NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

W360 recently sent out confirmation emails to everyone who ordered, so you might want to check your spam folder if you didn't see it. Latest report is that everything is proceeding as scheduled.

Negatory, it can't be everyone. Unless by recently you mean the original confirmation email from the start of this month?

W360 recently sent out confirmation emails to everyone who ordered, so you might want to check your spam folder if you didn't see it. Latest report is that everything is proceeding as scheduled.

That was the email asking buyers to confirm their shipping address, right?

Hey guys,

The order for M1 V2 production will finish Aug 1, TW Air, S.A.L and Surface will start shipping Aug 4. US Economy will on freight to NJ USA, then sent to customers via USPS.

Update also on first post.

And another batch of M1 slaves will soon join our ranks muhaha ! Build my pretties, build !!

The H220 pump is not released separately and can't be replaced. Perhaps you were thinking of the Apogee Drive II which uses the MCP35X? (not the MCP35B)

I did mean to link the MCP35X, yes.

Although as far as dimensions and mounting points the 35B and X are identical (unless I'm more uninformed than I think)

I'm just trying to say that you can replace the pump on the H220 with another DDC style pump if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Although as far as dimensions and mounting points the 35B and X are identical (unless I'm more uninformed than I think)

I'm just trying to say that you can replace the pump on the H220 with another DDC style pump if you wanted to.

The 35B is the fixed speed version of the 35X which is PWM controlled. But regardless, that only applies to the Apogee Drive II.

The H220 doesn't contain a DDC pump, so you cannot replace it with any aftermarket pump.

The 35B is the fixed speed version of the 35X which is PWM controlled. But regardless, that only applies to the Apogee Drive II.

The H220 doesn't contain a DDC pump, so you cannot replace it with any aftermarket pump.

Looking into it more, I'll concede, you're right, I think.

It almost makes me want to get an H220 and a MCP35X and try though.

Looking into it more, I'll concede, you're right, I think.

It almost makes me want to get an H220 and a MCP35X and try though.

Expensive experiment!

Edit. I just checked Martin's review of the H220, as I remember him posting photos of the volute. His opinion is that you could probably make a MCP35X fit if you "dremel out the impeller shaft support".

However, Swiftech just released the MCP50X - it's the pump that's in the H220X, and as far as I can make out it's somewhat based on the pump that they developed for the H220. So, that might have more of a chance to fit. Still I'll wait for someone else to try ;)

Last edited:
Expensive experiment!

Edit. I just checked Martin's review of the H220, as I remember him posting photos of the volute. His opinion is that you could probably make a MCP35X fit if you "dremel out the impeller shaft support".

However, Swiftech just released the MCP50X - it's the pump that's in the H220X, and as far as I can make out it's somewhat based on the pump that they developed for the H220. So, that might have more of a chance to fit. Still I'll wait for someone else to try ;)

Didn't someone mention earlier on that the reservoir sticking out in there new design won't fit the M1?

Expensive experiment!
-snip-

I missed that part of his review somehow. o:

But that's really neat news about the MCP50X. :)

yeah the MCP50X does seem good, I just wonder if aquacomputer will do any other tops for it like they have on other models

If you email them they will certainly tell you. As it seems to be a custom design and not from Laing, they may be disinclined to do so.

I insist upon the honor of the Lady of my Estate that additional orders be taken for this case; to whit, you are probably all robots anyway if you even exist so give this human a chance to buy one.

This message brought to you by the Council For Human Rights Against Robots.

Anyone know when new orders will be accepted? Or if that will happen?

I insist upon the honor of the Lady of my Estate that additional orders be taken for this case; to whit, you are probably all robots anyway if you even exist so give this human a chance to buy one.

This message brought to you by the Council For Human Rights Against Robots.

Email W360 or Necere if they have any extra.

I'm preparing for my ncase build. Can anyone confirm if an 11.22" graphics card can fit on the 2nd and 3rd slot? I have a 7970 reference card. I think 6950, 6970, 7950 reference have the same length. I've been checking around and I don't think anyone has tried what I plan on doing. The spec sheet says up to 11" on 3rd slot, but I may be lucky.

