NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

One more case found a new home ... just under €40 for customs. Excellent quality, no wobbling feet.

Building will happen in de coming weeks as components become available. With the GTX8xx rumours for Oct/Nov I hope to get everything spinning before Jan 1st 2015 :D.

b6ojTZ1.jpg

i was wondering if i could my tracking number again, i cant seem to find the email anywhere where the number is supposed to be. i logged in to paypal as well to see if it was there, but no go

i was wondering if i could my tracking number again, i cant seem to find the email anywhere where the number is supposed to be. i logged in to paypal as well to see if it was there, but no go

If you are US Economy, there's no tracking number yet and that's why you didn't get an email. Otherwise:

UPDATE 2014-8-13: M1 V2 tracking info for TW Air, TW SAL and TW Surface updated on PayPal. Aside from US Economy items, if you don't see your tracking info on PayPal, email me at info AT ncases.com

I just remembered, my case did have a bit of wobble, but like people have been saying, it sorts itself after your build in it.

If people don't mind a total noob question... in what order do you put the components and cabling together when building an M1? And does anyone's build log have photos at some different stages? I haven't built a PC since 2003, let alone ITX :eek: Cheers!

Well, I've taken my version1 apart more times than I care to count in the past few days, so I thought i'd document today's effort after seeing your post :)

Should help you figure out how to place it together if you still are interested.

http://imgur.com/a/XPZ0q

**I'm so sorry for the gore I have inflicted upon the case, there are too many scratches / smudges / bumps and broken bits to count :'(

It's alive!

The fan on the SX600-G didn't turn on until about 10 minutes of idling (with my fireplace cranking) and I could barely hear anything when I put my ear next to it with no panels on. All I can really hear is the H60 or 290 idling away... not really a good test with no OS at this stage of course though

Ncase M1 v2
Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5
Intel 4690K
Corsair H60 SE
2x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP
XFX R9 290 reference
Silverstone SX600-G
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (2x 3.5" to be added)

14916823305_bf4dea279a_o.jpg

Thank you for sharing Rezot! I just saw your post it would have saved me a lot of time. Such a brilliant log! But I did learn something tonight - how to read instruction manuals for the first time. And thanks to everybody who put up with all my noobie questions and helped me get this far :)

Last edited:
Just got my case! I'm from the Netherlands, case has been in customs for 2 days. Had to pay E31,10 taxes. Case arrived in mint condition! Now just waiting on my parts!

It's alive!
Nice build, looking good !

Just got my case! I'm from the Netherlands, case has been in customs for 2 days. Had to pay E31,10 taxes. Case arrived in mint condition! Now just waiting on my parts!

Good to hear, with the V1 cases, the cases for NL were sent via boat, which meant a few months delay.

My case is in customs here in Denmark according to the tracking. Apparently it's lacking "import documentation" so I'll probably be receiving a letter soon. Good thing it got here so quickly though, I'll be moving out soon.

Love seeing all these fresh builds. Not to be cheesy here, but the enjoyment you guys get out of it, more than anything else, makes it worthwhile :)

Sitting here in the garden with my son and a friend of mine. Got the case out and explaining all the details. Good stuff. You are both awesome Necere and Dan!

:)

Well, I've taken my version1 apart more times than I care to count in the past few days, so I thought i'd document today's effort after seeing your post :)

Should help you figure out how to place it together if you still are interested.

http://imgur.com/a/XPZ0q

**I'm so sorry for the gore I have inflicted upon the case, there are too many scratches / smudges / bumps and broken bits to count :'(

Rezot, nice build! How is the noise of your build at load? What CPU cooler are you using?

Seeing all these arrivals makes me so happy mine are coming by economy shipping in the US. That way I won't have it to drool over and tempt me into spending money on a sub-optimal build until around the time the components I want for it are actually available. (600W SFX or 500W SFX-L and GTX 880)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Seeing all these arrivals makes me so happy mine are coming by economy shipping in the US. That way I won't have it to drool over and tempt me into spending money on a sub-optimal build until around the time the components I want for it are actually available. (600W SFX or 500W SFX-L and GTX 880)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What's the money doing otherwise? ;)

hey guys

below is a link to OCN with some quick pics and notes from my build in the M1 v2 this morning, including the SX600-G from Silverstone.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1300645/official-usff-sff-club/920#post_22712179

W360/Necere - outstanding work on the case. very little to criticize at all. the only thing for me is my left side panel has maybe a 3-4mm rise from the front to back, meaning it sits level with the top panel at the front and slightly higher at the back. ill look into checking out all the clips to see if one of those isnt sitting correctly.

and yes, the H80i does fit but i would not recommend using it at all - tis pretty tight in there.

hey guys

below is a link to OCN with some quick pics and notes from my build in the M1 v2 this morning, including the SX600-G from Silverstone.

W360/Necere - outstanding work on the case. very little to criticize at all. the only thing for me is my left side panel has maybe a 3-4mm rise from the front to back, meaning it sits level with the top panel at the front and slightly higher at the back. ill look into checking out all the clips to see if one of those isnt sitting correctly.

and yes, the H80i does fit but i would not recommend using it at all - tis pretty tight in there.
Nice build mate! I now have exactly the same appreciation for the M1 as you wrote about since I realised just how well thought out it really is. As I was fitting some parts I was thinking "I really wish there was another set of mounting holes just slightly over this way..... oh wait, there is!"

