NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Does anyone know what's the best air cooler you can fit into an Ncase M1? Also, if someone could link me that CPU Cooler spreadsheet, I'd really appreciate it.

Does anyone know what's the best air cooler you can fit into an Ncase M1? Also, if someone could link me that CPU Cooler spreadsheet, I'd really appreciate it.

As far as I know, the Noctua NH-C14 is the best performing air cooler you can get that fits. It's also huge (and heavy) and isn't compatible with all motherboards, so make sure you check before hand. It's compatibility is listed in the Google spreadsheet, which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mJWMjZYSXJvNWNOVzJkdkJPTWc&usp=sharing#gid=10

I plan on using this cooler with two 120mm fans mounted on the side of the case, and one 120mm mounted underneath the heatsink. If anyone has tried this, I'd really appreciate your input (especially temperatures if you've done any measurements)! I know bottom mounting a 140mm fan doesn't work, but as far as I'm aware a 120mm works just fine with the C14.

Also, for those wondering, I got my NCASE M1 this morning (I live in NS, Canada). Looks great! One side panel has a few very small chips and/or scratches, but they're on the side of the case that will be facing away from me, and they're minor enough that I don't really notice them. Otherwise the case is excellent, and I can't wait to do my first mITX build in it! Thanks again Necere and W360!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if using a microfiber cloth on the aluminum would scratch it? I'm trying to get rid of fingerprints.

As long as there are no impurities in the cloth (dirt or other debris), a microfiber cloth is probably your best bet for removing fngerprints. I use one on all my PC and hifi gear.

I received my cases yesterday, August 12, 2014, on the West Coast, USA. They appear to be damage free.

Thank you again Necere and Wahaha360.

vJljWL.jpg

If people don't mind a total noob question... in what order do you put the components and cabling together when building an M1? And does anyone's build log have photos at some different stages? I haven't built a PC since 2003, let alone ITX :eek: Cheers!

Here's a picture of my finished build :)
eMp8I5Y.jpg

Temps are higher, but I kind of expected that, and they're only going to be worse until I get some water cooling in there.

If people don't mind a total noob question... in what order do you put the components and cabling together when building an M1? And does anyone's build log have photos at some different stages? I haven't built a PC since 2003, let alone ITX :eek: Cheers!

I'm actually working on a time lapse of me building into my v2 right now.

For me though, I got the front panel connectors roughly where I wanted them, and mounted the CPU cooler to the mobo, then put the mobo in, next was the GPU, then the PSU (fully modular), and then I stuck the wires in last.

Here's a picture of my finished build :)

Temps are higher, but I kind of expected that, and they're only going to be worse until I get some water cooling in there.

I'm actually working on a time lapse of me building into my v2 right now.

For me though, I got the front panel connectors roughly where I wanted them, and mounted the CPU cooler to the mobo, then put the mobo in, next was the GPU, then the PSU (fully modular), and then I stuck the wires in last.
Champion! Thanks :) Looking forward to the video too

Nice build! So this makes you the first person with a built V2?

Additional pre orders are up on the website. I assume these are the extras ordered?
Correct, the order page is back up for the extra inventory. These ones are on the boat with the US economy orders, so they'll ship around late September.

Do you guys have extra panel sets?
I believe so, though I'll have to check with w360 on that. We can't currently limit the number of orders through the site (i.e. go OOS) automatically, which is why we didn't announce the order page going back up. That's also a good reason to keep the accessory order page offline, since there's not that many extra panel kits, and it'd be easy to go OOS on those quickly. I'm doing some work on the backend though to process order notifications from Paypal, so it should be good in a day or two.

I believe so, though I'll have to check with w360 on that. We can't currently limit the number of orders through the site (i.e. go OOS) automatically, which is why we didn't announce the order page going back up. That's also a good reason to keep the accessory order page offline, since there's not that many extra panel kits, and it'd be easy to go OOS on those quickly. I'm doing some work on the backend though to process order notifications from Paypal, so it should be good in a day or two.

Alright thanks! Need extra set of silver.

awesome - im interested in getting a silver panel set - just looks too damn good.

also just got a surprise from home (im at work til 8pm today, damn), a picture of a cardboard box with lian li written on it. such excite!

So good!! And so helpful. I like how you left the parts in with you reading a manual and reinstalling the PSU :p ....that would be my entire video if I were to make one :)

You've inspired me to start having a crack at this tonight

Thanks!

Hopefully yours goes as smoothly as mine did. :)

I'm using win 8,1 I turn off saving energy option and uninstall wifi driver and then windows install automatically new driver. No more wifi trouble.

