NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

OK, all fees paid to parcel force, should be here tomorrow.

Cannot wait.

Seriously, why is the day sooooo long?

Just a quick question about tracking.
Ordered V2 on june, my tracking number is CC266954839TW, no activity for about 2 weeks.
Is that normal or am I just impatient?

It's about time you take contact with your national postal office and mention the tracking number. The parcel is probably waiting somewhere in your country for delivery until you pay the required customs tax :).

Long time lurker here. Picked up the v2 and completed my build two days ago. It's looking pretty good so far, tight on space of course. Absolutely a pleasure to build in.

Only issue has been bleeding my H220 loop with my GPU in there. I did tight tubes so it was impossible to have a good amount of vertical space between the radiator and the other components. The fairly loud CPU cooler and the sound of water when I tilt the machine is letting me know there is definitely air trapped, but I've tried shaking it for three hours and let it run by itself overnight. I'm getting pretty high temperatures in the mid-50s at idle with my i7-4790K, but I've yet to stress test. Suggestions?

Ordered V2 on june, my tracking number is CC266954839TW, no activity for about 2 weeks.

Try the tracking number with your domestic national carrier. If it doesn't pick up anything, email [email protected] and check there hasn't been a digit transposed in the tracking number.

So... The new Swiftech H220X seems like a really tight fit, if it fits at all in a M1, so that got me wondering if there are alternatives to the H220 (without the X) in terms of 1) powerfull pump so you can expand and 2) adjustable tubes.

Are there AIO watercoolers like it, or should I start buying H220's in bulk ?

Just a heads up: we've run out of no-ODD slot cases so we've removed them from the order page.

Small question, does anyone know the size of the box the case is shipped in? Want to know if it's the sort of size I want to be picking up at the depot or not.
It's just slightly larger than the inner box. i.e., not big at all.

No, judging by the statistics tab on the NCASE spreadsheet, it was roughly 50/50 with the V1, but the V2 currently has twice as many ODD users as non-ODD users. Necere or W360 could probably give us a more accurate number, but going by the spreadsheet, there are more ODD users than non-ODD.
The spreadsheet is a good representation. Total orders show about 2x for the ODD option. The gap is slightly narrower with silver, but black is almost 2x on the dot.

It might be. What country are you in?

Only issue has been bleeding my H220 loop with my GPU in there. I did tight tubes so it was impossible to have a good amount of vertical space between the radiator and the other components. The fairly loud CPU cooler and the sound of water when I tilt the machine is letting me know there is definitely air trapped, but I've tried shaking it for three hours and let it run by itself overnight. I'm getting pretty high temperatures in the mid-50s at idle with my i7-4790K, but I've yet to stress test. Suggestions?
That does seem high, but then I haven't kept up on what's normal for that CPU.

Btw, it's a good idea to run the H220 pump through the included splitter, which should be powered from the PSU. You want to do this to ensure the pump gets the full 12v at all times. With the splitter attached to a PWM fan header on the motherboard, you can run the pump at a lower speed, which is what I'd recommend. The H220 seems to have a high failure rate, and running it slower should prolong its life considerably. It should also cut down on pump noise.

What I ended up doing with the H220, since the motherboard I used only has two fan headers, was to run the pump and one of the rad fans through the splitter, which is connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard, and the second fan off the system fan header. Then I used Speedfan to keep the pump+fan at <30%, while the second fan ramps up to 70% (where it hits max speed) under load. You could also use a second splitter just for the fans, but I didn't find it to be necessary. With this setup, noise and temps are both kept to moderate levels.

So... The new Swiftech H220X seems like a really tight fit, if it fits at all in a M1, so that got me wondering if there are alternatives to the H220 (without the X) in terms of 1) powerfull pump so you can expand and 2) adjustable tubes.

Are there AIO watercoolers like it, or should I start buying H220's in bulk ?
I can pretty much guarantee the H220X won't fit. As far as H220 alternatives, there's the Coolermaster Glacer 240L (essentially a rebadged H220), and the Fractal Design Kelvin S24.

Last edited:
I have some questions on cooling scenarios: Has anyone fit a 52mm thick AIO radiator + 25mm fan into the M1? I'm specifically talking about the Zalman LIQ-320, which I currently have two of in my mATX build.

I looked on the spreadsheet, and the closest thing I could find was the H80i + 12mm fan, which would get me to 50mm, and I know I can dremel off the back/"pull" fan mount if I needed those few mm. However, I'm more concerned with potential tubing routing/space issues.

Alternatively, NE has a refurb Corsair H55 for $28, but I'm looking for a quiet, undervolted build (I have a choice between a 4340 or 3570K), so I might just run on air if I got with a power-sipping CPU.

I have some questions on cooling scenarios: Has anyone fit a 52mm thick AIO radiator + 25mm fan into the M1? I'm specifically talking about the Zalman LIQ-320, which I currently have two of in my mATX build.