I plan to use a PCI extender to get extra 15mm/0.6" for my ATX PSU. From images I've seen that use a 140mm/5.5" PSU, it looks like there's another 10mm/0.4" space between the PSU and video card. It may be possible to use up to 165mm/6.5" ATX PSU, which is my current one. Though no point doing that if my video card won't fit 2nd/3rd slot.

rewrite

I'm preparing for my ncase build. Can anyone confirm if an 11.22" graphics card can fit on the 2nd and 3rd slot? I have a 7970 reference card. I think 6950, 6970, 7950 reference have the same length. I've been checking around and I don't think anyone has tried what I plan on doing. The spec sheet says up to 11" on 3rd slot, but I may be lucky.

I believe the reference 7970 is 10.7". Normally the PCI bracket is not counted, which might account for the discrepancy. I had that card installed in the 2nd/3rd slot in the first test setup, and it fit fine.

I plan to use a PCI extender to get extra 15mm/0.6" for my ATX PSU. From images I've seen that use a 140mm/5.5" PSU, it looks like there's another 10mm/0.4" space between the PSU and video card. It may be possible to use up to 165mm/6.5" ATX PSU, which is my current one.
In theory, as long as it's non-modular. The problem with flexible risers is that they aren't nearly as flexible as you might think, and there's not a lot of room to work with. You also have the problem of needing to to support the riser and/or card somehow.

I believe the reference 7970 is 10.7". Normally the PCI bracket is not counted, which might account for the discrepancy. I had that card installed in the 2nd/3rd slot in the first test setup, and it fit fine.

In theory, as long as it's non-modular. The problem with flexible risers is that they aren't nearly as flexible as you might think, and there's not a lot of room to work with. You also have the problem of needing to to support the riser and/or card somehow.

Ok sweet. I will go ahead and order a cable to test it on my current case. For support I can probably get something heat resistant to sandwich between the case and the card. I will update in a few days.

I did a search, but didn't find anything in the thread.

I've got an ASUS R9 290 DCU2 OC in my BATX case right now and may move it to my new M1v2. Just wondering if anyone knows if it will fit.

It's the biggest vid card I've ever seen and had to remove one of my opticals in my BATX case just to get it in. I'm guessing I'll just have to go get a new one?

Last edited:
First answer for H220-X was that it would never fit in. Now it have been released with specs:

H220-X-dimensions.jpg

So doent it still fit even Noctua NH-C14 takes 130mm?

First answer for H220-X was that it would never fit in. Now it have been released with specs:

H220-X-dimensions.jpg

So doent it still fit even Noctua NH-C14 takes 130mm?

Depends on where the radiator sits in relation to the CPU block and tubing.

The problem with flexible risers is that they aren't nearly as flexible as you might think, and there's not a lot of room to work with.

61cvggf9g6L._SL1500_.jpg

The final change list for M1 v2:
Additional cutouts at bottom of motherboard tray

M1-v2-15-600x450.jpg

So my PCI riser test failed on my case. The hard plastic end is too thick and won't fit unless I cut part of the motherboard tray. I notice that the V2 has a new cut out. I wonder if that has the same location and size for a PCI express on 2nd slot?

So my PCI riser test failed on my case. The hard plastic end is too thick and won't fit unless I cut part of the motherboard tray. I notice that the V2 has a new cut out. I wonder if that has the same location and size for a PCI express on 2nd slot?
That's not its purpose, but the size and location is large enough to allow a PCIe flex riser to pass through (assuming the bar between the holes is cut). Not that it would do much good, since there's <2mm between the motherboard tray and the right side panel.

So my PCI riser test failed on my case. The hard plastic end is too thick and won't fit unless I cut part of the motherboard tray.

Should work with an extender having an angled connector. These exist, but the only ones I've found are certified for pci-e 1.0, or possibly 2.0. Although 2.0 x16 has plenty of bandwidth, 3.0 x16 would be preferred.

Also, cheap ribbon extenders such as the one in your picture, can be a bit unreliable due to lack of shielding. The best extender I've found is made by 3M, but it's very expensive and the shortest length is 70 cm (I think). It also doesn't have an angled connector, so it's unfortunately unfit for the M1 in every way. :p

It allows you to have your PCIe device somewhere else than in the single slot of the mITX motherboard.
No kidding. I'm trying to imagine where else you'd be able to shoehorn it in this case and I can't, aside from 1 slot cover lower. i.e. Why go through the trouble of the cable?

No kidding. I'm trying to imagine where else you'd be able to shoehorn it in this case and I can't, aside from 1 slot cover lower. i.e. Why go through the trouble of the cable?

