes, you should do what they want. Be prepared to pay 23% VAT and some PLN (like 10 PLN if it's Poczta Polska) for their work.

Did you have to pay VAT as well? I mean did they calculate the VAT and you had to pay it at the post office? If so, then what tariff code was assigned? If not, then nevermind my question ;)

Back