NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

It would seem my case arrived to Finland this morning...now its only going to take a week or so for the customs to process it -__-

well, maybe not, but just sad i wont be getting it for the weekend no matter what. Customs should have contacted me via email/phone, but apparently they want to do things the snail-mail-way.

Mine went in the Monday shipment, and has just been scanned in at the New Jersey USPS facility. I guess USPS is taking their sweet time.

My M1 case should get to me on Oct 2 and M1 accessories Oct 1. Weird since the actual case was shipped out earlier and has the same shipping service. My GTX 980 should arrive around the same time so it's going to be a fun week :p

Anyone fitted a reference design GTX980?

I noticed there seems to be a gap in the side panel on most GTX970´s that would let air escape into the chassi again instead of going out the back.

It's the same with the GTX 980 (and yes, I have one fitted). There are actually three things I'm skeptical about with Nvidia's acclaimed reference cooler:

1. The gap you mention. Why is it there?
2. The VRM (?) cooler air is being blown "backwards" into the case (AMD don't do this).
3. The window over the fins, does it leak IR heat into the case?

But don't worry, it's nothing compared to the regular third party coolers that dump ALL heat into the case.

Thanks, do you reckon the fan of the ST45SF-G would become loud at that load (estimated to 55-60% with 4770K and GTX980?)?

Yes, the ST45SF-G stock fan is always loud. It's a lousy little piece of excrement. The SX600-G fan noise is a vast improvement (and the GTX 980 reference cooler drowns it out completely at load), but it has downsides as well (especially the bearing chatter noise, although only faint).

I'm just curious has anyone managed to get both 140mm fans working on the c14? I know necere said it wouldn't work because of the sfx but has anyone else managed to do it maybe with a different orientation or something?

The bottom 140mm fan won't fit because of the psu, but a 120mm fan fits. In my case, it lowers the max cpu core temp by roughly 8-10 deg C. But then I'm only using a 120mm on the top as well (pulling in fresh air directly from the side panel though a gasket). Using the 140mm on top should perform better.

From the SPCR review: "The end result is superb CPU cooling when both fans are utilized, and solid cooling with just one.", "Alternatively, you just use a fan on top to avoid interference with tall memory sticks or an oversized chipset/VRM heatsink though this configuration isn't optimal for performance.".

You guys are way too worried about positive pressure. Just blow the case out once a week/month and it'll be fine.

It's not only the case that will gather dust, and blowing it out is actually discouraged (at least if using a compressor or similar), because electrically conductive dust material may gather under surface mounted BGA chips, shorting them out sooner or later. Sucking it out instead is recommended, but only with a special-purpose ESD-proof vacuum cleaner (which is expensive) or similar.

I find the simplest way to reduce dust-related problems, is positive pressure and quality dust filters, which is usually pretty simple to achieve. :)

I've got a quick question for you guys! My case should arrive on Oct 1, I currently don't have a cpu cooler that will fit in the N1. I'm waiting for the Fractal Kelvin to be released, but that might be in 2-3 months. I currently overclock my cpu (3570k) to around 4.2. If you were me, would you buy a cooler to use for those 2-3 months (if yes, which one?) or use the stock intel cooler for the time being?

:( any extra cases available for purchase at all?
miss out on the whole thing
have been checking on ebay everyday...M1 v2 for ~400 bucks:eek:

I've got a quick question for you guys! My case should arrive on Oct 1, I currently don't have a cpu cooler that will fit in the N1. I'm waiting for the Fractal Kelvin to be released, but that might be in 2-3 months. I currently overclock my cpu (3570k) to around 4.2. If you were me, would you buy a cooler to use for those 2-3 months (if yes, which one?) or use the stock intel cooler for the time being?
get the swiftech h220x. Maximum erection increase not guaranteed.

:( any extra cases available for purchase at all?
miss out on the whole thing
have been checking on ebay everyday...M1 v2 for ~400 bucks:eek:

I recall that, after a period of time (so that those who ordered can get replacements if need be), all remaining units will be offloaded in a fire sale sometime in the future, perhaps a month or so from now. Probably will be sold on an "as-is" basis since they can't replace those... But that would be your best bet. They did a very similar thing for the first run of cases.

...I also just read through the last two-ish months of the thread, so I know that a rough timeline which included that (possible) fire sale was mentioned, but I don't recall when specifically.

On an unrelated note: I will be getting my hands on my case tomorrow, and will inspect for damage (don't suspect there will be an issue) and post on the spreadsheet. Can't wait!

There are decent ones for less than $20 if you get one on sale. Depends how much CPU power you need. I would not recommend overclocking with the stock cooler but the stock cooler does get loud.