For extra room between the PSU and GPU, for instance if you want to try an ATX in there.

Copy pasted from my post on previous page. "I plan to use a PCI extender to get extra 15mm/0.6" for my ATX PSU. From images I've seen that use a 140mm/5.5" PSU, it looks like there's another 10mm/0.4" space between the PSU and video card. It may be possible to use up to 165mm/6.5" ATX PSU, which is my current one."

That extra room more than doubles your option for ATX psu (assuming the graphics card is long). Why would you want an ATX? Call me cheap, but I'm not willing to pay $90 for a loud 450w SFX psu.

As already said, to fit a larger psu. Even the Silverstone's to-be-released SFX-L format 500W psu may require moving the graphics card one slot down; that's why I've been looking for a suitable extender myself (but have found none).

Call me cheap, but I'm not willing to pay $90 for a loud 450w SFX psu.
I think that's a strange conclusion. You obviously spend more than $200 for a small case when a $100 Silverstone would have offered almost the same, albeit a little larger. You probably have an SSD, that is also skewed price/GB-wise. But you have an issue with an SFX PSU that's about half the size ?

The 600W version is to be released in about a month or two, with a less noisy fan and the 33% higher max load means it is less prone to engage the fan. I'd seriously look into that before you'd want to waste $50 on a cable and angle adapter (that isn't certain to work) just to save $100.

I think that's a strange conclusion. You obviously spend more than $200 for a small case when a $100 Silverstone would have offered almost the same, albeit a little larger. You probably have an SSD, that is also skewed price/GB-wise. But you have an issue with an SFX PSU that's about half the size ?

The 600W version is to be released in about a month or two, with a less noisy fan and the 33% higher max load means it is less prone to engage the fan. I'd seriously look into that before you'd want to waste $50 on a cable and angle adapter (that isn't certain to work) just to save $100.

That 600W version is out in Japan right now costing $160+. That sounds about right. I was thinking I can have a friend grab one before he goes back to the U.S. Nahh I'd rather get a Corsair 600W for $35 on sale. Logic being whatever I can save from other parts, I can spend more for others. I agree $200 for a case is quite luxurious, but that doesn't mean I should go on a spending spree. I have a budget and stick by it. I'm more of a performance/price than a 'get the best parts' person. M1 is the only exception I'm willing to make.

I paid $6 for my riser cable and angle adapters are $10-20 ($30 highest), and no I'm not willing to pay more than $25 total for those cables as I'd rather get the Corsair at that point. You're right, it's not even certain to work :( My PSU is $80 and I'd hate to see it go to storage. Maybe I can sell for $35 :/

The SX600-G is not supposed to cost over $150, it's just that expensive because of the low volume delivered, it's brand new, it's replacing another PSU that's still on sale and apparently Japan is more expensive. $100-120 seems to be the expected price, for US customers.

Modular 80+GOLD Corsair ATX PSU's go for $90-120, the budget-bin 80+BRONZE non-modular ATX PSU's which need about as much cable stuffed inside the case as the size of almost a SFX PSU, is not a fair comparison. Those cheap PSU's will also generate more heat, are of lesser component quality (coil whining, shorter life, less stable) and will use more power (meaning more electricity costs).

I don't disagree about the SFX vs ATX, but I'm not too sure where you're going at since I never compared the two to begin with since that would be apple vs orange.

Maybe if Silverstone offers a promo or rebate then I will reconsider it. I'm just personally not willing to pay extra $55 from Corsair 600W Bronze to SFX 450W Modular Gold (mostly due to reviews about the noise, +150W gives me extra room for gpu upgrade, Bronze to Gold is ~5-7% efficiency and based on my current use would just be about $3-5 savings per year based on anandtech reviews). I don't mind the extra cables since I can just hide them in the corner without intruding airflow. I do care about the case size being small enough to fit large cards and cpu coolers, that's why I'm getting the M1.

I can burn more if I want to, but I just prefer not to i.e. water cooling would be really awesome, but I can get away with air cooling just fine. Same logic with the PSU (Corsair is a solid brand so I'm not that concerned about component quality). The M1 really is the only luxury I'll make exception to and buy.

450W that's been out of a while goes for $90. I'm expecting the price to be around $130-150 realistically. $10-30 difference for additional 150W especially in that form factor is too good to be true.

Back