I looked on the spreadsheet, and the closest thing I could find was the H80i + 12mm fan, which would get me to 50mm, and I know I can dremel off the back/"pull" fan mount if I needed those few mm. However, I'm more concerned with potential tubing routing/space issues.

Alternatively, NE has a refurb Corsair H55 for $28, but I'm looking for a quiet, undervolted build (I have a choice between a 4340 or 3570K), so I might just run on air if I got with a power-sipping CPU.
The Zalman isn't going to fit. Tubing is already very tight with the H80i (38mm thick). See the discussion starting here about thicker rads in the M1.

I'm not going to recommend anything because I don't have the case yet but I'm planning on using a Corsair H105 which is of the thicker variety with only two fans in pull (so that the tubing doesn't kink like all hell broke loose). I think and hope it'll work because some has already pulled it off, if I remember correctly.

The Zalman isn't going to fit. Tubing is already very tight with the H80i (38mm thick). See the discussion starting here about thicker rads in the M1.

Great, thanks--I can't believe I forgot about those detailed tests you guys ran. I think I might just go low-power and see just how low wattage I can go while maintaining my current use experience. Yes, I am just that excited over a 35W savings @ idle.

I'm in Turkey.

Only activity on the tracking is the flight on 8 August to ISTANBUL TURKEY. No custom office info is set.
National carrier tracker also shows the same info, no more no less.

I think I should call the national postal office.

I don't suppose anyone has traveled on an airplane with one of these machines in their carry-on? It seems small enough to fit. I figure water cooling is a no-go if you plan to do this, but would you have to disassemble anything else if it's in your carry-on where only you are handling it?

I don't suppose anyone has traveled on an airplane with one of these machines in their carry-on? It seems small enough to fit. I figure water cooling is a no-go if you plan to do this, but would you have to disassemble anything else if it's in your carry-on where only you are handling it?

Third picture in the user gallery, http://i.imgur.com/6WjwRe0.jpg

Doubt you'd have to disassemble it but you'd have to let security take a look inside and xray it without the side panel, then wipe a cloth/glove all over it to check for explosives (possible static discharge). Not something I'd be doing myself.

Please check the specs!

From the compatibility section of our website:

M1 GPU size limitations said:
Max width:
  • For cards up to 12.5" or cards in the third slot: 4.4"
  • For cards up to 11.5" in the first or second slot: 5.5" (4.7" at the PCIe power connectors)

ASUS R9 280X Direct CU II product page:
Dimensions
11.2 " x 5.7 " x 1.5

ASUS STRIX R9 280 product page:
Dimensions
11.2 " x 5.7 " x 1.5

Both of these cards also have significantly taller PCBs than normal, which means they wouldn't fit even without the overhanging cooler, due to the PCIe power connectors not having enough space.

With heatpipes like that, no way.

Even this card doesn't fit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121803

(look at 4th picture, with the shot of the back)
Be careful - pictures can be deceiving. The ASUS card has a taller PCB and cooler, which throws off the proportions; in actuality, the Zotac is smaller despite the apparent large heatpipes:

(Scaled to the PCIe connector and bracket)

Assuming the 4.92" height is accurate, the Zotac should fit in the M1. The PCB is normal height, so the power connectors won't have any issues. The extra half slot thickness should be fine as well.

Awesome! I can't believe the card is that small when put next to the other one, I figured most cards were around the same height.

Some good news about FrozenQ res (from OCN http://www.overclock.net/t/1214130/ocn-frozenq-reservoir-owners-club/1820):

Originally Posted by Frozen-Q

We have made quite a few changes to improve them. These changes we're introduced in the last batch. (We only run about 12 at a time).

Below are the changes:

- Flat counter bore for the screw holes to prevent pressure from cracking out sides of face plate
- Consistent type of shallow fill plugs, we had an issue where some were too long causing them to conflict on the bottom and not seal properly
- Custom o-rings sized more appropriately for a better seal on the face plate
- Internal machining done using a better type of end mill which has been leaving a much smoother finish.
Originally Posted by Frozen-Q

All orders come from the new batches. Like I said, we do them in runs of 12. The last few runs have been the revised type. Any orders placed here on out definitely will be.

Doubt you'd have to disassemble it but you'd have to let security take a look inside and xray it without the side panel, then wipe a cloth/glove all over it to check for explosives (possible static discharge). Not something I'd be doing myself.
I doubt you'd have to remove the side panel or have it swabbed. X-Rays penetrate your aluminum laptop just fine, they'll go through your desktop too. Thought perhaps not quite as well given the increased thickness. I've never seen them have someone disassemble something they're carrying to swab it, usually it's just the person's hands or the bag.

Please check the specs!

From the compatibility section of our website:

ASUS R9 280X Direct CU II product page:

ASUS STRIX R9 280 product page:

Both of these cards also have significantly taller PCBs than normal, which means they wouldn't fit even without the overhanging cooler, due to the PCIe power connectors not having enough space.