Hi guys,

What do you think about this?

Following Necere advice to choose a slim rad, the Alphacool ST30 240mm looks like a good choice with 30mm width.
Adding 25mm for a fan, this leaves ~35mm free space before a SFX-L 500W PSU. Plenty room for another rad (like the XSPC EX120)! :D
top:
FukJDrsl.png

But looking at those sandwich tests (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?220874-More-Radiator-Sandwich-testing), a simple push/pull seems to perform better.
Which leads me to this setup, included a ST30 120mm and a UT60 120mm:
top:
WCt6ZHEl.png

front:
EOenSxAl.png

back:
CnNbWUul.png

Will this setup improve the cooling (CPU + GPU) compared to a ST30 240mm alone? :confused:
Hopefully the air coming into the PSU won't be too hot. Would it be a good idea to mod the PSU fan and connect it to the mobo RPM signal?

Hi guys,

Following Necere advice to choose a slim rad, the Alphacool ST30 240mm looks like a good choice with 30mm width.
Adding 25mm for a fan, this leaves ~35mm free space before a SFX-L 500W PSU. Plenty room for another rad (like the XSPC EX120)! :D
top:

But looking at those sandwich tests (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?220874-More-Radiator-Sandwich-testing), a simple push/pull seems to perform better.

Will this setup improve the cooling (CPU + GPU) compared to a ST30 240mm alone? :confused:
Hopefully the air coming into the PSU won't be too hot. Would it be a good idea to mod the PSU fan and connect it to the mobo RPM signal?

Can't say i have any experience in this but from simply looking at your renders I don't think you've left enough room for fittings and tubing (see GPU/30mm Rad and 60mmrad/side panel/top panel). And wouldn't the "Fat Rad" run into height restrictions on the top of the case. Original idea though:)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

top:
FukJDrsl.png

top:
WCt6ZHEl.png

front:
EOenSxAl.png

back:
CnNbWUul.png

Sandwiching rads is never a good idea because one will be feeding on the others hot air. So, performance gains will be dismissal.

Best idea would be to go for a low-power card (GTX980 :D ) and a 240mm rad will more than suffice. Heck, even a single 120mm rad would do the job. So, do not complicate yourself. A simple 240mm rad will be more than fine. Forget about putting 2 single 120mm rads because your loop will be uber complicated... and uber painful to build.

Original idea though:)
Thanx! :)

Best idea would be to go for a low-power card (GTX980 :D ) and a 240mm rad will more than suffice.
Thanx a lot, That's what I wanted to know! Let's keep it simple!

I am indeed looking at a 970 or 980 card, the latter being a bit expensive for my needs.
Wondering if a D5 pump will fit in the bottom/front of the case, with a short 970 and a SFX-L? Didn't see that pump in a build yet I guess.

Anyone tried an MSI 980 yet or either of the Asus 970/980 cards?

I will get my Strix 970 today - on my way to the postal office. But unfortunately, my M1 v2 departed yesterday from New York, waiting eagerly :D

will post my experiences^

I will get my Strix 970 today - on my way to the postal office. But unfortunately, my M1 v2 departed yesterday from New York, waiting eagerly :D

will post my experiences^
If you get the chance can you measure the height. It's supposed to be 140mm (so 1mm less than the MSI which we know just about fits), but from the pictures I've seen of the Strix it looks taller than the MSI.

1. The gap you mention. Why is it there?
Which gap are you guys talking about?
It's not only the case that will gather dust, and blowing it out is actually discouraged (at least if using a compressor or similar), because electrically conductive dust material may gather under surface mounted BGA chips, shorting them out sooner or later.
Where did you hear this? It sounds like one of those theoretically possible but extremely implausible types of conjectures. Particularly in a home environment. A machine shop would be a different story. Obviously filters and positive pressure makes things easier, but it's not the be all and end all of case ventilation, particularly when it's so difficult to achieve in such a small case or introduces unacceptable tradeoffs.

For those considering "exotic" radiator setups, you don't need it. A single 240mm radiator is more than enough to cool one CPU and one graphics card. Most water cooling setups have far more radiator area than necessary unless you're going for extreme overclocks/power targets. I ran my last 2500k/680 setup for years on a single 240 and temperatures were always more than sufficient.

Last edited:
Which gap are you guys talking about?

There's a seemingly stupid gap in the reference cooler shroud, close to the back plate.

Where did you hear this? It sounds like one of those theoretically possible but extremely implausible types of conjectures. Particularly in a home environment. A machine shop would be a different story. Obviously filters and positive pressure makes things easier, but it's not the be all and end all of case ventilation, particularly when it's so difficult to achieve in such a small case or introduces unacceptable tradeoffs.