Nice build mate! I now have exactly the same appreciation for the M1 as you wrote about since I realised just how well thought out it really is. As I was fitting some parts I was thinking "I really wish there was another set of mounting holes just slightly over this way..... oh wait, there is!"

thanks, i look forward to seeing yours!

i know right - the only thing i couldnt do with my particular build was put the centre screw on the interior SSD holder as it was covered by the ODD HDD and the PSU, meaning i only have the 2x side mount screws in, which holds it plenty steady.

i was gobsmacked by how great the case was, and how rigid and well constructed it was for a small case. no flex anywhere.

In the UK and tracking shows mine left Coventry this morning but doesn't say about the duty so I'm guessing Royal Mail will either attempt a delivery tomorrow or hand me a letter saying what I've got to pay.

hey guys

I wouldn't use any closed loop water cooling units in the M1 at all if you go water mite as well go a custom loop.

In the UK and tracking shows mine left Coventry this morning but doesn't say about the duty so I'm guessing Royal Mail will either attempt a delivery tomorrow or hand me a letter saying what I've got to pay.

Exactly the same for me.

My M1 v2 arrived this morning, building it out removed the slight wobble it had. Looking forward to getting some newer components installed next month. (E.g. power supply).

I wouldn't use any closed loop water cooling units in the M1 at all if you go water mite as well go a custom loop.

if it wasnt as expensive as it was to go full water, and i was braver and had more time to maintain it id have a go but its just too far a stretch for me atm. for me AIO's are as good as it gets. wish it wasnt the case.....too much work, not enough play.

My tracking number doesn't appear to be valid (tried on the Taiwan Post tracking site and local post). It was in the second round of updates though, so may not have been dispatched yet.

No "Departure from incoming office" for me yet, guess I'm getting the special treatment?

In a couple of the photos of cases that've arrived already it looks like the top panel isn't flush with the side panels - can it just be pushed up a little if it's a bit low? Probably worrying about nothing but I've got nothing else to do while I wait :)

You could always put some electrical tape squares on top of the ends of the frame the panels sit on.

if it wasnt as expensive as it was to go full water, and i was braver and had more time to maintain it id have a go but its just too far a stretch for me atm. for me AIO's are as good as it gets. wish it wasnt the case.....too much work, not enough play.

Yer it does cost more and does take more time to set up but it was fun ;) . The H60 i tested when i 1st got my M1 wasn't any better than the factory intel heatsink on some tests it was worse. Also didn't like how the tubing was rammed in there.

My tracking number doesn't appear to be valid (tried on the Taiwan Post tracking site and local post). It was in the second round of updates though, so may not have been dispatched yet.

Make sure you are looking at international tracking and not EMS tracking
http://postserv.post.gov.tw/webpost/CSController?cmd=POS4007_1

otherwise:

UPDATE 2014-8-13: M1 V2 tracking info for TW Air, TW SAL and TW Surface updated on PayPal. Aside from US Economy items, if you don't see your tracking info on PayPal, email me at info AT ncases.com

No "Departure from incoming office" for me yet, guess I'm getting the special treatment?

In a couple of the photos of cases that've arrived already it looks like the top panel isn't flush with the side panels - can it just be pushed up a little if it's a bit low? Probably worrying about nothing but I've got nothing else to do while I wait :)

Are you in Germany? I got the same comment on DHL tracking and received a letter from them two days later (yesterday). I was able to pick up my case at the customs office yesterday afternoon.

i know right - the only thing i couldnt do with my particular build was put the centre screw on the interior SSD holder as it was covered by the ODD HDD and the PSU, meaning i only have the 2x side mount screws in, which holds it plenty steady.
You know you can attach the screws and rubber mounts to the 2.5" drive first and slide it in on the rounded keyhole mounts? Makes drive installation a lot easier. The L-shaped mounting bracket on the inside front shouldn't need to be removed under most circumstances.

Note the spade-shaped keyholes (on the 3.5" cage and the bottom-forward 3.5" mount) do need to have the rubber mounts installed first and screwed in.

My M1 V2 arrived 2 days ago and i manage moved almost all my component from Lian Li PC-Q11 to the new case. I was not able to install my dedicated graphic card because my power supply is too long.

Visual Comparison - NCASE M1 V2 , Lian Li PC-Q11 , Bitfenix Prodigy
8yrjNjpKbYN7hsX6LDanM3-PlDVzUKbjja7Fgc1kMNzsLcDhlaqMueCbjusbT_XVDOHk-Q=w1896-h955

GpzX4R6u7aM2w49I1ilj4t6xq-rUN_F4RdT_fEDjh1-CteAFTR2l6B1rteZxW4QJQo5EXg=w1896-h955

HAP9t1hCXpdgGLtyencwHB8AzS5V2kCuEUJ3Ntqlo5R1DbZr0Q147mZvT2tsS9riVzrO_Q=w1896-h955

Last edited:
My M1 V2 arrived 2 days ago and i manage moved almost all my component from Lian Li PC-Q11 to the new case. I was not able to install my dedicated graphic card because my power supply is too long.

Visual Comparison - NCASE M1 V2 , Lian Li PC-Q11 , Bitfenix Prodigy
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByTZ-8IAZOcRYUdwaG5VSmhKX1U&usp=sharing

Nice, thanks for the comparison pics. I moved from a PC-Q11, too, but was able to get everything (full ATX PSU) in as I happen to have a MSI GTX 760 ITX version (the short one). It comes in handy. Only letdown is that I had to cram in my second SSD behind the PSU as there was no other place to mount except for below the GPU which I didn't want to do due to airflow (main SSD is in ODD hold).

Likewise. AIO is cheap and easy for beginners. And since I have to fly with it, the last thing I need at security is a bunch of tubing that looks home made, as it would if I built it :p

Back