Be careful - pictures can be deceiving. The ASUS card has a taller PCB and cooler, which throws off the proportions; in actuality, the Zotac is smaller despite the apparent large heatpipes:

(Scaled to the PCIe connector and bracket)

Assuming the 4.92" height is accurate, the Zotac should fit in the M1. The PCB is normal height, so the power connectors won't have any issues. The extra half slot thickness should be fine as well.

just to make a point on this - which height measurements are you guys using for this? from the bottom of the PCB or the bottom of the pcie bracket?

different card makers use different measurements for their cards - for instance my XFX 290 DD is measured at 5.63 inches - which shouldnt fit - however its in my M1 and fits with probably almost an inch to spare (see my link to my build on OCN). this is because xfx are including the PCIE rear bracket in thier measurement, which adds significantly to the overall measurements.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/...9-290-double-dissipation-edition-r9-290a-edfd

just top clear this up - cards will fit over the 5.5 inch height if the manufacturer includes the bracket in its height measurements.

just to make a point on this - which height measurements are you guys using for this? from the bottom of the PCB or the bottom of the pcie bracket?

different card makers use different measurements for their cards - for instance my XFX 290 DD is measured at 5.63 inches - which shouldnt fit - however its in my M1 and fits with probably almost an inch to spare (see my link to my build on OCN). this is because xfx are including the PCIE rear bracket in thier measurement, which adds significantly to the overall measurements.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/...9-290-double-dissipation-edition-r9-290a-edfd

just top clear this up - cards will fit over the 5.5 inch height if the manufacturer includes the bracket in its height measurements.
Most manufacturers exclude the bracket from the measurement, which is how I'm measuring it. You're right that not all do it this way, though. What's worse is that some give the measurement only for the PCB - not including any heatpipe/cooler overhang. Makes it practically worthless to even list in those cases. Luckily the majority seem to have settled on PCB+cooler height.

The bracket adds about 15mm/0.6" to the height.

Last edited:
Necere, is it possible to order the plastic clips that hold the panels to the frame? do you know whom i should contact?

If I ordered one now, when would it arrive? (I'm in NY, USA) The site says it'll ship on 9/22?

ZWiVpYjl.jpg

:( :( :(

Yay mine has arrived! I have to start buying some parts now... just need NewEgg to start stocking that 600W!

The case is stunning, thank you :)

Edits: I've updated the spreadsheet, and also after a moving it around the desk my case does wobble a little, but hopefully when I load it up it will even out.

Last edited:
I have a very distracting package sat next to me at work. Not sure how I'm going to get any work done today.

Yeah, this seems to be a common problem. I'm guessing that the plastic "dries out" and cracks too easily. Lian Li should perhaps try another plastic or change the construction of these clips.

It happened to all four clips in the top of my M1 after about half a year or so.

I got a bunch of replacement clips through the Ncase site.

Finally got it, assembly as we speak.
I also got the wobble of the feet but is so small no problems and once you put things in it it disappears, i think because it has such nice and small tolerances :)

The case is a dream !!! Perfect quality.
Pics will come soon.

Thank you guys for a wonderful product.

Can anyone confirm that if you screw/tighten the feet, the wobbling goes away? Someone on Sweclockers did that and it removed the problem.

Be sure not to overtighten, as this is aluminium. You'll shred the thread right out.

Be sure not to overtighten, as this is aluminium. You'll shred the thread right out.

The feet are plastic, so hopefully if you're careful, the screw will embed into the plastic before damaging the threads in the case. At least that's what mine seemed to be doing (tightened them snug, but not as tight as they could've gone).

But yeah, either way.. be careful.

I haven't heard of anyone whose case was uneven once it was populated. Everyone who has mentioned wobble thus far said it went away when there were components in the case.

I think the case wobble is due to the flex of the case at the rivet points. Its essentially not square. When its weighed down by the components, it is simply forced to square up by weight, or even to a small degree, the installation of components. My case will still flex if I apply a force to it, its just belt flat on the table as its no longer feather light as it was out of the box.

Aww no more "no ODD" cases. Only last night it was showing stock ;P

The cart system (or lack of) means I can't bundle shipping for a no-odd top panel along with a case order?

I guess I really don't need another case, but then again, I am still scratching for justification to buy another! (it would be the third&#8230;.)

&#8230;if I were to deck out one as a storage filled 4x hdd case, whats the most commonly recommended cpu cooling solution. Thinking of gaming 3D on the integrated GPU too. Big Shuriken 2 comes to mind, 58mm clearance. There was a photo I saw with the 4 hdds and this cooler. Appeared to be less than 10mm of space between the HDD and the fan, which is not exactly great for a low static pressure low profile large diameter fan. The noctua L12 does very well too, but its 66mm without the top fan. Would be up against the HDDs and have a difficult time pulling air against the hdd. Then again, the ultra low profile solution pushes air against the cpu plate too.

Back