I got it from a long and very thorough discussion about computer cleaning in another (Swedish) forum, with extremely interesting input from people with solid ESD knowledge.

How great is the risk of gathering electrically conductive dust (e.g. small metal pieces from a heatsink or screw shavings) under BGA chips? Probably not high, but I think it's an unnecessary risk to take if it can be avoided.

The ESD problem is very real though; using a regular vacuum cleaner is a big no-no.

My point is that since it's generally easy to achieve positive pressure, it's preferable to do it. It's simpler to clean dust filters than a case + components anyway. :)

So what do I do with the small amounts of dust that still manage to get in? ESD-safe brushes! :p

For those considering "exotic" radiator setups, you don't need it. A single 240mm radiator is more than enough to cool one CPU and one graphics card. Most water cooling setups have far more radiator area than necessary unless you're going for extreme overclocks/power targets. I ran my last 2500k/680 setup for years on a single 240 and temperatures were always more than sufficient.

This.

If you consider the noise produced by stock 80mm slim fans just to keep a GPU at 70-80C, you can easily beat this with slow 120x25mm fans.

In other news: Darkside LP240 27mm radiator

My no ODD top arrived before the case has even shown up in tracking. Hope it shows up at sending facility sometime soon.

I recall that, after a period of time (so that those who ordered can get replacements if need be), all remaining units will be offloaded in a fire sale sometime in the future, perhaps a month or so from now. Probably will be sold on an "as-is" basis since they can't replace those... But that would be your best bet. They did a very similar thing for the first run of cases.

...I also just read through the last two-ish months of the thread, so I know that a rough timeline which included that (possible) fire sale was mentioned, but I don't recall when specifically.

On an unrelated note: I will be getting my hands on my case tomorrow, and will inspect for damage (don't suspect there will be an issue) and post on the spreadsheet. Can't wait!

thx, this is really helpful! I'll keep looking and hopefully I can get one soon, if not I will wait for the fire sale:p.

Completed my build. Huge disappointment on the noise level. The high pitch ddc pump, the noise from SFX 600G. It's even louder than my previous air cool stock HSF inside SG08.

NF9Khc2.jpg

GAaJfcK.jpg

Qq6jnGi.jpg

58bdNRW.jpg

nV8nO5l.jpg

29xchom.jpg

Received it yesterday. I already love it !

I still have to wait until next week on GTX 980 waterblock to start serious things...

Last edited:
Which pump exactly? You don't need to run it at full speed, ~1500rpm is usually enough for small loop with two blocks and a rad.
MCP 355. No speed controller.

I think i may have improved the noise level down a bit. I fill up the reservoir as full as i can. The reservoir is too small for high pressure pump i think.

Those are tricky to downvolt; narrow voltage range. (I mean, you probably can't use the 5V or 7V molex trick.)

But, the rheostat in your third expansion slot, is that driving fans? Can you try the fans off the motherboard instead and do the pump on the rheostat?

Completed my W/C loop!

So happy, quiet and even quieter at load when gaming.

The only noise I hear is the 2x fans running :)

Still in New Jersey. I've never been so disappointed with a damn postal service. Orders delivered internationally already, yet an order to Alabama can't even leave the city it's shipping from. I wish the postal service had a refund policy on crap like this.

MCP 355. No speed controller.

I think i may have improved the noise level down a bit. I fill up the reservoir as full as i can. The reservoir is too small for high pressure pump i think.

Swap out the MCP355 with a MCP35x, it makes a huge difference when you can slow down the pump. I had the MCP355 and while it's a great pump, it's just too loud for such a small case. I have the MCP35x running at 2200-2500rpm and it's extremely quite in my rig.

Just got my case, awesome. So easy to put together (except for tucking away ATX PSU cables...hehe). Only thing I've noticed is that I have the same issue back on page 660 or so where the side panel isn't flush, only on mine it's rear of the left panel that is slightly raised and is not flush with the rest of the case. Not a show stopper, though.

Swap out the MCP355 with a MCP35x, it makes a huge difference when you can slow down the pump. I had the MCP355 and while it's a great pump, it's just too loud for such a small case. I have the MCP35x running at 2200-2500rpm and it's extremely quite in my rig.

Those are tricky to downvolt; narrow voltage range. (I mean, you probably can't use the 5V or 7V molex trick.)

But, the rheostat in your third expansion slot, is that driving fans? Can you try the fans off the motherboard instead and do the pump on the rheostat?

The rheostat is for radiator fans. Thinking of doing it, but not sure if it will damage the pump.

Some jerk stole my N1 off my front porch. I've emailed support@ncase about it. Mega bummed about it, knowing how long it could be before another run is made.

Back