Thanks Irek.. I uninstalled the driver (with option to delete) and it wouldn't re-install without the ASUS/Broadcom drivers ("windows could not find driver software for your device").

The ASRock Z87E-ITX and Z97E-ITX/ac users also have this dreaded Broadcom solution that has some users, like me, frustrated about it's bad functionality. In my case, it's a gamble at power-on if it works or not.

Thanks Phuncz.. sorry to hear, but at least I'm not alone in my frustration. I'm wondering if the underlying issue is simply just a driver issue, or if it's something worse?

As long as the adapter isn't fubar'd from not being able to come out of sleep properly, mine seems to work pretty damn good the rest of the time. It's really a shame the mobo manufacturers and Broadcom haven't attempted to address this issue yet (and they should all be bloody embarrassed for even releasing their products in the first place).

Weird.. just tested sleep, and instant red X. But this time, even hitting the clear CMOS button didn't fix it.. had to kill power to my UPS (that or pulling the plug fixes it every time).

As long as it fits, any replacement card should work from what I understand. I almost went that route to add a sound card before I decided I could live without it.

I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but I'm very tempted to buy an Intel mini-PCIe wireless adapter and see if I can somehow gut the stupid ASUS Wi-Fi GO! module and transplant it in.

Physically, it should work, if my research is correct. From the pictures in this review of its sister, the Z87i-Pro (LINK), the module contains the Azurewave AW-NB110H (Atheros AR9462), which I'm pretty sure is a standard PCIe half mini card.

So, if I go that route, I'll either get the Intel 7260 AC/BT and transplant it into the housing (hopefully the BIOS isn't specific to the adapter).. or just get the Atheros Wi-Fi GO! module and deal with b/g/n (Pro and Deluxe boards have different BIOS, so still might not work).

Tldr; Anyone with the Euro Z87i-Pro (not Deluxe) have any wireless issues??

Thanks Irek.. I uninstalled the driver (with option to delete) and it wouldn't re-install without the ASUS/Broadcom drivers ("windows could not find driver software for your device").
As far as I know the BCM4352 (it is the P/N of the card on the Z87E-ITX) can't work without the Broadcom drivers.

Thanks Phuncz.. sorry to hear, but at least I'm not alone in my frustration. I'm wondering if the underlying issue is simply just a driver issue, or if it's something worse?
I have the v6.5.1.5100 for Windows 7 and like the previous versions, it has never made any difference. It is also at startup and it doesn't matter if I immediately log in or wait 15 minutes: it just works at random. Today and yesterday it worked. A few before that, it didn't. I suspect a bad electrical design, since it does not seem to correlate with any patterns and rebooting doesn't help unless I power down.

It's really a shame the mobo manufacturers and Broadcom haven't attempted to address this issue yet (and they should all be bloody embarrassed for even releasing their products in the first place).
Yeah it's a shame but I guess the problem is not wide-spread enough and it doesn't help it works randomly, meaning you have about a 50% chance of seeying it and then there is absolutely no clue why it doesn't work.

Holy nutballs ! My silver v2 allready arrived (Belgium). Customs tax hurt a little though :p Now where's that Silverstone SX600-G dammit !

Ok I'll be serious now. Is there a list we can fill in to mark that I got my baby ?

PostNL just tweeted me that my package is in the van to be delivered today. Duty is 36.10 euro and needs cash / exact change! Now to find an excuse to leave work early...

PostNL just tweeted me that my package is in the van to be delivered today. Duty is 36.10 euro and needs cash / exact change! Now to find an excuse to leave work early...

Had it delivered to my dad, whom was fortunately at home. I got the same 36.10 euro tax. I will get to inspect it myself this weekend.:D

Received my case just a moment ago, had to pay € 36.10. So happy with it, it's even smaller in real! Will definetly upload some more pictures when I finish the build!

24w7qs4.jpg

Last edited:
will post my build tmw guys....was gunna do it tonight but had a pretty gnarley shift in the ambulance today so i thought id wait until my sanity returns a bit before playing with new toys!

will i be the first to be building the v2 with the SFX 600-G? if so ill take some video so you guys can get an idea on the noise levels im getting from it :)

will i be the first to be building the v2 with the SFX 600-G? if so ill take some video so you guys can get an idea on the noise levels im getting from it :)
hehehe just managed to start ahead of you :p

I'm sure you'll be done before me though, I have a ton of work I should be doing instead of this. But I just wanted to check... does everything look okay before I go on too far? I installed the PSU with fan to inside as advised, so I assume the H60 will be intake, PSU and blower GPU will exhaust? Cheers :)

14728858427_93e1f1bf2e_o.jpg

14912356501_4f256ef039_o.jpg

14728858067_0276cab622_o.jpg

Back